Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017

Riot Creative Contest 2017 - QA

admin
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
cheeseplus admin
Hello! If you are participating in the Riot Creative Contest and have some questions in regards to the contest, please ask them here.

As a reminder, the important dates for this contest are:
  • Contest starts November 6th, 2017
  • The deadline for entries is January 31st, 2018 @ 23:59 PST (GMT -7)
  • Winners will be announced March 1st, 2018

Replies

• yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    yararstss polycounter lvl 6
    (III) ARE NOT RESIDENTS OF CUBA, IRAN, NORTH KOREA, IRAQ, SUDAN, SYRIA,
    GREECE, ITALY, BRAZIL, OR QUEBEC; 

Hey, what about this rule? Why this people who lives in this countries can not be a participat?
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    yeah i'm confused by this line as well...what's wrong with Italy? :disappointed:
  • Yooleeoosh
    Hello,

I have a question regarding the VFX Guidelines. We have to make two effects on two spheres, but should the second part - the status effect - be a response to the first attack and explosion, or are they two seperate parts of submission, which just play one after another?

Thanks for this contest, can't wait to begin :)

Good question. The effect plays as one. Sphere "A" casts the effect, it travels and hits sphere "B", causing a status effect of your choosing on sphere "B". Let me know if that answers your question! -Nate
    Yes, it answers it nicely, thanks! Maybe you could add it to the guidelines somehow, because in describing the first sphere you use a word explosion and in second - shield or buff and those two things seem to not work well together :) Thanks again!

Thank you! I reworded the guide to be less confusing hopefully! :) -Nate
  • cami2k
    Offline / Send Message
    cami2k null
    Hello, is a worldwide contest?, thanks
  • Cryobeat
    Offline / Send Message
    Cryobeat null
    Hi. Concerning the narrative competition focusing on a single champion, I would imagine it is alright for other champions to appear as well? Say, for example, in a Thresh narrative, Lucian may appear, fight, etc. 

Additionally:
    -Do they have to be in their classic skin/lore, or can you base the story on skins as well, like PROJECT Yasuo or Darkstar Thresh?
    -Can we reference old lore (Such as The Crystal Scar if we did a Skarner narrative), or will new lore simply overwrite the old? In Skarner's new lore it simply says he is from a hidden valley in Shurima.
    -If a champion's lore is changed before the deadline, will our story still be eligible?
    -Is there any percentage leeway on the 1000 words limitation? Perhaps up to 1050 or so, or would anything above 1000 not be considered?
    -Is there a limit on vocabulary or vulgar language, or can I write curses and gore as the champion sees fit?
    -Should we write in American English or British English? Will we be judged negatively for British spellings of words?
    EDIT: Also, does the champion have to be the protagonist in the story? If I wrote from the POV of a Demacian/Noxus soldier and Aatrox appeared to turn the tide of battle like in his lore, would that be alright?

I realise this is a lot of questions, but I want to heavily invest into this competition and would like to do so with no stray concerns holding me back. Haven't been this excited in a while!

Thanks! 
  • matheusoliveira
    Offline / Send Message
    matheusoliveira interpolator
    Hey, a friend warned me here ... I live in Brazil, I can't participate? I'm sad to know this  :'(
    I already gave entry to the Environment category, I would very much like to continue in the contest.
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    yararstss said:

Hey, what about this rule? Why this people who lived in this countries can not be a participat?
    I cannot say for other country, but in quebec it's usually when a contest is about money we cannot participate because it has to be autorized by loto-québec or some crap like this :(
  • cheeseplus
    Offline / Send Message
    cheeseplus admin
    Yes, the official rules are linked in the Announce and you can grab the PDF here
    cami2k said:

• yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    yararstss polycounter lvl 6
    Odow said:
    yararstss said:

Hey, what about this rule? Why this people who lived in this countries can not be a participat?
    I cannot say for other country, but in quebec it's usually when a contest is about money we cannot participate because it has to be autorized by loto-québec or some crap like this :(
    Man, it's so hard to living in a third World country. In fact, probably the Brazil's impost system should make something difficult. I want to know if even being from Brazil I can at least post in the forum and be involved with the production of other artists.
  • THendersonVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    THendersonVFX polycounter lvl 6
    There is a "Realistic" and "Stylized" category for vfx. What determines if your effect is counted (or disqualified from) stylized/realistic? I'm assuming you can do an entry for both sub categories, but how can I determine if both styles are different enough to be separate?

