Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jak and Daxter - Jak Remake

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Melazee polycounter lvl 11
EDIT: Most recent image (so the preview image on the 3D showcase homepage isn't that eye-bleaching concept I did D:)

---
Hey all!

Not sure if anyone remembers my "Next Gen Jak" thread from a few years ago (http://polycount.com/discussion/148157/next-gen-jak-wip/p1)... well, I've decided to have another go, but in my own style now as opposed to trying to do Jak in a realistic style! So far, I have just sketched up his body and the layers of his clothing. I will be doing his design from the first game this time 'round. Here are my sketches next to a quick scale ref screengrab from my Daxter model:

This Jak will go with my Daxter model I made, which is here:

They will eventually be posed together... perhaps on the hoverbike like the image below, but we will see!

Now, I've been pretty busy so this won't be a quick thread but if anyone fancies chiming in whenever, feel free! :)

Replies

• Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on Jak!

Got the body and face pretty much done (he's a little too ripped really. found out he's meant to be 15 but ah well, it'll all be hidden under clothing anyways). Beginning to block in other bits. I ended up keeping him more similar to his original PS2 concept than my own concept, but I'd like to think there's still elements of my style in there :P

EDIT: Replaced original screenshots with a bigger version of Jak's full body (with Haz's awesome skin shader!) and a better headshot. The greyscale small one was a bit tricky to see. Going to work on the feet and hands separately.

C+C welcome!
  • Bar0n
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar0n polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, we had the same idea! I also did a restyling of Jak based on my taste (you can view it here if you're interested ).
    Anyway i love your Daxter model and your Jak is coming up along nicely!

Keep it going!
  • Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for the compliment! I'll check yours out now :) Tell you what though, his hair ain't half tricky to do!
  • Bar0n
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar0n polycounter lvl 9
    I think I spent more time on figuring how to do his hair than on the rest of the model.

Looking forward for your next update!
  • Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Back on this guy! Blocked in hands and feet, started blocking in clothing :)

• Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    This evening's work - more clothing blocking! Everything is just mashed in for now. Once I've finalised the silhouettes, I'll take the clothing into 3D Coat for retopo, and then I can add all the detail I need with nice, clean, unified meshes. 

Some redline scribbles below. I want the silhouette to be stronger, it's definitely too weak right now. The clothing needs to flare more. He will also look more balanced when I add the bits on his torso I suppose!

Of course, I welcome any feedback! The more feedback I get at this stage, the better really!

• Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Still not dead. Still working on this, on and off! And still blocking in the clothing.... haha. I swear I'll finish this, one day. Those things on his ankles are currently just his waist strap duplicated and stretched, I'll model them properly soon.

Oh, I modelled Jak's goggles properly now too, which is nice to see.

• Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit more work today. Trying to get the fabric looking right! Added a few other bits and pieces too.

• Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a vow to try and finish my unfinished models this year! Never was entirely happy with how this one was turning out, but I've had almost a year break from it (lol!), and gone back to it with a fresh pair of eyes. I've fixed up a lot of the shape issues (although butchered the feet in the process), and have solved a lot of issues I was having trouble with back when I started the model. Here's a comparison of the two.

Still got a way to go, but I am glad I've gone back and fixed up the nasty issues that made me drop the project in the first place.
  • Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update! Added some new bits, and did a quick pose in Zbrush. Can't wait to get on to texturing this!

I still need to add some more bits, and add some detail onto his hair (plus finish the goggles and refine some areas further).

• BestiART
    Offline / Send Message
    BestiART polycounter lvl 5
    Hey, i would try to make the hips a bit larger to make him look more interesting. If you have to retopo i suggest you to make him with open legs and with the right space between the fingers.
    Keep going :)
  • Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! I agree about the hips, I've had quite a bit of trouble getting them correct. I will try to tweak them, plus the hands and legs :) 
  • BestiART
    Offline / Send Message
    BestiART polycounter lvl 5
    no problem, i also think that maybe the abs part is too long compared to the concept
  • Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Update! He feels much better proportioned now I've made the hips wider, cheers for the feedback! I also spread the fingers out, but then I made them fatter so I think I'll need to spread them apart even further :'D Need to do some more work on the hand though, so they don't look so much like gloves.

I'm keeping the torso as it is however, since I'm not entirely keen on the way I drew Jak in that image! I don't like him so squat looking now I look back on it.

• Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an updated render. Trying out Arnold for the first time! I painted the eyes in Photoshop as I didn’t bring the texture through, hence why they look a little different from before.

Any more more feedback on him? :)
  • Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a few more details added tonight! :)

• Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Here Jak's game-ready goggles! Decided to start on these first before the rest of the body, they were good fun. I need to fix up the crosshairs on the red goggle, but other than that, I'm happy with 'em.

I have also changed the hair finally, I think sculpted hair matches the overall style better. Plus, it'll be so much easier to unwrap!

• Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Some texturing work tonight on his face!

• Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    More updates this evening! Faking eye shadow seems to be the best way to make his eyes look nice:

I have also stuck some default Substance materials on the body to see how they look because I am getting way too ahead of myself :'D I shall refine them further though. I need to make an SSS map for the body, make the colours match better, make the colours pop more, add dirt and grime, etc etc. But it's getting there!

• Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Coming along, the fake shadow is probably going to need it's opacity lowered by 50-70% it's really heavy right now
  • Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I agree about the eye shadow. I need to tweak the alpha map in Photoshop, that will be my next task for sure :) 
  • Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost done, got a few tweaks to make here and there, but I've been working on this far too long :,D I need to twist the foot outwards more I think, because the silhouette is a bit pants right now.

Here is an older Mixamo test I did for fun! I unfortunately can't rig, so this'll have to do!

• Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I'm calling this done. Spent way too long on it and I need to move on! This was a fun project!

Marmoset turnarounds and more renders here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3oe3Ko

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    The eye AO feels off as it's basically bisecting the eyeball.

The way the cornea specular is working, I'm not quite buying it.  It almost needs to read a tad more rough I feel/

Hair could use some anisotropy to make it pop.  I have a solution, Overwatch style, from my Red Tracer thread if you want a possible solution.

The mouth corners are not pinching inwards towads the face.  It's reading more like perpetual duck face as opposed to proper mouth cruvature.  This is gonna be slightly annoying, but they're gonna need an edit to the sculpt.

The clothe tactility feels gucci.
  • Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh, cheers for the feedback! Glad you gave some feedback, I knew things were wrong, but I'd been staring at it for so long that I couldn't see exactly what it was. The overall render feels a little too muddy to me too.

I will go back and see what I can do with those fixes. As for the duckface, that's quite funny haha. I will see what I can do, although I might not end up fixing that simply because it might be more trouble than it's worth. However, I will go back and take a look at improving the other things when I get the chance!

Cheers :D
  • Melazee
    Offline / Send Message
    Update to the render! I'm definitely going to leave it at this now, but it's most certainly a massive improvement, cheers for the feedback!