Home Technical Talk

Blender Mega Thread

Replies

• Zeist
    Online / Send Message
    Zeist polycounter lvl 5

Yeah sorry - OSL was supposed to be regarded as a recommendation rather then a necessity for this. I brought it up originally because I jumped the gun and mistook what I saw and in rushing the changes to the post I didn't reflect this well enough. It was supposed to state that it wasn't needed in this case but was recommended because I had always ended up randomly encountering issues with the standard normal bevel node.

OSL will kill performance in Cycles rendering if you have it at 1k for bevel samples, for previewing either lower the bevel samples or probably better yet to just stick with the normal bevel and render on GPU but honestly recommend the swap to OSL at bake times imo.

With 'Set normals from face' that's just how it's appears in the search bar, under the 'Normals' menu it's just 'Set from faces' - it just skips using the modifier, no real reason to use this over the weighted normal modifier with what Udjani said before, just habit. Editing the mesh heavily after this usually means I have to set 'normals from face' again or 'reset vectors' entirely so the modifier is probably the better choice tbh.
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo interpolator
    @Udjani
    like Kirk said above, yeah OSL in Cycles freezes like blue hell. My CPU is a i7-4790k.

Creating a 32 bit float saves it as a 16 bit correctly as you said, and now I can finally see the normal map correctly inside Marmoset :) There is one problem though - I need to make it sRGB color space in Marmo to view it correctly, and correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not normally the standard settings being used nowadays? Certainly at work our normal maps are linear, and the neutral normal color is 128,128,255 - we don't deal over there with these washed-out-looking maps :/ Is there not a way to push out normal maps in the linear color space out of Blender with this method? Switching the Color Space field to Linear in the texture node doesn't change this either. 

Let me know if I'm messing up with any terminology though, I might very well be having a wrong misconception in here.  
  • Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani polycounter lvl 3
    @Justo I just saved a 16bit png as a copy and had no problem with it.

Maybe is the file format? 

• Zeist
    Online / Send Message
    Zeist polycounter lvl 5

Leave the color space set to non-color for viewing in Eevee and use 'save as render' below compression to stop the washed out colours.
  • Prime8
    Online / Send Message
    Prime8 greentooth
    Justo said:
    ...- I need to make it sRGB color space in Marmo to view it correctly, and correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not normally the standard settings being used nowadays? Certainly at work our normal maps are linear, and the neutral normal color is 128,128,255 - we don't deal over there with these washed-out-looking maps :/ Is there not a way to push out normal maps in the linear color space out of Blender with this method? Switching the Color Space field to Linear in the texture node doesn't change this either. 
    Maybe it is an issue of Marmoset that you need to set it to srgb? 8bit normal maps in linear space always look washed-out, that is the same in Blender and Marmoset. If I'm not mistaken images above 8bit are always in linear space. 
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo interpolator
    Okay, I finally got it down...The problem was that I was not setting the image node's color space to Non-Color before baking. If I leave it at the default Linear, the map will come out wrong. 

Thanks for the help guys. I noticed Udjani says to save it as a Copy, and Zeist as Save As Render. I tried it both, and no changes happened that I could perceive - both worked. Is there any occasion in which I should do one and not the other? I can also save it with both boxes checked. 

The text that pops up when hovering over the boxes:

Save As Render: Apply render part of display transform when saving byte image.
    I have no idea what this means. Render part of display transform?

Copy: Create a new image file without modifying the current image in Blender.
    This sounds...like what I want? Does that mean that Save As Render actually modifies the current image in Blender?

@Prime8
    8bit normal maps in linear space always look washed-out

This is incorrect. 8bit normal maps can perfectly look ok using the average 128,128,255 color as the base normal map color :) 
  • Prime8
    Online / Send Message
    Prime8 greentooth
    @Justo
    Justo said:
    8bit normal maps in linear space always look washed-out

This is incorrect. 8bit normal maps can perfectly look ok using the average 128,128,255 color as the base normal map color :) 
    I'm sure that it is correct, are we talking about the same thing here? :)
    Example in 3 Blender, Marmoset and Krita, looks washed out to me at least.

• f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    f1r3w4rr10r polycounter lvl 7
    @Justo I tried a lot of normal map baking related things today, not related to your problem. But I can definitely tell you from what I tried: Do *not* check the Save as Render checkbox when saving normal maps! If you do, that will bake color corrected values into the texture and not the normal data you expect. You should never check that, when you deal with Non-Color data.

An easy way to verify that is, if you have a normal map, save it out without Save as Render, then check the image in the image editor view. Click and hold on a neutral area, it should show 0.5 for the red and green channel. If you now repeat that with a texture saved with Save as Render, it will not show 0.5 anymore, meaning your normal map is not correct anymore.

