Home Technical Talk

Hard Surface Game Character Pipeline Doubt

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
gfcamerini polycounter lvl 4
Hi, currently i'm working on a stylized game ready robot for practice, and made this model in zbrush with zmodeler.
what is the best pipeline to have a good result in baking the maps?
continue with the highpoly and then do the retopo by hand, like organic models, or there is some approach that i can use this model already as the final low poly?

ps: my main reference is bastion, from overwatch.

thanks in advance, and sorry for my english.

Replies

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    I'd at least use some of that geo for the low poly since the topology isn't dynameshed and looks sensible enough as a base to start the low poly off of. Just need to add/remove geo to clean it up and so it'll conform to the high poly and bake correctly. The approach would be to clone it and leave it until you are finished with the high. Then just come back and continue editing that lower poly geometry so there wont be any bake issues, then UV it and export it to your baker. (I'd do all that in blender maya or max etc because it'll be easier to set up the geo with those modelling tools, UVs, material id, naming etc for a good bake)
  • gfcamerini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfcamerini polycounter lvl 4
    Ghogiel said:
    I'd at least use some of that geo for the low poly since the topology isn't dynameshed and looks sensible enough as a base to start the low poly off of. Just need to add/remove geo to clean it up and so it'll conform to the high poly and bake correctly. The approach would be to clone it and leave it until you are finished with the high. Then just come back and continue editing that lower poly geometry so there wont be any bake issues, then UV it and export it to your baker. (I'd do all that in blender maya or max etc because it'll be easier to set up the geo with those modelling tools, UVs, material id, naming etc for a good bake)
    hhmm got it, thanks.