Home Technical Talk

Blender Mega Thread

Replies

• Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Anyone here that has worked extensively with exporting cameras from Blender to other apps? I'm particularly interested in Keyshot and UE4. I was curious if it was possible to arrange a scene in Blender (meshes posed and a camera shot created) and be able to export it somewhere else to be able to render the exact same picture in another engine. This shot in particular is in the portrait format and is very reliant on distorting and exaggerating perspective, so the smallest of differences in its placement would be very evident.

Yesterday I tried exporting FBXs and other formats that supported cameras to Keyshot, but I couldn't get Keyshot to render the exact same picture I had framed in Blender. I haven't tried with UE4 yet, though I suspect the result will be similar. Has anyone dealt with similar needs before, and what did you do about it?
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    f1r3w4rr10r polycounter lvl 9

So far it works great. It also supports exporting cameras, I just have not used that yet.
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Some software consider the camera FOV value differently, horizontal or vertical. Toolbag for example uses vertical FOV and Blender uses horizontal by default (you can change it, it's the Sensor Fit setting in the camera properties).

If you can get the camera position and rotation imported into the other software (doesn't need to be a camera node, it can be any node that you can align the engine camera to), then all it takes is to adjust the FOV to be the same in both alignment and value.
  • Fletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    Fletcher polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, I need help with UV Editor, is it possible to move this shell so upper left vert would be exactly at upper left corner of uv space (0,1)? And if it is possible to scale/rotate around any chosen point other than default pivot options(like corner of uv space for example)? I thought 2d cursor would help me but it is not snapping to anything. And last question, is there any grid for uv editor? This may be basic but I just switched from Maya to blender and as far as I am super happy with Blender modeling, shading, rendering etc. But UV's are lacking so much so far. But maybe you will help me and I will love uv editing as well :)
  • m00k
    Offline / Send Message
    m00k polycounter lvl 3
    @Fletcher I've heard that complaint before, you should check out textools addon.
    You can set specific coordinates of the 2D cursor in the N panel. Also if you use the command search function you get the snap cursor command which you can use to snap cursor to selected vertex.

Its a bit of a workaround but you can check the coordinate of the vertex which you want on the corner, say the vert has coord 0.6 and 0.2 and you want to move it so that vertex has 0 and 0 and the rest moves along. You just select all verts and subtract the first coordinate from the median coordinate and same for the second.

Also you can try using this setting, it will clamp the verts to the UV bounds

• Fletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Constrain to image bounds is doing the trick! But I did some more digging and found neat addon just for aligning uv's perfectly - BlenderArtists
  • Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    I have no scripting skills at all and started looking into it today, to automate some boring stuff in blender and is blowing my mind how easy is to make simple addons. 

One thing that i would want to do is to control the bevel modifier just like the bevel tool, where i could control width and segments dynamically, is this some heavy stuff or is somewhat simple?
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @Udjani not a real useful answer perhaps, but if i understand you correctly, that's what some addons like HardOps do by default with the Bevel modifier operation. If you already own these, perhaps there's your answer? 

I'm only saying this in case you were'nt aware of it, though you probably already are ^^' 
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    @Udjani accessing modifier information is quite easy. You can test it using by selecting an object with a bevel modifier and change the width using the console.
    Example:
    bpy.context.selected_objects[0].modifiers['Bevel'].width = 0.04

Writing the code needed to change the values in the way you want it is probably more the issue.
  • Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    @Justo Yep, i am aware of it, just thought that would be a good idea to invest some time learning this, so i don't need to download addons with dozens of functionalities just because i need one of them. Also a good thing for stability probably, i bought an addon some time ago and the download option disapeared from my gumroad page. xD

