Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] M1911 HardSurface training

Hey there!

Im new here, and basically new on this whole hardsurface and making of assets for videogames.

So i basically made a M1911 to give myself a project for a portfolio, it would be really nice to get some critice.

Im really new to substance painter but it seems my bakes are fine?

I forgot to do a lot of basic geometry stuff in the process, like the grips.

Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Replies

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Can you post wireframes of both HiPoly and LoPoly cages, please?

7k seems a little high for a pistol or maybe just me nitpicking?!

Although some area's can be improved/revised, like the width which is slightly narrow but overall a close silhouette approximation when compared with a ref.

• VisionsInMyHead

Btw i have a question, i have been trying to make the uv packing process high quality, but it seems some parts dont bake as spected, so im studying texel density and i wanted to know if i could make this gun bake in a single UV map or i might have to split it in Two UV maps

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    For a small gun like this i think one texture set is enough. You might want to scale up some important UV islands to get a bit more detail and probably better bakes. Could you detail what the problem is with the bakes? Might not be related to the scale of the uv island but with the way it was unwrapped.
    Edit: try straightening some of those cylindrical uvs, that might solve it.
  • VisionsInMyHead
    teodar23 said:
    For a small gun like this i think one texture set is enough. You might want to scale up some important UV islands to get a bit more detail and probably better bakes. Could you detail what the problem is with the bakes? Might not be related to the scale of the uv island but with the way it was unwrapped.
    Edit: try straightening some of those cylindrical uvs, that might solve it.
    This edges, i have come to the conclusion that it might be texel density but i have tried a lot of things, maybe you know how to fix them? any advice is good, if you need the model i can give them.

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    You can try increasing the resolution of the texture (i think 8k is max) but i doubt its that. Probably its an issue with the smoothing and/ or uv. Can you post some wires for the low poly and the high poly?
    It also might be a big difference between the low and the high poly in terms of actual vertex positions, so the bake ray is missing its target so to speak.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Hmm...yeah, looks like 'skewing' possibly a ray trace projection issue. If indeed the case?!

• VisionsInMyHead
    teodar23 said:
    You can try increasing the resolution of the texture (i think 8k is max) but i doubt its that. Probably its an issue with the smoothing and/ or uv. Can you post some wires for the low poly and the high poly?
    It also might be a big difference between the low and the high poly in terms of actual vertex positions, so the bake ray is missing its target so to speak.
    NLet me show you, Maybe im just being too perfectionist with this, but it somehows destroys the bevel feeling at long distances too.
    if you need the files feel free to ask for them, i have been a week trying to make those edges look a lot less.