Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Summer Character Workshop - Most High Ceoptra

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
sefice polycounter lvl 8
Hey Polycount! I'm honored and lucky to be part of Lee Devonald's @almighty_gir Summer Character Workshop! A few of us are starting a thread on the forums so you guys can view/learn/rip apart our processes as we go along.
Check them out here:

Lee Devonald - Swordswoman
Tom Lishman - Nemesis Demon
Sanna Kempe - Swordmaster
Shana Vandercruysse - The Baker
Nathan Ramsey - Illaoi Fanart
Stevie Cole - Neko-mancer

It's going to be an awesome learning experience for us and hopefully for you guys as well. :)

So on to the nitty-gritty, I've decided on doing this one:

-Most High Ceoptra from the Pathfinder Card Game by Eric Belisle

The concept has everything I find enjoyable in a design: clean and elegant with the right amount of appeal. Something about it just feels solid and would look great taken into 3D.

That said, our first session was to take the concept and break it down into real world materials. I've decided to do a semi-stylized look with realistic rendering; It would probably suit the concept best.

Next is sketching up the ambiguous aspects in the design. I don't think it would be that difficult given that the concept does a great job at defining it's elements. The biggest thing here I guess is the ornamental designs on her accessories.

Some notes that I may have to address later on:
  • The damn fur - The fur appears to be superficial so I'm not sure if I will be needing hair cards or just plain ol' normals to define the fur so I might need help on that. (Hi Lee! :P)
  • Hair - I have a set plan on tackling the hair. A good example is on Overwatch's Symmetra, that hair has a nice blend of sculpted hair and poly cards that could really suit this character.
  • The tail is absurdly long, I don't know if it will look that good in 3D but I've seen sculpts of this character with the same tail length so it should be fine.

Replies

• Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    For the fur I really wouldn't bother even thinking about hair cards, especially if you want to go a little stylized look. Looking at Witcher 3's fiend, griffin and wolves you get an idea how far they went to avoid doing fur when it was short. Especially with the 2 monsters you would rather expect them to have short fur along the legs and colorwise its hinted in that direction, but looking at them up close you see skin features. Only when it reaches the lenght of wolves fur they started faking it without nvidia hair and doing it with nvidia's simulation.

I would expect textures being the only smart solution for this - probably even without a specific normalmap depending on how stylized you go. I mean if you sculpt parts of the long hair - why even bother with putting that much detail into short fur that even in real life you barely see at distance? -> as a reference: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8e/Nagarhole_Kabini_Karnataka_India,_Leopard_September_2013.jpg

In any case I am looking forward what you are going to come up with :)

• almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Biomag is pretty spot on, the fur is so short and fine you could do it all with a texture nice and easy. If you wanted to really push it and have a really glossy coat like below, then you're going to want to use an anisotropic reflection, you can paint a directional map for that in substance painter.

• sefice
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    @Biomag @almighty_gir
    Thanks for the insight guys, I'll keep that in mind. :D

Alright, update! You guys might want to check the group's threads for more detailed stuff on methodology. I missed a session so I just followed along to catch up.

Just to recap the week, we started on our base sculpts. Our goal was to make a base that we could reuse in future work but I think I'll be reusing the top half for mine xD

I gathered additional reference for the anatomy and the general direction I want to take it. I always want the sculpt to depict the kind of environment/traits the character could have to add that extra layer of belief to it.

She has a very lean physique and I instantly thought of Victoria's Secret models. They tend to have very thin silhouette's but still have a good amount of muscle definition. Her concept just screams speed and agility and the body type should reflect that. As for her lower top, I naturally went for the cheetah. Despite the concept having a leopard-like skin, the body type looks more akin to a cheetah's than a leopard.

How to make the perfect Victoria's Secret model

Lee emphasized that at this stage we focus only on the rough proportions on the model. The important thing is that it should have all the elements (fingers, legs etc.) to create a base. Even if this is early in workshop, this advice was invaluable since I really do tend to overwork the model at this stage. I would usually get lost in overworking the anatomy and never really moving forward. It really helps if you're in this kind of environment to keep you disciplined. C&C Welcome!

Dat ass tho

After the base sculpt was done, we began to do a rough retopo. I don't usually mind retopology but it tends to get really monotonous and time consuming. Thank God for Lee 'cause he shared a really efficient way in approaching the retopo.

The hardest thing in retopo is getting everything to mesh together well. The best way to do that is by having a set number of edge loops for already defined for each area like the legs and arms via cylinders. For example, the legs/arms should have edge rings of 16, while the body 24 and it's only a matter filling-in the blanks. I'll update this with the ideal numbers for the loops in the future.