@Prime8 Yes, the way to change the values is the one that i was worried about, a better example would be with an array modifier. Hit a key to add the modifier then use the scroll wheel to control the ammout of duplicates. But this might be a littler more advanced, will see how deep i can go into it without learning how to code. 
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Just found this kickass little site with short text tutorials, which I personally prefer over going through videos: https://twominutetuts.com
    It's great! Let's share it with the people who're getting into Blender.
    Udjani said:
    Yes, the way to change the values is the one that i was worried about, a better example would be with an array modifier. Hit a key to add the modifier then use the scroll wheel to control the ammout of duplicates. But this might be a littler more advanced, will see how deep i can go into it without learning how to code. 
    You can open the Text Editor and under Templates -> Python -> Operator Modal you get a simple template of a modal operator which is what you'd need to do something like this. 
    In the invoke() method you can do some initialization such as adding an Array modifier to the object; in the modal() method you can react to input events such as changing a modifier parameter based on mouse delta movements. 
    With this you can test the core of your scripted operator, but it won't be something you can share with others until you add a bl_info block in your script, as that is needed to make it installable and appear in the Add-ons tab of user preferences.

Well, you could share it without the bl_info, but then everyone would have to paste it into their Text Editor views and press the Run Script button in the editor header to 'register' the operator for their Blender session -- the next time they open Blender they'll have to do it again.
    If it's for something quick (a one-off script to fix something in the scene) then it could be delivered this way anyway...
  • LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message
    LuisCherubini interpolator
    Finished my latest personal piece, inspired by "Project Lancer" from Bruno Gauthier.

model

Check out Bruno's concepts in here. Very fun to train hard surface designs, totally recommend giving one of those Mechs a shot.
    Full Cycles Renders on Artstation

• LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, I don't know if you guys have been dealing with this same problem, but I'm having a extremely difficult time baking proper colors from Blender's materials. (The colors are always darker than the ones on Blender viewport when baked down in ID settings > colors from materials in Substance Painter.) Both on .obj and . Fbx

And its probably related to this:
    https://developer.blender.org/T53209
    Looks like the dev didn't bother making the diffuse material export perfect...
    Which is a shame, using material colors as a base paint layer is a huge time saver instead of totally re-working on your object assigned colors within painter.

Would love to have some light shining on that issue
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Finished my latest personal piece, inspired by "Project Lancer" from Bruno Gauthier.

Check out Bruno's concepts in here. Very fun to train hard surface designs, totally recommend giving one of those Mechs a shot.

I love Bruno's concepts as well, especially what he did on Deus Ex.
    Your model looks great, though only some parts have roughness variance from weathering, is that on purpose? 
  • jeperez
    Some of my models are based on Eldar safin's work, like this https://www.artstation.com/artwork/DxZm6E

Ivan  tantsiura: 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6am3ZN

some of my own inspiration:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lVJJea

some from warhammer tau empire:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lVgrzY

• Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    Blender file using 8gb of ram, i have a scene with 100+ objects, they all have mirror and subdiv modifiers, but only 5m tri on viewport. I made a quick test on a new file with 50m tri and blender only uses 7gb. So what is going on?
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    @jeperez those are some nice mechs! Keep going, trying things out of your comfort zone (it's the best way to grow). Good luck.
  • jeperez
    RN said:
    @jeperez those are some nice mechs! Keep going, trying things out of your comfort zone (it's the best way to grow). Good luck.
    Thank you!
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    Hi, guys, I wanted to ask if this is possible in the shader editor in Blender:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI8jVl_mBYY
  • Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    @melviso I just copy it 1 to 1 and is working. Though i am getting a little bit of bleeding but you can avoid that by scaling the uvs. 

• melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    @Udjani Thank you so much, mate.
  • LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 said:

I love Bruno's concepts as well, especially what he did on Deus Ex.
    Your model looks great, though only some parts have roughness variance from weathering, is that on purpose? 
    Yes :)
    Looking forward to improve on my upcoming works regarding time balance to narrow a proper materials workflow. As said, Blender <> Substance Painter isnt the best combination for me at the moment.
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Udjani said:
    @melviso I just copy it 1 to 1 and is working. Though i am getting a little bit of bleeding but you can avoid that by scaling the uvs. 

