Home Technical Talk

Blender Mega Thread

Replies

• kio
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    if your mesh allows for it you can mirror the selection with Select>Mirror Selection - or ctrl-shift-M in default blender. Just make sure to set the operator to extend selection.
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    If your mesh is symmetrical then you can delete half of it, add a Mirror modifier, then use that hide -> sculpt workflow on the original half.
    This is sort of an out-of-scope method though, because sculpting is supposed to be used on whole solid meshes. The Smooth brush doesn't work well on the middle loop of this Mirror-modified mesh for example, but other brushes work fine as far as I noticed, and you only need to hide elements on the one side.
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    f1r3w4rr10r polycounter lvl 9
    The mirror modifier also has the advantage for mesh editing, that you can show it in edit mode and select on either side. This would actually mirror your selection in some sense.
  • sinhead
    Offline / Send Message
    sinhead polycounter lvl 6
    Friendship with Blender grows. I am fairly comfortable by now, most of my doubts are cleared. Thank you guys for  helping out!
    I started with experimenting with rendering to  get comfortable with the UI etc. Today onwards I'll shift focus to Modelling.

some trials after following tutorials - experimenting with lights, Light Planes with gradients, custom hdris,  basic compositing etc.

• Zablorg
    Offline / Send Message
    Zablorg polycounter lvl 6
    I'm having an issue, and I think it might have been a bad hotkey press or something (it persists if I exit and reopen the file). In this particular layout, my objects will render in Edit mode but won't actually show me any vertices, edges, or faces to select or otherwise interact with.

Selecting other layouts (UV Editing, Scripting, etc) behave as normal

Anyone have any idea what's causing this?

EDIT: I was able to fix it by removing the viewport window and making a new one.
  • nicocabbalero
    Offline / Send Message
    nicocabbalero polycounter lvl 15
    it looks like you had show overlays disabled 
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter

You have accidentally disabled all of the "Overlay" settings from here:

• wazou
    Offline / Send Message
    wazou polycounter lvl 5
    Speedflow Basics  - 12 - Workflow is online and available on Gumroad/Market with the scene ;)

• LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message
    LuisCherubini interpolator

Hey everyone, there's this cool addon that allows to create random shapes. I find it very usefull for concepting! Let me know what you think. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAXBBlDkgtE
  • Zablorg
    Offline / Send Message
    Zablorg polycounter lvl 6
    Any obvious reasons why my mouse movements would suddenly start being interpreted in reverse (up is down, left is right) during transform/scale/rotate operations?

EDIT:  This occurs in Edit mode, but not in Object mode, where things translate as I expect them to.

Figured it out- has to do with the vertices being influenced by shape keys.
  • Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    It's possible to have to have a ''separated'' way to control pan and zoom in sculpting mode with a wacom tablet without breaking the ones that i use for polymodeling?

I have Rotate in (Alt + Left Mouse), Pan (Shift + Right Mouse) and Zoom in (Scroll), using pan and scroll with the pen buttons is way too painful, and if i change to something like (ctrl+alt+right) it breaks other things.  
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zablorg Just for future reference: I also found that having the 3D-Cursor a few units off screen from what you are trying to move can also make movement behave in unexpected ways, if you have the 3D-Cursor set as pivot.

It is more or less expected behaviour, but it threw me off multiple times in the last few days. I rarely work on scenes that large.
  • Udjani
  • sinhead
    Offline / Send Message
    sinhead polycounter lvl 6
    How to mirror this object to the other side. The mesh is not at the origin. Pivot point is set to 3d Cursor.

• f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    @sinhead add an empty at the 3d cursor and set that as the mirror object in the modifier.
  • LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message
    If anyone here happens to be in Amsterdam this month for the Blender Conference, I'll be offering a talk about Striving Design & Creative Workflows. It'd be awesome to chat with fellow Polycounters there!
    I'll be around all 3 days and you can see the entire schedule here. (Mine happens on Friday 25th  / 12:00)  :)

Also, finished some personal work in EEVEE:

<3 
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Does anyone know of a equivalent to max's Transmographier: http://rpmanager.com/plugins/Transmographier.htm
    I want to be able to mirror the vertex positions on a symmetrical mesh with unsymetrical uvs  - and / or - without changing the existing vertex indices - and / or - loosing any other already existing unsymmetrical vertex data
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    @rollin Just have a look at the options of the mirror modifier. You can disable it from copying over vertex groups. And for UVs, you can specify an offset.
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    @rollin Just have a look at the options of the mirror modifier. You can disable it from copying over vertex groups. And for UVs, you can specify an offset.
    Thx, but no no.. not what I'm looking for
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    And one more: can someone explain to me why you have to apply the mirror modifier above the armature modifier to work properly (mirror first then animate) but the data transfer modifier needs to be below the armature modifier to work (transfer first then animate)
    This makes no sense to me :confounded:

• RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Wow, that is awesome @LuisCherubini !  
    I hope you had a great talk.

