Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[FINISHED] skater girl, exercise in MD -> realtime test

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Rikard86 polycounter lvl 5
A while ago I was working on an actual male character to give my folio a reason to exist and not just being pictures of pretty girls and then I saw the discount on Marvelous Designer and I thought why not

so I picked one of my anatomy exercises and turned it into this

face is actually a bit of a likeness attempt to a japanese model I didn't fully develop but I'm pretty satisfied with how it came out.

I've had a few people I trust help me with anatomy, cloth draping, zBrush extra detailing and such in the past weeks, so I managed to get the character in this state reasonably quick. So far all it's missing is a proper texture for the hoodie, a tote bag accessory (I will go back to Marvelous Designer to build it) and to go over the face/body textures one last time.

I will post a bunch of pictures of the MD simulation and the zBrush sculpt soon for the sake of completeness I guess.

see you pretty soon

Replies

• Rikard86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick update

still need to finalize the textures on both body and clothing but I think I'm sticking with this design for the hoodie, don't want to go overboard with details honestly

made an attempt at a bag that caused me a bit of a trouble since I am still not very experienced with MD. Those buttons are a no-go and will be replaced by something more proper, will add a few pins, reshape the strap a bit and add some more detail via texturing

Will get you back in a few days when I'm done with the bag, next phase should be the pre-pose
  • BestiART
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BestiART polycounter lvl 5
    Ciao Rikard, i like your work but i feel like a few wrinkles on the pant and sweatshirt are not natural. On the pant the wrinkles behind the knees and in front of it, i would try to look better at your references, can you maybe post them here?

I was also thinking that is weird that the part of the pant in the butt area is skinny but then you have big wrinkles down, this means that the pant is larger in the knee/tibia area but smaller in the butt, is that the thing you want to achieve? i try to post a few pictures to make understand better the thing i'm saying:

I would honestly make the butt area of the pant larger, but it is up to you. Keep working on her, is coming along great :)
    Sorry for my english that is not so good!
  • Rikard86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @BestiART

Yeah you kinda got what I was going for :smile: I went for a straight leg look with a slightly elastic fabric, making them a bit more form fitting around the waist and get a bit looser as they go down the leg.
    For the butt my references are similar to yours, while I've used something like these for the legs.

• BestiART
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BestiART polycounter lvl 5
    ok got it, i would maybe try to make the part from the elastic part of the pant to the larger one a bit smoother? right now looks like it suddendly become larger, you can see it from the thickness of the wrinkles. There are 2 things i would do:

1) would try to make her butt area of the pant a bit larger and less elastic.
    2) would keep the butt area as it is but would smooth the wrinkles behind the knees to make it feel like that area is still a bit elastic like the butt area.

i don't know if you get what i mean, is hard for me to express  this thing in english. 
  • Rikard86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I get what you mean, a lot of those folds were added afterwards so I might have went a bit overboard. Rebaking the texture with less opacity on the folds layer to give it a more gradual look should do the trick, not going to do it at this time but going back on it shouldn't be hard.

I think the camera and the distance have something to do with it though, 'cause from a zoomed in view it's pretty clear that the folds gradually become bigger.

• Rikard86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lowpoly'd the bag, added a few details and put a base texture on it, time to add some detail and polish it up a bit

• Rikard86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gave her a pair of glasses, they weren't planned but I followed some suggestions to try to give her some eyewear and I liked the result.
    She looks like a dork now but I planned to have some poses with the glasses hanging from her shirt.

I also gave her a bit extra imperfections on her face to remove the doll skin effect and reworked her hair texture a bit to reduce the "fade" effect and make it a bit more solid, now her fringe is a lot thicker so I might have to go back on it but it's no biggie.

Besides those fixes I'm pretty done with her, will rig soon.

• Rikard86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it's time to stop before I start stacking up too much stuff on her and RUIN IT FOREVER

more pics + 3D viewer here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/gJ9nne

She's been tons of fun to work on, besides the Marvelous workflow I got the chance to work on a few props and piece of clothing which were pretty cool to work on.

Now where the hell was I