Home Technical Talk

Problem with real time/rendered images in unreal engine

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
ioannespavlvsxcix polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys, for all Unreal Engine users out there...

I'm an environment artist and I tend to make and render all my environments in real-time with unreal engine, however, The best result possible is found by rendering the scene with the maximum quality as possible and with photometric render, that is the one I always use as the top image for my portfolio, the thing is, even though the project seems pretty good and well... ok in the real-time engine, people always come to ask for the environment thinking that the perfect and edited render is how it looks like in unreal, and it's always a let down when they find out it doesn't.

My question is, is there a way to make the scene look amazingly well with the fake lighting in unreal as if it is from a render engine like Arnold? or should I avoid making a far better render when showing my project and just show the unreal engine pics?

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    what's photogrammetry render?   You mean a scene built with a help of photogrammetry?
  • ioannespavlvsxcix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ioannespavlvsxcix polycounter lvl 3
    gnoop said:
    what's photogrammetry render?   You mean a scene built with a help of photogrammetry?
    My bad, it's photometric render, like the one used on render engines like Arnold, Cycles, Octane, etc.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    if you don't have to do something real- time like a game   why use Unreal,    why not those offline renders .     Octane could be even semi interactive if not lots of grass and foliage.        Unreal needs lods ,  AO    lightmass bake and screen space GI  that you have to set up manually . it's not as simple as  Octane for example or Cycles.    It might be in next version  but who knows.

I have a kind of opposite problem  ha-ha.   Everything  we do  looks fantastic in Unreal   and so-so in our own render :(