Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Star Wars - Redemption ( FanMade Project )

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Vexod14 polycounter

Note : Project's updates won't always be at the top of it, so when an update come, scroll to explore what's new !

"Star Wars - Redemption" is the temporary title I've found for a fan made project inspired mostly by the clone wars TV series and, of course, Star Wars universe. At the beginning it was just about a Jedi in a clone outfit and the more I spend time on it, the more new stuff is added to this base concept. I'll add all things about it here, it's the project's main page. But you may see individual assets on separated projects if you want =)

As it's a fan project I don't spend the time I'd want on it, the evolution will be chaotic in terms of regularity ^^ Sorry in advance !

The project may take place between Ep2 & Ep5 or more, I'm not done yet with the story.

I work on it with Thomas Chaumel who is the animator behind most of the moving characters & objects in Redemption (I do animation as well but…let's say I'm at a smaller level of XP ^^") 

Des Bisous ! ♥

Note : you can follow the project's evolution on artstation : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/gO4Pm

And of course, constructive criticism is always appreciated =)

Disclaimer : https://www.artstation.com/vexod14/blog/GYLq/star-wars-redemption-disclaimer

Replies

• WilliamB_Art
    Offline / Send Message
    WilliamB_Art triangle
    Mate, can't put into words how awesome I think this is!
    As a Star Wars fan, I have to say, that I love what i've seen of the project so far!
    Keep up the awesome work mate, cheers!

• Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
  • dondrapichrust
    Offline / Send Message
    dondrapichrust triangle
    Its looking sweet! Keep up the good work, definetly would like to see more, or maybe play it :)
  • LoganTMT
    Offline / Send Message
    LoganTMT triangle
    you should seriously turn this into a movie dude! That'd be really cool if it did.
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Thanks guys for your really kind words ! 

About a movie it can seems strange but I wanted to do a short film at the very beginning ^^

But to be honest, now things are far more exciting on a real time engine. Things moves smooth, render is beautiful even if it's in real time and you can play with your editor assets like you would play with Lego stuff, I find it personally much more fun this way ;)

• Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter

Hi everyone !

Things are moving forward on our project, I've added a new map called "Lumberia" which is the natal planet of Mevenn, the heroin of the game. Lumberia is under construction as Geonosis and Space map, it's very WIP but at the moment it's my favorite environment, things here are flourish, vivid, and full of colors ! This map was born months ago just as an idea of making an environment with vegetation, a green touch and a needed breath into the project which had only rocks, sand and sci-fi props everywhere. I wanted to make a mix between nature and these assets, and I also wanted to better the Mevenn's story, so here came Lumberia...I may add conceptarts later, I need to finish them and there's a lot to tell about this new place =)

First try with the first trees/grass shaders I made for Lumberia, cool but a bit noisy and damn laggy =/

( Here are few assets I made for Lumberia )

But if trees are cool, flowers adds a nicer touch to the landscape, so I tried to do some, and reworked how the grass worked ( from model to shader )

Yeaaah, almost that ! Now I just need to create a real landscape heightmap. For this task, I reused the Lumberia cliff's heightmap mixed with some variators (a "variator" is a custom noise I made by hand, well it's just a cool grayscale texture ^^"), it was done on substance designer, which has a really nice potential for this I think (with a bit more practice I could do some cool base for my levels). Once this map is imported into unreal I can quickly draw my foliage, it's WIP, but it's really pleasant to play in this animated and peaceful forest...;)

And of course now all things are optimized so you can really make huge plains of grass or ultra-dense forests ;)

I've also added Tesselation on the landscape materials, a feature that really adds to the environment surfaces variation feeling when you walk, for example, on Geonosis's Sand or near Lumberia's RockClifs

Another cool thing is about the skymap, which was a bit ugly when you looked at it under sunscattered fog. I used Normalmap compression setting and used channels Red and Green to define sky/coulds colors and add some movement near the sun area and all "lighted" clouds, so now skies live and their textures looks good ;)