Oh and as a side note, create normal maps as 32bit float in blender and save them in image formats that support at least 16bit color depth.
  • bitinn
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 3

Quick question: if I have an octagonal shape and I want to mirror a design on it to every face, is there a quick way to do it?

Usual mirror happens on XYZ axis, so I can get to 4 faces quite easily.

My alternative would be to duplicate the face and replace it manually.

EDIT:

actually, maybe instancing is the faster way, just copy the octagon column as a mesh, and use parent-child instancing per face, make the result "real", and bang we have a shape to boolean with.

the drawback is as described in doc, I have to figure out the instanced objects rotation manually...

EDIT2:

ok perhaps Array + Curve modifer is the better approach: separate an edge loop around the octagon and convert to curve, then use these 2 modifiers on my design, and get the final shape for boolean.

Still, because Curve modifier bend the mesh around target curve (instead of rotating instances to face curve), there are distortion I don't want. But it's not a big deal in this case.

For now, I don't see a better option to instance along a curve.

• Prime8
    Online / Send Message
    Prime8 greentooth
    @bitinn
    Did you try Array with an offset object?

• bitinn
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 3
    Prime8 said:
    @bitinn
    Did you try Array with an offset object?

I tried, but not with rotation, it should really be named "transform offset" or something :)
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo interpolator
    Anyone here that has worked extensively with exporting cameras from Blender to other apps? I'm particularly interested in Keyshot and UE4. I was curious if it was possible to arrange a scene in Blender (meshes posed and a camera shot created) and be able to export it somewhere else to be able to render the exact same picture in another engine. This shot in particular is in the portrait format and is very reliant on distorting and exaggerating perspective, so the smallest of differences in its placement would be very evident.

Yesterday I tried exporting FBXs and other formats that supported cameras to Keyshot, but I couldn't get Keyshot to render the exact same picture I had framed in Blender. I haven't tried with UE4 yet, though I suspect the result will be similar. Has anyone dealt with similar needs before, and what did you do about it?
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    f1r3w4rr10r polycounter lvl 7

So far it works great. It also supports exporting cameras, I just have not used that yet.
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN polycounter
    Some software consider the camera FOV value differently, horizontal or vertical. Toolbag for example uses vertical FOV and Blender uses horizontal by default (you can change it, it's the Sensor Fit setting in the camera properties).

If you can get the camera position and rotation imported into the other software (doesn't need to be a camera node, it can be any node that you can align the engine camera to), then all it takes is to adjust the FOV to be the same in both alignment and value.
  • Fletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    Fletcher polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, I need help with UV Editor, is it possible to move this shell so upper left vert would be exactly at upper left corner of uv space (0,1)? And if it is possible to scale/rotate around any chosen point other than default pivot options(like corner of uv space for example)? I thought 2d cursor would help me but it is not snapping to anything. And last question, is there any grid for uv editor? This may be basic but I just switched from Maya to blender and as far as I am super happy with Blender modeling, shading, rendering etc. But UV's are lacking so much so far. But maybe you will help me and I will love uv editing as well :)
  • m00k
    Offline / Send Message
    m00k keyframe
    @Fletcher I've heard that complaint before, you should check out textools addon.
    You can set specific coordinates of the 2D cursor in the N panel. Also if you use the command search function you get the snap cursor command which you can use to snap cursor to selected vertex.

Its a bit of a workaround but you can check the coordinate of the vertex which you want on the corner, say the vert has coord 0.6 and 0.2 and you want to move it so that vertex has 0 and 0 and the rest moves along. You just select all verts and subtract the first coordinate from the median coordinate and same for the second.

Also you can try using this setting, it will clamp the verts to the UV bounds

• Fletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    Fletcher polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks! Constrain to image bounds is doing the trick! But I did some more digging and found neat addon just for aligning uv's perfectly - BlenderArtists
  • Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani polycounter lvl 3
    I have no scripting skills at all and started looking into it today, to automate some boring stuff in blender and is blowing my mind how easy is to make simple addons. 

One thing that i would want to do is to control the bevel modifier just like the bevel tool, where i could control width and segments dynamically, is this some heavy stuff or is somewhat simple?
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo interpolator
    @Udjani not a real useful answer perhaps, but if i understand you correctly, that's what some addons like HardOps do by default with the Bevel modifier operation. If you already own these, perhaps there's your answer? 

