Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - Master Thread

Replies

• Bill Lumbergh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bill Lumbergh polycounter
    here is my Buddha, quick 2 day project modelled in ZBrush & Textured in Substance Painter
    more renders here
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/GBl5a

• VisualTech48
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VisualTech48 triangle
    hey guys i have an odd problem
    i baked my model and the normal maps seems fine but the problem is with the curavture map . it has a lot of wierd lines on it
    has anyone encountered the same problem ?

You are baking from a normal map or from a high poly?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Looks like your normal map was baked or saved as a 8 bits image instead of 16.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Does anyone has come across a bug (?) when both your black AND white brush on a paint layer of a mask both resulting a white stroke?
    Tried selecting other default preset brush, all behaving the same way as mentioned above.

To be more clear this happen very rare and a simple restart of Painter will fix it, but thought I'd just ask here if anyone know something about it.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    T-Rex footprint in Mud, fun one to make!
    More here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/w1XoV 

• Veezen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    was trying to reference the anisotrophylevel channel and seems the tag isnt correct?

//: param auto channel_anisotropylevel; 
    uniform sampler2D anisotropy_level;

[GenericMaterial] Param auto 'channel_anisotropylevel;' unknown.

Im on 2018.2.1 atm. Not sure if i am doing anything wrong. 
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I'd guess your only mistake is the ; at the end of the param declaration.
  • GxD11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GxD11 polycounter lvl 11
    My Buff character
    Fully textured in Substance Painter and rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 3
    Many more renders, poses, and breakdowns on my Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3owmnv

• haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc said:
    I'd guess your only mistake is the ; at the end of the param declaration.

O man....haha Thanks Jerc. Btw is there any way of getting UV2 or turning off dilation inside the shader? I tried multi_tex_coord but seems all the textures get dilated by the uv1.

Edit: After a lot of debugging I managed to do it though is quite a hack XD. In Max, I detach the mesh by UV2 then assign the uvs as vertex color. 
  • Marvjc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marvjc polycounter lvl 9
    Hello guys, I'm having problems with stencils in Painter 2018.2.3
    the thing is that I can't paint over a stencil anymore, not sure what is going on but I can't find the paint again with stencils, is is a bug for this version or something?
    Projection works fine but stencil doesn't.
    Hope someone have an answer to this.
    Thank you.
  • Talyndas
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10

howdy folks, I'm trying to use anchor points in painter, even though you can clearly see I've made an anchor point for the top layer, the option to add one in the mask micro details is greyed out? 
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Yeah that's the problem, you trying to anchor to a layer above it. Anchor should be on the bottom stack.
  • Dsandoval241
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dsandoval241 polycounter lvl 3
    Where do I go If, I'm having issues with substance?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You can try our Discord channel: https://discord.gg/Pc8MJN
  • Vincent074
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent074 polycounter lvl 7
    Does anyone have any insight on the creation of subsurface scattering materials for the vray fastsss shader via substance painter?
    It's really easy to setup a default vray material using painter but there is hardly any info about the maps you need to output for fastsss :anguished:
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Hey everyone, I'm back in Painter after a long time. I have use height as displacement turned on which is what I need for my project, but now I need to make a layer that doesn't displace the geometry, basically a photo to normal map layer. Is there a way to do this without using the height channel and causing displacement. I'm looking for a layer that you plug an image into and it converts it to normal map data.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey I figured it out:
    1. Set shader to use displacement instead of height to displace geo.
    2. Add a displacement slot to your texture set settings.
    3. Make a layer and add a fill, in the fill you can use height to change the normal and displacement to displace the geometry independently, this gives you nice control to use bump maps for noisy details you don't want to displace your whole mesh.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey so I'm a junior user when it comes to Substance, could you please tell me if I'm missing something, there doesn't appear to be a way to copy paste effects between layers, and there also doesn't appear to be a way to copy all the text from one generator to another for example. If I can't copy the effect at least give me the ability to copy paste all the text all at once and paste it into a the same generator on another layer. Are these features really still not in the program?
  • Vincent074
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent074 polycounter lvl 7
    malcolm said:
    Hey so I'm a junior user when it comes to Substance, could you please tell me if I'm missing something, there doesn't appear to be a way to copy paste effects between layers, and there also doesn't appear to be a way to copy all the text from one generator to another for example. If I can't copy the effect at least give me the ability to copy paste all the text all at once and paste it into a the same generator on another layer. Are these features really still not in the program?
    is this what you're looking for? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3A36NYbzzk
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, the anchors just help you attach effects together. I'm looking for a way to copy/paste an effect between layers, not share it. Or at least copy paste the settings between layers.
  • Taylor Brown
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was trying to create a filter in Designer to use in Painter that uses the user channels to do some stuff with the normal map. I tried setting the inputs/outputs of the user channel to be in linear but seems I still have to manually setup the color space in Painter. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Just trying to make it less tedious since people could forget about setting it. Everything seems to be coming across and outputting into the right channels, just the color space issue :( 