How did you get involved with that event?  
    Also, if there's a recording or something like that, let us know.
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    @RN The recordings of all talks at the Blender Con are available on the Bl nder YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/BlenderFoundation

• m00k
    Offline / Send Message
    m00k polycounter lvl 3
    @rollin Have you thought about using shapekeys? You can create a shapekey from your vertex positions and then mirror it and apply it.
    Or am I not understanding your end goal here?

• RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    @RN The recordings of all talks at the Blender Con are available on the Blender YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/BlenderFoundation
    @f1r3w4rr10r Thanks. I can see that there's still time before they start, it's on October 24th onwards. Some interesting talks in the schedule as well as Luis'.
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    So happy to see everyone adopting Blender. I keep seeing more threads in this Tech Talk section too popping up...And the support from big companies is very exciting.

-Does anyone know what are the points to keep in minds when importing OBJ meshes from other 3D packages to Blender? I've noticed imported OBJs come with some 'custom split normals data' that can be deleted in the Context>Geometry Data tab. The only reason to do this AFAIK is to clean the mesh so that you can use the Auto Smooth Normals slider again, since otherwise this will be grayed out. Is there a way to import meshes without Custom Split Normals Data, so that we can remove this extra cleanup step? Are there any other important points to know about importing meshes?
  • m00k
    Offline / Send Message
    m00k polycounter lvl 3
    @justo I didn't even know that! been scratching my head why that tab was greyed out when working with some objects haha thanks bro!
  • LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message
    RN said:
    How did you get involved with that event?  
    Also, if there's a recording or something like that, let us know.

There's a call for participation over the conference website every year. :)
    It's a good opportunity to get a direct talk with the devs, so if you guys have any pertinent questions as well I can bring that up for them! I'm preparing some game-dev related Q&As, since IMO its one of the areas Blender could improve at mid-term for the next 2-3 years at relatively little production time expense. 
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    m00k said:
    @rollin Have you thought about using shapekeys? You can create a shapekey from your vertex positions and then mirror it and apply it.
    Or am I not understanding your end goal here?

@m00k
    Well.. not exactly what I was looking for but not uninteresting either.. For the moment this should do the trick. thx!
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Is there a way to copy preferences from one PC's Blender to the other, while still retaining the File Browser Directories? 

Normally I just copy the Config, Datafiles & Config folders in AppData, but (not surprisingly) replacing everything also replaces the directories, something which I'd like to keep. Someone know where these are stored so as to not delete that file when transferring Preferences?

EDIT: Found it, I think. It's the "bookmarks.txt" inside the config folder :)
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    Would anyone have a modifier addon for UV Transforms and Geo transforms (Basic ones move rotate scale etc..) ?
    Also looking for a modifier to do some non uniform subdivision.

Cant wait for Houdini Engine to be made for Blender :)
  • Mad_Llama
    Offline / Send Message
    Mad_Llama polycounter lvl 6
    @another caveman  Blender's modifiers are built into Blender deeply, you cannot create a modifier addon without having to create a separate blender branch. Here's a link to a website containing various Blender's branches https://blender.community/c/graphicall/ ) 

Luckily blender already has what you're looking for. That's the UV warp modifier
    Manual:
     https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/modeling/modifiers/modify/uv_warp.html
    Set "from" to any object (I'd suggest an empty), set "To" to the mesh which UVs you want to transform. All the transforms work nicely :)

What's non uniform subdivision though?
  • Linko
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    The remesh tool (Blender 2.81, Object Data Properties tab) works very well to generate a curvature map, especially for hard surface models and it union everything so you get a curvature from intersecting meshes.

To color it remove the gamma node, and use a multiply with a factor of 1 and set the color.

• f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    @another caveman with non-uniform subdivision do you mean that the new edges are not evenly distributed across the subdivided faces or that you want to apply different levels of subdivision on different faces?
  • wazou
    Offline / Send Message
    wazou polycounter lvl 5
    New tutorial, Speedflow Basics - 13 - Mini Tank Part 1

https://youtu.be/sZBWTspWsaQ

Test of Procedural shader.

• another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    @another caveman with non-uniform subdivision do you mean that the new edges are not evenly distributed across the subdivided faces or that you want to apply different levels of subdivision on different faces?

Not evenly distributed :) Like inputting a grayscale mask and/or vertex painting, and the whiter..the more verts it gets.
    Like Sculptris thing, mask-based/ (Dyntopo in Blender?).

Mad_Llama said:
    @another caveman  Blender's modifiers are built into Blender deeply, you cannot create a modifier addon without having to create a separate blender branch. Here's a link to a website containing various Blender's branches https://blender.community/c/graphicall/ ) 

Luckily blender already has what you're looking for. That's the UV warp modifier
    Manual:
     https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/modeling/modifiers/modify/uv_warp.html
    Set "from" to any object (I'd suggest an empty), set "To" to the mesh which UVs you want to transform. All the transforms work nicely :)

What's non uniform subdivision though?
    Thanks for the link! Will check that out. Sad to learn this about modifiers :( ! I guess things just work differently and theyre not indispensable in everyday workflow in Blender?
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    hey guys. Has anyone ever had trouble with Blender when changing keyboard key registries? Using Sharpkeys for example, I've changed the place of my Shift key, but for some reason even though all apps read this correctly, Blender does not.

