Home Technical Talk

how to model this

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hi,

How can I model this M4 front handguard in maya ? I recently started learning modeling and having a hard time to model this for more refer image.

rBVaR1qXqPGAefTkAALGsNSTQ9w003jpg 800800

Replies

• fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    This would be the part where I'd snarkily type "tutorial pl0x" but,

There literally already is a video tutorial showing you how to model something pretty similar, lucky.

Extra tip, picatinny rails, they have set measurements, so you can base the rest of the proportions of the part(and the gun too probably)  based of them.

I'd model those first

• Heman
    thank you for help  and I did search many youtube tutorials but I couldnt make any good handrails soo I thought of asking. Thanks
  • dlz
    Offline / Send Message
    dlz polycounter lvl 4
    As a general rule to model hard surfaces i always try to model the primary forms and then add the detail, in your case there's also a reptition so you have to keep that in mind too.
    fdfxd2 I would use a similar technique than the video he posted but making use of some booleans.

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I like the video above! If you have access to zBrush you can use booleans in Blender or 3dmax (dont know about Maya but it should work) for those pesky hole details, and very simple modelling for complex form combinations. You can find the method here: https://polycount.com/discussion/168610/3ds-max-zbrush-proboolean-dynamesh-hardsurface-workflow-tutorial/p1

• dlz
    Offline / Send Message
    dlz polycounter lvl 4
    @kanga Great workflow! I tested a bit with maya and i see that it works fine too.  You can even transfer the creased edges you have in maya to zbrush (export in maya as .ma to get that working).
    I'll add to that workflow somethings i notice, with the creased edges you can subdivide in zbrush but it's better to have quads that you can get easily in maya with the "quadrangulate" tool.

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Hey dlz. Hmm Im pretty sure with the new 3D app boolean systems that they dont connect verticies. It was a while ago so I cant remember if I quaded the straight modelled stuff. I think I left a mess of ngons for zB to connect up with tris. Polishing in zB by isolating polygroups seemed to do the trick.
  • dlz
    Offline / Send Message
    dlz polycounter lvl 4
    @kanga you are right, the booleans as i know only connect 4 vertices .

These are the steps i followed:
    1. booleans
    2. triangulate and then a quadrangulate to get better subdivisions in zbrush (with the creased edges it only affects the parts i want smooth)
    3. i use the techniques of dynamesh and polish in the thread you post.

I imagine there are different ways to get to the same point but i find that way pretty comfortable