Home Featured Artwork

[Finished] Samurai

insane polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Pav3d insane polycounter
Hello!

Inspired by all the samurai themed games during E3 (especially Sekiro) i decided to make my own.
Final scene will have her shot full of arrows, or cornered, or making some sort of last stand, something dramatic!
Ive been busy researching and concepting and here's where I am at the moment:

Majority of it is still in early concept blob stage but a few things are starting to take shape.

Her sandals and leg wraps:

Her arm armour:

Next ill continue on with the sleeve fabric and research a way to do the intricate chainmail that Kote have. As well as designed her emblem which will dictate the theme of all the pattern work.

Replies

• Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Seems like I either started too early or too late for this Artstation challenge, so poor timing from me :D
    Anyway here is what Ive been working on:
    Working on the arm armour and fabric. Upper arm armour still needs some string holding it together and engraving

Here's the process of the mon design:

Here's what shes looking like overall, playing around with the idea of having a head dress that would be similar in fashion to something on a helmet
    Also did some work on the trouser folds exploring the character of her face and other little designs, next up is doing some more armour work (coz its fun :P ) and some more work on the trousers

• Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Details in the sculpt are gorgeous!!!
    Just kinda skeptic about this chain mail on the elbows, looks way too weak to me, looks like it would break in a sec. I would suggest to make it plain or remove it.

And yeah haha thought the same for the artstation contest, too bad because it's coming out really nicely!!
  • priderice
    Offline / Send Message
    priderice triangle
    I Really love the Stiching and the thin Fiber Rope, makes it so realistic
  • Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    really great attention to detail with this piece, the tiny details on the hand are so good
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Tutorial please!

Will pay money to watch breakdown of the stitching between plates, particularly the gloves. 

• aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    aanselmo polycounter lvl 2
    This is getting amazing, the details are really good, love the footwear with the rope piece
  • ja000ha
    Offline / Send Message
    ja000ha triangle
    The details are excellent! Looking forward to seeing how she turns out.
  • g_osorio
    Offline / Send Message
    g_osorio polycounter lvl 3
    This is gorgeous! how did you do the back part of the shoes? was it all with zspheres?
  • sugunwar
    Offline / Send Message
    sugunwar polycounter lvl 8
    Hello, nice job, could you explain how to make that stiches and back part of shoes? please

• Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Thanks guys! :smiley:

sugunwar said:
    Hello, nice job, could you explain how to make that stiches and back part of shoes? please

g_osorio said:
    This is gorgeous! how did you do the back part of the shoes? was it all with zspheres?
    Took some experimenting but I did it all using curves in Zbrush. zspheres are too damn fiddly for me :P
    Using this video of how theyre made as a guide, i set up some meshes in 3ds max that would act as curve guides in Zbrush.

Using the open edges curve function I added curves to and and applied a simple rope brush I made to it.

Then I had to do some inflating and sculpting to clean it all up.

Final touch is adding some fibremesh for some frayed string effect.
    Tutorial please!

Will pay money to watch breakdown of the stitching between plates, particularly the gloves. 

Im looking into it :)
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Hey guys, been a while! Been busy working on the armour and lots of fold sculpting. Decided to give her a helmet in the end as samurai helmets are too cool to not do :smiley:

Renamed the thread to "Samurai Defeated" as in the final pose she'll be at the end of a long battle, filled with arrows and about to engage in a final stand.

Still got a lot of detailing to do (armour string holes, memory creases, rips, damage etc) and engraving on the armour.

• oraeles77
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
    all of this was done in zbrush??
  • renocrade
    Offline / Send Message
    renocrade polycounter lvl 4
    great job with the details.
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Thanks @renocrade :smile:

oraeles77 said:
    all of this was done in zbrush??
    The armour and string was made in 3ds max, the cloth was all sculpted in Zbrush
  • Carlos Eduardo
    Offline / Send Message
    Carlos Eduardo polycounter lvl 5
    Amazing how fast you can work. Your topics are always full of motivation and knowledge for me. Thanks a lot!
  • Mark Dygert
    This is coming a long fan-fucking-tastically. Keep up the good work!

Aaahem... I mean this sucks, you're failing, try harder. ;)
  • AndrewCothill
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewCothill polycounter lvl 6
    The cloth was all done in ZBrush?? 