I've aslo reduced the polycount of Mevenn's face which was ridiculously too high compared to the other character's parts

And also I've added more possibilities on her face rig, so now Thomas Chaumel can add creepy feel on her teeth by pushing out Mevenn's canines (and updated a little the joints hierarchy, added controllers and more joints for the tongue)

I've added some new facial expressions, but didn't have played on an expression yet which use these new controllers

I've also done several Tileable materials using mainly 3D-Coat with ZBrush & Substance Designer, I'm still not good at making my base shapes in SubstanceDesigner, especially when it comes to stylized ones, but maybe one day I'll get it ^^" Noises are often stylized and handdrawn ones made on 3D-Coat/Photoshop ( I used them first for my StarWarsRedemption smartmaterial's library, they still looks pretty cool on Designer =) )

-> Venator Wall 01

-> Geonosis Ground 01-> Geonosis Sand 01-> Geonosis SandRocks 01-> Geonosis RockCliff 01-> Lumberia Treebark classic (up) & pine (down)-> Lumberia Forest Ground 01 WIP-> Lumberia Forest Ground 02-> Lumberia Sith Temple Ground 01-> Lumberia Sith Temple Ground 02-> Lumberia RockCliff 01

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Although the art style isn't really my cup of tea but all the same I have to acknowledge your dedication plus that of others have for this fan derived project and it would be unsurprising to think IP connected eyeballs may've popped in for a peek since the work is obviously aesthetically polished. Anyway hope you make it too a playable demo.

Cheers.   

• Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Hi guys ! It's been a while, a lil' update about Mevenn who has a new skin plus a dedicated project post on artstation, here : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Q9gDZ

WIP idle, skin/Rig/Anim made 100% on Akeytsu =)

• Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Hi folks !

Some news from Star Wars - Redemption, I know I know, it's been 3 months...and I apologize for that. I had to do some art tests and was a bit stressed about it. So there's some news, not that much, but I hope you'll keep loving this project, cause yeah, I received a lot of great feedback and encouragement from many of you, which warmed our hearts to us three. I want to join with Fantin and Thomas to say : thank you all for your awesome support, it allows us to keep moving forward ! ♥

SO...what's up ?

I Improved Lumberia with a reworked grass tilemap ( the grass under the grass ), vegetation's shader ( blend with ground surfaces using pixel depth offset instead of using translucent shader - Big thanks to Anthony Daneluzzi for showing me this cool tricks !  ), foliage is now fine tuned to allow painting a huge forest in no time, added VFX emitter that spawn somme flower's petal, little "force glows" in order to get a better mood, tweaked lighting a bit and finally I started to work on sith's temple assets using a method I guess is close to overwatch's one for faking sculpted edges with decals.

So here is a little screenshot of this trick, look at the wall's separation, in its middle : 

In fact, there's only two "boxes", meaning there's no bevel, only a decalmesh with a sculpt trim normal, it only blends with mesh normals which are set to hard edges each time the relief changes, good things with this technique is the amount of time saved on sculpting assets over and over again, no more tedious Uvwrapp, keep model simple, and go back to modeling with smoothgroops ( which is really important to me =P )

So first thing I needed to do was a tileable texture, using my dear 3DCoat it was fairly easy to do so : ( 0% ZBrush or maya or max or Designer here guys ;) )

Then, I worked on a new kind of material that could allow me to paint different surface materials depending on separate vertexcolor channels, here is a first test with a single plane, 4 vertices with one blue, one red, one green, and one with no Red/Green or Blue, in other words : black

I also blend depending on each layered material's heightmap

Here is what I've been up to do with all maps blended ( BaseColor, Composite 1 (Metal/Rough/AO), Composite 2 (Cavity/Emissive/Height), and Normalmap  ) :

Lumberia's Forest as it's now in the game =)