@melviso
    Alternatively you can try a setup using the "color burn" node, has a similar effect. Example with procedural textures.

• jeperez
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    @jeperez Hi! I think your Gundam RX fanart is a clear improvement, using more complex shapes. But I think the lighting could be improved. Can you see it? With that high-key lighting setup it's lacking contrast or balance, it's kinda harsh.   
    You can give it a lot more mood / atmosphere with the right lighting setup, and it helps with storytelling. For example, the mech is in a hangar being lit by spotlights and sinister rim light (this also gives you ideas of camera placement, like the viewpoint is from an engineer looking up at the mech).

If you make a thread over at the 3D Art Showcase & Critique area with all your images (like a "jeperez mechs" thread or something like that), I guarantee you will get better feedback than mine.

• jeperez
    RN said:
    @jeperez Hi! I think your Gundam RX fanart is a clear improvement, using more complex shapes. But I think the lighting could be improved. Can you see it? With that high-key lighting setup it's lacking contrast or balance, it's kinda harsh.   
    You can give it a lot more mood / atmosphere with the right lighting setup, and it helps with storytelling. For example, the mech is in a hangar being lit by spotlights and sinister rim light (this also gives you ideas of camera placement, like the viewpoint is from an engineer looking up at the mech).

If you make a thread over at the 3D Art Showcase & Critique area with all your images (like a "jeperez mechs" thread or something like that), I guarantee you will get better feedback than mine.

Thank you very much RN , i'll use this feedback to improve my scene, i'm already using hdri but i'll improve my lighting and will post a update as soon as possible,i'll take your advice and will create a thread on the next time, thank you very much! i have a problem once i start to model, i get frustrated soon and try to  rush finish the scene and model as soon as possible, do you have some advice for that? i guess that is why all my models have a similar look and feel thank you in foward
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    @jeperez I sent you a message.
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    Any one here using E-cycles? How does this compare to Blender with Optrix denoiser? 
    Here is a Test using Optrix denoiser for Nvidia RTX cards in Blender 2.83:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6MCRMike8o
  • Fletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, I have a question regarding flipbook creation from simulations inside Blender. I am using 2.82 btw. So I want to create fire simulation coming from rocket engine. There are tons of tutorials about that and this part I know how to do. But in the end I want to put this simulation into flipbook or sprite sheet and use it inside Unreal Engine and Unity as particle effect. So is there any fairly automatic and easy way to do this? I am asking here because all I found is simulations inside blender but no way to convert it into game engine.
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    2.83 is out! Updating my version and addons after a long while at last, feels good.
  • Deforges
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    Loving 2.83 and going to stick with it for a long time. It's been great to watch blender develop into the amazing tool it is today. Throwback to my thread in 2016 "Do any good artists use Blender?" when I had low expectations lol.

I'd like to ask if anyone has good recommendations for evee or cycles tutorials I'd much appreciate them.
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage

Hello 

I've just started learning Blender this week and I am very impressed.  

If your about to start on the Blender journey I would recommend the following.

1. “Switching to Blender 2.8 for Advanced 3D Artists” by FlippedNormals
    2. Then the famous Donut tutorial by BlenderGuru
    3. Then go onto the LightSaber tutorial again by flippedNormals.
    4. And not to forget the amazing CG Geek

I hope they help you, I found them a great starting point. :) If any has any tips on where to go next I would love to hear them.

My advice for anyone switching 3d packages would be not to adjust the shortcuts or switch the interface to be like Maya/3DSmax or you will find none of the tutorials will make sense, try and get used to the short cuts. While I found the expeience really painful and slow to start off as its very different to Maya, 3DSmax and Houdini it’s just like learning to play an instrument and it will speed up your workflow for modelling loads in the long run once you start to master the hotkeys keys (funky middle mouse translations, Tab to enter in and out off edit mode) and so on I promise you once you start to put it all to memory muscle it really does start to become a bit of a joy to work with. 

