Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] Snake queen character

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Kate_K polycounter lvl 3
Hi guys!
My name is Kate and I have been working in 3D for some time. Now I want to make a good character for the portfolio.

Will be glad to see you in my
Artstation profile - https://www.artstation.com/kozemerchakk/blog
Instagram profile https://www.instagram.com/kozemerchak/
Here is some skulpts steps.
I making this character for vertexschool and it's quarantine course of making stylised character.
I will be glad to your comments
WIP:Sketch

Refboard:

Replies

• IgroMaks
    Offline / Send Message
    IgroMaks polycounter lvl 6
    Great result so far!
  • MAworks2511
    Offline / Send Message
    MAworks2511 polycounter lvl 6
    Glad to see your process! Go on! 
  • tysiu
    Offline / Send Message
    tysiu keyframe
  • Quasar
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Looking great! My first thought was she looks like an evil Jasmine B)
    Only critique I can give so far is that her arms are really short compared to her super long legs. I might even bump the size of her head up a tiny bit. Something like:

• Kate_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Kate_K polycounter lvl 3
    Quasar 
    Thanks for your feedback. Yes you right, I will correct the proportions.
    Yes, she is like evil Jasmin a bit :) I think it is because hairstyle.
  • Kate_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Kate_K polycounter lvl 3
    Hi!
    I continue the character and so far have decided to distract myself and make accessories.
    She will be with a spear. I made one type of spear to think about, but it seemed to me boring and not interesting.
    When I was making the concept, my friend who knows knives told me that there is a knife with a twisted blade thats call - Jagdkommando. I liked this idea and I decided to add it.
    I made a small sketch of the spear to make it easier to sculpt. Perhaps in the sculpting process I will make fewer small details so that this does not contradict the character.
  • MAworks2511
    Offline / Send Message
    MAworks2511 polycounter lvl 6
    Nice idea with slave on the top! I think that u need to add some design on the bottom, couse at this moment u have very big detalization on the top. Balance it)
  • Kate_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Kate_K polycounter lvl 3
    I think you right. May be I will change it due sculpting.
  • Kate_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Kate_K polycounter lvl 3
    A small update for today. I design a spear and finally like the result.
    Tomorrow I will add a few details and I think that I will start doing retopology on the weekend.

I like that I can keep a small blog of my work. This raises mativation to work. So thanks to everyone who follows.  :)
  • Kate_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Kate_K polycounter lvl 3
    Work is not going fast, but it is going. New update.
    I made a head and face retopology, I wanted to make the topology indicative. There are errors, but they will be hidden in the final model.

• Kate_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Kate_K polycounter lvl 3
    Hi, all!
    There is some WIPs of making model greed.
    It needs some little correction and finish details.
    Now I start to see the end of the work. :# 

• Kate_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Kate_K polycounter lvl 3
    So, now I finish topology. Uv next.

• Kate_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Kate_K polycounter lvl 3

It is time for UV. 

I decided to take the chance and stady a new program using this character. I wanted to learn RizomUV for a long time and it was a great opportunity.
    I decided not to put the model in one UVtile, so that the quality of the model was higher and I could make close renders
    So i have 4 part:
    • Head and weapon
    • Hair
    • Body and clothing
    • Accessories and bootsSo there will be one with eyes and jaws, but I will make them separate so that they are universal and can be reused.
  • Kate_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Kate_K polycounter lvl 3
    Hi!

I decided to take a break from 3D.I finished drawing the sketch a bit to put it in the final post in the future. 2D is still not my strong point (I hope to fix it in the future), but overall I liked the result

• Kate_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Kate_K polycounter lvl 3
    I had a little break, but I did textures for my character. This is not final, I will need to work on the colors and balance of the rought.