Hey man! Don't worry too much if your entry is somewhere in between "stylized" and "realistic". Use your best judgement. We want a gradation of styles so we will not count it against you if your entry is in between. Also note the "realistic" category description: "should feel slightly more based in reality while still maintaining unique and fantastic elements that make it feel stylized.". -Nate
  • Bodio
    Offline / Send Message
    Bodio polycounter lvl 3
  • biotron
    Offline / Send Message
    biotron polycounter lvl 7
    So, how do I start a thread in the Character Art category? When I'm in the subforum, there doesn't seem to be an option to start a thread.
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Yes, the official rules are linked in the Announce and you can grab the PDF here
    cami2k said:

what i don't get is that in 2014 it was the same rule, but third place for character went to a resident of quebec. How so ?
  • Egyptian Penguin
    Offline / Send Message
    Egyptian Penguin polycounter lvl 4
    For the animation contest, do we have to use a pre-existing champion concept or do we do an entirely new character?

I know we can use pre-established rigs as well, just want to be sure if I would have to say "This character is Ezreal" or "This is a new character entirely."
  • Bunnirobotcat
    Offline / Send Message
    Bunnirobotcat polycounter lvl 6
    Can I do a fanart model of Zoe? (Since she isn't released yet)
  • Technoir06
    Offline / Send Message
    Technoir06 polycounter lvl 2
    Hi Guys!

I am very happy to participate, but I do not know how to create my thread, it is possible that someone can help me.
    Thank you very much!
  • ChristianOrellana
    Hello, I have a question regarding the animation Guidelines. Recently I came into contact with another artist and asked if I may Rig and animate his model. He agreed, and I am currently working on rigging this model. 
    My question is, May I use this rig for the Animations? Seeing as it is a public contest, I don't know if it would be considered Commercial use. 
    I also have a question regarding effects for the animations. Shall we not include any at all, or keep it to a minimum? 
    May we use things like transparent polygons/surfaces to insinuate an effect like swirling or shockwaves?

Thank you very much, I look forward to this contest!!
  • arkhamguardian
    Offline / Send Message
    arkhamguardian triangle
    hey can i make my own skin for a champion while keeping the original characteristics of the champion ? plz help me out :worried:
  • LunLun
    Offline / Send Message
    LunLun polycounter lvl 3
    For the contest, are pen-names, pseudonyms, etc, allowed, or will our full legal name be used everywhere?  I get needing to give it to specific parties, even just for shipping, but in terms of publicity and announcements (so-and-so won, so-and-so entered), would an artist name (not legal name) be fine?
  • Arcane_raccoon
    I've missed the live link to WIP blog thread on Nov 1. Can I still participate? Or get this link somehow ?
  • Technoir06
    Offline / Send Message
    Technoir06 polycounter lvl 2
    Hi guys, I'm very confused, I'm inside the Character Art page and I have no option to create my thread, someone can help me, I would greatly appreciate :(

• Bouiss
    Offline / Send Message
    Bouiss null
    Hello, I have a question about the environment category. It is specified that we have to choose between a Turret or Inhibitor but in the composite shots can I put both, or not it is formally one or the other ?

it would make me sad to leave an empty space ;)

Thx
  • _adamturnbull
    For the animation contest, do we have to use a pre-existing champion concept or do we do an entirely new character?

I know we can use pre-established rigs as well, just want to be sure if I would have to say "This character is Ezreal" or "This is a new character entirely."