Improved all scene's colorimetry with postprocess which desaturate scene based on ZDpeth pass. Useful for Space maps where there's no "horizon" unlike ground maps

The rig is now really good, I guess it's not 100% perfect but we may call it finished ^^ I updated it with a "Fly" controller for better in-air moves, that was a request from Thomas Chaumel ( our Animator on Redemtpion ) who works now at TeamTo Valence, on several Animated TV series with strong rigs made on Maya, so he told me some suggestion I could implement in Mevenn's rig for bettering his animation workflow. The Fly controller is just a joint between the root and the pelvis which allow the animator to define a new mass center of the mesh, it's really important when you make spins and stunts, and you can offset it on each keyframe as you wish

Facial part has now more expressions stored in Akeytsu, facial rig is 100% ok to Thomas and I so we can make Mevenn live !

Training room WIPs, which is a rework of an old environment I did back in 2013, but optimized this time with better detail's management ( the old one had too many greeble/random stuff on areas we don't want to stick on. It's fixed now ;)

Old version ( 3dsmax+Vray, composited on photoshop, not in realtime =/ )

From this old mesh, I remapped UVs by hand on this texture sheet, made for another environment ( Mevenn's Room, in the works ;) ). The goald was to define clearly colors, and what's metallic or not. I also performed a vertice normals faceweight script so the model looked "highpoly", but in fact it wasn't.

WIP of the new mapped one, realtime on UE4 :

I also Improved shaders functions with a vertex color parametrable emissive, see how "light" on neons decrease progressively when going on top of the room, I think it's a good addition to help level design being easier to read

From there, I simplified all models and baked all PBR maps into Marmoset 3.05 on these new really low-poly assets. After this I simply imported the result into 3DCoat on my lowpoly models and refined all these textures, and as I already had informations about metal/Rough/Colors, all I needed to do was to pick there and paint precisely there, it took me a few minutes to do, here is the new map used ingame :

As model's Vertices normals were carefully oriented to arbitrary planar positions, I can also reuse this atlas on another asset =)

...Once finished with all textures baked and enhanced on new optimized meshes :

Last but not least, the Grass tiles I talked about at the very beginning :

A variant with Clover cover ^^ I use it a lot on trunks/Rocks to generate a kind of lichen/moss, it works really well =)

Not fan about this one, "Alcove", for Geonosis. It doesn't work well as is I think...

Yet some screenshots about others environment to end this new post :)

There's some dying Lucrehulk's control spheres in the sky =D A little VFX I made, it's looks really good except the beam which should come from clone army, at the moment it comes from the emitter's world position =/ It looked like a kind of a reactor trail, not a destruction beam, so I removed it for screenshots ^^" You can still see it on the blend vertex wall I posted above ;)

The little red guys should be an spawnable opponent =) 

Some Bacta heal Kegs on blue areas, I know that level design is ultra basic atm, cause we still work on gameplay/feel, once the character will move as expected we will start having real fun making levels ;)

And then the rest of Venator's interior, it's not "really" the one that may exist, I just take some references, moods, from films, TV serie and other custom projects to build my own version of this interior =)

That's all folks !

Des Bisous ! And MERCI BEAUCOUP again guys for your super support ♥

• Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Gosh, nothing much too add and not that much time to comment, but i really lvoe passing by this post!! Full of skill and passion!!
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Amazing stuff, but why? Not poo poo'ing the incredible work being done in here, but why create something with this much passion love and effort that you can't own? I don't understand.
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Thanks for this guys =)
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Droideka - Full post here with marmoset viewers ;)https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Bm1xrA

New guy added !

An Elite's skin for harder-to-kill ones :

• inkwizithor
    Offline / Send Message
    inkwizithor triangle
    You are doing gods work. This is awesome! Keep it up. I want to see this finished! :)
  • PraxisPixels
    Offline / Send Message
    PraxisPixels polycounter lvl 6
    I love this project! I'm excited to see what you do next.

