Home Technical Talk

[Photoshop Extension] Lazy Save

Replies

• TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    TooLzor polycounter lvl 10
    I've finished an update to make settings more retained. 
    Moving from Photoshop's built in "customOptions" which seem to be hit or miss sometimes, I've now switched to JSON.
    This also will make the UDP (user defined presets) more likely to be a reality. 

So I'm thinking that they will most likely be like 
    UDP button on the UI -> click -> small window with Dropdown with Name of Presets you have defined and a + to define a new one and USE / Cancel buttons.
    Click the dropdown and select your preset and hit use and it will update your settings to be that (and if it's for Channel Packing, set up groups with their correct colors) 

Clicking the + would open a more or less step by step setup for it. Thinking that it would be
    1.Mode Select -> Single/Group/Channel Packing
    2.Set Output folder.
    3.Image Settings
    -optional 4a)group selected -> set group related options like in the current settings
    -optional 4b) channel packing -> Name groups and set colors they will have. 

Thoughts? Things you want? Should it all just be like in the current settings and you just hit make preset or something?
  • Loren Broach
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    Just bought your script yesterday.  Super helpful! I've only had a chance to glance at this thread so apologies if this has been asked already.  Every time I export a TGA it turns off the layer I exported.  How can I keep the layer visible when I export so I don't have to keep turning it on again?  Thanks!
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Just bought your script yesterday.  Super helpful! I've only had a chance to glance at this thread so apologies if this has been asked already.  Every time I export a TGA it turns off the layer I exported.  How can I keep the layer visible when I export so I don't have to keep turning it on again?  Thanks!
    Hey that's getting fixed in an incoming update. I'm just in the midst of moving and hope to have it out in the next week ish.
    (I noticed it and it was annoying so I have it fixed, just have to finish the user defined presets feature which is about 90%done)

Thanks a lot for your support, it means a lot to me :blush:
  • Loren Broach
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome, thanks for the response.  Looking forward to the updates, good luck on the move!
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Well UDP is done. Just have to find some testers to give it a try before I officially release it 

Here's a gif showing the Channel Packing part of UDP
    Set your settings (folder, image settings, mode etc
    If you're channel packing then setup your group names and the channel you would want them to pack into
    Save the UDP and then USE it and it will make the folders with their colors and set up your settings from that UDP for your Lazy Saving needs 

Debating if I should remove the usual folder Icon (for setting your output folder) and put it in the settings page itself (like what I'm doing with UDP now)
    Thoughts?

Edit:
    Also just added buttons to remove channels you added (cause I know at some point someone would ask about it anyways :P )

• TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoping to release 1.6 tomorrow (Monday, Oct 10)
    UDP will be another of the features that will be included for those that have donated to Lazy Save. 
    So far, 
    Multi-single Image saving
    User Defined Presets 

are the features that are available to the donated version only (makes it even better for those that have been kind enough to show me a bit of support :smiley:

Thanks again everyone that has donated, told me about bugs and in general given me words of support and feedback. I appreciate it a ton!
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    1.6 is now live on Gumroad!
    https://gum.co/LazySave

Hope it helps you guys out and I'd love to hear about where/how Lazy Save is helping your production!
  • imperator_dk
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    I got a gumroad mail with the new version 1_6 being out, but the download file is still named 1_5_5 ?
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    That's strange. I'm just on the train atm but I'll check when I get to where I'm going.
    Thanks for letting me know.
    Open the zip and see if it has a file called win installer, if it does then it should be the new version
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    I got a gumroad mail with the new version 1_6 being out, but the download file is still named 1_5_5 ?
    K, I apparently forgot to do the version change after I uploaded it. It's fixed now :smile:
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    I've just installed this (clean install, deleted the old version). None of the buttons are responsive, with the exception of the "report a bug" button. I made sure my photoshop version is up to date as well, in case that has any bearing. Any suggestions?
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Windows/Mac
    Version of ps?
    If you have a few minutes, jump on https://discord.gg/USBnrMa so I can chat/debug easier :D
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazy Save 1.6 should now be fixed. 
    If you downloaded this morning, please re download and let me know if you run into any more problems :cold_sweat:
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    On feedback from some users, I'm going to work on some new features at least for the next update.
    1. Relative Paths (optional)
        This will be so people in teams/studios can use it easier 

2. Custom UDP location
         Just to have custom places for UDP (again more for teams/studios)

3. Option to have ONLY selected group content visible. 
         Essentially the same single image saving but have no other outside layers visible. This will be a toggle option

4. WYSIWYG Mode:
         No group needed to save what is visible. This will allow the user to quickly save the psd with whatever is visible but as a caveat it will only allow you to save as PSD name or override PSD name.