While I’ve only been playing with Blender for a few days its starting to make sense. I’ve got a long way to go but I can see some real potential with it.

This video gives a great overview of the new features

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nKXOZvc-Gk

• littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    My work mate pointed this one out, lots of great addons like hardsurface tools
    https://blender-addons.org/

Blender 2.90 Alpha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj8nF8m7gDw
  • atxr
    Offline / Send Message
    atxr polycounter lvl 3

Hi there!

I was wondering if I could get some help/advice for my rig. As you can see I'm rigging a horse body, and it's my first time rigging a quadraped so I'm a little stuck with this IK issue.

For the front leg, I have the IK bone in the same position as the hoof bone, with a custom shape. I've bent the joints in the direction I want them to move in, but the issue comes in when I set my chain length. Because of how a horse moves, I want to be able to move the lower shoulder bone, but selecting it in the chain makes the IK line go in front of the knee joint, thus making it bend backwards. Is there a way to remedy this, either by adding the shoulder movement in a separate method or changing the position of the IK constraint?

I have the same set up for the back leg, but due to its anatomy the IK line sits on the appropriate side of each joint, thus creating no issue.

I'm new to rigging in Blender, so I don't  quite know all of the available constraints/what they do yet

• RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    @atxr do you have a GIF of the problem?
    That line is just a visualization of the range of bones in the chain. It does not indicate the direction that the bones will bend, which as you noticed is defined by the bend that they already have at bind pose. You can change this by rotating bones in Edit mode until they have a slight bend in the direction you want them to go with the IK solver.

I don't know what kind of behavior you're looking for, but to me it would be okay to leave the shoulder bone outside of the leg IK chain, so the animator can control the shoulder by itself, it's what I see in humanoid rigs at least:

Other things:
    - The IK target bone should not be parented to any of the bones in the chain. It can be parented to the root bone for example.
    - Only the location of the head (the pivot point) of the IK target bone is used. Its rotation makes no difference, so it's useful to keep it straight (aligned to one of the world axes) to make it easier to give it a custom shape.
    - In some cases the per-bone Inverse Kinematics settings can be useful. They're in the Bone Properties tab of a bone in Pose mode. You can set rotation limits, lock an axis and set stiffness:

• atxr
    Offline / Send Message
    atxr polycounter lvl 3

@RN Here's a gif of what happens with my leg. When the chain is set to 3 it works as intended, only without the shoulder movement. When I increase the chain to 4 to get the shoulder movement the knee no longer bends as desired. I included the line in my earlier image because I had thought that the placement of the joints on each side of the line affected what way they bend.

httpsuploadwikimediaorgwikipediacommonsdd5Muybridge_horse_walking_animatedgif
    I would like the shoulder to be part of the IK for realistic movement without having to adjust the shoulder separately, as you can see in the gif above the shoulder moves with the leg.

The original IK was a separate bone, just in the same position as the hoof bone - it was a technique I followed from a tutorial but keeping it straight is probably for the best.

• Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I've downloaded the latest stable version, 2.83, and nothing was done about the issues with subdivision modelling. We still have horrible perfomance, same modifiers, all worse than in 3ds Max (2.9 brings back a similar perfomance of 2.7x, but it's not enough). The multires modifier also offers a shitty perfomance (the new multires in 2.9 only works in sculpt mode, and also lacks perfomance, a lot). Sculpting can't be compared to Zbrush or Modo's one.

The app is still a low-class app in perfomance terms, It's impossible to work with it. And you wonder why Blender is still not used in too many studios?. 

Too many minor improvements in this release, but not what is really important. The issue was adressed and closed as "solved". Resignation is what i have.

2.9 alpha is there, but they improved it just a little. I'm sad.

