Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Quiet Tuscan Street (WIP)

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron greentooth
    Beautiful stuff, while I wouldn't mind seeing a little more separation between elements. The shots where the flowers are a little more spaced out and placed in clusters are more successful. When the whole scene is over taken by them it starts to get a little too busy. Examples....

TOO MUCH
    Could be a case of less is more. (meaning group these details of flowers/foliage together, or remove some to expose more architecture) For example, just having a part of the top of this bridge show through, or removing the flowers on the left...I didn't even see the ladder the first time looking at this image...

Just having one of those windows on the bottom left have the flowers lessened or removed would do wonders,  and the same could be said about the back...I can't really identify what that that white thing is. 

REALLY GOOD MIX OF ELEMENTS
    These shots show a really good balance of architecture, prop placement, lighting, and natural elements. There are areas for the eye to rest and less is more.

Still an amazing scene though.
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    @pixelpatron, You bring up some good points. Looking at it now, some of the shots are kind of busy. I guess I did go a little over-board with the flower placement in some areas, ha ha. I'm not sure I want to move around anything in the scene at this point, but I'll keep your advice in mind for future projects. Thanks :) 
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message

...and the same could be said about the back...I can't really identify what that that white thing is. 

@pixelpatron Do you mean this?

That's the pergola arbor with magenta bougainvillea growing on it outside the first restaurant. I was thinking of having a shot that would act as a sort of lead-up or transition between the main street and that terrace restaurant but I had trouble finding a composition I liked, so that shot ended up on the cutting room floor. Ha ha, oops.

• franman
    Offline / Send Message
    franman polycounter lvl 11
    I wish I was chill'n there.
  • JamesBrisnehan
  • CF2
    BRAVO!
    Holy smokes man... I have to hand it to you, I am super impressed with how gorgeous this is. I'm definitely going to have to look into Unreal. My PC would probably go into cardiac arrest at the thought of rendering all that plant life in Arnold. Exquisite lighting... Looks like a Thomas Kincaid. Very very well done.
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, I don't know if you would be interested or not, but I recently did an interview with an editor from 80 Level about this environment, and I thought I would share the article: https://80.lv/articles/creating-a-festive-italian-village-in-ue4/

The interview process was a little odd. Arti contacted me out of the blue, saying he liked my Artstation post and asked if I would be interested in doing an interview. I said, sure why not, and he emailed a list of like 30 questions, ha ha. I then spent a week writing about my "process", and creating a bunch of visual aid images. It ended up fairly long and a little ramble-y, but hopefully someone enjoys it.
  • Frankythebeast
    Woahhh ! Great work and kudos to you for sticking with it for too long . GOOD JOB
  • JamesBrisnehan
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi ngon master
    Congrats :+1:

Your detailed breakdown was an insightful read and am I correct in noting you'd created most of the content elements alongside finalised renders, using a laptop?