Also going to be making the mode names more clear:
    -Renaming Single Image Mode -> Selected Group Mode
    -Group Export Mode -> Group Contents Mode 
    -Pack Specified groups into specific channels -> Channel Packing Mode

As this seems to have been causing issues with users (yeah you know who you are :P )using the wrong mode and not watching any of the vids on how to use Lazy Save :expressionless:
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    Great solution Toolzor, yeah inside Lazy save there's the word lazy haha. At least those users errors + your dedication are improving the tool.

The name you found for the differents modes are really simple and good.
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Relative paths with WYSIWYG mode are in and working :)
    Custom UDP folder location is in and working as well. Just working on one more small feature to make this mini update done :)
  • Cathodeus
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    Really nice work, mate. Thanks for making this.
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazy Save 1.6.1 is going to start being tested :)
    I hope to release it soon (if there's no bugs found :D)
    Going to post the change log already so you guys can see what to expect

V 1.6.1
    --------
    October 14/2016
    Added Extra Settings Tab to settings/UDP.
    -Extra settings allow users to set relative paths for their image saving.

Added What You See Is What You Get Mode (WYSIWYG)
    -This will allow users to save out whatever is on their screen without having to make a group. But this means that you will get an image based on your PSD/Custom Name

Added Custom Pathing for UDP
    -You can now set a path for where your UDP's will be stored (great for people using laptop/desktops or team settings)

Added Group Only toggle in Extra Settings
    -This will make it so ONLY what is inside the selected group(s) gets saved out.

Added Text to Settings so you can see what your file path is without having to go to the folder (mainly because of relative paths possibility)

Fixes:
    ---
    Fixed Resizing. Should now work in all modes correctly

• TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    While 1.6.x is in testing before I release it (trying to make sure this is actually stable..not like 1.6 first release)
    I was thinking of doing a Donator version give away but I want to see if there's actual interest first

If you're interested in getting a donator version for free, go vote so I know how many I'll be giving away :D
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    There wasn't a huge amount of votes but hey, I'll do a giveaway anyways because of the awesome feedback I've gotten this past week. I'm super stoked to be getting Lazy Save ready for more use in team/studio settings and there is even more cool stuff coming to the Donator version soon!
    So if you want a chance to get the Donator version for free, hit the twitter :D Drawing a winner on Saturday :D
    Also, going to be giving a few keys to @shayleen_hulbert  to be given away on her 12 hour stream on Saturday as well!
    So there's a few chances to get Donator versions this weekend!
    (Saturday Stream)

• TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    So 1.6.2 is live! Testing found a bug that I fixed in 1.6.2 before releasing 1.6.1 so don't panic if you didn't already have it!
    Here's a preview of WYSIWYG Mode AND Relative Paths all in one go!

I'm hoping to make some new videos to go over all the features and ways to use them up till this version, hopefully this week as there's been renaming and also I've been having people report errors where it's more just a case of PEBKAC :P so hopefully these videos will help to fix that a bit more!

Here's the change log(s) for this release
    V 1.6.2
    --------
    October 14/2016
    Fixed naming issues with various modes.

V 1.6.1
    --------
    October 14/2016
    Added Extra Settings Tab to settings/UDP.
    -Extra settings allow users to set relative paths for their image saving.

Added What You See Is What You Get Mode (WYSIWYG)
    -This will allow users to save out whatever is on their screen without having to make a group. But this means that you will get an image based on your PSD/Custom Name

Added Custom Pathing for UDP
    -You can now set a path for where your UDP's will be stored (great for people using laptop/desktops or team settings)

Added Group Only toggle in Extra Settings
    -This will make it so ONLY what is inside the selected group(s) gets saved out.

Added Text to Settings so you can see what your file path is without having to go to the folder (mainly because of relative paths possibility)

Fixes:
    ---
    Fixed Resizing. Should now work in all modes correctly
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some new videos on how to use Lazy Save modes correctly and what they do
    And another video showing some little tricks that can help speed up your usage of Lazy Save

• TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been PAINFULLY trying to make an update for the CC versions of Lazy Save, a UI update that is!