You're my new hero :no_mouth:
  • Lou_
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    Great work so far! If this is anything like Lordling I am sure it will become another of my favourite pieces of character art! 
  • Bill Lumbergh
    Offline / Send Message
    Bill Lumbergh polycounter
    I love it Pavel!! so good!
  • bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Oh man, thats too good to pass up. Thank you for the notice @Lucie666
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    so good, I can't wait to see how this develops 
  • Aga22
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    this is insane. congrats. i'm amazed.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    That's some kickass detailing work, the whole piece is incredibly well done
  • shogunato
    Offline / Send Message
    shogunato polycounter lvl 12
    Fantastic work this is really impressive
  • Ruflse
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
    Your characters are always top quality! I learn a lot using them as reference.
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Thanks everyone :smiley:
    Been working on finalizing her face and pore details.

Also been working on her Katana and exploring the wind/cloud/fujin/rajin themes of the engraving. Here is the high poly.

Next up is belts and armour detailing
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    man....

i follow a lot of great artist who make work that makes you say, "damn, that's awesome." but your work consistently makes me say not just "awesome" but also "how the fuck did he make that." And always with the tiny little details too. Really impressive. 
  • BestiART
    Offline / Send Message
    BestiART polycounter lvl 5
    looks great man!! How did you make the details on the handle of the katana?
  • dGreenberg
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    The katana looks incredible and her face has so much more life and personality now, man! All the pieces on that sword look like they interlock and work so well together, and your details are always super well made. The details on the grip just below the guard and the part at the top of the scabbard (in particular) are jaw dropping. Incredible update as usual, @Pav3d!
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Thanks guys, very encouraging :smile:

Tutorial please!

If you are referring to the chainmail in between the glove plates I can explain that.

For this I used nanomesh in Zbrush. Since Zbrush will create the nanomesh mesh in the center of each poly I made a proxy mesh in 3ds max to guide exactly where I wanted to the chainmail to appear.

You can edit the proxy mesh using regular move brushes etc and see the updates on the chainmail in real time.

You can use the ZDM brush "spin edge" option to adjust any incorrectly rotated chainmail links.

The final part is just manually moving around individual chainmail links to get them to fit in the correct spot. This is the longest and most tedius part and there is no fast way to do this sadly :p

Now if I was doing this for a game character today I wouldnt bother with this method  :p I would instead bake down chainmail onto a simpler mesh, similar to the orignal proxy mesh and align it that way. Im just using this as a way to experiment to see if I can find some way to make a chainmail with some more depth.

BestiART said:
    Hey thanks! could you be more specific? im not sure what area you mean, the white handle texture or the wraps or the engraving or...? :)
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, I really appreciate that, Paul.  So you get the chainmail into position, then just have to line things up, and punch out the tiny holes.... very meticulous. If you baked the chainmail into a texture, I don't think then you could have it runnign through holes like that on ethe gloves? Well, I'll see how it looks at the end and should be able to understand.

I saw that you had a live class, unfortunately it was while I was out of town. If you have anything more like that planned, please let us know. 
  • NikhilR
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter

BestiART said:
    Hey thanks! could you be more specific? im not sure what area you mean, the white handle texture or the wraps or the engraving or...? :)

@Pav3d
     Thank you so much for sharing these techniques!
    I've been using the curve function method for some straps on a sword I'm making (not working out very well)
    Did you use curve functions for the wraps on your katana?
    I'm preparing to post progress for my model, would it be alright to pm you some progress thus far first and get some guidance?
  • BestiART
    Offline / Send Message
    BestiART polycounter lvl 5
    Pav3d said:
    Thanks guys, very encouraging :smile:

Tutorial please!

If you are referring to the chainmail in between the glove plates I can explain that.

For this I used nanomesh in Zbrush. Since Zbrush will create the nanomesh mesh in the center of each poly I made a proxy mesh in 3ds max to guide exactly where I wanted to the chainmail to appear.

You can edit the proxy mesh using regular move brushes etc and see the updates on the chainmail in real time.

You can use the ZDM brush "spin edge" option to adjust any incorrectly rotated chainmail links.

The final part is just manually moving around individual chainmail links to get them to fit in the correct spot. This is the longest and most tedius part and there is no fast way to do this sadly :p

Now if I was doing this for a game character today I wouldnt bother with this method  :p I would instead bake down chainmail onto a simpler mesh, similar to the orignal proxy mesh and align it that way. Im just using this as a way to experiment to see if I can find some way to make a chainmail with some more depth.

