Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Star Wars - Redemption ( FanMade Project )

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Vexod14 polycounter

Note : Project's updates won't always be at the top of it, so when an update come, scroll to explore what's new !

"Star Wars - Redemption" is the temporary title I've found for a fan made project inspired mostly by the clone wars TV series and, of course, Star Wars universe. At the beginning it was just about a Jedi in a clone outfit and the more I spend time on it, the more new stuff is added to this base concept. I'll add all things about it here, it's the project's main page. But you may see individual assets on separated projects if you want =)

As it's a fan project I don't spend the time I'd want on it, the evolution will be chaotic in terms of regularity ^^ Sorry in advance !

The project may take place between Ep2 & Ep5 or more, I'm not done yet with the story.

I work on it with Thomas Chaumel who is the animator behind most of the moving characters & objects in Redemption (I do animation as well but…let's say I'm at a smaller level of XP ^^") 

Des Bisous ! ♥

Note : you can follow the project's evolution on artstation : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/gO4Pm

And of course, constructive criticism is always appreciated =)

Disclaimer : https://www.artstation.com/vexod14/blog/GYLq/star-wars-redemption-disclaimer

Replies

• Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    model

model

Some clones now ^^ No animation for now but their rig/skin were done for posing, still in akeytsu :

Then I've done an early conceptart of Mevenn's Nemesis, if I want to stay logic he can't be a sith as long as we can only have two of them in the clone wars era, but...well okay, the only poor reason I can give is I found it cool ^^ A bounty hunter may do the job too :)

model
    That's all for now =)
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Last animation Idle I made : 
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Guy's doing a Star Wars game by himself...

That's great.
  • Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    I am really impressed how much you got done and I really like how all of it feels :)

I know that the series is very cartoony, so probably the walk cycle fits into its style, but to me it looks a little bit too much. I would slightly reduce the 'swing' in it, keeping the light feel of it, but getting a tiny bit more calmer to look at.
  • RustySpannerz
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    Wow, really nice looking work!
  • Bostvic
    Offline / Send Message
    Bostvic polycounter lvl 5
    Wow great job! It's clear how much you've improved when you look at the old Jedi model!
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Thanks all of you for your support =)

For the walk cycle as you and others suggested it to me, I'll try to calm the "swing effect" next time I'll jump into Akeytsu, I guess I'll see more animation's mistakes once I get Mevenn playable into Unreal ( I'm focussing on it, learning how to make a third person controlled character seems a little difficult ^^" )
  • Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    So you are doing the whole project on your own? Even the programming part? You are crazy - in a wonderful way :D
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Yep =) But I'm optimist as I remember that two month before I didn't know how to use Akeytsu and how to do some animloops, learning new stuff is always possible =D
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Hi guys ! I've been working almost all days durings the holidays and I'm having fun doing environment stuff, the most exciting thing I found in the field of 3D industry =D ( the spacecraft is an old one which, well, can't fly cause it's not aerodynamic, but it's a good placeholder ^^" )

I'm also working hard on blueprint learning how to use it for making a plyable character with a super friend and teacher, Fantin Gislette, and for now, Meven can move, jump, use her jetpack ( without VFX and sounds but they'll come ^^ ) and grab her saber/gun =D It's sooooo fuuuuun !

Btw I'm still not really thinking about the leveldesign but the atmosphere and the place I want to move on ^^" I only have some sci-fi crates there and away to jump on and that's it ( but I want to slash droids...and move objects with the force and so much more ! )

So here are some screenshots guys, hope you'll find some interesting here and if you have any suggestion for some stuff to add on the ground/wall/anywhere I'll take care of it ( I have an "ideabox" where I write all the cool things I found anytime, so yours will be welcome =D )

Des bisous !

And here are the two concept I made to figure out what assets I may need in order to build the rooms, I'm not done with all yet but it's on its way =)
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    model

PlaceHolder Replaced ;)
    2K PBR Maps done with 3dsMax/3DCoat

• Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    New concept variations of her jedi outfit :smile:
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    AcklayBot - Kind of a Boss guy =)
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Hi all ! I forget to tell you about a new guy coming into the project ! B1 Battle Droids are ready to be smashed =D Well...not yet as long as I still didn't have animated them but I'm close to it =D

• CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyMoon polycounter lvl 3
    The sheer amount of dedication on this is awesome man!! Well done!!!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I am really turned on by this thread.

What principles are you sticking by in terms of the wear and tear of the textures on a lot of the characters, props, and vehicles?
  • SittingDucky
    Offline / Send Message
    SittingDucky polycounter lvl 10
    fantastic!! finally a new fun sw game being announ...oooh 
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    I am really turned on by this thread.

