Home Marmoset

Lights not working as expected.

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
I'm having 2 issues in 3.06 that I don't think I ran in to in 3.05

1. Lights in general don't seem to be casting shadows properly. I can have a light behind an object with shadows, ambient occlusion, and GI turned on, and the light will still cast through the object even though it's not there.

2. Spot Angle seems to be broken? I've turned off all lights and the sky lighting in my scene except for a single spot light. In previous versions I'd be able to alter the spot angle to cast the light at specific parts of the model and leave the rest in shadow (and this would work at full spot sharpness, or 0 spot sharpness), and now the spot angle doesn't seem to have an effect on the lighting of the model. It behaves exactly like an Omni light.
The Spot light does have the expected Spot angle shaping on fog objects, but the sharpness setting does not affect Fog objects either.

Width Length and Height are at 0. Rocket mode is off. And the light effects stay the same regardless of whether or not all the settings for rendering are turned on, are at maximum, or are completely off. 
Thoughts?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. Try turning off GI and seeing if this is the culprit. GI works on a simplified, voxelized version of the scene, so sometimes there can be light leaking in complex scenes.

2. Double check to make sure the light type is set to Spot rather than Omni. The Spot settings are visible when set to Omni or Directional but only apply in Spot mode
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Earthquake,
    I turned off GI settings, AO, local reflections, any sort of emissives in the material, and made sure the lights were set to Spot, and it's still not working as expected. 
    I'll try posting some renders of the problem tonight or tomorrow morning
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SOLVED: I remade the file from scratch, and it wasn't having the same issue, so I compared the render and material settings and found that I had toggled on Transparency > Refraction in my material. Turning it off gave me back the proper shadowing and light affects on the model. 
    Thanks!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, that makes sense, thanks for the update.