Also you're foliage and ground cover are beautiful, I'd love to see more details about your process for those.
  • dondrapichrust
    Offline / Send Message
    dondrapichrust triangle
    Mega awesome work man! the style & mood is just perfect, keep it up!
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Also you're foliage and ground cover are beautiful, I'd love to see more details about your process for those.
    which part ? Modeling, Texturing, integration ? Btw this part still needs a lot of work to be more immersive ( player interactivity )
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    That's awesome stuff. I hope you get to finish it.
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    I've been busy  last months, I'm still trying to find a new job which sometimes involves doing an art test (time consuming but lots of learning), and I've been fortunate enough to work with amazing clients such as "I From Japan" (you're in my heart guys ♥), soooooo I had not that much time for Star Wars - Redemption (sorry sorry =X !) 

I've also made a first try for a waterfall

I've created some water effects for Lumberia, I want to add some other features such as underwater sun scattering but don't know how to proceed yet, except by placing manually some meshes with a fake effect, I'm not a huge fan of it as it's not something managed dynamically. But of course if the final level is a small one it would be a good choice  

This is our environment material. Almost finished (need to rework the variator's part, simplify some areas to be able to use this material over more stuff than walls and pillars, it's probably the most difficult part to achieve for me as I feel I'm new to game development tricks, especially about environment art). This one took me a lot of time and iterations as I wanted to have a specific result and didn't knew all the required tricks involved to make it, but things begin to look nicer and nicer and I'm pretty happy with the result I get at each iteration
    Now we can simply blend two surfaces (here a sculpted Sith wall and bricks), add noise "Variators", animated or not, which I'm using intensively when I'm texturing all my assets on 3DCoat, add or not a "SnowSandMoss" layer over the whole mesh depending on Z+ projection, add a distinct color to each of these surfaces...each of the features are controlled by at least vertex color + most of the time a custom mask texture...and plenty of other cool controls =D The goal is to simplify a lot environment asset's creation while keeping an artistic control on top of it =)

I've made some new tiling maps for the upcoming assets (it's still WIP and may change later) :

I decided then to try out reworking some of The Venator's corridors using this new workflow based more on a good UV unwrapping (meaning a precise one where each vertex coordinate is wisely used and not just randomly packed) :

using mostly these two textures + a decal/trim for all local details and break the texture tiling :

(the following is an old one I did last year)

About Leveldesign, which is currently just not done (each "level" I did was only to test the assets, and how I could build things with them ;) I know it's just not conventional but initially I just wanted to create environments after my daytime job based on star wars universe, I didn't want to do a demo or a videogame at this time. It allowed me to push art in the direction I loved)

So...I decided to make a fairly simple shader that shows distances in our upcoming levels and will soon be used for starting level design, at last =P

And now we have a new Mevenn (new face, new Phoenix skin) integrated into unreal as our playable character ! New anims are rough for now but all moves are intended to be faster than what we had before, not meaning they'll be simpler ;) We really want to take advantage of Mevenn's ability to manipulate and control her lightsaber by distance, so animations may be more exaggerated on the next iteration =)

A first glimpse at the game now we've added more and more stuff, it's still really WIP on anim/gameplay level but it's also a strong base for all that we want to build up next =) Big thanks to Fantin Gislette (Game Designer) and Thomas Chaumel (Animator), this part is definitely yours ;)

There are some issues with popping objects in this level which may come from the huge forest being made in this map ^^"

That's all folks ! And really sorry again for the lack of stuff this time (probably will be the same next time, but as stated in the project's page on artstation, Redemption's development "work-pace" is meant to be chaotic/irregular, but, well...it's just a fan project ;))

We also have another animator joining the project, Steven Menager (find him here on vimeo : https://vimeo.com/user41159324)
    Also, I'm streaming from time to time about the project only, it a kind of a "live making of"  :

Have a good day all !
  • Vexod14
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Little level to showcase animations =) (coming soon ^^)

• Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Hi guys ! Some new stuff in Redemption's anim takes  done mostly by Thomas Chaumel, I did only a few of these animations, mostly the new Idle with a focus on facial expressions (still WIP)

Whole new animset done on Droideka, here are some of these :

Retract

Roll

Deploy

Turn Right

Stun Attack

Our main character (Mevenn) had some upgrades ^^ Here is a first try on a new weapon, we wanted to have something cooler and we're damn fans of Darth Maul...soooooooooo(cisse) :

As well as her face :

(this "new" face wasn't exactly what I wanted on some parts, especially about her chin area (if you know the Bogdanov brothers...). So I had to fix it, but the main fix was to adjust her nose, remove lower eyelashes, adjust her texture work on her face (more stylized and assumed details), adapt her warpaints to a more "magical/nature-connected" look as she was born on a forest planet (Lumberia ). Her whole new armor set was about this as well as themed with "Phoenix" creature patterns and colors.

I've also increased the texture quality we had in Akeytsu :

(that's her final face btw )

Some cutted geometry on haircuts, so now materials are simpler in UE4, no more transparency, better perfs 

I also tried some R&D to allow twist & roll joints, obviously not fully reverse-controlled automatically as Akeytsu doesn't provide such constrains yet, but it worked pretty well and you could create exactly your bends/arcs as you want, plus it's appart from your IK chain, meaning you could use squash'n strech with a red IK ON ^^

Here is the hierarchy, twist/roll joints are offset from their IK parent joints so you can figure out who controls who :

The only hassle we encountered then was about selecting our base IK joints ; as they were no longer weighted to any vertices we were forced to search them in the picker list, or reorganize them under your IK handles so you could "quickly" access them using up arrow key...just a pain tbh ^^"

I fixed this cool idea by simply avoiding the middle joint (or the first twist) of each chain and using only one MidArm/MidUpperArm joint, and swkinned half of each arm's part to each joints. But there's one little trick which allows for a quick & good control : while you will find logic to skin your "wrist-to-MidLowerArm vertices" to your "LowerArm-RollJoint" and vertices from this middle to the elbow to your LowerArm joint, the upperarm works differently. Skin vertices "near elbow" to your Arm joint (instead of the Arm-Roll =)), and vertices from shoulder to mid-arm to your Arm-Roll joint. This will avoid breaking your arc on your elbow, allow for a faster "FK joints" selection which is cool for posing (these Arm+lowerarm joints will be clickable on elbow area =D), and finally allows you to adjust your shoulder shape with ease so you'll have perfect control over it =)

This improved hierarchy looks like this :

https://youtu.be/BanwKxjaD5U

As I reworked the leg & arm rig, I also wanted to improve the facial one. There was some issues on animating the previous iteration, especially on Mevenn's jaw cause I decided to parent every mouth joints to a single mouth controller, which was cool and stupid at the same time ^^" So once improved, I can achieve all these movements with a few clics : 

https://youtu.be/7N9aO_pdv5I

More details about this facial rig : 

https://youtu.be/4Ca9aY9QY_4

And here are some beauty shots done in a dedicated level in UE4 (really done just for rendering purpose, nothing else )

https://youtu.be/Kqs1pC1NmL0

https://youtu.be/nR41-96PZgY

And last but not least : I wanted to make an homage to the guys who made this project possible ♥

It is also important to notice that the project "StarWars-Redemption" is obviously not affiliated with Nukeygara in any way, there was just an awesome team making an awesome software at the same time I wanted to simply pose some of my characters, then I animated them, created some environments on unreal, called for friends to help me on dev and on animation and that's it =) 
    Akeytsu even brought back Thomas Chaumel the taste of animation (animator on the project and one of my best/oldest friend). It also gave him the will to work definitely in the industry. Now he is a reliable member of TeamTo Valence (FR) and enjoys his new life as an animator. His ID "Akeyblack" on discord is someway an Easter-egg to this beautiful story 