BestiART said:
    I mean the grip of the katana, those fabric fibers, how did you make them? :)
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Fantastic dude! You're going above and beyond with those katanga details, the materials look spot on. Great job
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    NikhilR said:
    @Pav3d
     Thank you so much for sharing these techniques!
    I've been using the curve function method for some straps on a sword I'm making (not working out very well)
    Did you use curve functions for the wraps on your katana?
    I'm preparing to post progress for my model, would it be alright to pm you some progress thus far first and get some guidance?
    Ill explain the wraps below. And yeah sure, when I have some time I will take a look :)
    BestiART said:
    I mean the grip of the katana, those fabric fibers, how did you make them? :)
    The wraps are made in 3ds max, made using relatively simple meshes with a shell and turbosmooth modifier on top

Before that I had to get my head around how theyre actually made IRL, so I did some practicing with some shoelaces :p

this pdf helped a lot.

While modelling I made sure my UVs remained straight, so it would be easier later on.

I then made the thread pattern using substance designer. Its fairly clean at the moment I will need to make rips, holes, loose threads etc.

Currently the wraps are pretty high poly, so I will make a simpler low poly mesh of the handle and then bake the colour information from the thread normal maps onto it. Then bake the high poly wraps normals and blend them together.

I will be using this technique for all the string holding the armour together.
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Hey everyone,

Finished up the sculpt. Felt like I was doing knots and string for months :p

Belts, string, skirt armour clips and hand detailing

More belts and string, as well as the Douran (ammunition pouch, took a while to find out what that was called!)

Embossing on the Kote armour, as well as some detailing around the Egawa (white leather parts on the armour)

And holes, so many holes, for all those threads :P

Part of this project is to see how much detailing (that just gets baked down anyway) I can move to substance painter/designer, so instead of doing things like stitching, remaining memory folds and rips/damage in the sculpt ill save them for the texturing stage. This is so I can have a lot more control, not have to deal with really dense meshes and easily erase and change things up.

Biggest one is the engraving, which I normally do in the sculpt but im going to do it in painter, as well as the Egawa patterning.
    After some experimenting ive found that you can basically recreate the chisel brush within painter using a normal map as a brush.
    Heres a quick test I did on lordling:

Also folders are GREAT :D
    Now off to low poly hibernation!
  • Ruflse
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
    Looking solid!
    I did a samurai some time ago and I'm curious to know how you are planning to retopo these pieces. Are you going to use the same model and texture space for all of them or are you going to give each of them their own topology and texture?

• Lou_
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    Amazing work Paul! 

How do you do about baking the normals of the wraps? 

Is it projecting the colour map in zbrush
    or are you Photoshop editing them on to the UVs 

It seems like a very interesting workflow. 
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Thanks guys!
    Ruflse said:
    Looking solid!
    I did a samurai some time ago and I'm curious to know how you are planning to retopo these pieces. Are you going to use the same model and texture space for all of them or are you going to give each of them their own topology and texture?

Each plate in the set you highlighted will have its own topology and uv's. Then it will be duplicated 5 times around the body. The front 3 and the back 3 will share the same UV's. Theyll look something like this:
    Lou_ said:
    Amazing work Paul! 

How do you do about baking the normals of the wraps? 

Is it projecting the colour map in zbrush
    or are you Photoshop editing them on to the UVs 

It seems like a very interesting workflow. 
    Heres a breakdown, hopefully it makes sense :)

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    all these mini-tut's in your threads ought to be compiled and archived.
  • bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Wonderful work Paul! I look forward to seeing how you manage to retopo/uv all the tiny details

@BIGTIMEMASTER I second that! It'd be nice to have a repository of various mini tut's people post on the forums. There are so many hidden gems
  • Ackeem
    Offline / Send Message
    Ackeem polycounter lvl 8
    Brilliant work as always man! great thread as well
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Thanks guys! Been a while but Ive been busy doing the low poly, baking, texturing, hair cards as well as designing fabric and engraving patterns. For now heres her weapons.

Still texturing her, nearly done :)
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Damn such intricate detailing and beautiful closeups. I am super impressed on how well you have retained the details on the textures. Almost look like detail maps are being used in places! 
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Hey thanks! Just a 4k texture, no detail maps :)
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Hey everyone! Been doing the low poly, baking, texturing and hair. Designing patterns and engraving takes a long-ass time :p

• AmShaegar
    Offline / Send Message
    AmShaegar polycounter lvl 4
    That silk-ish fabric with the subtle anisotropic reflection effect is exceptionally good looking. Amazing work
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally! Been anxiously awaiting this for too long.
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    great work, thanks for all the breakdowns! 
  • ScopeDragon
    Offline / Send Message
    ScopeDragon polycounter lvl 4
    Oh my goodness. That is a very sexy piece of work you got there.