A shitty box like that, with the new subdivision modifier in 2.9, is very slow, similar to what we had with 2.78. I'm using 2 pcs, one with a GTX 1060 and other with a GTX 1070ti. 
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Finally we can invert vertex groups on most (all?) modifiers with 2.83. I was often wondering why this wasn't implemented before.
    @Blaizer Blender definitely has some performance issues, fortunately some improved over the last releases, others didn't, but you make it sound like Blender is completely useless.
    When does the subd calculation run on the GPU when modifying the cage?
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    @Prime8 Sorry if i sounded in that way, it wasn't my intention. I was just referring to subdivision modelling. Blender may not be the best 3d app, but it has some cool features, that's for sure. For subdivision modelling is very disappointing, and i would say useless for that aspect/work.

I really don't know what happens with the GPU performance in Blender 2.90. Modo 302 can edit that simple box with 8 iterations like nothing (Blender 2.90 can't move and edit that simple cube with less iterations, 4, something worrying for me).

It was said on the Blender Dev forum they were working on the subdivision modifier (the past year), and that the were making too many optimizations in order to take advantage of actual gpus, but it's like smoke for me.  A Ryzen 3900x and a GTX 1070ti is not good enough?
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    atxr said:
    I would like the shoulder to be part of the IK for realistic movement without having to adjust the shoulder separately, as you can see in the gif above the shoulder moves with the leg.
    @atxr Thanks for the GIF. I can see now that what you want is contradictory: you want the shoulder to be included in the IK chain and for it to move, but you also want the knee to bend.

The IK algorithm solves the problem of "how to best rotate the bones in the chain so that the leaf bone (the last one) can follow the IK target". It tries to do that with the least effort possible, so it must've found that rotating the shoulder joint does most of the work and that the knee joint doesn't need to do as much. I don't think it's possible to change this.

I've never seen a humanoid / bipedal rig where the shoulder was inside the arm's IK chain. The shoulders were always separate from that, and controlled by FK (direct control by the animator). Then when you're animating you do it in two steps: posing the FK shoulder and then posing the IK/FK arm. A horse is a ungulate (image taken from this page), the joints are still the same as in a human leg. So if I had to rig that horse I would do it like a human.
    The original IK was a separate bone, just in the same position as the hoof bone - it was a technique I followed from a tutorial but keeping it straight is probably for the best.
    You can do both, keeping the position the same as the last bone, but then use any rotation at all --since it doesn't matter for the IK target-- like keeping it straight to make it easier to model a custom shape for it.
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    f1r3w4rr10r polycounter lvl 9
    @Blaizer If I try to edit the same mesh you showed in your screenshot with the same modifier on 2.83 (I did not try 2.90 yet), I do get FPS drops as well. But as soon as I turn down the view port iterations to 3, I hit 60 FPS no problem and there is no visual difference apart from maybe a few pixels in the contours. I am not saying this couldn't be better, but do you really NEED that many iterations for seeing what you are editing?
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    @Blaizer I didn't follow the subdiv development closely, I have to admit, if I remember correctly they switched to opensubdiv in 2.8. I cannot find any settings in 2.83. In 2.79 the old modifier was faster when editing, I can understand your frustration if that is part of your workflow.
  • wilson66
    Offline / Send Message
    wilson66 polycounter lvl 8
    Quick question. Lets say I have a single object in a certain location, and created a circular array with it (using an empty object for object offset). After that array in the modifier stack, I have created a lattice modifier, and distorted the array using a lattice. 

When I now want to edit the original single object and switch to edit mode, the array snaps back into a position in 3d space using the position of that original mesh (lattice deformation is ignored). Only when I switch back to object mode, the array takes the lattice deformation into consideration. Adjusting this requires a certain amount of 'blind flight' as you can not see the actual final result.

Is there some way to preview that lattice deformation? Meaning, can I somehow display the object/ array with lattice deformation applied (e.g. an additional, ghosted view of the geometry) when I switch to Edit mode?
  • birb
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    @Blaizer I'm a little confused. I just tested this on my build—also GTX 1060, but paired with a i5 6600. It should perform worse than yours.