I'm only saying this in case you were'nt aware of it, though you probably already are ^^' 
  • Prime8
    Online / Send Message
    Prime8 greentooth
    @Udjani accessing modifier information is quite easy. You can test it using by selecting an object with a bevel modifier and change the width using the console.
    Example:
    bpy.context.selected_objects[0].modifiers['Bevel'].width = 0.04

Writing the code needed to change the values in the way you want it is probably more the issue.
  • Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani polycounter lvl 3
    @Justo Yep, i am aware of it, just thought that would be a good idea to invest some time learning this, so i don't need to download addons with dozens of functionalities just because i need one of them. Also a good thing for stability probably, i bought an addon some time ago and the download option disapeared from my gumroad page. xD

@Prime8 Yes, the way to change the values is the one that i was worried about, a better example would be with an array modifier. Hit a key to add the modifier then use the scroll wheel to control the ammout of duplicates. But this might be a littler more advanced, will see how deep i can go into it without learning how to code. 
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN polycounter
    Just found this kickass little site with short text tutorials, which I personally prefer over going through videos: https://twominutetuts.com
    It's great! Let's share it with the people who're getting into Blender.
    Udjani said:
    Yes, the way to change the values is the one that i was worried about, a better example would be with an array modifier. Hit a key to add the modifier then use the scroll wheel to control the ammout of duplicates. But this might be a littler more advanced, will see how deep i can go into it without learning how to code. 
    You can open the Text Editor and under Templates -> Python -> Operator Modal you get a simple template of a modal operator which is what you'd need to do something like this. 
    In the invoke() method you can do some initialization such as adding an Array modifier to the object; in the modal() method you can react to input events such as changing a modifier parameter based on mouse delta movements. 
    With this you can test the core of your scripted operator, but it won't be something you can share with others until you add a bl_info block in your script, as that is needed to make it installable and appear in the Add-ons tab of user preferences.

Well, you could share it without the bl_info, but then everyone would have to paste it into their Text Editor views and press the Run Script button in the editor header to 'register' the operator for their Blender session -- the next time they open Blender they'll have to do it again.
    If it's for something quick (a one-off script to fix something in the scene) then it could be delivered this way anyway...
  • LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message
    LuisCherubini greentooth
    Also, I don't know if you guys have been dealing with this same problem, but I'm having a extremely difficult time baking proper colors from Blender's materials. (The colors are always darker than the ones on Blender viewport when baked down in ID settings > colors from materials in Substance Painter.) Both on .obj and . Fbx

And its probably related to this:
    https://developer.blender.org/T53209
    Looks like the dev didn't bother making the diffuse material export perfect...
    Which is a shame, using material colors as a base paint layer is a huge time saver instead of totally re-working on your object assigned colors within painter.

Would love to have some light shining on that issue
  • Prime8
    Online / Send Message
    Prime8 greentooth
    Finished my latest personal piece, inspired by "Project Lancer" from Bruno Gauthier.

Check out Bruno's concepts in here. Very fun to train hard surface designs, totally recommend giving one of those Mechs a shot.
    Full Cycles Renders on Artstation

I love Bruno's concepts as well, especially what he did on Deus Ex.
    Your model looks great, though only some parts have roughness variance from weathering, is that on purpose? 
  • jeperez
    Some of my models are based on Eldar safin's work, like this https://www.artstation.com/artwork/DxZm6E

Ivan  tantsiura: 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6am3ZN

some of my own inspiration:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lVJJea

some from warhammer tau empire:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lVgrzY

• Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani polycounter lvl 3
    Blender file using 8gb of ram, i have a scene with 100+ objects, they all have mirror and subdiv modifiers, but only 5m tri on viewport. I made a quick test on a new file with 50m tri and blender only uses 7gb. So what is going on?
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN polycounter
    @jeperez those are some nice mechs! Keep going, trying things out of your comfort zone (it's the best way to grow). Good luck.
  • jeperez
    RN said:
    @jeperez those are some nice mechs! Keep going, trying things out of your comfort zone (it's the best way to grow). Good luck.
    Thank you!
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 8
    Hi, guys, I wanted to ask if this is possible in the shader editor in Blender:

• Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani polycounter lvl 3
    @melviso I just copy it 1 to 1 and is working. Though i am getting a little bit of bleeding but you can avoid that by scaling the uvs. 

• melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    @Udjani Thank you so much, mate.
  • LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message
    LuisCherubini greentooth
    Prime8 said:
    Finished my latest personal piece, inspired by "Project Lancer" from Bruno Gauthier.

Check out Bruno's concepts in here. Very fun to train hard surface designs, totally recommend giving one of those Mechs a shot.
    Full Cycles Renders on Artstation

I love Bruno's concepts as well, especially what he did on Deus Ex.
    Your model looks great, though only some parts have roughness variance from weathering, is that on purpose? 
    Yes :)
    Looking forward to improve on my upcoming works regarding time balance to narrow a proper materials workflow. As said, Blender <> Substance Painter isnt the best combination for me at the moment.
  • Prime8
    Online / Send Message
    Prime8 greentooth
    Udjani said:
    @melviso I just copy it 1 to 1 and is working. Though i am getting a little bit of bleeding but you can avoid that by scaling the uvs. 

@melviso
    Alternatively you can try a setup using the "color burn" node, has a similar effect. Example with procedural textures.

• jeperez
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message