What principles are you sticking by in terms of the wear and tear of the textures on a lot of the characters, props, and vehicles?
    I may detail the process one day, but to stay simple, after I did most of the clean look of the object's materials/paints/etc, I fill with Black/100%Roughness/0%Metalness a layer in top of all layers ( except Emissive/Cavity/Curvature/AO/NormalMap ), and I erase by hand all surfaces depending on what "dirty degree" I want to keep on them. I do many messy strokes, as if I were cleaning a prop in real life. I think that this painful task really bring the materials feeling to another level. I made a smartmaterial that almost do this recently, using the new 3D-Coat curvature ( 4.7.24+ ) which gives a better range for your smartmaterial's layers degree functions. But, this smartmaterial still needs some improvements in order to be used on detailed assets such as characters, close viewable props, ...etc.

Btw, thanks all of you for your interest ^^
  • ABinhoF
    Offline / Send Message
    ABinhoF polycounter lvl 5
    Friggin amazing!! Keep up the good work!
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Nemesis ( v2 ) 

Nemesis of Mevenn, reworked and ( I guess ) the version I'll make in 3D later 

For his little gameplay-story, the guy should be able to use something like the Force but only on metal objects ^^

Des Bisous !

• Vexod14
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Looks great. I hope you get to finish it.
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    I hope so =) Thanks for your support Sage =)
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Little painting practice of the main character

• Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Just had to drop in here and say this is awesome! :smiley: 

Your passion for this is really showing in the work! Keep it up! 
  • jewski-bot
    Offline / Send Message
    jewski-bot polycounter lvl 4
    This is really awesome work.  I'm glad that this is still progressing!
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    ( I thank everyone for your support, even if I don't write an answer, I love you guys ! )

So here's a new one I loved from the first time I saw it : the ARC-170 Starfighter, still made in a handpaint/PBR workflow - Made With 3dsMax/MightyBake/3DCoat/Akeytsu, a tiny model friends offered to me for my birthday ( Thanks goes to Aurélien Baarsch, Julie Pain & Alexis Meunier ! ), and still the very helpfull Vehicles CrossSection's Book =)

Hope you'll love this new one guys ! Feel free to check the project's page here, I've added few things earlier this week, + 360 pano views of the actual game level =) ( still WIP ^^ Btw for now it's mostly a sandbox for devs ^^ )

model

Again guys, thanks for your love & support =)
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Mevenn's room ( where you could change your outfits/weapons, choose your next mission and have a rest ^^ )
  • macoll
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    Your concepts are awesome to me ;)  I will follow your work, so nice !
  • Borgleader
    Offline / Send Message
    Borgleader polycounter lvl 6
    Oh I like this concept a lot!
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Hi guys ! Thomas Chaumel and I worked on the animation part of the project ( to be honest, mostly him ^^" ),  and here is what we got at the moment : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIfzkdJGkr4

Every rig, skin, anim of StarWars-Redemption, was made with Akeytsu. It's a new animation software which is just gorgeously simplifying the rigging/skinning & animation processes for almost all kind of projects ( I guess Huge companies won't need it since they may have a super strong pipeline, but for smaller teams it's a must have ! Especially if you love making anims and nothing else ;)

Please note this is still really really WIP, the "Game Design" part is not really here since is only a matter of how the character moves ingame. That's all I wanted at the beginning of the game part of the project ; having my character movable on environments i'd do... ( but, well why should we have stopped here ^^" )
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    New stuff ! Just a new outfit, I messed up with blade colors, ingame you'll keep her green one ( for now, don't know if I'll change this later ^^ )

As I said on sketchfab I have to deal with cloth issues on ue4, I'm new to this so I'm sure I've made many mistakes ^^ Anyway, for now you can check what I aim to do at the end ^^

All textured on 3DCoat with StarWars-Redemption's smartmaterials, posing done with Akeytsu as always =)

• Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter

Hi guys !

This is a new asset I made for Star Wars - Redemption =) I used 3dsmax for High/Low poly, MightyBake for the normalmap bake and 3DCoat for texturing. 2K PBR maps. The model is “scorchable”, which means you’ve got some damn cool motors’n pipes under the hood ;)

As it’s Mevenn’s bike and globaly Republic’s side bike ( not empire ), I’ve added some new things to it to make it more suitable with other prelogy asset’s logic, and of course the usual art direction’s treatment ^^

Hope you’ll like it !

• Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Another set of animations done ( still by Thomas Chaumel ) :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yIUSjFuIZk
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Hi all !

So I finished up the rework of my old Venator, with new kitbash pieces but also new textures ( more details, smarter UV pack, better colours and some modeling improvements > mostly remove of useless polys ^^" )

Here you've got an overview of how the new detail modify the model deeply ( WIP textures but the mesh is the final one )

Ingame model, the new hangar space allowed also to enlarge the existing one ( we can now add another personal spaceship ;) )

Dorsal's Hangar also got revamped, I didn't had build the interior level of the long central row of hangars behind the door ( the one you can't see here =P ), but I may do them all when I have time to waste x)

And finaly all warpaints I've done, the base one is used to do every other I may made later of course, but can also be used to make space battles between the whole new empire just before imperial well known battlecruisers ( remember the last shot with Venators on Ep3 ;) )

501st Warpaints, the one I used from the beginning =)

414th, I used the same color sheme as Mevenn's Eta2-Actis, it's a first try, but I really like to have a different warpaint that supports this new clone army as Mevenn is NOT aimed to fight among Obi-wan/Anakin's army, I mean she has her own army ^^ Also in the TV Show the dev team has that idea on separatist ships to better identify each leaders, I think it's also a good thing to do on the republic's side =)

The Mevenn's lead Destroyer is known as "The Phoenix" cause of multiple resurrections after hard won battles, the warpaints should also show that still burning fire her army gets on battlefield even on desperate situations. I may enhance these warpaints one day, I'm not really satisfied for now but at the same time I think we got a good base to work with, and that's a good point =)

• DeathstrokeFTW
  • FreakoutGames
    It's looking really cool!
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Hi everyone !

I'm done with a new Stardestroyer from CIS side =) It's the biggest asset I've ever done, not the most difficult one to be honest but...a really big one ^^"

Here are some renders made on marmoset/unreal =)

• Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Hi guys !

I'm working now on some concepts/studies about Geonosis Environment, getting to know how it's built, how this biome works, for next bunch of assets I'll make for the game =)

And I polished some concepts about Aelya ;) I still have some ideas I want to work on but I think her design is almost done =) Feel free to tell me what you like or not, what you'de love to add or any input & idea you may have ! =)

• gersyb97
     Hey, this is probably the best Star Wars project out there on the moment! and it is not even official! it is really cool! hope you get to finish this before someone from lucasfilm contacts you to shut it down or something. the models and animations are looking sick! I understant you want to make this into a full fletched story? how is that coming allong? what is your 3 acts structure(are you even using a 3 acts structure), if you need some help with making a complete script or something, if you dont already have that, i would love to help you out(in the best way that i can, it's your project ofc, and if you are want people to help with story), i'm actually studying a course about game development in the netherlands. anyway, good luck! keep up the good work. hope i get to play this someday
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Hi gersyb97 ! For now I still want to keep our team that small, we are working on a fan game, but to have a realistic objective we focus first on a demo ( where story will be simple, even If yep, I already have an idea of the full story but it's not the funniest part of the project right now and I rather focusing on modeling/texturing/vfx at the moment, maybe I'll work on it later. Btw, this idea evolves each time I add new stuff on the project such as Aelya who is Mevenn's apprentice )
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Hi everyone ! I've been up to several tweaks and new stuff for our beloved Geonosis Environment !

So here is a "spire" asset used to mostly characterize the mood and the particularly primitive but organized architecture of the planet !

I used a base cylinder in ZBrush then added a circle of window I sculpted before, and used them as insert meshes for faster positioning. All these windows are also useful for detailing the environment separately to the spire so I decided to make them as separated models as well

Then to use simple objects to make a cool ground and environment around you while being still stylized I made these two rocks ( still using ZBrush + 3DCoat ^^ )

I'm not a huge fan of the following one, it looks too clean regarding its shape, the more we grind the more planar rock area should be small, to keep the planet's logic which is partially inspired by the monument valley I think.

In-game Geonosis Spire

And what I made in a few clics, just for fun it's not a definitive level. I wanted to see what's possible with the assets I made, if the direction I took was a worthy one =) I also tried to make an hologram shader, it's a fairly basic one at the moment but it do the job well ^^

I reworked the Venator's hangar in order to clean walls and detail the ceiling smarter, the forcefield was also a big issue as it doesn't have a big blue glowing piece around it, and it make it easier to find when you're in space approaching a stardestroyer now. 