EDIT: Seems like its something to do with reloading the filter. Closed and re-opened Painter and that seems to now work. 
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there, so I have an empty layer which I added a paint effect to and drew some displacement. I forgot to turn on roughness at the time of painting and so now I have no roughness information in that area, is it possible to somehow convert the painted displacement data into a mask or something. My only thought at this point would be to export the displacement as a texture and import it back in as a mask, just wondering if there's a procedural way to get the paint strokes into other channels if you forget to paint them all at once.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You should be able to use an anchor point for that? Create an anchor on your painted height, create a new fill layer and reference the painted height in the mask.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh interesting, I'll give that a try.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there any way to stop Substance Painter from including the texture set name in the exported file name, I'd like to explicitly name the exported texture and I can't figure out how to get a simple name to come out of it. It always wants to append some useless part of the texture set name or file name or some other random stuff.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Just delete the $textureSet from the Output Tamplate.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh weird, I had tried that yesterday and it wasn't working. Thanks for your help, I think my issue was I had forgot to manually type the name in full after removing the mesh$ and texture$ from the name so it just put the model name in or something. This was user error, nothing to see here.
  • Zoddo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoddo polycounter lvl 5
    Hello people,

Hopefully someone can help me out with this weird artefact issue i'm having.

I am trying to bake maps from my highpoly mesh onto my lowpoly mesh, however the results provide extremely weird artefacts.
    See the screenshots below for more details.

I had an error telling my I had to update my BIOS, so I did that but the rebaking gives the same results.

Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

This is Painter Version 2020.2.1 (6.2.1)

• malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks like your model is projecting the high poly back on to itself, for concave shapes you have four options to fix this:
    1. Bake those parts separately one at a time with the other parts of the model deleted (worst way)
    2. In Max/Maya keyframe those parts away from each other so there is no overlap and bring the exploded mesh into Painter and bake it (also a lame way)
    3. Adjust the baking envelope/cage in Painter to be smaller and reduce the overlap if possible (best way might not work)
    4. Use name matching feature inside Painter to tag the parts of the model to not intersect with each other, the model needs to be separated and named correctly in Max/Maya (best way in my opinion)
  • Zoddo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoddo polycounter lvl 5
    malcolm said:
    That looks like your model is projecting the high poly back on to itself, for concave shapes you have four options to fix this:
    1. Bake those parts separately one at a time with the other parts of the model deleted (worst way)
    2. In Max/Maya keyframe those parts away from each other so there is no overlap and bring the exploded mesh into Painter and bake it (also a lame way)
    3. Adjust the baking envelope/cage in Painter to be smaller and reduce the overlap if possible (best way might not work)
    4. Use name matching feature inside Painter to tag the parts of the model to not intersect with each other, the model needs to be separated and named correctly in Max/Maya (best way in my opinion)

I think i'm going to try option 2 and just see what happens.
    I already tried 4, 3 is not an option because i'm using default Painter without a cage file (used to always work, maybe not now?)

Yesterday I deleted my parent dummy object, and this seemed to have fix one artefact.

• Zoddo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoddo polycounter lvl 5
    I think I may have the fix;

I exported one part of the mesh and created a custom cage file with only a 0.025cm offset and I used that to bake with in Substance Painter.
    The artefacts are gone, so I'll try exporting all parts seperately together with their bake textures and reimport the mall as one part in Substance Painter again.
  • tgm79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tgm79 polycounter lvl 4
    Does anyone know how to create this type of effect in Substance painter? This is a mermaid outfit from PUBG and it is reflecting the light the way a thin oily film would when you look it from different directions.
  • iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    tgm79 said:

not me but i was thinking of this recently so i wanted to see a video on it and wow, its almost impossible for me to find but i got lucky i guess here it is in motion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjwBCo5C1s4  If anyone finds more that would be great, cool find.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    its easy - simply make a shader that either supports thin film iridescence or fudge it with fresnel and a lookup texture
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Showerthought; it would be nice to have a setting for automatically enabling wireframe when in Mask view. Or even some alternate mask view mode that blends in a particular channel (default albedo) to make painting on a blank mask a bit easier, so you don't have to work with a pure silhouette.

When the brush is tiny it can sometimes be hard to tell where it even is in mask view as well, which this would help with a little.