Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first finished work in 3d. Critique is welcome.

Hello fellow polycounters, this is my first post here and also my first finished project in 3d ever.
I`ve been poking Fusion 360 for quite some time now, mainly as a tool to design knives that later would be produced IRL. But i`ve always wanted to become 3d artist and make something cool. I started watching some tutorials Keyshot, as it is compatible with CAD software such as Fusion.
So, here is what I eneded up with. I did some stuff in Fusion in the past, but either didn`t finish it or just didn`t like the end result. But this time I think I may even not hate it too much :lol:
Knife was modeled from scratch in Fusion 360, then rendered in Keyshot with some post effects in Photoshop.
But I want to hear what do you guys think.Is it any good ? What can be done better ? Should I post this on my Artstation page just to have something I can show people and be proud of, or is recent quality not quite there yet ?
So, here goes nothing :lol:

Replies

• Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    I would say, that the floor isn't doing your work any favor, since it's colorwise so siimiliar to knife itself, it's hard to figure out what iam actually looking it. The details of the floor aliasing on a distance ain't helping either. why not go with a good ol white background and smooth lightning.
    Also what's that post effect? Smears? It makes it super dirty and actually adds weird white artifacts. A clean render would be preferable over this, atleast in my book.
  • TechNoir__01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say, that the floor isn't doing your work any favor, since it's colorwise so siimiliar to knife itself, it's hard to figure out what iam actually looking it. The details of the floor aliasing on a distance ain't helping either. why not go with a good ol white background and smooth lightning.
    Also what's that post effect? Smears? It makes it super dirty and actually adds weird white artifacts. A clean render would be preferable over this, atleast in my book.
    I totally agree with you on the floor and that it makes the handle material less readable and just makes it one big mess. I see it now, so thank you. As to post effects - actually smears are integrated as a part of material in Keyshot and the only thing I added via photoshop were some dust particles in the air and some stuff to make blood on the blade have more volume so it doesn't look flat where bump map can`t handle it.
    And some color grading, yeah.
    As to dirty looks - I actually wanted to make it dirty and gritty looking because I want to convey a feeling that this is not just some fancy looking blade but a tool, dedicated for usage in combat situations, hence all the blood and dirt on it. But maybe I got too carried away and should moderate it.
    And while I was writing this it got me thinking - What if I add one or two pistol or rifle rounds on the floor and maybe a sheath under the blade to make a scale of the knife more readable and the whole scene more grounded ?
    And thank you for your critique :smile:

• TechNoir__01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a little update. Tell me if it`s any better. Bloodied version has Photoshop post effects, clean version is how it comes from Keyshot
    Its not final by any means, but I think it`s a change in the right direction.