Nebuleas =) A difficult thing to understand at the beginning, not as much detailed as I wanted ( see the second image over coruscant to have an idea of how low it looked before ^^" ). Now they are far better, issue was not only about the texture's detail but also the shader itself, I reworked it a little and added a map slots where you can add stars, here they are bigger to enhance the space deepness but you can put what you want ^^

And here is what the space looked like before new nebulaes, I should take a better screenshot for the next update ^^" Btw the planet won't be Coruscant but Geonosis ;)

It's mostly WIP stuff but I wanted to share this, I hope you'll like this and if you have any suggestion/CC/idea, feel free to tell me =)
  • Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Wow the amount of work is incredible :D That's really great!! Are you working alone on it? Do you plan to do more environments than geonosis? Look forward to see more!
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Nope ^^ I'm not alone, Fantin Gislette is here for Game Design/Prototyping and Thomas Chaumel work on all animations, I just handle the rest =)

And yes I plan to do more than just Geonosis areas ( the Arena itself is really appealing to me ^^ but I love any other environments from the prelogy and the old republic, plus I've got some ideas of new planetary landscapes ;) for now I concentrate my efforts on Geonosis stuff and CIS ship interiors )
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    This is awesome, looks lke a mix between wildstar and the old republic, love it!
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Hi ! It's been a while since I've not posted a thing about the project, sorry about that ^^"

I had to take back a good pace between my new job and offwork stuff. I still work on Geonosis btw but nothing is really good enough to be shown ( even as WIP =X )

So here is a rework of the face's rig of Mevenn, as we can't handle all expressions due to bad topology on either her eyes / mouth ( not perfect loop/ring ). I had some problems with her face look ( bad anatomy ), so I reworked this part first on ZBrush, and get a new one with good loops, opened mouth and better face anatomy. Then I started to try out an enhanced rig definition ( basically : more joints ! ) after looking what others do ( leading reference was on overwatch's mei facial rig ). On the left is the old one, on right is the new face + first "new" rig test ( I may rework the polycount of course ^^ )

I remade her textures too, still WIP ( too noisy I think, I may keep that noise on roughness layer only and smooth a lot the basecolor map )

Comparison between old ( left ) and new face ( center & right ). With its new & finished rig =D Closing/opening her mouth now just works perfectly ;)

Here are some facial expressions I tried quickly ( like 2 mins for each, just to test some limits and fix bad skinned parts

And the best for the end guys, here are some screenshots of where we are now on the space part ( still WIP about lighting mostly )

=) Enjoy !

• EmielBoven
    Offline / Send Message
    EmielBoven polycounter lvl 2
    Man, everytime you post something in this thread I am amazed by the amount of work you guys manage to do! Keep it up!
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Thanks ^^

Just to clear out some possible mistakes ; I handle all the graphical part of this project, except animations. Meaning : levelbuilding/levelart, rigging/skinning, conceptarts, modeling, sculpts, texturing, shaders ( ue4 ), smartmaterials ( 3DCoat ), vfx, UI assets, Art direction, lighting, and at the moment the technical art too ( but honestly ther's  nothing hard there for now ^^" ), and sounds even if there's nothing still at the moment there ( some ambient samples and OST templates )

That said, all Game design/Blueprint/Prototyping of every behaviours and interactions possible in the game, UI mechanics + all animations are huge parts I can't do without my mates Fantin Gislette & Thomas Chaumel. They never post here, but they do a damn fantastic and vital part of the project !
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Hi everyone ! I've done some stuff since last post =)

First of all, the splash screen is now 99,99% made on marmoset, meaning that this...

...Can easily be shot these ways :

And yep I've found a nice trick to do the Jetpack VFX, on marmoset it's quite simple, a model ( looks like a drop of water ) deformed by a heightmap ( a noise + gradient so it's progressive ). On unreal the technique is the same but I added a panner to the noise so the smoke/fire can move, I may add some heatdistorsion on a bigger shape and sparks to have a better effect, but I'm quite happy with the level of stylization I get =)

Some Facial expressions I made with Thomas Chaumel, this will help a lot when polishing animations ^^  

Another cool thing that Fantin Gislette added is the possibility to pilot the ARC-170, and it's soooooooooo fun to fly with it =')

Geonosis environment is on its way =) I made some rock formations, then separated them into smaller blocks in order to build anything ( okay guys "almost" anything ^^ ). The material adds sand on the top, it's fairly simple at the moment but I may upgrade it when I'll have to work on snowy environments =)

Some additional concepts, more focused on Geonosian Arch and dynamic shapes :

Concepts of a new enemy, a flying one ( imagine a head of a vulture droid in terms of scale, add a gun and a personal reactor, that's it =)