Home Unreal Engine

unreal engine crashes when using more than a few reflection captures

Loops
node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Loops node
If somebody knows, I have a problem with texture streaming pool size, I raised the default unreal size to 3000, but the message doesn't go away. Also, it destroyed my lighting somehow, That is a production bake...

I'm using GPU Lightmass

I Already caped all the textures at a maximum of 2048 res in order to drop the texture size.

My specs, CPU Ryzen 5 2600X GPU NVIDIA GeForce 2060 6GB 

The number isn't stable, sometimes when I first open the file the error isn't showed and if I play with the reflection capture and build, the error pops up again.
Also when it did it for the first time it was after I placed reflection capture if that information helps.
Before I fixed the textures sizes all textures looked way low res, after I did that the only problem that I Have is the error and problems in light bakes.

If someone knows how can we debug this thing it would really help me, Thanks in advance!

and the lightmap

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Maybe you are over 3000? Try setting it higher? You could also see how much of vram is used in the task manager.
  • Loops
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loops node
    I raised it to 4000, it still shows it.  Vram use is normal. Because all this time I have been experimenting the one thing happens. When I place more than a few reflection capture (in this case it's 12) it crashes every time. And now that I think about it from the moment I placed the first reflection weird stuff happened. That was when the first texture streaming pool error appeared. 

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats weird. It shouldn't happen. Captured cubemap textures are tiny so they barely use memory. Try updating your video driver.
  • Loops
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loops node
    I updated it and it still does it.... I Don't know weird stuff. If I move to 4.26 (I'm to 4.25 now) do you think that will run to this problem again? Because I have a feeling that this might be a continuous problem.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't tell you. Never heard of this issue before. Have you tried looking up on google if anyone else ran into this?
  • Loops
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loops node
    Nope, haven't found something similar :(
  • Loops
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loops node
    For better context, this is what first happened. 

When I made the scene my first bakes looked like this. It was like all the places in the hose were too perfectly lit. It Had 2 problems.

1st I Didn't place in my scene Lightmass Importance Volume (My Bad)
    2nd The material that I'm using for the meshes (Twinmotion Materials) made the light pass through them. I was like a problem with normals. I fixed it by making the materials two sided.

this is a screenshot that I took of the room sometime after I fixed the lighting problem and before I placed any sphere reflection capture

And this is a screenshot of the room after having problems with  the texture streaming pool and sphere reflection capture

I just wanted to show the problems that I encountered and what I did in order to solve them, in order to provide a more clear picture and if we can spot the problem somewhere. 
  • Loops
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loops node
    UPDATE

I think I found a solution to the problem of crashing, but this doesn't fix the light bake.

I had the reflection value to 2048 and read a post that had the same problem and he set the default to 128. I did my tests and the scene doesn't crash after putting many sphere reflection capture and the streaming texture pool error, for the time being, hasn't poped up.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/676876/spherereflection-captures-are-blowing-up-my-stream.html

The problem now still remains with the lightmap.