Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] How to make my scene more realistic ?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
GuillaumeLD polycounter lvl 3
Hello everyone,
It is the first time that I post on polycount for critique. I am doing this project since last week and I very like the. I feel right now that my project has a stylize look and I would like to make more realistic style. I would like to make my scene feel more real. I feel the texture and maybe the proportion of some object are to stylize. This would be a portfolio piece that I want to help me to go to a video game company like Ubisoft Montréal, Eidos Montreal or Warner Bros.

Have you any advice or suggestion to help my scene to feel more real?

Thank you. Your help is very appreciated.

PS: I know that my scene is empty. But I will add more props when I do the modification of my scene when it is more real.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    First thing I'd point out is everything seems thick and clunky. It looks really stylized because of just how thick everything is. Do you have a concept art you're working off of? Each beam and table and chair take up so much space, there is such little amount of empty space in the image, and it feels incredibly cramped. It also looks like tiling textures was just thrown on everything. I think your wood texture could use a lot of work before it becomes realistic. Was it made in Substance Designer?
  • GuillaumeLD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis
    Thank you for answering.
    I didn't make a concept art, but I was inspired by this concept art : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/4bNlJW made by Jeon Hyun Ho and I understand with is stylize.
    The main reason why the texture is similar, because it made with the same trim sheet. My wood texture is make modelling with Blender and texture in substance painter.

I will try to make the scene less cramped and my props less thick. I find this asset that I think I can be more inpired :  https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/furniture/table/medieval-table-pack

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph_Bramlett polycounter lvl 4
    If you look back at your reference notice how the wood is lumpy even a solid rectangular beam has variations in its silhouette that make it feel more natural. Theres this idea thats popularized in films like Star Wars and Blade Runner of how to create a Used Universe and that word used is the key. This thing needs to be dinged up a bit and imperfect. Your stools show that a bit with how the seats edges dont quite line up. Ide take that into consideration with the rest of the room. How can you make this less boxy and more lived in. Even when a place has no props in it you can still tell if its been lived in. Thats where your environment should be going towards for now. 
  • GuillaumeLD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis @Joseph_Bramlett
    I just add some modification of my scene with your suggestion and it better. It certainly look less cramped with the modification I make. Thanks you for the help.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, it's looking better already. For the table texturing, I'd change up the texture on the end of the beams. Maybe make it a bit more rough and lighten the colour a tiny bit. Get rid of the table nearest to the camera as its drawing the eye more than anything else in the scene.
  • GuillaumeLD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, it's looking better already. For the table texturing, I'd change up the texture on the end of the beams. Maybe make it a bit more rough and lighten the colour a tiny bit. Get rid of the table nearest to the camera as its drawing the eye more than anything else in the scene.
    @Ashervisalis Hello, I just wanted to show you the result after your suggestion. I feel so me close by the result I want. Thank you again!
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great! The addition of the ropes are great. Are you able to make the floor planks longer?