Home General Discussion

Is it just me or is Autodesk putting 3DS Max aside?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Blade113 polycounter lvl 8
I know something like this probably appears all the time, but don't you feel like AD are kinda focusing on Maya more? I mean, Maya is even featured on the main page as a tool for game dev. Max is not mentioned anywhere on their site. 
Of course it's not all about mentioning on the site (obviously, lol), but I don't even remember the last big update of Max. 2017 version is a piece of crap IMO.

Replies

• Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's just you.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    they did it before with Softimage what's stopping them from doing it again?
  • Blade113
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 said:
    ikr
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    There has been a trend over the last couple of years to market max towards arch-viz more than entertainment. Though with Autodesk who knows what's actually going on. This kind of uncertainty is exactly why I steer clear of them.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    It's just you.
    It's not.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    fdfxd2 said:
    Maybe the fact that 3DS Max has similar market share as Maya where as Softimage didn't even come even remotely close to them?

Remember when someone started a rumor in 2012 that Autodesk was planning to kill off 3DS Max? And yet here we are...
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    fdfxd2 said:
    Maybe the fact that 3DS Max has similar market share as Maya where as Softimage didn't even come even remotely close to them?
    Softimage could have over taken both in market share if Autodesk put their marketing might behind it. Softimage was bought with the specific goal of shutting it down so it could not compete.
  • minus0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minus0 polycounter lvl 3
    @Blade113 , i agree with you. we are not the only one who believes that AD doesnt care about Max anymore. But the majority can be wrong, someone can say. True, but in this case, i think the "majority" is right. I for one have tested several versions of max(latest ServicePack installed) on several systems. 3dsMax2017 is a mess, even with SP2 installed. Mental ray engine crashed very often no matter how simple or complex the scene was. So far the most stable versions i have tested are v2013 with PUD6 installed and v2016 with SP3 installed. Even v2015 behaved weird and unstable at some point.
    I dont want to sound like a jerk(because i am not), but i think Autodesk is aware that many customers are unhappy, and yet they(autodesk) continue releasing the product even if it is unfinished. They have the arrogance to LET THE CUSTOMERS WORK FOR THEM, FOR FREE, as the testers. How sick is that? selling a product that is not finished, waiting for the users to apply, to give them the bugs found, and then releasing the patch in order to fix the errors/bugs, proves what i have said above, it also proves what Balde113 said in his first post.
    An unnecessary analogy for most of us(but i think necessary for pedro amorim), is similar to a company who sells cars, unfinished(untested) cars(with engine problems or steering system problems), expecting the customer to find those problems while driving the car, after he already bought the car, of course. It may sounds absurd but i believe it is a fair analogy.
    Lets face it, the product is not finished, and they knew it, yet they have release it.....because money. It is a tradition, every 6 months they must release a "new" version of Max, no matter if its not....working properly.
    No harm done, the users are working as testers, for free, but by the time the current version will be 100% repaired, the next new version will be released. ;)
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Aabel said:
    Softimage could have over taken both in market share if Autodesk put their marketing might behind it.
    Not really. I'm sure Softimage was great, it might have even been better than Max/Maya but unfortunately Maya and Max are still deeply entrenched in studios and they're not going to switch simply because marketing.
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    What's the difference between Max and Maya? 
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    This rumor has been floating around  since  Autodesk  swallowed up Maya...when was that ?10 years ago..15?(2005..so yeah about 11 years) Rest assured that Autodesk will do to Max what it has been  doing to Max since 2009- adding things no one asks for, and ignoring problems their user base has been begging them to fix for a decade.

Max rules, Maya is for sissy animators

• VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Autodesk's big money market is architecture, engineering, and construction (AEC) and they all heavily use Max. Max and Maya might be close in numbers for the media and entertainment side of Autodesk, but Max absolutely dominates on the AEC side.

Would Max become more heavily tied to arch viz in the future? That is a posibility, but I don't see it as a platform going away.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    VelvetElvis is spot on.

Even in a recent poll on polycount, there were 38% Max users and 33% Maya Users (of 342 votes). I could possibly see Autodesk advertising Maya as the goto tool for Games & Film in the future. But again that's only a relatively small slice of the cake.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't we have the same conversation about Maya some years back?
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Aabel said:
    Softimage could have over taken both in market share if Autodesk put their marketing might behind it.
    Not really. I'm sure Softimage was great, it might have even been better than Max/Maya but unfortunately Maya and Max are still deeply entrenched in studios and they're not going to switch simply because marketing.
    Pipelines change when presented with a compelling reason to do so. Marketing should help present those compelling reasons.

Autodesk acquiring and shutting down Softimage may be better for the industry in the long run as it freed the Softimage developers to move into more productive development environments than Autodesk.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    I think Max has been 'put aside' for game development, to a degree. In particular, to me the lack of an Indie pricing scheme for Max indicates that Autodesk isn't as focused on keeping it a primary tool for game development, compared to Maya. If/when they come out with 'Max for Indie Game Devs', then it will be back in action.

