Home Technical Talk

Looking for advice on making stylized creatures

Hello, I am looking for some advice on creating stylized creatures.
I have tried to model creatures before, but always have had a hard time getting them to look good. I want to try a simpler style, like in Viva Pinata. However, I am still having some trouble.
So I had 2 questions :
1. What are some techniques, or things to look at to help get the proportions right when modeling?
2. What techniques and process would you guys recommend to model something like this? Sculpting, or modeling? How would you do the legs? And if modeling, how to get it rounded in a nice way.

If you want to point me to some resources to look at or read, that is also great!

PS: I am just talking about the mesh and not the 'fur' or pattern.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Start with primitive shapes and smooth. Trying to sculpt will just make it lumpy.

This is almost nothing but cylinders.

Use minimal geo to edit, use smooth mesh preview to preview final result.

Proportions just do what looks cute. With minimal geo it's very fast to make big changes for experimentation.
  • MechWarrior99
    Start with primitive shapes and smooth. Trying to sculpt will just make it lumpy.

This is almost nothing but cylinders.

Use minimal geo to edit, use smooth mesh preview to preview final result.

Proportions just do what looks cute. With minimal geo it's very fast to make big changes for experimentation.
    Yeah, I was figuring that sculpting would be the wrong way to go.  

I was messing around with cylinders, and the thing that has been giving me trouble is getting the squarish-roundish look of the body/neck/head. That and connecting the legs to the body.
  • MechWarrior99
    I got a basic shape using cubes that I think is pretty good, but not sure how to go about round it.
  • Alex_J
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    subdivision surface modeling is the term to google. you can get started from the wiki on this site.