Here's what I see on 2.83. You said this version was particularly bad at this but it's not an alpha, so should be preferred for tests.

While I got a slight performance drop imo it's not unusable to the point of name-calling—this I reserve for when working with particle systems! :# It should also be noted I'm already using roughly 40% of my pc resources for another tasks.

I suspect something's up with your preferences. Double check everything is correct: Using all cores or auto, GPU selected... Also check if your drivers are up to date and try a .zip install without porting preferences or add-ons instead of updating a past version to avoid carrying any usage-induced glitch over. If the performance issue goes away you can try to port preferences, then enable add-ons one by one, because it's likely one of them causing the issue.

And in case you don't already do this, follow @Prime8 advice. Most people do subsurf modelling on Blender, and they use the modifier instead of subdividing the model to take advantage of the configurable viewport levels and quality in beta versions.
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    @wilson66 You just need to active the "Edit Mode" and "On Cage" options for each modifier.
  • So3Datel
    Offline / Send Message
    So3Datel polycounter lvl 5
    There is still no way to make a shift-extrude, like in 3D max, without programming?
    I really miss this one.
  • wilson66
    Offline / Send Message
    wilson66 polycounter lvl 8
    Prime8 said:
    @wilson66 You just need to active the "Edit Mode" and "On Cage" options for each modifier.
    Ok, that worked. Thanks!
  • Nominous
    Offline / Send Message
    Nominous polycounter lvl 10
    So3Datel said:
    There is still no way to make a shift-extrude, like in 3D max, without programming?
    I really miss this one.
    Yeah, there doesn't seem to be a design task for it on the Blender maniphest. You could upvote this suggestion on the right-click select site if you haven't already. I don't miss that functionality though since I don't use gizmos in Blender. :S Using a shortcut for extrude faces along normals is very fast and offers fine control over the ctrl+RMB extrude.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    @birb : this issue is that these topics are highly subjective relative, and also not quite debug-able like a regular bug would.

For instance your GIF seems to show that there is no issue. But is it actually the case in a practical scenario ? The fact of the matter is ... what could be perceived as harsh "name calling" on @Blaizer 's part is actually completely justified, as the performance on something as simple as a simple bust with lvl 2 subdiv on it is indeed unacceptable. I'd go as far as saying that it is actually noticeable even on your GIF, as things are lagging behind the cursor and you are stating yourself that you are getting some performance drop. On a simple subdivided cube !

Here's something that shows the issue clearly : viewport navigation is butter smooth, yet merely moving verts/quads slows things down to a crawl making it litterally unworkable for anyone used to working lighting fast. All that on a very simple bust model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0iz2JWOPkU

Of course there is always going to be people claiming that "it's just fine" - but that's usually people who don't have much expertise on the topic, or, people with high level of tolerance for slow workflows (like some Zbrush artists or Substance users who are totally fine with extremely poor viewport response because that's probably all they know so they're used to it). But to anyone who not only enjoys smooth response time but also actually *relies* on it to get work done it is extremely frustrating.

(Now that said I am admittedly running a somewhat unconventional setup : recent video card, but 10y old motherboard fitted with the most powerful CPU available for it. But that's somewhat the point - other applications do not show that sort of issues to begin with, so just throwing more hardware at the problem is not the right way to go. Something somewhere is just poorly optimized/not accelerated, especially in contrast with the progress made on the sculpting side of things.)

The problem is that merely voicing such frustrations doesn't help one bit, so that's why I would personally highly encourage people like Blaizer to not just repeatedly mention the bad performance, but also document it *comparatively* by recording the same operation in Blender and then in other apps with better performance (Modo, Silo, Max, and so on). Otherwise there is no point of comparison and it just goes in circles.

- - - - -

The bottom line is that whoever is in charge of this aspect of the program probably doesn't have the perspective/experience of a real user - as opposed to how the sculpt mode is being developed by an actual user of it. Unless that changes I wouldn't expect any performance improvement on that side of things any time soon, sadly.