Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D to 2D art

Orr_Malus
triangle
Offline / Send Message
Orr_Malus triangle

I always thought the cell-shaded look on 3D art and animation looked like crap. I never understood what the point of that shader was. Then Guilty Gear Xrd came out which proved you can successfully create the 2D illusion using 3D models. Needless to say that blew my mind and from a 2D artist I evolved to a 3D one. Now I'm trying to mimic that style with the purpose of successfully tricking the eye into seeing a 2D image not a 3D one.

The image above is the level I'm at now. I don't want to mimic the anime look, I want to see if it's possible to achieve the same results but with a more western style of drawing. Not a lot of people are interested in this particular topic so I'm dying to know what you guys think and what your critiques are.

Replies

• Orr_Malus
  • kanga
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Looks pretty cool. Nice expressive figure. One of my favorite games makes good use of this technique (Boarderlands). The hair looks super!
  • Fatos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fatos polycounter lvl 2
    This is really nice! Is it done in marmoset ?
  • Orr_Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orr_Malus triangle
    Fatos said:
    This is really nice! Is it done in marmoset ?
    No. It's rendered in Daz Studio but it's a composite image.
  • Orr_Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orr_Malus triangle
    Here's another one. Does it lean more towards 2D or 3D?
  • Orr_Malus
  • fiaful
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orr_Malus said:

I always thought the cell-shaded look on 3D art and animation looked like crap. I never understood what the point of that shader was. Then Guilty Gear Xrd came out which proved you can successfully create the 2D illusion using 3D models. Needless to say that blew my mind and from a 2D artist I evolved to a 3D one. Now I'm trying to mimic that style with the purpose of successfully tricking the eye into seeing a 2D image not a 3D one.

The image above is the level I'm at now. I don't want to mimic the anime look, I want to see if it's possible to achieve the same results but with a more western style of drawing. Not a lot of people are interested in this particular topic so I'm dying to know what you guys think and what your critiques are.
    OMG! This is exactly the level I would like to reach with Daz3D, but I have absolutely no idea how to do it!

Would you be kind enough to explain to me all the procedure you have adopted (shared used, positioning of the lights, whether or not you have changed the textures and how, the rendering parameters, etc.)? I would really like to reach a result like this!

if you prefer I can give you my email address, or my facebook contact, or tell me ... I would be infinitely grateful!