So basically I'm moving the Modes out of the Settings window and into the Panel flyout menu.  I'll be likely removing the radio buttons inside the settings window as well cause for some reason I Can't get them to sync up (if you watch the gif the very end I change the mode inside the settings window and the flyout menu doesn't get the change...it's  PS thing as far as I can tell) 

This should make the usage a bit faster/ more user friendly as well :)  I've been kicking around ideas for making the UI a bit better and this came out of that brain storm. Originally it was gonna be a drop down in the panel but then it makes the UI look uglier over all and of course, wouldn't work well with the smaller square buttons as well. 

Hoping to get this and some more cool features out in the next couple weeks. 
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message

With the new way to switch modes (in CC) via the flyout menu finally in, I got to work on some new features to increase the quality of life even more for users.

Donators are getting Auto Bit Detection for TGA saves! No longer do you have to switch between 24/32 everytime, set auto bit detection on in settings and it will do it based on if you have an alpha or not.

This also applies for Channel Packing. When you save with a violet group, it gets made into a alpha so it will auto get saved as a 32bit :open_mouth:

In the above gif I show off the newest (literally completed 30 mins before this post) feature for Channel packing!
    You're going to be able to save out with names via an extra group, the orange group!
    Put your groups that you want to channel pack in the orange group and select it and then PACK THAT SHEIT!
    It'll grab the name of the orange and pack your groups just like it already does!
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    Oh man ! Isn't it Halloween ??? Christmas is supposed to be after ! If i was gay i would probably marry you ! Auto alpha détection is good and naming by group is even better. I want to try it
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus said:
    Oh man ! Isn't it Halloween ??? Christmas is supposed to be after ! If i was gay i would probably marry you ! Auto alpha détection is good and naming by group is even better. I want to try it
    Soon. Probably start testing next week :) got a few more things i need to get in and fix first
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Do somebody know a scrip that could save Photoshop layer compositions to a specifc files and their specific channels ? 
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop said:
    Do somebody know a scrip that could save Photoshop layer compositions to a specifc files and their specific channels ? 
    Not even sure how to respond lol...Not sure if you mean just the different modes that Lazy Save does cover or if you're meaning something different and very very specific...
  • Handwiches
    Hi, I just bought the script off gumroad. All buttons are seemingly unresponsive in CC except the Testimonials and Report a Bug buttons. In CS6 I'm getting an error: "InternalError: Stack overrun."

I'm sure I must have done something wrong on my end, but I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, I just bought the script off gumroad. All buttons are seemingly unresponsive in CC except the Testimonials and Report a Bug buttons. In CS6 I'm getting an error: "InternalError: Stack overrun."

I'm sure I must have done something wrong on my end, but I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!
    Try running Photoshop in admin mode. That's been there cause of this. Need to be able to write a settings json file and non admin PS can't and bugs out

• TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dash-POWER
    Just finished doing a rough in of DDS file exporting.
    Looks like it should work (at least on Windows) I have no idea for Macs and such though :tongue:
    Thanks for the idea :smile:

• Dash-POWER
    Offline / Send Message
    Dash-POWER polycounter lvl 6
    @TooLzor
    Great! :smile: There is also next to texconv texassemble app which is similar to texconv but it builds cube maps and arrays in order. I dont want to force you to do that. Its up to you. Just telling it exist. :tongue: Thank you. :smile:
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dash-POWER
    Yeah I know it's there but I'm hesitant to put that in Lazy Save directly. 
    I think in the end I might have to put DDS as another tool since I don't think it really "fits" Lazy Save but I'm definitely open to dialogue on it.
    If there is enough people that actually want DDS in then I'll at least put the texconv in but I'm not sure about texassemble and how exactly I would make that work with what Lazy Save offers.
  • Handwiches
    TooLzor said:
    Try running Photoshop in admin mode. That's been there cause of this. Need to be able to write a settings json file and non admin PS can't and bugs out

Thank you! :smiley: Seems to be working perfectly in CS6 now, but I still can't access my settings in CC for some reason.
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    TooLzor said:

Thank you! :smiley: Seems to be working perfectly in CS6 now, but I still can't access my settings in CC for some reason.
    If you're still up and around and it's still not working, jump in my discord with me :) 
    https://discord.gg/gTDfSCJ
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    So yeah, Lazy Save 1.6.3 is in testing (has been for about a week) 
    Hoping to release it next Monday Nov 21/2016

Coming with some awesome new features.
    Definitely excited to get this in everyone's hands. Things like that new Channel Packing and Auto Bit Depth for TGA are going to be huge time savers I think (so far testers have told me that these features are making them "More lazy!" haha
    Change Log so far is:

V.1.6.3

--------

Donator Only:

-------------

Auto Detect TGA Bit Depth (Toggle) added in TGA settings.