Lee did his on Max with the retopology tools and the conform brush. I use Maya so the quickest equivalent is using the Live Surface move the verts into place and fill-in with the Quad Draw tool. You guys may want to check Shana's Thread for a more detailed look on retopology.

It's almost therapeutic.

Unfortunately I messed up some numbers of the edge loops on the face and just winged it. I was till able to get an all quad mesh. From this point, you can separate each section of the mesh with either materials or dirty UV's so when you import them into Zbrush you get some nice polygroups!

That's it for today's post!
  • sefice
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    This week's all about sculpting.

Started doing some tweaks to the face and adding in some secondary forms to the anatomy. I still have to work on her lower half. Finding decent reference for that is a challenge. Usually the angles are limited to the profile and frontal areas. If you guys know where I can find some decent reference, I'm all ears :)

Anyway, there's not much to say share for sculpting. It's just the good ol' clay/move brush around until you're happy with the anatomy. I'm sure there are lots good resources in here already so I won't dive in too deep into that.

One thing I've been incorporating into my sculpts lately is making the eyes smaller than you actually think it is, even for semi-stylized stuff. The reason behind this is that you still have to account for the make-up,eyelashes and what not and they make the eyes bigger than they usually are. Polypainting a rough texture at this stage will help you visualize the face better.

That eyebrow game.

C&C Always welcome!

• sefice
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    Late update. I had Internet issues for the past week.

I did my best to catch up despite having missed the sessions.

Basically the week was about finalizing the high-poly sculpt. This is what I have for now. Biggest challenge for me right now is doing all the accessories. they have a ton of variety to them and most of it is really vague in the concept. It's easy to get carried away with details at this stage and most of it will never be seen that close anyway so I had to limit myself on how much I wanted to push it. There are still some elements that need figuring out in terms of design and that's what has me stuck.

Also, this week Lee did a sculptover for the group on our base meshes.

Lee pointed out that the face still felt too anime-ish and suggested I tweak the proportions to rectify that. He suggested I'd elongate the face and push it a bit forward to give her a more causcasian/arabian.

I took a closer look and decided to adjust the eyes too. Initially, I wanted her to have cat-like eyes so I slanted it more than I should have; this contributed to the anime-ish features too much. I've decided to let the make-up/texture suggest the cat-like features and give her more realistic eye proportions.

Cheers!
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Oh yes! I'm loving this! If anything I think the cat limbs are a little too long, that or they are just a little bit skinny making it look lanky.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Really digging on her tweaked face. Loved it. Though her eyes are missing the feline-look from the concept. How lower body, though, I feel like you got it resembles a dog than a cat. (like, a Dane or something)

• sefice
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the input guys!

@SukottoYeah, the cat limbs are longer than their realistic counterparts. In reality, regular leopard limbs are very much shorter and I wanted to stay close to the concept. I'll try playing around with those proportions and see how it looks though.

@PyrZern I see what you mean xD I'll add in extra leopard patterns in the future, I think It's just the rough polypaint making it resemble a dog's limbs. I'm actually torn between keeping the original eyes vs the new ones. :S
  • polymator
    Offline / Send Message
    polymator polycounter lvl 6
    @sefice This is amazing!
    I noticed a couple things that could maybe help so I made a quick Gif. I used the older sculpt image because it was easier to draw over.

Green = The scapula looks a bit too high. I think it could be lowered a bit to be more in line with her pelvis.

In fact I think the whole front part could be brought down a little. It will give her a bit more weight too. It would probably also fix the longer looking front limbs that Sukotto mentioned.

Red = The back could be arched a little more. You may have done this already but I couldn't tell in the new image you posted.
    The rib cage could be expanded and pulled down to have more volume. Exaggerate this if you want it more stylized of course.
    The front limbs could be moved out laterally which would make space for some of the rib cage and pectoral muscles from the front view (Blue)
    The back side looks fine since you've worked on the glutes and thickened the legs.

Arching the back, pulling the ribs downwards and moving the legs sideways will together make it look like gravity is doing its thing. It will ground her.

As for the face, the original concept was for a monster in pathfinder so I think if you want to make her look more monster-ish give her the angular eyes. If you want her to be more human stick with what you have now.

Hope this helps man. You workshop people are killing it.

• sefice
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks @polymator! I'm liking that arch on the spine, definitely helps! I'm quite happy with how the eyes turned out but I'm still playing around with those.