• Kate_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Kate_K polycounter lvl 3
    Hi guys!
    The work on this character turned out to be much longer than I thought. However, during my work, I have improved my skills and learned a lot of new things.
    One example is the AdvancedSkeleton plug-in.
    Rig has always been a difficult and confusing part of job for me. I don’t want to get a rigger specialization and spend a lot of time getting a lot of knowledge for rig for my characters. However, reviving the model is a big plus for presenting, presenting and revitalizing the work.
    Therefore, this plugin became a salvation for me. I really like that it works exclusively with the tools built into Maya, without adding new nodes, and therefore it can be exported or added to the already existing skeletons.
    Yesterday I did a face rig for the first time in my life! I felt like a kid at Christmas  =)
    If you, like me, do not really like to make rig for a long time, but want to represent you model, I highly recommend it.

And here is a small result:
    https://youtu.be/4OUg8tHXIrg
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Nice work, the body suit is leather? its really shiny atm.
    Nice facial rig will make for some better ortho render poses than the one above with the very neutral face and scary smile.

• Quasar
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Looking good so far! 
    This critique might be a little too late, but here goes! I feel like the body suit is missing a framing element that would help with visually differentiating the various elements of the character. For example, if this character was walking around in a game engine, it might be hard to tell which is the left leg or which is the right leg from a side view since it's all dark. The shininess is also too uniform and would be nice to break it up with a matte element. The third thing is that the metal ridges / protrusions on her hips are getting lost in the scale pattern on her suit . They would benefit from having some sort of frame or base to make  them stand out. I did a quick paint over of how I would solve these issue: basically I added a fabric panel that runs down the side of her body. It's just an idea. you can take it or leave it :)

• Kate_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Kate_K polycounter lvl 3
    DavidCruz said:
    Nice work, the body suit is leather? its really shiny atm.
    Nice facial rig will make for some better ortho render poses than the one above with the very neutral face and scary smile.

Yes, it is leather body suit. The reference of this body was that art 

These pants were the inspiration for the entire costume. But now I am get more roughtness. Soon I will make some renders

And sure this scary face is only for T-pose. It would be more emotional.
  • Kate_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Kate_K polycounter lvl 3
    Quasar said:
    Looking good so far! 
    This critique might be a little too late, but here goes! I feel like the body suit is missing a framing element that would help with visually differentiating the various elements of the character. For example, if this character was walking around in a game engine, it might be hard to tell which is the left leg or which is the right leg from a side view since it's all dark. The shininess is also too uniform and would be nice to break it up with a matte element. The third thing is that the metal ridges / protrusions on her hips are getting lost in the scale pattern on her suit . They would benefit from having some sort of frame or base to make  them stand out. I did a quick paint over of how I would solve these issue: basically I added a fabric panel that runs down the side of her body. It's just an idea. you can take it or leave it :)

Thanks! Not as far as we should be =)
    Thank you for your critique, you version looks better than mine. I see, that silhouette looks clearer. And you right in games it can be important. I will consider this in the future works. This work now in render phase and soon will be finished.
  • Kate_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Kate_K polycounter lvl 3
    Hi!
    Tooday I present to you a pack of my character's emotions. The work on this character is almost complete. This week I am already doing the final renders. You will see the final post soon 

Foosche a face rig provides many opportunities for presenting work. However, along with this, it also throws up a considerable number of technical problems. I still haven't figured out how to properly export the animations of face rig to Marmoset, but thanks to my ingenuity, I was able to solve this problem differently.  =) 
    I am sure you will like the result.

• HarlequinWerewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter
    There's some nice shapes in the face there, I like it. Not sure if it helps but when I use Marmoset and my character has blendshapes, I just export it as an alembic file to maintain everything. You just have to remember to check UV Sets :tongue:

• Kate_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Kate_K polycounter lvl 3
    There's some nice shapes in the face there, I like it. Not sure if it helps but when I use Marmoset and my character has blendshapes, I just export it as an alembic file to maintain everything. You just have to remember to check UV Sets :tongue:

O, thanks, it sound like an idea. I will try!
  • Kate_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Kate_K polycounter lvl 3
    So, finally this long work has come to the end.

It was interesting and very helpful for me. This is the most global work in my portfolio at the moment.

I would be glad if you support me at the artstation - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ELNQY2
    There are also some interesting VOPs of this work on Instagram. - https://www.instagram.com/kozemerchak/

Thanks to everyone who followed the posts!