Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Environment] [WIP] Tavern Interior, UE4

Hey All, 
Wanted to share what I'm currently working on. Up until now I've just been creating individual pieces from concepts found online.
I'ts been my goal to find an entry level prop environment artist position, so I've finally decided to make an interior of a tavern to add to my portfolio.  This is my first time creating an environment and on top of that first time using unreal, yay fun times.
All the items in this scene were made from scratch. Base mesh done in Maya, sculpt in Zbrush, baked in marmoset (it gave me the best and quickest bakes) and textured in substance painter. This piece still needs alot of props made I've started this project two weeks ago and been working on it pretty much daily since then.

I wanted to get an opinion of how I'm doing and If I should stop creating assets for now and just work with what I have at the moment or continue to populate the scene with more things. 
next on the list to create was ;
- shelves for walls behind the bar and around the room,
- a simple table behind the bar and some small beer barrels on the bar counter. 

Here are some screen shots from ue4 ; 

Assets I've made so far, the walls are double sided.  Tried to fit everything in one take :)

Screenshots from around the room

Replies

• Joey_Pistachio
    Added shelves and a weak point light in the middle of the room, as the bar was way to dark  when I was looking at the screenshots. 

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Yooo, this is something I like to link to when images seem really dark;
    It's basically saying generally stick to a 50% value in your base colour values, so not too bright and not too dark, and it'll make lighting look so much better, and make the process so much easier. I think this will help your scene a lot, and it wouldn't be a difficult change to go into Painter or Designer and adjust the values of the colours.

First of all, I think the shadows being cast downward from the torches are wayyy to sharp for a torch. The final image still has really dark bits. After executing my suggestion above, maybe increase global illumination.

I would love to see some medieval posters on the wall to break it up, maybe some wanted posters or "King needs men to fight dragon" or something silly like that? I also feel the lanterns are spaced pretty evenly throughout your scene. Would be nice if there was a fireplace or chandelier or something to provide some variety as well as lighting contrast/difference in a few areas. Would be nice if there was a bear skin rug on the floor. Maybe some flowers by a window? If you had something painted blue or purple, it would easily stand out and bring the eye in, maybe like a tapestry or a coat of arms flag or something.

I really like the scene so far. I think it'll be cool when finished!
  • Joey_Pistachio
    It's basically saying generally stick to a 50% value in your base colour values, so not too bright and not too dark, and it'll make lighting look so much better, and make the process so much easier. I think this will help your scene a lot, and it wouldn't be a difficult change to go into Painter or Designer and adjust the values of the colours.

First of all, I think the shadows being cast downward from the torches are wayyy to sharp for a torch. The final image still has really dark bits. After executing my suggestion above, maybe increase global illumination.

I would love to see some medieval posters on the wall to break it up, maybe some wanted posters or "King needs men to fight dragon" or something silly like that? I also feel the lanterns are spaced pretty evenly throughout your scene. Would be nice if there was a fireplace or chandelier or something to provide some variety as well as lighting contrast/difference in a few areas. Would be nice if there was a bear skin rug on the floor. Maybe some flowers by a window? If you had something painted blue or purple, it would easily stand out and bring the eye in, maybe like a tapestry or a coat of arms flag or something.

Hey dude, appreciate the feedback and the link. 
    Going to work on a fireplace now so it will bring a bigger light source to the scene, after that Ill rework the texture values.
    As for the torches, yeh I feel into a little trap with them, started duplicating more of them to brighten the scene and 2sec later the whole room is covered with torches :P So like you said changing the texture values and a fireplace will cut those down big time.  i've noticed the sharp shadow too Ill work on that after adjusting the textures,

ill work on bring some extra life to the scene with the rugs and flowers. I've made quiet a large window sill on the outside to put stuff on. 
    I just felt it was a little difficult to work on those things early on as the proportions contently seemed off, but I'm starting to get a better feel for things now :)  

• Joey_Pistachio

So made this fireplace and I'm not really happy with it, I feel like it stand out too much, but maybe with some fireplace clutter and props on it might make it feel more at place. But it will have to do for now, had a little set back but getting back to it. I will  rework the torches first as they are bugging the shit out of me, after that Ill work on the texture changes you suggested. 

• JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    You're right, the fireplace doesn't fit with the rest of the scene. Mostly because of the stone texture. The color channel is way too high contrast, with too much ambient occlusion. It ends up looking kind of stylized compared to the wood textures. What reference were you using for the stone texture and the fireplace? 
  • Joey_Pistachio
    You're right, the fireplace doesn't fit with the rest of the scene. Mostly because of the stone texture. The color channel is way too high contrast, with too much ambient occlusion. It ends up looking kind of stylized compared to the wood textures. What reference were you using for the stone texture and the fireplace? 
    looking at it today, I cant leave it like this, looks fucking horrific. Going to stick with it untill its good enough. Here is what I tried to go for.

