Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Tech Wizard Girl

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AndresCasta interpolator

I haven't done any game res female character so I wanted to give it a try. I've been working on this girl for a few weeks but I wanted to share my progress and continue posting. I did this concept a while ago trying to address some of my weaknesses for my next piece those including clothing and hard surface. The idea is pretty much a wizard who uses magic and technology combined. The mech golem is the first iteration I had but I think it looks too industrial and perfect. That's why probably I'll change it because I want to make something she probably made by herself. She is gonna have an arm adaptation as well, that why I'll be able to approach mechanical model which I have no experience doing. The concept is just like the main idea I have but I'll probably be tweaking the design in the process if I see something is not feeling how I want.

Actual State:

Concept:

Blockout: 

Replies

• AndresCasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    The first week I addressed the bust of my character. I have always considered it one of the most important parts to spend time on. Tried to get the face and hair feel right with some level of stylization whit out exaggerating too much.

• AndresCasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    After getting the face of my character how I wanted to look, I moved into the hat. I wanted to bring some artesanal feeling to this part of the character designing an unique pattern instead of using a seamless alpha. This took a while but the result was better than I expected :) 

• AndresCasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    I like to address my character per sections that's why I moved into the shirt and the left hand glove. Even when in the concept the left hand is going to be covered I still thinking that this is going to be animated so I can't just omit that part. Thera are not a lot of pieces in the glove but the design is complex enough for what I need. Also the shirt is quite simple after all the bottom part of the character is going to have a decent amount of details so I think it's good for the eyes to have a place with not as much visual noise. 

• AndresCasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    This is on of my last stages I did a few changes in the design and refined a little bit most of the clothing. I think is looking good and really close to what I want.

• AndresCasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    Here you can see how some of the pieces have been changing when I do the refining process. 

• nekromantikko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nekromantikko polycounter lvl 2
    This is looking really good so far! Love the attention to detail! When refining, do you remake parts from scratch or do you just literally refine what you already have?
    Can't wait to see more
  • dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    I'm absolutely crazy about the detail and close ups you got going for this character, @AndresCasta. Particularly the gloves and that shirt twist on the back. I also really like how you styled her hands and fingers.

With her current proportions, I think you could try squashing her head down a bit so it's less long (but that could also just be my own tastes). Right now I feel like too much of her forehead might be visible, especially with her hair and hat. 

Really enjoying what you've done so far, and it's super inspiring to see your progress on this. Hope you post more on her soon!
  • AndresCasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    @jpr I'm glad you like it! to ask your question I usually take my dynamesh blockout and start masking and extracting the pieces with 0 thickness that way is easier to clean it up. using the zremesh feature I try to keep them as low poly as I can, taking down the slider a lot if necessary. That way I can still tweaking some aspects such as proportions and shape. Once I have the pieces clean and how I want I just use the Edgeloop feature to add some thickness to each part. Finally I can work in each part individually using layers to add the detail and getting that overlapping effect between pieces. Hope it helps :)

@dGreenberg Thanks I'm glad you like it! I really like the twist in the shirt too. I actually just saw my friend wearing that shirt and I liked the design so used it as reference. It seems you can find inspiration in any place :D 

• AndresCasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    Now that I'm done with the pouches and bags I will continue refining the clothe for the bottom part.
  • sstoev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sstoev polycounter lvl 2
    bloody hell mate this is looking really really gooood :D:D
  • jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    @AndresCasta first of all this is amazing!

I'm glad that you covered how made the bags.  I hadn't thought about extracting at zero thickness before.  I'll have to give that a try next time im making something.

Now for your hat... I love it!  I wanted to make something similar, but it ended up no where as good.  Can you explain your process a bit more?  Did you mask and then extract the weaved pieces?  If so, how did you get them all the same size?

Cant wait to see where you take this!
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Looks really nice although I feel like her hat is sitting a bit awkward on her head. 
  • AndresCasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator

@Sunray Thanks for the comment! I'm gonna take a look to what you said about the hat, thanks!

@jose.fuentes Thanks Jose for your comment I really appreciate it :) 

This is a small breakdown of how I addressed the weaved pieces on the hat.

1) I just had the base body for the hat. Took a screenshot from the top view and went into photoshop to start defining the design I wanted.

2) Once I had the design defined I went back to Zbrush and made two duplicates of the hat base mesh I had at a really low res.
    I took advantage of the loops that conform the had to create two sets of polygroups for the weaves. One for the ones from inside out the hat and the other for the circular ones that support the first set.

3) After setting everything up, the next phase was pretty much a lot of patience and time using the Move Topological Brush to match the shape of the design. Keeping everything at 0 thickness and really low res really helps. In cas I needed more straps I could just simply select one of the existing ones and duplicate. Also, because I kept the original base of the hat I had a base to place all the weaves around matching that semi concave shape it has.

At the end I just used Panel Loops to add some thickness to it. Even after subdividing a couple timesI was able to make changes and tweaking some stuff with the Move Topological Brush. It took a while but the result looks how I wanted. Hope it helps a little bit. All my process for everything I do is reduced to having a really low res version of what I want and using polygroups and thickness to have more control over the different pieces.

• AndresCasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    Pretty much done with the clothes of the bottom part. Moving on into the mech arm! wish me luck, Don't have a lot of experience doing hard surface stuff :sweat_smile:

• jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    thanks for the tutorial, thats an awesome workflow!

• Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dragonar polycounter lvl 10
    I love it !! keep it up !
  • Mateus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mateus interpolator
    This is coming along very well, and thanks for the break downs.
  • CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Looking great so far! :smile:
  • RitualSynergY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RitualSynergY greentooth
    Love it! Subbed :)
  • AndresCasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    Thanks everyone for the comments! It really motivates me to know that you like what I'm doing :blush:

As I mentioned the last post I moved into the mech arm. I just finish the rough dynamesh sketch of how I want the arm to look. Keeping in mind it's functionality over design. I tested the different joints and it seems to be working pretty well. The next phase is polishing which will take a little bit of time. 
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Wuff, that certainly looks functional to me!. and the design is rad too. Really interested in seeing how you pull this one off! :D
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good it might look nice to add some cables as veins 

• Jutunis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jutunis polycounter lvl 8
    This is absolutely awesome! Really loving the walk through of your workflow. I'm definitely using that trick in my own projects!
  • universe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    universe polycounter lvl 8
  • danielgalanty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danielgalanty polycounter lvl 5
    Very useful tutorials, thanks for sharing!, character looks amazing already!
  • Solid_Otter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Solid_Otter polycounter lvl 6
    You don't mind if I steal bits and pieces of your workflow do ya? lol
    Thanks for sharing. I especially like how the accessories are turning out. 
  • gruntpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gruntpunch polycounter lvl 5
    Very nice @Sunray! I'm enjoying your work flow.  Very clean sculpt! Looking forward to seeing the materials :D
  • AndresCasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    Thanks everyone for the comments It seems you like my workflow so feel free to ask questions if you wish, I'll try to answer them.

For now this is what I got so far with the mech arm. It has been a lot of try and error to get it right but I least I got the hand pretty much done. 

I used Jonas Ronnegard's Sci Fi alphas for the alpha work combined with Tom Newbury's mech brushes. Hope is looking good :) 

• mavhn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mavhn polycounter lvl 10
    nice sculpting details well done!
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    oh wow! nice work on the hand!I cant wait to see the low poly on this
  • AndresCasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    I think I can call the mech arm done! I'm pretty happy with the result. Now moving into the coat before some final touches to call the high poly done :smiley:

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    so can i ask you a question about he arm. is every piece in here seperate? or did you sculpt alll of that detail in? 
    IG; the tubes, and gears between bones. 
    followup, what mat is that? 
  • CaesarAlbertus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CaesarAlbertus polycounter lvl 8
    Great details, its coming along very nice, thanks for sharing the breakdowns and the tutorials 
  • AndresCasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    @CaesarAlbertus Thanks!  :)

@pmiller001 about your question, most part are different pieces when it comes to small bolts attached to a surface, panel or vents those are pure visual noise using alphas. I used Jonas Ronnegard's Sci Fi alphas and Tom Newbury's mech brushes if your are interested google them they are pretty good. Also, in this case I took my dynamesh version and retopo the different pieces in Maya because I wanted a specific topology for each piece, Then everything was just adding thickness and bevels. Hope it helps  :) 

• Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Digging this..great jjob.  The arm still has a suppleness to it that really works for a womans arm.
  • Lazar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazar polycounter lvl 3
    I love this piece so much!! Gosh it improved dramatically after the block in!! I love the breakdowns too, they're super useful!
  • AndresCasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    @Dimfist Thanks! I tried to make the design keeping in mind is a woman arm thanks for noticing :D

Thanks @Lazar! Those words coming from an artist I follow and admire mean a lot to me :blush:
  • Torsoaril
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torsoaril polycounter lvl 5
    Really enjoying seeing how this is progressing :) looking awesome and the breakdowns for people are amazing
  • FemCharles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    This is looking great! i'v been following the progress for awhile :) sub'd!
  • StrongRum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrongRum polycounter lvl 6
    This is looking really good! I can't wait to see it finished! 
  • Kapcore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapcore node
    interesting and inspiring detailed WIP, let me express my rapture :)
    waiting for continuation
  • AndresCasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    Thanks Everyone for the comments! It really helps me to know if you like what I do. 

This is the actual state of the project. Really close to call the high poly done! This time I tried to get a high resolution render so you can take a look at the details. If you have any comments or suggestion don't be afraid to post! I will evaluate and understand the different points of view you have. Hope you like it and thanks for following my progress :smile:
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Superb job so far with some great breakdowns! I love how the mechanical arm transitions in to her real arm really nicely. One  minor nitpick is the holes on the leggings seem quite undefined and boring, but super minor stuff =P 
  • AndresCasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    @Nuclear Angel Thanks for the comment! I see what you mean I really was thinking on making another pass to the leggings adding some wrinkles and improving the holes to make them look as interesting as the rest of the character :)

I'm in the final stage just polishing some props such as a diary where she takes notes of her discoveries and some kind of scroll using technology instead of a traditional one.  
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    Subscribing to leech all the process images. And also because GUDNESS! I dig your stylised shapes and angles man. 
  • AndresCasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    I'm sorry everyone for the inactivity. I've been really busy the past month and needed to take a break :s . I'm coming back hoping to keep updating more constantly! I'm done with the retopo and also I'm finishing the bakes right now. This is a little update. I've been fixing baking errors the last week so hope to be done with the bakes by tomorrow and proceed to texturing. Hope you like how is looking right now my poly budget for this character is around 100k - 115k tris for the game character. Hope you like it and if you have suggestions let me know in the comments  :)

• Bigg__D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigg__D polycounter lvl 4
    Awesome man this really looks like a lot of work & you kept it moving. Was it all zbrush including the retopology? 
  • AndresCasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    @Bigg__D Thanks! All has been done using Zbrush and Maya. I mainly use maya for anything related with retopology and zbrush for sculpting! 

• AndresCasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndresCasta interpolator
    Done with the bakes! The hair is not the final version I just didn't want to keep her with out something on her head. Next step is texturing and then work on the hair cards. For those who may ask the model is actually 84k triangles without the hair cards. Can't wait to start texturing!!  :D

• nekromantikko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nekromantikko polycounter lvl 2
    Looking great, I can't wait to see color on her either!