Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Amazing Spider Gwen

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
RocketBryan polycount sponsor
- UPDATE 7/16: Project Finished -

Greetings humans!

Starting a project thread for hopefully a quick turnaround on a new model. Tackling a cartoony, stylized Spider-Gwen on the recommendation of my significant other (she's super excited about Marvel's new wall-crawler). I could easily sculpt this girl out, but I really wanted to practice some further straight-modeling polygon flow and anatomy. I'm still getting a handle on sculpting in general, but it's always good to keep those traditional modeling skills up to par for re-topology tasks.

Not super concerned with geo optimization, but any feedback on poly flow and such is always welcome.

zjzwwUL.jpg

SnbFWml.jpg

Replies

• nickcomeau
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    The anatomy you have on the chest and upper abdomen seems a bit odd, as well as on the lower back. Also, two other things I would say is that you could use a lot more geometry on your face to define the forms a bit more (comparing something like the knees to the face, the face is suuper minimal), and I would also look at proper joint topology so that they will deform correctly because right now I don't think they would.

Lastly, her anatomy is a bit extreme. I would make make her midsection a bit wider. Right now she has barbie proportions. One of your reference shots has a good depiction of what would make more sense anatomically (even though it is still a bit much still).
  • Vendetti
    Offline / Send Message
    Vendetti polycounter lvl 10
  • RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick update on progress. Got side-tracked for a bit, but continuing forward again now.

zVdC1Kp.png?1

JuCYU1D.png?1

nickcomeau Called me out on not having more progress on the parts I was showing - the head was really only blocked-in, but I should have removed it. ;)

I went over my topology a bit and did some clean-up work. The transition on the legs and butt needed some attention. I also re-constructed her chest as the separated breasts weren't needed when I'm aiming at Gwen's proportions from that center illustration. I really like that solid shape the artist used to define her bust. To answer your query Nick, the style I'm going for is more in-line with the far right model reference than the more anatomical one you're referring to (in fact I'm not sure why it's on the concept page other than that I like the style). But I will keep an eye on the joint systems when I rig. I think as long as they have enough well-placed geo, they should deform correctly.

Next up, connecting the hood, finishing off the hands, and getting her UV's busted out for texturing. Might make some tweaks to the head/eyes, but I need to see it with color on to really decide.
  • RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    The eternal struggle against distractions (legit and otherwise) continues.

Finishing off Gwen's rigging here to get her out of a standard T-pose. Still have to to do a few texture passes to get her suit looking right, but that shouldn't take long. Haven't decided if I want to add a spec or anything else yet.

I do sincerely wish I knew a rigging expert (wizard) I could just hand my models off to. Dealing with 3DS Max Biped is convenient, but not ideal. It's also time consuming as hell and I only kinda know what I'm doing.

cCVbS5x.jpg
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    Haven't decided if I want to add a spec or anything else yet.

and just leave it as is? you crazy? all this work into it and to not do more maps would be such a waste of time on your part!
  • jayriggo
  • nickcomeau
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    When you posed it the back of the shoulders/arm pit got kinda crunched funny IMO. And her left hand doesn't look very natural.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Her armpits seem a tad high to me. Is that intentional ??
  • THendersonVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    THendersonVFX polycounter lvl 6
    the area across the chest is too smooth. I think the chest area needs either more defined shape, or there should be fabric stretching/folds between her breasts. She's wearing a tight suit, so that will either conform to the shape of the breasts more, or the material will stretch between them.
  • RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet, thank you for the feedback! =)

I have a another updating incoming, working on that shoulder area now. I believe some of the issues are coming from the rigging. I can trouble-shoot it a bit, but I'm definitely not a rigger, so my own inexperience may be foiling me. lol

THendersonVFX The rounded shape was intentional as I was emulating that center image from my reference board. I liked the simplicity of the shape, but perhaps it's not reading as well in 3D. I will play around with it and see if I can come up with something better.
  • RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoops, forgot to post the finished results! Wrapped up this project a little while ago and hopping to the next thing. Thanks again for the feedback.

Gwen here was a fun modeling experiment and it was a blast to really push stylized proportions toward the long and lean which I haven't done much before. Although her rig is kinda, sorta, super wonky, I feel like a learn a little bit more each time about weighting and effective topology for movement. I'll have to look into other tools that might speed up the process.

I'm also going to look into perhaps getting her printed in some fashion. I've never walked the 3D-to-fabrication path so I'm pretty curious as to what the results will be.

iTWtQKN.jpg
    kywzDmC.jpg
    SnbFWml.jpg
    5PXKtHX.jpg
  • Jeremy-S
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I really like this one. The style looks great. I like the proportions, design, and colors. Great work, man
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
  • Danger_Sideburns
    Offline / Send Message
    Danger_Sideburns polycounter lvl 7
    Love those proportions, man. Feels really animated. Would love to see this model in motion!
  • TomGT
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Turned out really good! Great job man.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Turned out great!
    Love the exagerated proportion, only thing that bugged me a bit is how long her arms are.
    Anyway, greatjob!
  • RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for the kind words, I really appreciate it!

The long arms I really debated back and forth about. Her arm length likely changed about a dozen times, but...I settled on long to match her legs-for-days look. Those knees come up to her chin Bayonetta style - all she's missing is the massive heels.  ;) 

I also wanted to see those exaggerated proportions animated, so I'm actually releasing the SDK file for this one since I already don't own the character. Hopefully someone can do something rad with her.

I'll post here and in the SDK master thread:

Spider-Gwen SDK
    By: Brian Bedford (Rocket Brian)
    Name: Spider-Gwen
    Release: 2015-07-17
    Texture: 2048x2048 diffue/spec maps (TGA)
    Mesh: OBJ ~12,300 tris
  • amirabd2130
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    I like it.
    well done
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    so I'm actually releasing the SDK file for this one since I already don't own the character. Hopefully someone can do something rad with her.

what do you mean you don't own the character? as in the concept? or did you use chunks of other pre made meshes?
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really awesome work!
  • RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    what do you mean you don't own the character? as in the concept? or did you use chunks of other pre made meshes?

Heh, sorry I should have clarified. I don't own the rights to the Spider-Gwen character so I couldn't sell the files or any printed versions of her, but the model is definitely all mine. =)
  • cassieluna
    Hey, just wanted to know if you had the texture files for the model? as in png where it should for example look like this: 
  • Tristra
    I like this, in fact this is my first comment here and it is because this just seems to have a great character tone to it.
    The lith round shapes seem lite hearted and youthful, and for me at least the elongated limbs reminds me of the whimsy of a Tim Burton character like Jack Slelington. all things that I feel fit the character and a tone I would certainly read or watch.
  • lucianomunoz_
    Offline / Send Message
    lucianomunoz_ polycounter lvl 2
    very cool man, hey do you have the texture of spidergwen without the shadows baked?
  • RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoo! Looks like an older project thread got resurrected a bit.

@Tristra
    Thank you very much! that's definitely and interesting interpretation that hadn't occured to me, but I can definitely see it. This was a project from quite some time ago, but it's still neat to go back to older work to find new inspiration.

@loochmunz
    Thanks mate! Gwen here was more of a modeling experiment than a true texturing exercise, but I did track down her original master PSD and was able to boil her texture flats down to this. Hope it helps!

@cassieluna
    I apologize for the VERY late response, but you did remind me to go back and update the original SDK link. You should find the full zip file (with texture files) here.