Home Contests & Challenges Archives 3Daily 2017

3DAILY - Lilium

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Lilium triangle
Hi everyone ! I'm a noob with a strange background in architecture.

I've come to polycount because of this challenge. This post and the community around it will help me get motivated and do 3D every-single-day even when I can't. If one day I actually can't do it, I'll try to do more another day to compensate. I
I'll post here all of my questions, so please don't hesitate to comment on everything, it will help me progress. I know I'm a noob and that I have a long way to go still. But I'm trying to change that. 

So this is only to show where I came from (my last project for my master in architecture)  done in Rhino/Maxwell/Photoshop. I want to be able to have the same quality in 3DS max. THIS IS MY GOAL.

Astronaut done while following a tutorial in a 3DArtist magazine last month:

A simple can done yesterday to learn UVmapping :

Replies

• Lilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilium triangle
    WIP
    Bob omb!

Today I learned how to make a cord, even though mine in far from perfect. I still need to do the back and the feet, play around with the background redo the cord and make the bomb pink like Bombette is. I'll do that tomorrow!
    Question of the day : Since my model is super glossy and has a lot of refraction/reflexion, how would you go to create a cool neutral background ?  
  • Lilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilium triangle
    Alright, I didn't do the bob-omb today, but I played aroung in Unity (tutorial made by Brackeys) and I kinda made a game and since I have something to show, it counts!

My plan is to get good enough in Unity that I could make a little game with my own 3D models!

• Lilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilium triangle
    Today I finished the game and try to publish it on my website, but the ground had disappear, I really don't know what happen because the .exe version was fine.

Also, 3DSMax drained my energy today. I tried to do the handle of the bob-omb, but I got stuck. If you wish to help me, please see : http://polycount.com/discussion/189393/noob-question-on-3dsmax-please-help/p1?new=1

This is where I am right now :

• Lilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilium triangle
    I think that perhaps It'll be best for me to open a Sketchbook section and only post 3D here, so yeah, that's what I'm gonna do.
    I didn't post yesterday because I lost the files I was working on (for a pink bobomb). So today I made something simplier : a leaf!

I'm also running out of good quality tutorials for 3Ds Max. If it's not the person talking who's not competent, they are just so boring. So please, send me some if you know some really good ones !

• Lilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilium triangle
    Here I have the 3D logo of a streamer named Grandpoobear. It's quite late so I'll texture it tomorrow. Oh and I still want to do Bombette! It'll be fun!

• Lilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilium triangle
     I'm back!

Here is the final product smooth/poly.
    Texturing is harder than I expected. Any tips ? 

• Lilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilium triangle
    Hey guys!
    It seems like I haven't done something in a while, right? But I'm not! In fact, I'm still learning 3ds max like ever before but I'm using it in for architectural rendering for actual clients so I can't really show it. 
    But in my free time I'm still learning Unity, so here's something I did yesterday (thanks Brackeys for the tutorial) :

• Lilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilium triangle
    Alright, not really proud of it but it's my first thing ever made in Zbrush and it's a face!
    I have a lot to improve off but now I guess that I know more how to use Z brush! Quite easy to understand in fact, I'm pleasantly surprised!
    (Made with the help of a tutorial by Ryan Kingslein "First Zbrush Lesson")

• Lilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilium triangle
    Hey everyone!
    I was stuck with a so-simple-issue that I can't even believe it! But I know what? I feel like I've learned a lot while listening to a tutorial that I don't really recommend Here.
    I feel like it's one of the first things that I'm that proud of! :D

• Lilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilium triangle
    Today I played around with the textures! I'm a beginner, so if you have any tips, they are welcomed! :D

• Zalek4
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
    Hey Lilium! Long time no see :smile:

That chest turned out really good after we fixed that problem. Nice job!

The only advice I would give is that your UV's look a bit too spaced out. You can reduce the space between the islands in Max's UV editor by going to tools>pack uvs. It should be a parameter in there called "padding" or something similar. Just play around with the value.

Again, that render looks dope!
  • Lilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilium triangle
    Hey Zalek4! :D  

Sorry for the delay, I had to set a new computer up! ^^
    Thanks for the tip! I'm actually looking at a Substance Painter tutorial that talks also about the spacing of UVs. But I am wondering, what good does it do to have packed UV's?  I understand it's to optimize a map/texture, but is there more to that? 
  • Zalek4
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
    Optimizing a UV map by packing means that each UV island is going to be scaled up or down depending on it's relative size to the surrounding islands. Packing lets you maximize the amount of pixels you can fit on an island which increases the overall texture resolution for your mesh.

I can post picks if you need me to.
  • Lilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilium triangle
    I think I understand UV mapping a bit better now! Thank you :) 
    Here's what I'm working on actually. If any of you have tips for beginners, don't hesitate to comment! 

WIP : 
    I tried to do my first scene! So here's my concept!

And what I've done so far : 

My sky is actually a place holder and I want to redo all of the texture for the building since we don't see anything now that I have a sky. 
    I also put the sun in the middle of the render but we can't see it... anyone knows why? 
    I don't really like the positioning of the building, I should play around with that and/or the lens of the camera. I'll have to look that up, I've never worked with a physical camera before. 

But I'll probably export everything to Unity or try to redo the render in Vray if I learn how to use it correctly. 
    I also want to try Substance Painter for fun !
  • Lilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilium triangle
    Had some fun with Painter today :smile:

• Lilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilium triangle
    Play around some more with Painter but I really can't figure out how to do bricks. But I'm pretty sure my UV map of the scene is crap and everything is too big. So I'll start over with something simpler and see if that resolves anything.
    Also, I don't have photoshop right now so I can't do the pink sky like I wanted to *sad*.

• Lilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilium triangle
    I'm really posting a lot more than before, so happy about that! My new computer helps a lot to get me motivated! 
    So this morning after my coffee I made my mug, it's my 1st time replicating an object and 2nd time trying Painter! Any tips are welcome! 

Real :

3D : 

• Lilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilium triangle
    Final Version : 
  • Lilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilium triangle
    I made the 3D yesterday and painted it today  :

model
    Next, I want to do something a bit more challenging! I always wanted to do a greenhouse, but I think I'll start with a magnifying glass to help me understand opacity map. 

Still learning! 

• Lilium
  • CrazyYuan
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyYuan polycounter lvl 7
    Hey, nice progress you are showing! Keep learning and you'll get where you want :)
  • Lilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilium triangle
    Life-Stuff happened but here I am again! I got frustrated with 3DS max so right now I'm trying to learn Blender. My day job is in architecture (Vray/SketchUp), so one of my goal is to make realistic house-render. But I also want to just have fun, especially right now.

Me trying to understand PBR metal :

• Lilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilium triangle
    And this one too : 

• Lilium
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilium triangle
    The first time I open up blender, that's what I did : (by following a tutorial of course!)