Home Technical Talk

UDIM vs UV sets ?

SebKaine
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
SebKaine polycounter lvl 5
Hi guys,
Sorry this is a stupid one ...

What is the advantage of UDIM's over UV sets ? 

For exemple :
- i have a props
- i need four 4K maps to texture it
- what is the advantage / difference of using UDIM's over 4 UV sets ?
- UV sets are recognized in every renderer like webGL / unreal , UDIM are nots
So if everybody in VFX use them , there might be a reason, but i don' t get exactly why ?

Thanks for your lights
Cheers
E

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    UDIM's are meant to make it easier to work with very large numbers of textures (like say if you have 100+ on a single object).
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Things with udim support can usually auto-import and connect all the textures, if you use a proper naming convention.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Plus 3D painter like Mari or Mudbox does paint across UDIMs.
    Substance Painter does have a UDIM version in beta.

Unreal does support UDIMs.
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Rendering/VirtualTexturing/Streaming/index.html#udimsupport
  • SebKaine
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for your answers guys ! UDIM is basically uv sets on steroid. From what you describe it looks more useful for VFX / Cinematic jobs where you need ( and can ) use 20 16K Maps on a Hero Char or Hero Props. 

The auto connect features looks really interesting that might be a good argument to use them.

I know many here works in AAA games company. i was wondering if UDIM is also a new standard, for real time games. Or is it more someting that is useful for precalc renderer in VFX / Cinematic show. UE4 looks to suppport them but does game company rely on this feature or is it something they have added to fulfill the desire of EPIC to brings UE in new cinematic territory, like abc / usd / RTX raytracing ?

Does company like Valve / Dice / Naugthy Dog / Blizzard rely on UDIM for their games ? or is it something we only use in precalc cinematic. 

Finally Does it UDIM has an influence on performance, does the memory footprint in VRAM will be equal to uv sets, or does it cost more ?

Thanks again for your lights !
    Cheers

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Im sure they use it on really big assets. Like a Dragon.
    Its just easier to paint the Texture.

And its no problem to use multiple materials or uv sets in the engine.
    Its just impossible to paint across textures if you have materials assigned per face.

Using UDIMs in your texture painter does not mean you have to use it in the engine.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Here an 10 years old video showing what im talking about.
    At the end i paint across all three textures. You cant do that if you have three materials assigned.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro_Ruhu-SGs
  • SebKaine
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your answer Oglu, i have also find 2 interesting topic about UDIM 
    https://polycount.com/discussion/213611/question-regarding-udims
    https://polycount.com/discussion/183032/udims

Basically to sum up : 

UDIM is justify when you need to have gigantic resolution on a character or props, and when you have to texture paint it for unique detail. 
    - you can' t tile as each area need to be unique
    - you can' t work efficently with 32K map 

UDIM is the answer to this it allow you to paint on a character but instead of storing the painting into one texture, you store into multiple texture of lower resolution (2K,4K). To make this work you have to use Mari, Mudbox,  or the Beta of painter. 

=> UDIM is primary a tool used for high end VFX, 

UDIM is not a common practice in video game. The feature has been recently supported by certain game engine, but it' s not de standard workflow. The extra cost and the price of such numerous texture in memory is not justify. In video game 

=> UDIM is generally not use for video game rendering 

UDIM can be use in game  to texture an assets to benefit from the paint across texture feature , the udim can be then reset to 0-1 uv space.

i think i got the point.
    Thanks again for your help

• gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I wonder did somebody do performance test with UDIM vs regular in U4?    Surelly UDIMs are a bit of  extra calculations in realtime
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    I wont say that, an extra shader does alos add time.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
     UDIM is just a standard for labelling texture sets so they can be automatically assigned to things in the right order. 

If that in itself makes your Shader slower you've dun fucked up

• sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    poopipe said:
     UDIM is just a standard for labelling texture sets so they can be automatically assigned to things in the right order. 

If that makes your Shader slower you've dun fucked up
    They mean virtual texturing. 

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Rendering/VirtualTexturing/index.html

which can have extra overhead depending on the situation

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

OK.

Well yeah,  per pixel I imagine the virtual texture stuff will be significantly more expensive than a standard material but they're in no way comparable cos it would  be literally impossible to achieve the same result using standard materials in a performant fashion.
    That has sod all to do with UDIMs though - they'll be indexing into a texture array whether there's UDIMs or not. 

• Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
    Carlosan polycounter lvl 10
    sidenote:
    3DCoat does paint across UDIMs too