I think its the sculpt that lets it down big time. I've noticed, whenever I make an attempt at something it always comes out as stylized at first.

• Joey_Pistachio
    Ive just done a quick test with a different material. Feels like I need to rework the top (above the wooden beam) that general stone/brick does not seem to be working for the scene.

• JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    I think making the grout lighter, and not as deep in some areas would help.
    Also, a little variation in hue and saturation between stones would help match your reference.
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, also maybe add a little yellow to the colour of the bricks, it'll sit in more with the wall. I agree make the grout lighter. Once you've done these and added some decorations above the fireplace, it'll help it mesh with the scene more.
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Hey I took a quick look at the link @Ashervisalis shared. I just skimmed it but it looks really useful. My first thought was "it's so dark I can't see anything," and that article seems address that issue directly.

I'd also reconsider the torches. Unless you are matching a reference, those seem like they belong outdoors or maybe in a dungeon or something. They give the scene a grim feel to me.

I think some oil lanterns would fit with this tavern better. Then you can soften the lighting a bit, and I think the detail of the glass lanterns will give better mood to the scene than big static blobs of fire. I thikn that will make scene more pleasant, nostalgic, and cohesive.

Imagine if you are sitting in this tavern. Open torches and the place will be smokey and suffocating. Oil lanterns give that nice kerosense smell, and put out a softer light that makes the comely wench look beautiful.

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I also think your windows could be spruced up a bit texture wise. Maybe don't have the glass perfectly flat, that looks really modern.

• Joey_Pistachio
    Thanks for the feedback going to try to get through it all, not going to lie, got a little bit overwhelmed :D

Spent some more time on fire place, readjusted the bricks to stand out a little less, changed the grout to be lighter and changed the brick colors to match the walls more. also place some clutter just to see how it will look.
    Going to try to add variation to the bricks tomorrow, add soot to the wooden beam and inside the fireplace and some tools for it and dressing for the top of it, a sword or some type of banner.

@Alex Javor  I was going for a darker and grittier look for the tavern and I based the torches on alot of taverns from games and movies  and they either used candles attached to walls or torches. Their number will be reducted quiet alot when the fireplace is a bit more grounded and I've added chandelier. But yeh there is definetly too many of them in the original pics posted.

@Ashervisalis , Yeh the windows are lacking glass at the moment. I was not sure about the whole process of lights coming through glass and glass textures in unreal in general so I've left them glassless for now.
    Last thing, I think I know why I didnt notice the interior being so dark before. I think its my main monitor, its quiet brighter when i compared the pictures I've posted to how they look like on my phone,tablet. etc.

• Joey_Pistachio
    Hey, Didn't have as much time as i hoped this week to impliment all the changes everyone suggested but got thru some of it.
    Went back and adjusted all the textures to make them brighter like Ashervisalis suggested, will need to adjust the lights now to compensate for the lighter textures. Added some decorations to the fireplace, the space left between the shield is for the towns/taverns crest, still looking for a cool design for it.
    Next up will be a chandelier so there are no random light spots around the tavern and will do some testing with glass materials to add a bit of spice to the windows

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah, this is looking so much better with the adjusted textures! You see how you have the ceiling logs colliding with the support beams? I think it would look more believable if they were just resting on top of the support beams. I also think the shields should have an interesting design on them, to draw the viewer's eye in.

• Joey_Pistachio
    Hey, adjusted the ceiling and added chandeliers, Ive also added glass to the windows and some colored tint to it. The dirt is not visible on the glass from distance but up close you can see it better.  I tried making that type of textured "wavy" glass effect but was not having luck making it pop out. Will need to do some more experiments further down the line but I think it works quiet well at the moment.
    Going to work on beer barrels for the counter and some flower pots for windows and shelves to start to add some color to it. Still got a long way to go 
    Thank for all the advice Asher 
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem! Looking great.
  • Joey_Pistachio
    Small update. ALE!, and random barrels :).
    Will start to work on some stuff for the floor, try to make a leather rug and some misc dirt. Not going to be able to work on this after tuesday for the next 2-3 weeks tho :(

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    I think now with the adjusted textures, you could probably decrease the falloff of a lot of the lights. Might want to do that a bit later though, depending on the vibe you're going for. Barrels looking good!