So, many thanks to Aurélien  Charrier, Cédric Vidal-Duvernet, Yannick Rousseau, Charles Sultan, Robin Ciron, Thomas Robin,  Charles-Arthur Bourget, Annabel Grindatto, and every others who worked on this wonderful software ♥ You truly are the Best !
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Some new renders/assets I did for the project =)

+ a quick tutorial I did on Akeytsu/3DCoat to get 100% accurate skinning over tons of overlaped assets : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcgTiWwmc5s&feature=youtu.be pretty similar to what skinwrap modifier does in 3dsmax, but much simpler, and in Akeytsu (so way less crashes (if not "no more"),no lag, intuitive UI/UX..etc)
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    WIP WIP WIP =D

• Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Amazing work!!
    About Mevenn, i jsut think her default idle anim with the lightsaber out should insist on the fact she control them at distance, sometimes feels like a animation bug, really contrasts with the combat animations that are trully amazing!
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    @Olingova
    You're right, and I want to rework this idle also to have appealing facial expressions (that's why I've let her helmet in main menu ^^"). Maybe adding some hilt-throw, force tricks with sabers could help more selling it. I need to try more stuff =)
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    An update about the current state of the project

I've been heavily focusing on it last weeks (curious thing as I've also a (super-cool) job during the day, I should rest more, but instead of it I work like a machine ^^").

So here is a summary : 
    - Now we have a build. Yeah. Game is finally standalone, playable on a (good enough) windows PC. That's something we should've had a long time ago but anyway, now it's there. And it's cool
    - Since our only game designer left the project months ago we've faced a problem : we had to do blueprint. And as an artist, it's always a pain to dig into this for many reasons. But hey ! Look at the cool part of the solution : you're going to learn it ! And it becomes more and more fun to use finally ;)
    So now, I also take care of blueprints
    - I've started working on Lumberia last year, because I had enough of desert environments of both Geonosis and Space corridors, and I've started to create modular environment assets to build a dungeon. You've seen some of these on the past updates when I was trying to create my master env. shader, now everything works I can show a bit more of it. Every environment benefits of it, and it speeds up a lot the way I worked them. But I'm not 100% satisfied with what I get, since I think it involves still too much repetitive task and could be more optimized. Next project should start from it and improve it.
    - I've also decided to stop developing the project, not due to any strike (don't worry), but simply because I've figured out that I've mostly developed it alone, and I can't keep doing this. It's above my will now, I need to do something else than working again when I'm "off-work", and focus and shorter project. That's why, in next December's end, Redemption's updates will heavily decrease and hopefully reach 0 faster than light. I think this project could've been far far away than what we have now, and of course I'll be forever sad about it, but time has come to leave it behind and explore new horizons. Next project won't be about Star Wars by the way.

That said, there's still one big month to add more stuff =P

So let's go for the screenshots and enjoy ;)

Des Bisous ♥
  • JohannesAg
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    super cool and inspiring project man, I´ll be sad not to see updates from it anymore. Will it be available for playing somewhere even if you don´t finish? I´d really love to try it out. Love everything about this project of yours and can´t wait to see what you do next!
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Thanks for your gladly support @JohannesAg
    I don't mind sharing it over the web since I do not want to receive a strike letter. 
    Next project won't be that huge I think : I'll be alone (for real this time), I aim making character mostly art, rig and animation (partly to promote Akeytsu as much as I can ;)), and I no longer wants to overwork afterwork. I definitely want to do something else, different from computer again and again.