Hey, for the animation contest it does not have to be based on a pre-existing champion but shouldn't be too far from something that could be in League of Legends so keep this in mind when animating. Its mostly about the creativity and quality of the animation.
  • biotron
    Offline / Send Message
    biotron polycounter lvl 7
    @Technoir06 Yes, I'm having the same issue. Not sure how to start my own. Can someone give us a pointer here? 
  • _adamturnbull
    Hello, I have a question regarding the animation Guidelines. Recently I came into contact with another artist and asked if I may Rig and animate his model. He agreed, and I am currently working on rigging this model. 
    My question is, May I use this rig for the Animations? Seeing as it is a public contest, I don't know if it would be considered Commercial use. 
    I also have a question regarding effects for the animations. Shall we not include any at all, or keep it to a minimum? 
    May we use things like transparent polygons/surfaces to insinuate an effect like swirling or shockwaves?

Hey man. You'd need to ask the artist if it's ok to use his model for this contest. The final decision would be up to him I guess. You can use any rig as long as it isn't ripped from another game or acquired illegally so you'd need permission from the original creator.

Regarding VFX you are fine to create your own effects to help show what is happening but try not to make them too distracting as the animation is what is being judged, not the VFX.

Hope that helps!
  • KerryAislinn
    Offline / Send Message
    KerryAislinn polycounter lvl 3
    I have a question about the environment art category. I am a concept artist so I don't necessarily model and texture things. But the page says that you must submit 2 modeled and textured assets. Does this mean I can't submit concept art? I'm willing to give modeling/texturing a try but with it not being my focus I don't imagine it will turn out so great. Please let me know what you think I should do. 
  • _adamturnbull
    @Technoir06 and @biotron and anyone else having issues with not being able to post a new topic. This should be fixed now thanks to @cheeseplus!
  • ChristianOrellana

Hey man. You'd need to ask the artist if it's ok to use his model for this contest. The final decision would be up to him I guess. You can use any rig as long as it isn't ripped from another game or acquired illegally so you'd need permission from the original creator.

Regarding VFX you are fine to create your own effects to help show what is happening but try not to make them too distracting as the animation is what is being judged, not the VFX.

Hope that helps!
    Yes this helps so much!! Thank you Adam! I will ask the modeler soon.
  • biotron
  • Captain_Marvelous
    Offline / Send Message
    Captain_Marvelous polycounter lvl 3
    Can you explain a bit more about what narrative entails? Is it writing a story? Telling one via comics/art? etc.?
    Hi @Captain_Marvelous

The full details for the Narrative portion of the contest can be found here.

GLHF!

The link showing permissions problems and not allowing us to view.
    What they said. 
  • Elidove
    Offline / Send Message
    Elidove null
    Hello!
    I’m new to polycount and I plan on competing in the Illustration contest. I was wondering if traditional art is acceptable to submit or is it solely digital? Thanks!
  • JunkieKong
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    Sorry if this has been made obvious already, but do we also need a League account to enter the comp?
  • Pabs
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 11
    are monster entries (such as the dragons or baron nashor) allowed?
  • Egyptian Penguin
    Offline / Send Message
    Egyptian Penguin polycounter lvl 4

Hey, for the animation contest it does not have to be based on a pre-existing champion but shouldn't be too far from something that could be in League of Legends so keep this in mind when animating. Its mostly about the creativity and quality of the animation.
    Sweet, thanks for the information!

I had two different minds in route, one was a sort of Ezreal Concept but the other is different. Do you only want two animations or is more than one sound more fun?
  • ajramsey28
    Offline / Send Message
    ajramsey28 triangle
    Hi I have an animation question. For the final play blast, we submit one video with both animations and all the different views? Or multiple play blast? I just want to double check. Also for the images I'm guessing jpeg? Or will we need to put them in a pdf?
    Thank you! :)
  • _adamturnbull
    Hi I have an animation question. For the final play blast, we submit one video with both animations and all the different views? Or multiple play blast? I just want to double check. Also for the images I'm guessing jpeg? Or will we need to put them in a pdf?
    Hey man, it would be good to have them as individual quicktime files named appropriately so we know which is which.

Jpegs are fine for the images :)
  • _adamturnbull

Sweet, thanks for the information!

