Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Making Game Assets for my Cartoonish 2.5D Dogfight game

Hello here!

I always loved doing 3D art when I was a teenager but then I went to university to learn about brain research and I did not do much 3d modelling for 8-10 years! Two years ago I left research, started a part time job as a data analyst and start working on my own video game in the remaining time. Here a screenshot of the game I am currently working on:

I recently decided that I wanted to focus more on 3D art and spend less time programming. One of my goal for 2021 is to learn to create stylised 3D assets to make more convincing, eye-catching and fun environments. In this project, I want to focus on creating a jungle environment with aztec/maya ruins, and maybe some machine carcasses. My goal is to try to get to something like Crash Bandicoot 4, but probably a lot simper as I have limited resources!

Here is some concept art I made for one of the new levels:

And here some of the concepts for the assets that will populate the environment.

:) I hope to show my progress with the 3D assets soon!

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Cool project! I like what you have so far!
  • Nodragem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress on making the foliage/tree assets, still need to finish the texture of the trunk :) Rendered with Eevee (Blender real-time engine).
    One concern though is that when I import the assets in Unity it does not look very good.
    I should have spent less time playing with Eevee and more time learning how to do good lighting in Unity!

• Nodragem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Good morning!

Here is how my assets look like once imported in Unity.
    The default lighting was a bit disappointing, and the alpha of the foliage was glitchy on the palm trees.

Below is what I succeeded to reach with several tweaks in terms of ambient light and post-processing (especially by using a Color Filter) to prevent black shadow and pop up/warm up the lighting. I also rectified the palm tree's foliage material so that they are Opaque (? rather than transparent! not really intuitive I know) with an Alpha Clip.

Note that although I like the results, I was unable to reach the same feel/lighting as what I’ve grown used to in Blender/Eevee (see the previous post). Maybe, it is the Filmic tone mapping in Blender that gives part of this feel? I am not sure…

If you have any suggestion, I am happy to give it a quick try!

Hopefully, I should come up with some rocks soon!

• Nodragem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, here are some updates!

I started to add some rocks and to play around with all the elements to get the scaling right.

The models are made in Blender and rendered in Unity (where I miss the Ambient Occlusion very much at the moment).