Home Marmoset

Marmoset keeps crashing

White_wizard
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
White_wizard polycounter lvl 2
I have exported my textures from the substance as 16bit tiff. Halfway through inputting the textures marmoset crashes, any tips on optimizing performance or alternative renderers? 
Specs for my computer
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Try 8 bit images instead. If you have many high resolution 16 bit images you may be running out of video memory.
  • White_wizard
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh, i see okay, and do you think that's good enough for portfolio render? 
  • EarthQuake
    Ahh, i see okay, and do you think that's good enough for portfolio render? 
    16 bit images are not generally necessary. The only map type where you'll likely notice a difference would be a height/displacement map, and only in certain scenarios, so if you're using displacement mapping in Toolbag, you may want to use 16 bit for the height map.
  • White_wizard
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks reducing them to 8bit and now it works okay.

• White_wizard
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Earthquake, haha I thought it was fixed but marmoset now crashes constantly, it takes about 6 attempts to open a scene before it opens up. any tips optimization? 
  • EarthQuake
    Hi Earthquake, haha I thought it was fixed but marmoset now crashes constantly, it takes about 6 attempts to open a scene before it opens up. any tips optimization? 
    I imagine it's a memory problem. 1.5GB is only enough for simple scenes. If you can swap to a better video card that would be a good idea.

You can try reducing the size of your textures as well, that should help. Going from 4096x4096x to 2048x2048 for instance will mean 1/4th the memory use.

Try using as few lights as possible as well. Each light needs a new shadow map texture which takes up video memory.

Lastly, make sure to close any other content creation programs while running Toolbag, like Photoshop, Substance, 3D apps, etc, to free up video memory.
  • White_wizard
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm it seems an external video card for mac would be the answer because my textures are 8 bit 2048 atm.
    Thanks for your answer :)

• EarthQuake
    Hmm it seems an external video card for mac would be the answer because my textures are 8 bit 2048 atm.
    Thanks for your answer :)

Yeah if you're on a laptop that is probably your best bet. You could go down to 1K with your textures too of course.

We have not texted external video cards on Mac, but assuming they work in the same way traditional video card works, it should work for Toolbag as well. Let me know if you run into any problems with that.
  • White_wizard
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi thanks for your response, i ended up just renting a better pc to render with. 
  • hansolocambo
    Offline / Send Message
    hansolocambo polycounter lvl 8
    Definitely a hardware issue. Intel GPUs are really not what you want to work with when doing anything related to 3D. Probably even more for real time. And your RAM is definitely not enough if you plan on working with 16bits images. But it's not necessary as explained by Earthquake except if you really want like crazy to avoid banding that 1% of the population will notice, or if you want ultra clean height / alpha maps.

In other words. For real time 3D, think : NVidia with 4+ GB of RAM,  16GB RAM, and an i7 3.5Ghz.  It's not minimum specs as it all depends on what you're working on. But it's comfortable. You can have your 4 screens with ZBrush, Marvelous, Maya, 3D-Coat all open at the same time and all runs smooth.