Her frontal part is a bit weird for me. Do quadrupeds have pectoral muscles? The only decent reference I could find for that area is this:

Unfortunately I don't have any reference for the underside and it doesn't seem to suggest that they do. It looks more like the bicep is connected directly to the throat? Of course I could be wrong. I'm not too worried though because that area will be covered up, but I'd love to hear what you think
  • polymator
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha the area you've marked out is the pectoralis major so yeah quadrupeds do have pectoral muscles. I just pointed it out because the plane change between the deltoid and pecs wasn't all that apparent in the sculpt.
    There is kind of a divot (green)  between the delts and the pecs that separates the two muscle groups.
    I've also marked where the pecs connect to on the base of the neck and the rib cage.

As you say this will be hidden by the cloth so no need to get finicky with it but if she was to be animated the underside may show. Never hurts to be mindful of these things.

• sefice
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks! I feel dumb. lol good to know! This was the only view I had so I couldn't really make out the plane changes. Makes a lot more sense now.
  • polymator
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol no problem. Growing up with pets helps with animal anatomy stuff :)
  • Sebeuroc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Very nice stuff so far. I don't have anything to add except, keep up the good work!
  • sefice
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    A short timelapse of the workflow on the accessories
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyjwC80JXD8
  • Shanana
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanana polycounter lvl 6
    Waauw man, you did all of that in Zbrush :open_mouth: Really cool to see you just sculpt through all the stuff I would've modeled in Max. Very rock'n'roll, sir!

Can't wait to see the rest of the progress, it was looking so nice last time I saw it..
  • Leinadien
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinadien vertex
    I have nothing against your work but that concept could definitely be improved. Like what's the point of the sash, if she has any genitals to cover up they would be at the back of the cat. Also that white cloth looks a bit unconvential, maybe something like this would look better? That hair also looks a bit too pretty in my opinon, girl next door haircut. Good progress though. :)

• sefice
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks @Shana I have a harder time making those shapes traditionally and I avoid switching programs when I can to keep the flow on!

Here's an update. Pretty big jump from where I left off, wanted to catch up with the others :) Proceeded to do the bakes and rough materials. The eyes are just a procedural placeholder. I will definitely consider adding more cat-like eyes and still a lot of work to do with the fur.

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    wow, this is turning out beautiful, love the human part of her. I dont know if the lower body is still placeholder but the cat part could still use some work. would be a shame having a big style/skill change from the human to the feline part of her.
  • TomGT
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    This is looking awesome man. Especially the human part. Super gorgeous.

I agree with @lotet on the feline part that its lacking the subtle nuances in the anatomy of a cat/tiger/panther. I'm no expert in animal anatomy, but what people have suggested seem to be spot on. Keep up the great work!

• sefice
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    @TomGT @lotet
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I haven't done the maps on the lower body yet so stay tuned for that. It might be the most challenging element on this piece so I'll save it for last :)
  • polymator
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll just echo what everyone else is saying. This is gorgeous!
    Is the AO turned off? There seems to be a lack of contact shadows (especially noticeable with the necklace and neck strap)
  • sefice
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    @polymator Thanks, I appreciate it. :) AO is on thought I the bake did not include the occlusion from the jewelry. I'll have to fix those. ^^"

Small update. Did some work on the eyes. I made 3 versions, I'm leaning towards 2, but I figured you guys here could help me decide :)

• TomGT
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    @sefice number 2 is easily my favorite. Has a feline feel to the eyes while still looking rather human. 
  • Funky Bunnies
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    this is lookin fantastic, Joe :)
    Humanoid cat eyes are tough, but I think 2 is a pretty good compromise to keep it reading well at a distance :+1:
    I can't wait to see the rest come together, man! ^^
  • polymator
    Offline / Send Message
    Number 2 from me too. Maybe if you're planning to rig her you could have her eye textures blend from 2 to 1, for when she's angry or doing the cat snarl to threaten someone.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    yep, definitely nr 2.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Looks good.  The one thing that sticks out to me is the cloth top she wears.  It feels like it is floating and there is no weight behind it.  I know in the concept it is pretty flat across but in 3d it doesn't feel realistic.  There's a piece of metal/gold in the middle, but it isn't weighting down the cloth at all.  There is the support strap around the neck but it isn't pulling on the cloth where it connects, it just sort of...plugs in.  You have some lines on the side as if it is tight or being pulled, but when you get to the breasts there is no evidence that the garment is tight at all.  There's no skin compression, no draping or tightness.  It's just kind of floating there.  That being said, I think the skin looks fantastic.  The human element has a ton of work put into it and it shows.  The cat area needs some more work as right now the proportions feel less cat/human hybrid and more like human cosplaying four legged cat at convention.