I had two different minds in route, one was a sort of Ezreal Concept but the other is different. Do you only want two animations or is more than one sound more fun?
    Hey, do as many as you like as long as there is at least one movement cycle and one from the other options (set in the guidelines). It will be judged on quality over quantity so if you do more than that make sure you place your best pieces at the start :)
  • Gabriel Fernandez
    Offline / Send Message
    Gabriel Fernandez polycounter lvl 8
    Brazilians can't participate?
  • Bobababooi
    Offline / Send Message
    Bobababooi polycounter lvl 7
    Hi there, for the environment category, is it required to keep the turret/den in the nature aesthetic (meaning same forestry look as the current map) or be able to integrate other elements, like for example, a volcano theme inhibitor or Graveyard cryptic den as long it fits within in the LoL lore? 
  • THendersonVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    THendersonVFX polycounter lvl 6
    One more for VFX: Can we enter separate submissions for both Realistic and Stylized? If so should we make two different threads, or just keep it one thread and make sure our submissions designate what category they are for? 

Absolutely! You should keep your work for your VFX entries all in the same thread. -Nate
  • ifurkend
    Offline / Send Message
    ifurkend null
    The guidelines for VFX does not rule out any post-processing filter effect but camera shake. So are we allowed to use as much as we like regardless of impacts of performance and visual clarity on real-time MOBA?

You will be judged on your VFX alone. If you add any other effects I would keep them to a minimum, as they are not judged (and often distract). Also, this is not a competition just for our League of Legends style of effects. -Nate
  • ifurkend
    Offline / Send Message
    ifurkend null
    The submission format of VFX entry video requires QuickTime H.264. Does that means the video file has to be a .mov wrapper or other extensions like .mp4 and .avi with the required compression?

.mp4 and .avi are fine as well :) -Nate
  • ajramsey28
    Offline / Send Message
    ajramsey28 triangle
    Hey man, it would be good to have them as individual quicktime files named appropriately so we know which is which.

Jpegs are fine for the images :)
    Awesome! Thanks so much!
  • GuanAndOnly
    Offline / Send Message
    GuanAndOnly polycounter lvl 6
    Hey there! Just wondering for the environment art- does the turret and the creep den have to be thematically cohesive? Or could we treat them as two separate components? 
  • Epsilonart
    Offline / Send Message
    Epsilonart polycounter lvl 4
    Hey ! Just woke up this morning after creating my WIP thread from yesterday but now it appears that my thread was removed. why is that ? did I do something wrong ?
  • Kovacch
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovacch null
    I want to create a skin, but i just realize i have absolutely no idea on how to get the in-game model so i can work on it. Also dont know how to import the skin to the game and test it. Looked for official tools, but didnt found anything. Can someone help me with this? 
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I have a question about the environment art category. I am a concept artist so I don't necessarily model and texture things. But the page says that you must submit 2 modeled and textured assets. Does this mean I can't submit concept art? I'm willing to give modeling/texturing a try but with it not being my focus I don't imagine it will turn out so great. Please let me know what you think I should do. 
    Nah the environment art is a 3D category, there's no "concept art" categorie, only an "illustration one" that is for character.
  • Isunoj
    Offline / Send Message
    Isunoj polycounter lvl 9
    yararstss said:
    Odow said:
    yararstss said:

Man, it's so hard to living in a third World country. In fact, probably the Brazil's impost system should make something difficult. I want to know if even being from Brazil I can at least post in the forum and be involved with the production of other artists.
    I'm from Brazil, too. I think it's okay to participate, you just will not be eligible for the prize. That part of the rules was not very clear to me. Wait for some adm to confirm.
  • brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Bit of a picky question, but can Riot provide us with the in game camera angle and angle of view/FOV? This will be helping with the layout of our assets inside of 3DMax and compositing later on. 

Thanks!

** Nevermind, anserwed my own question - The angle to use is around 55 degrees with the FOV being 40.
  • Bishop313
    Offline / Send Message
    Bishop313 polycounter lvl 9
    No offence guys i know i'm a stiff, but the character thread looks like a mess. Only one participant was able to start his thread/topic with a proper naming so far. ( [RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] bla bla - blub blub) 100 Points to "Miguel CBT". Why are all the other threads proper?