Home Technical Talk

Very large UV shells. Please help

I have recently come across a problem that I have never encountered before. My UV shells are absolutely massive and do not fit inside the 0 to 1 space. I am trying to model a house to take into Unity. I set my modeling scale to meters and I didn't do anything at all to my UV editor (I assumed everything would sync up...). Also, the house is modular. I am not trying to model it all together and put everything into one UV layout.

Below is a screenshot of the house pieces altogether to illustrate the size.

Below is the UV layout for just one of the walls.

Any help in getting this back to size would be very appreciated. I need a good layout to get this into Zbrush and Substance Painter.

Thank you very much.

Replies

• icegodofhungary
    Offline / Send Message
    icegodofhungary interpolator
    Use the scale tool to scale them down. You also might want to re-map the faces so they're the right proportions. The current layout could cause distortions.
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina greentooth
    if you need a unique texture on all faces, you will need to scale them down and/or break them up into more textures/materials
    if a repeating texture is fine, take a look into "trimsheets" and tileable textures ( quick google search, didnt check content)

• stephenq80
    Use the scale tool to scale them down. You also might want to re-map the faces so they're the right proportions. The current layout could cause distortions.
    Thanks for the information. That was one of the things I tried. Just scale it down. But, doing that gives terrible texel density. Until this point I have done work on characters and weapons (all done in centimeters) and for every asset, I've used maps of the size 1024 or 2048 with a texel density of 20. My building assets are in meters. When I went to UV them, I  set my map to 2048 and TD to 20 and it gave me this gigantic map. When I scale down the UVs of my simple rectangular wall to fit within a 4k map, I get a TD of...3. I don't think that is good. If my characters, weapons, and armor are running around with a TD of 20 and the buildings have a TD of 3, wont players be able to tell the difference?

Thanks.
  • stephenq80
    if you need a unique texture on all faces, you will need to scale them down and/or break them up into more textures/materials
    if a repeating texture is fine, take a look into "trimsheets" and tileable textures ( quick google search, didnt check content)

Thanks you. I will take a look into it. Though, is it possible to maintain the same texel density of assets created in centimeters (for example characters) and assets created in meters (buildings)? Scaling the UVs of the buildings give very low TD.

Thank you.
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina greentooth
    if you are using trimsheets or tileable textures, it is possible, because your UV layout can be outside of the 0-1 grid.
    the textures get repeated outside the grid
  • Kanni3d
    Online / Send Message
    Kanni3d sublime tool
    It's impossible for you to meet your texel density requirements with a reasonable sized unique texture, best bet is to look into tileables/trims.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • stephenq80
    Thanks everyone. It looks like all the stuff I learned regarding making characters and associated props is out the window when it comes to this stuff. I will get to learning about Trim Sheets and tileable textures. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.