Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Archon - Hard Surface Sci-Fi Study

Patryk
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Patryk polycounter lvl 8
I made this character for a contest and have been sitting on it. I've never attempted to do hard surface modelling in Zbrush before, so this was my first attempt at that. I was busy with my personal life, so I never had a chance to polish / optimized it the way I would have liked, but I feel like the concept came out awesome and is sitting at around 40k polygons.

Replies

• Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    From a purely artistic standpoint, our eyes like to see gradients of color, so the white orbs need shading or color variation, regardless of whether it scientifically 'correct' :grin:
    The model looks good. I think you got a handle on the smoothing workflow.
  • Patryk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Patryk polycounter lvl 8
    Skinner3D said:
    From a purely artistic standpoint, our eyes like to see gradients of color, so the white orbs need shading or color variation, regardless of whether it scientifically 'correct' :grin:
    The model looks good. I think you got a handle on the smoothing workflow.
    Thank you. I made the effect in Marmoset an using emissive property, so I'm going to have to experiment. What sort of method would you use to achieve that effect?
  • Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    I haven't used Marmoset so I am not sure. In Blender I would turn down the emissive level so the color started to show through or turn up the color to get it to effect the glow.
    It might also be the black line you have around the object. That is weird with a light object.