-Works for auto Detecting Alpha Channels in all export Modes. Useful in channel packing so you don't have to change bit depth manually each time

CC Versions

Removed Mode changing from Settings Window and it is now available directly in the pane via the flyout menu (where you say close tab/ tab group etc.)

This was done to make mode switching easier and more intuitive with less downtime/clicks and traveling around the canvas

--See this tweet for visual explanation ->

All Versions:

-Added Stack Traces to alerts in crashes. If something crashes now it should tell you what the last place it was before it crashed so you can tell me easier.

-Channel Packing can now pack with naming conventions via putting your usual RGBV groups inside an Orange group that has the name you want your image to have (group wise)

--See this tweet for visual explanation ->

-Added alert when you don't have an open document and when you don't have a saved document (no longer doesn't do anything when hitting buttons on non saved doc)

-Added Open Image After Save (extra settings tab) which will open the saved image inside PS after a save

Bug Fixes:

-Fixed bug in Group Contents mode where Saving out layer names WITH relative paths wouldn't actually save and would silently fail.

• TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    1.6.3 is live on Gumroad!
     I hope you guys love it!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COqiGPRvRgw
  • Titus
    Offline / Send Message
    Titus polycounter lvl 14
    Hi there! so i have a problem, LazySave can't save settings , i can change options but it didn't save them,  only in admin mode. Any ideas?
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Have to be in admin mode for it to be allowed to write a settings file at all.
  • Titus
    Offline / Send Message
    Titus polycounter lvl 14
    TooLzor said:
    Have to be in admin mode for it to be allowed to write a settings file at all.

Yep, but in admin mode i don't see my Substed folders (for some reason) and some applications can't sent files to PH 
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure what you mean by substed folder
  • Titus
    Offline / Send Message
    Titus polycounter lvl 14
    TooLzor said:
    Not sure what you mean by substed folder
    ok,  when you need for example a special path to your files, there is a windows cmd "subst <drive letter> <folder path>" so you can create an virtual drive for existing folder. Usually we are using this for different projects. And for some reason some application in Admin mode don't see this virtual drives. :(
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Weird, not sure if I can do much about that. I support relative and hard paths not sure if I can do much for CMD specific pathing
  • Titus
    Offline / Send Message
    Titus polycounter lvl 14
    TooLzor said:
    Weird, not sure if I can do much about that. I support relative and hard paths not sure if I can do much for CMD specific pathing
    Yep, it's not on your side, it's a win problems.
  • TooLzor
  • Zarsky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zarsky polycounter lvl 5
    Bought it. Thanks for all the good work! Happy new year too!
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I wonder if it's possible to make same kind of tool that would save layer comps into  tga channels.    Imo channel based groups is not very convenient way  to work with the layer stack .   Groups based on specific texture details/ fragments  would be much more logical  and would be much easier to re-compose, re-scale , move etc.     Beyond  it's easier to switch from one texture to other  with layer comps.       I saw a script somewhere that could save layer comps into tgas.  It only missed packing  a specific  comp as an alpha channel. 
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    @gnoop I'm not sure I understand what you're after. You're pretty much able to do whatever you want with lazy save. 

Saving stuff into TGA channels is literally what channel packing is... So I'm confused as to what exactly you're wanting different 

With UDP you could have it set up the channels with re usable names at a button click as well so...

• gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    From the videos/pictures it looks like lt saves tgas from  the  groups.   So I have to make  groups :diffuse, normal, AO etc.    IMO it's pretty inconvenient approach.     I want it do same with "layer comps" instead.    So I would have layer comps  : diffuse, mormal, AO etc,   and the layer stack being organized any other way I consider useful.

ps.  "layer comps" it's a Photoshop way to save a certain composition of layers with certain properties and effects on and off.