Star Wars - Redemption ( FanMade Project )

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Vexod14 greentooth

"Star Wars - Redemption" is the temporary title I've found for a fanmade project inspired mostly by the clone wars TV serie and, of course, star wars universe. At the beginning it was just about a jedi in a clone outfit and the more I spend time on it, the more things were added to this base concept. I'm not sur if this is the right section my post belongs to but I wanted to share it with you. As it's a fan project I don't spend the time I'd want on it, the evolution will be chaotic in terms of regularity ^^ Sorry in advance =)

The project may take place between Ep2 & Ep5 or more, I'm not done yet with the story. The final platform is still unknown, for now I'm more in favor of a videogame than a webserie. I'm using mostly 3dsMax, MightyBake & 3DCoat for texturing & occasionally PS when it's time to rework some little details, and for the animation part I'm in love with Akeytsu =) That's all folks !

Des bisous !

Note : you can follow the project's evolution on artstation : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/gO4Pm

And of course, constructive criticism is always appreciated =)

Replies

• WilliamB_Art
    Offline / Send Message
    WilliamB_Art triangle
    Mate, can't put into words how awesome I think this is!
    As a Star Wars fan, I have to say, that I love what i've seen of the project so far!
    Keep up the awesome work mate, cheers!

• Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 9

Love it dude :)
  • dondrapichrust
    Offline / Send Message
    dondrapichrust triangle
    Its looking sweet! Keep up the good work, definetly would like to see more, or maybe play it :)
  • LoganTMT
    Offline / Send Message
    LoganTMT triangle
    you should seriously turn this into a movie dude! That'd be really cool if it did.
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 greentooth
    Thanks guys for your really kind words ! 

About a movie it can seems strange but I wanted to do a short film at the very beginning ^^

But to be honest, now things are far more exciting on a real time engine. Things moves smooth, render is beautiful even if it's in real time and you can play with your editor assets like you would play with Lego stuff, I find it personally much more fun this way ;)

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi interpolator

Although the art style isn't really my cup of tea but all the same I have to acknowledge your dedication plus that of others have for this fan derived project and it would be unsurprising to think IP connected eyeballs may've popped in for a peek since the work is obviously aesthetically polished. Anyway hope you make it too a playable demo.

Cheers.   

• Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 greentooth
    Hi guys ! It's been a while, a lil' update about Mevenn who has a new skin plus a dedicated project post on artstation, here : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Q9gDZ

WIP idle, skin/Rig/Anim made 100% on Akeytsu =)

• Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova polycounter lvl 4
    Gosh, nothing much too add and not that much time to comment, but i really lvoe passing by this post!! Full of skill and passion!!
  • pixelpatron
    Online / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter lvl 6
    Amazing stuff, but why? Not poo poo'ing the incredible work being done in here, but why create something with this much passion love and effort that you can't own? I don't understand.
  • Vexod14
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 greentooth
    Droideka - Full post here with marmoset viewers ;) https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Bm1xrA

New guy added !

An Elite's skin for harder-to-kill ones :

• inkwizithor
    Offline / Send Message
    inkwizithor triangle
    You are doing gods work. This is awesome! Keep it up. I want to see this finished! :)
  • PraxisPixels
    Offline / Send Message
    PraxisPixels keyframe
    I love this project! I'm excited to see what you do next.

Also you're foliage and ground cover are beautiful, I'd love to see more details about your process for those.
  • dondrapichrust
    Offline / Send Message
    dondrapichrust triangle
    Mega awesome work man! the style & mood is just perfect, keep it up!
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 greentooth
    Also you're foliage and ground cover are beautiful, I'd love to see more details about your process for those.
    which part ? Modeling, Texturing, integration ? Btw this part still needs a lot of work to be more immersive ( player interactivity )
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 14
    That's awesome stuff. I hope you get to finish it.
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 greentooth
    I've been busy  last months, I'm still trying to find a new job which sometimes involves doing an art test (time consuming but lots of learning), and I've been fortunate enough to work with amazing clients such as "I From Japan" (you're in my heart guys ♥), soooooo I had not that much time for Star Wars - Redemption (sorry sorry =X !) 

I've also made a first try for a waterfall

I've created some water effects for Lumberia, I want to add some other features such as underwater sun scattering but don't know how to proceed yet, except by placing manually some meshes with a fake effect, I'm not a huge fan of it as it's not something managed dynamically. But of course if the final level is a small one it would be a good choice  

This is our environment material. Almost finished (need to rework the variator's part, simplify some areas to be able to use this material over more stuff than walls and pillars, it's probably the most difficult part to achieve for me as I feel I'm new to game development tricks, especially about environment art). This one took me a lot of time and iterations as I wanted to have a specific result and didn't knew all the required tricks involved to make it, but things begin to look nicer and nicer and I'm pretty happy with the result I get at each iteration
    Now we can simply blend two surfaces (here a sculpted Sith wall and bricks), add noise "Variators", animated or not, which I'm using intensively when I'm texturing all my assets on 3DCoat, add or not a "SnowSandMoss" layer over the whole mesh depending on Z+ projection, add a distinct color to each of these surfaces...each of the features are controlled by at least vertex color + most of the time a custom mask texture...and plenty of other cool controls =D The goal is to simplify a lot environment asset's creation while keeping an artistic control on top of it =)

I've made some new tiling maps for the upcoming assets (it's still WIP and may change later) :

I decided then to try out reworking some of The Venator's corridors using this new workflow based more on a good UV unwrapping (meaning a precise one where each vertex coordinate is wisely used and not just randomly packed) :

using mostly these two textures + a decal/trim for all local details and break the texture tiling :

(the following is an old one I did last year)

About Leveldesign, which is currently just not done (each "level" I did was only to test the assets, and how I could build things with them ;) I know it's just not conventional but initially I just wanted to create environments after my daytime job based on star wars universe, I didn't want to do a demo or a videogame at this time. It allowed me to push art in the direction I loved)

So...I decided to make a fairly simple shader that shows distances in our upcoming levels and will soon be used for starting level design, at last =P

And now we have a new Mevenn (new face, new Phoenix skin) integrated into unreal as our playable character ! New anims are rough for now but all moves are intended to be faster than what we had before, not meaning they'll be simpler ;) We really want to take advantage of Mevenn's ability to manipulate and control her lightsaber by distance, so animations may be more exaggerated on the next iteration =)

A first glimpse at the game now we've added more and more stuff, it's still really WIP on anim/gameplay level but it's also a strong base for all that we want to build up next =) Big thanks to Fantin Gislette (Game Designer) and Thomas Chaumel (Animator), this part is definitely yours ;)

There are some issues with popping objects in this level which may come from the huge forest being made in this map ^^"

That's all folks ! And really sorry again for the lack of stuff this time (probably will be the same next time, but as stated in the project's page on artstation, Redemption's development "work-pace" is meant to be chaotic/irregular, but, well...it's just a fan project ;))

We also have another animator joining the project, Steven Menager (find him here on vimeo : https://vimeo.com/user41159324)
    Also, I'm streaming from time to time about the project only, it a kind of a "live making of"  :

Have a good day all !