Let me give you a good -yet curious- example of how I've been too focused on work. I bought a Harp like 3 years ago and I played it less than once per week. While I still love this instrument (it's magical ♥), I didn't find enough time to play it more since I was almost constantly working on Redemption. This has to stop, simply =)
  • Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Hey there! Lot of people will be sad to see the amount of updates decrease but on another hand it's indeed a healthy decision; a good life work balance is really important... Everything you achieved so far is still really impressive and i would also love to get my hand on it!! Look forward to this month's update and good luck on the harp :p
  • Vexod14
  • Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    That second anim <3 nice feeling! A little VFX on the landing and you got it!
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Indeed ;) Maybe i'll try to add some VFX next week-end =)
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    https://www.artstation.com/vexod14/blog/jv7N/star-wars-redemption-work-in-progress-16 Little update (with a cool surprise on this post, If you like the project, be sure to check it out ;))
  • EvilSylvanas
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilSylvanas polycounter lvl 3
    Damn this looks so good, it's just incredible. Glad to see that you keep updating and working on this project. Keep it up !
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Little update =) While working on this shot, Thomas Chaumel asked me if it was possible to extend the actual facial rig of Mevenn in order to facilitate the flow of making an expression (basically : reduce clics) and so we ended up with a much easier facerig to play with inside of akeytsu. That's also where Maewenn's rig was finalized and I've also added the same controls on her (you can grab her on my store, her rig is a bit more complex than Mevenn's one but really close : https://www.artstation.com/vexod14/store)

So, here is what Thomas did mostly using akeytsu (for character animation part) and maya (for the camera movement), then I used Marmoset Toolbag 3.03 to render this out and AfterFX to adjust a few things =)  Render is made in 4K so don't hesitate to play this in your huge resolution, if you have some ;))

https://youtu.be/IX3CnJAnh_M
  • Vexod14
  • Logan_TMT
    I still think this needs to be made into a movie to go with the clone wars dude it's so good!
  • Vexod14
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Logan_TMT said:
    I still think this needs to be made into a movie to go with the clone wars dude it's so good!
    This should be feasible since the upcoming version of Akeytsu will be tailored for cinematics ;) 
  • Vexod14
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Testing something new with Venators & Toolbag 4

Using subsurface on this big destroyers helped me adding some fake bevels on all hard edges of the mesh =)

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    I think the Oxford Dictionary, has you referenced too define the term for *Dedication* :)

5 years, and still pumping out off-the-chain work!

"The Force is strong with this one"
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Thanks a bunch for this motivating comment ^^

I just saw I forgot to post Lumberia mountains, handpainted stuff on 3DCoat as usual =)

(Base color only here, I use normalmaps and a simplified PBR setup for in-game assets)

• Vexod14
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    And a cute one before going to bed ('cuz even a Sith can say "good night" :3)
    https://youtu.be/3Zm_h-x4SZo
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    It's a big time. Here's a first glimpse on what we've done with my friend and fellow animator mate Thomas Chaumel (aka Akeyblack) on our dear fan game project. Yep. We're stepping up on animation with both Akeytsu Marmoset Toolbag 4 to make cinematic shots and you know what ? it's a real pleasure to use this combo !

I'll post more shots in the upcoming weeks but we're still creating new ones, just the two of us, so that's why it can take some time between two shots ;)

https://youtu.be/s05sHqjrLYY
  • Forest_Cat
    Offline / Send Message
    Forest_Cat polycounter lvl 6
    Looks amazing! It is definitely worth thinking about creating something similar to Astartes
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Hello @Forest_Cat First of all a big thanks for your kind words !

Then, I'm not sure to see what you means with "Astartes", I've searched a bit and found something cool about warhammer 40K (despite I don't know much about this universe I guess that's what you meant).

For now we focus on making a trailer because that's something we can handle from start to finish (today more than ever the game needs more programming efforts), so we're only two guys crafting this and I don't know how long we will keep the strenght to thrive on this quite "new" project, yet it's a really amazing experience and we take a lot of pleasure making it =)
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Let's dive a bit more into space...Shots animated with akeytsu and rendered with Marmoset Toolbag (first part) & UE4 (last part) And yep it was fun to dislocate this ARC-170. More to come !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UVQ8UqMZho