Keep up the great work though.  I'm looking forward to where you go with this.
  • sefice
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    @Tom@Funky Bunnies @lotet 2 It is! Thanks guys!

@praetus
    I get what you mean, completely agree on that one. I sculpted dimples/creases on her skin to reflect the tightness of her top but somehow got lost in the final bake. I will try to get to that and make it better suggest that it's actually wrapped on her body. Thanks for that, definitely helps!
  • sefice
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    Just finished wrapping my head around doing hair. Took a lot of trial and error but I think I got it where I want it to. Still have to do the ponytail.

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Hair is looking great!
    but since @praetus mentioned the floatiness of the "boob cloth" is really bugging me too now. :/
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Looking sick, dude! I love the direction of stylization you're taking this. Good stuff.
  • Shanana
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanana polycounter lvl 6
    Waauw man, the hair is amazing!

I see the top thingy too, tighten it around the breasts. Especially the bottom of the boob peeping out feels too loose, like it doesn't really have any pressure on it. 

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor underboob bandeau
    Afbeeldingsresultaat voor underboob bandeau

These, for me, look better. The top follows the shape of the squeezed boob nicely.
    Also (like the others already said) some interaction of the straps with the cloth would be nice.

Apart from this, your character is coming along greatly. The face - one of the most important things I think - looks gorgeous. Keep it up! <3
  • sefice
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    @lotet
    @Makkon
    @Shanana
    Thanks guys, and thanks for the tip Shana! I'd better get to it. It's starting to bug me too. Hahaha
  • sefice
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    I pulled her bandeau a bit to suggest some tightness. What do you guys think?

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Its Looking better. would love to see a thicker/softer edge at the bottom and top of the piece.

made a quick PO.

• Denzule
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzule polycounter lvl 2
    It looks a lot better, I can't wait to see what you do with the feline part of the sculpt. I also agree with lotet, you can faintly see some of that going on in the concept art, and it also gives the cloth more substance.
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    The hair looks amazing!
    And I like what you did with the catty eyes! Good work Joe!
  • Sebeuroc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Looking dope! I really love the style you're going with.

As for crits, I agree with lotet on the cloth. Also, the belt leather on the waist feels too clean.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, I think the belt is too reflective, and is missing the leather texture. Would be pretty simple fix, though.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Joe, this is looking fantastic.  While I really like her face, it feels like a lot of ethnicity from your sculpt is gone.  Again, she looks gorgeous but lacks the unique ethnicity from the concept.  Also, did you not get to baking the panther body/legs?  It seems pretty nonexistent in your latest screenshots.
  • sefice
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for all the feedback! Appreciate you guys taking the time.

@Denzule
    I'll definitely get to that. :)

@Elithenia
    Thanks Sanna!

@Sebeuroc
    @PyrZern
    Good point. I'll what see I can do.

@slosh
    I get what you mean about the face. I'm not quite sure how to bring that back. I thought the features would transfer well from the high to the low poly but I think there are more things I have to consider if I want to keep the ethnicity, otherwise I'd have to stick to what I've got.

I did bake the normals for the cat body. I might have to reinforce the sculpt if that's the case. It also might be the specularity washing it out too much. I'll have an update soon though and you can better inspect from there.
  • seimax
    Offline / Send Message
    seimax polycounter lvl 7
    she's amazing !! awesome work man, if i were to correct something , i would go as lotet said , ad a little volume on the edge of the breast white cloth, keep it up man ! 
  • bryan77
    Offline / Send Message
    bryan77 polycounter lvl 3
    Dang this is turning out really nice!
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    One thing about ethnicity is that you really have to exaggerate.  Usually even then, it scales way back when u do the texture.  Polypainting on the high can sometimes help.  I think the makeup kind of detracts from the ethnicity as well.  Still, she looks great so not an issue in terms of having a great character model!
  • sefice
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    I'm calling this done! There might be some things I did not approach efficiently but I think it's time to move on.

These are all just beauty renders for now. I'll be uploading some more shots in the future but I think this is enough to show.

I can't express my gratitude enough to the awesome peeps in the workshop @almighty_gir
    @Nathanramsey @Shanana @Elithenia @RuiShi @TLishman I will take all that I've learned and push on for the next piece! Thanks everyone!

And thank you to the polycount peeps for taking the time to comment and critique on our work. Stay awesome!

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    excellent finish!
  • amirabd2130
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    turned out awesome. congrats :+1:
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    The animal portion needs a lot of work honestly, but the female portion is gorgeous!  Fantastic work Joe!
  • TomGT
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Awesome finish man! Superb.