It's strange - inside text fields or the scripting text editor it works just fine, but when in the viewport, if I press Shift+A for example, Blender will simply read A and ignore the Shift...Any ideas?

• f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    @Justo I bet that is because one reacts to the actual letter received by the OS and the other reacts to the key code. You actually have to do it like this in order to be able to react to modifier keys like Shift and Control on their own. But I am basing this mostly on knowledge how those things are handled in Linux systems. (Mostly X display server and VTE based terminals) Could be that Windows handles it completely different.

The most likely thing is though, that it's not something easily fixed by the end user.
  • wazou
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hello all -

What would be the python command to assign a given material (nameofthematerial, already present in the scene so no need to create it) to the currently selected object - or even better, to all currently selected objects ? Preferably as directly compatible with PME.

(I've been using various material helper scripts in 2.78 and 2.8 for easy assignement of materials directly from the viewport, but find myself always needing my basic gray - so might as well making a PME command for it).

Thanks !

• f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    @pior is there nothing showing up in the info screen when you do what you want? Normally it should show the python call.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Heya - I should probably mention that I tried that yeah ... I usually find my way just fine by doing that and by adding the last performed action to PME and editing the code from there, but it seems like material assignement is a bit more complex than that (probably because of things like material indexes, and so on).
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    @pior I suspect that this would probably take more than just one call. First you would have to get the material by name I guess. Also what is PME?
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    @pior Hey you can select every object one by one and choose the material in the object's material dropdown :trollface:

Sorry hat to give the old blenderfanboy answer ;)

Ok, if you want to script this (and it's no one-liner) you would have to do something similar to that (not tested) but this would work best in some kind of pior's-personal-tools-panel where you put it on a button and maybe an option to "remember" a certain material:

import bpy
    objs = bpy.context.selected_objects

# Your material
    mat = bpy.data.materials.get("My Material")

# assign
    if None != mat:
    	for obj in objs:	
    		if obj.data.materials:		
    			obj.data.materials[0] = mat
    		else:			
    			obj.data.materials.append(mat)
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Hey @rollin ! Well, I can certainly confirm that this code here totally works. Excellent, thanks !

Now I just need to dig a bit deeper into what it takes for PME to call full on python scripts, as I find that manually creating UI panels is just too cumbersome. Totally doable mind you, but just not fluidly enough imho - as everytime I find myself doing so to neatly store useful little presets and shortcuts I always end up reverting to PME, for its ease of use and speed. Looks like it does need to be an external .py for it to call it though, so I suppose it has to be formatted like any other addon. But hey at the very least it will save me the hassle of creating a panel :)
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    What's the best way to share the same configs, addons, UI, preferences.. between two PCs?
    If I'm right many of this is stored within the .blender file, how about the rest?
    Thanks!

• pior
    Online / Send Message
    @another caveman : blender files will store up what is shown in various UI panels, as well as things like the currently active viewport mode, embedded textures, and so on. Everything else (keymap, user preferences, addons...) is all stored in : 

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.8

This single folder is all you need to carry from one computer to another. Along with the fact that Blender doesn't require any installation, one can literally be up and running in seconds.

• another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    Great.! That folder is getting a sync with google drive then ! Thanks for fast answer.
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    pior said:
    Hey @rollin ! Well, I can certainly confirm that this code here totally works. Excellent, thanks !

Now I just need to dig a bit deeper into what it takes for PME to call full on python scripts, as I find that manually creating UI panels is just too cumbersome. Totally doable mind you, but just not fluidly enough imho - as everytime I find myself doing so to neatly store useful little presets and shortcuts I always end up reverting to PME, for its ease of use and speed. Looks like it does need to be an external .py for it to call it though, so I suppose it has to be formatted like any other addon. But hey at the very least it will save me the hassle of creating a panel :)
    It actually works? Lucky me ;)

But I can just urge everyone to setup a personal panel-addon. The process is really simple and if you use Visual Studio Code + Blender dev addon the time you loose is neglectable but you gain the option to quickly throw small code snipets you find somewhere on a button.

I can recommend this tut (not even 5 min) and overall he's doing a great job with his videos getting you started
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uahfuypQQ04
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    Just for completeness' sake, the path on Linux systems is most likely ~/.config/blender

(Also second try to edit this on mobile. The editor is a pain on mobile...)
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    @rollin : well, I wouldn't really call that "really simple" :D Even just now, following the official docs I am running into some trouble wrapping the code above into an addon that registers properly ... even though that's something I definitely did in the past :D Not giving up though.