Home Technical Talk

UV Non-destructive workflow help

MAR-3D
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
MAR-3D polycounter lvl 4
Hey there, I keep running into the same issue in my projects and I am surely doing something wrong so any advice would be appreciated.
This is using 3DS Max and creating game-ready assets.

I have created the low and high poly versions of a vehicle. These vehicles have lots and lots of components that I have separated into groups and accurately named, ready for baking in substance painter using the "bake by mesh name" function.

When I unwrap each part of the vehicle on the low poly, I select all of the assets I would like on one texture sheet and apply a UV unwrap to it. This is an instanced modifier and as such shows in an italic font. This allows me to unwrap those sections together, without the need to attach the pieces together.

My issue is that I need to use the Rescale clusters function as the scale is incorrect across the assets (small badges show huge and massive body panels are tiny), however, as the UV modifier is an instance it cannot do this (as it does not know how the pieces are scaled in relation to each other). I have tried using Textools with it's normalise UV function, but this is the same and does not work. I also cannot scale them manually, there are simply too many pieces.

The only way I can find to work around this is to attach all of the pieces together, rescale the UV clusters, and then have to go through separating all the pieces out again and re-naming every single asset. This is obviously very destructive and clearly not the correct way to do it, but I can't find another way to do this?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated, and I hope I have been clear enough for people to understand my issue.

Many thanks!
MAR-3D 

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    I run into this often and have aquick workaround - if you go into tools, pack, rescale clusters checked, and hit pack, it'll actually scale them uniformally across eachother. :smile:

• MAR-3D
    Offline / Send Message
    MAR-3D polycounter lvl 4
    Kanni3d said:
    I run into this often and have aquick workaround - if you go into tools, pack, rescale clusters checked, and hit pack, it'll actually scale them uniformally across eachother. :smile:

Amazing, thank you very much. This solved my issue perfectly and will make my life a lot easier going forward.
    Strange that it works through packing but not rescale clusters.
  • Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    @MAR-3D Probably just bugged, makes no sense otherwise how it works with one tool but not another. :smile:
  • Mark Dygert
    That has been a bug since they first implemented instanced Unwrap UVW, 6-7 years ago. It's really dumb that they haven't figured out a way for it to work when obviously there is a way it works sitting right there in the pack options.

I submitted a bug to their feedback, with any luck it will be a quick fix and will make it in the next version or the version after that. But this is autodesk, they do seem to have a hording problem when it comes to long running bugs, ha.
  • MAR-3D
    Offline / Send Message
    MAR-3D polycounter lvl 4
    That has been a bug since they first implemented instanced Unwrap UVW, 6-7 years ago. It's really dumb that they haven't figured out a way for it to work when obviously there is a way it works sitting right there in the pack options.

I submitted a bug to their feedback, with any luck it will be a quick fix and will make it in the next version or the version after that. But this is autodesk, they do seem to have a hording problem when it comes to long running bugs, ha.
    We can only hope. Either way, it wouldn't work out for me as I'm running an older version of 3ds max as it's what the company uses, so even with the fix I wouldn't be able to use it for quite some time xD Thanks for submitting the bug though, hopefully it will get fixed for others!