Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old abandoned bathroom [Unreal4] feedback and tips appreciated

node
Offline / Send Message
Mirikiri node
Hello everyone!  :)
I'm a recent graduate (2020) and worked on this small bathroom scene for about one week after submitting my final project at Uni. I tried to keep everything small and focused on creating my own materials in Substance Designer, as well as, the lighting. I modelled everything in 3ds max and textured in Substance Painter. The grass textures and decals are from textures.com. To create the spiderwebs I found a nice tutorial on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DxzNHsu6MM
I would love to get some critiques and tips on this piece.  :3
Here is the link to my Artstation profile to see more details and turntables: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Ooq5N6

Final render in Unreal 

Unlit and Detailed Lighting modes in Unreal 

Marble material for the tabletop created in Substance Designer 

Broken tiles material for the wall created in Substance Designer (I added dirt in Substance Painter)

Dirty tiles material for the floor created in Substance Designer

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey! Good job on this scene. Here's some crit;

- Cracks on tiles should not continue from one crack to another. Look into the Flood Fill node, as well as Vector Warp node.
    - It's kind of weird that the grass is coming through the tile floor, but there are no holes or cracks in the tile floor. Also, the material definition for the moss isn't super good. For a scene this small, I would honestly make a separate moss mesh so it has form and height.
    - Opacity of the dust effect could be lowered.
    - Increase the global illumination for your scene. I'm having trouble with the lighting... Is it coming from out the window or from the ceiling?
    - I think the grunge on the tub could be textured with a little more thought. Did you have a reference for an old grimy tub?
    - The window sill desperately needs a bevel.The sill board is also hovering above the window frame (you can see this right behind the spider web).
    - You could have used a lot more polygons on the tub's feet. Right now, for your portfolio, don't try to keep the polycount super low on your meshes. It's better to go a bit too high than way too low.
    - Your table seems like it's using a really low resolution for the textures.

Congrats on your grad, good luck on your job hunt!
  • Mirikiri
    Offline / Send Message
    Mirikiri node
    Hey Ashervisalis!
    Thanks for your detailed feedback. I agree with everything you critiqued there is still a lot of work for me to do and to learn. 
    I will look into Flood Fill node and Vector Warp node to be honest I have never used them before so thanks for the tip.
    I used a decal for the moss I thought I would be enough but I agree that I should have done a mesh. 

Thanks again and have a nice day!