And as others have mentioned, it's still going strong in terms of Arch vis etc, and it is still used in lots of AAA game studios.
  • spahr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Ive worked on a few teams that use Maya, some that use Max, and the sentiment on the Max team was 'when do we migrate over to Maya?'. Not sure why. The EA teams I worked on eventually shifted, and another small team. Ive been noticing lots of European studios working in Max and wont budge, so I wouldnt think its going anywhere. But it does seem like Maya is a game development tool, where as max feels like a modeling tool. Im trying to get off both and just use Zbrush.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    What's the difference between Max and Maya? 
    You don't need to know

all you need to know is that 3ds max is maximum and the mayans died because they killed themselves.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Aabel said:
    Pipelines change when presented with a compelling reason to do so. Marketing should help present those compelling reasons.
    I wish it were like that. The latest AD presentation I attended looked more like "who cares about your pipeline? - look how great Max works with Stingray! How about you use Stingray?". The idea that there are other engines and pipelines already in existence at many studios, and that switching isn't always trivial was quite lost on them.
  • spacefrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 15
    fdfxd2 said:

Remember when someone started a rumor in 2012 that Autodesk was planning to kill off 3DS Max? And yet here we are...
    Max installbase is several times bigger than Maya's. This does not mean that those installations  are used regurarily, as Max comes in all possible Autodesk bundles , whereas Maya comes only in a couple. And rumor spreading about Max's death was a popular hobby back then, partly even coming from inside. Don't forget that Autodesk is a huge beast, where different departments might work only in their own interest, even if that would mean hurting other departments of the same company.
    But the focus for Maya targeting the games section seems to be pretty obvious: Maya LT , and finally they even got rid of any serious renderer license that can do batch rendering ( No Mental Ray in Maya 2017 ). And that statement by minus0 that Max 2017 would be a mess is pretty much his own opinion. Maybe it's Mental ray that's instable ( no wonder as AD wants to cut their ties with Nvidia any way) but claiming that Max 2017 is a mess is BS
    As far as rumor goes there is a SP3  in the works which should iron out some of the left bugs ( you bet ther still be some ) but other than that it's a pretty great release ( the physical material alone is a great gift )
    And that 3ds Max is fully supported by Autodesk ( as Maya is ) and will be over the next decade at least, is especially apparent as it sits in EACH of the three new Industry collections: ( AEC, Product Design and M&E collection), whereas Maya only sits in the M&E collection

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    spacefrog said:
    Max installbase is several times bigger than Maya's. This does not mean that those installations  are used regurarily, as Max comes in all possible Autodesk bundles , whereas Maya comes only in a couple. 
    I am talking about surveys of developers about what they use, not what they have installed. Even on polycount, a  survey posted here back in April had 3DS Max and Maya basically equal in usage.

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Hmmm, I have been using Max 2017 SP1 & 2 and found it pretty rock solid. Not sure I see  the mess people are talking about. Using UE4 or Unity for screen captures or keyshot for product pics means I havent used MentalRay for a while. It never worked out of the box easily because its a technical render engine, just like VRay and needs a bit of study first. I like the new 2017 interface and as far as features we dont need I use CAT and PolyDraw alot! Why use topogun when you can switch between retopo and a full modelling app with a right click? ProBoolean is a godsend and the uv unwrap seems to be working really well.

Where I taught we used C4D because they had a special deal for schools, soon as AD made Max free for students I convinced the school to switch (which took all of 5 minutes) so I was turning out about 50 students per year who used Max. The private sector customers I instruct now that have used Maya find 3DSMax easier to use because they say everything is easier to find. I cant say. I am used to Max so I am not objective. Perhaps AD is pushing Maya because the customer base for Max is so large and it will appreciate the improvements made yearly without the aid of advertising, and they only seek to gain newer customers through Maya. So just more clients overall instead of a shift in software. Big companies also have to allocate resources but I have never had the impression that Max is standing still. 

This crit seems to come up every now and then, I never understood it.
  • CJFerguson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJFerguson polycounter lvl 7
    Every day I use modo I'm happier that I abandoned autodesk!
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    As a tech artist Max 2017 is very feature rich. MCG modifier and animation controllers are the start of something amazing. After a couple of years of weak python support it's finally ready for prime time. Geodesic voxel binding for the skin modifier works great.
  • Blade113
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea, I'm thinking about throwing the whole Autodesk away and go for permanent Modo Indie linence for about 280 bucks on Steam.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Blade113 said:
    yea, I'm thinking about throwing the whole Autodesk away and go for permanent Modo Indie linence for about 280 bucks on Steam.
    I didn't go with Modo, but I did drop all things Autodesk and it's definitely made things better for me.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I've said it many a time, I first heard this rumor in 2003.  It's going to be exciting to post on Polycount for the 20 year anniversary of the Autodesk is going to cancel Max rumor.  On a side note, my facebook feed is being inundated with "Make Worlds Make Games 3DS Max" adverts
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    It's going to be exciting to post on Polycount for the 20 year anniversary of the Autodesk is going to cancel Max rumor.
    I hear they're going to burn a big pile of Softimage DVDs as a ritual sacrifice to the Autodesk gods to keep the rumor mill burning for another 20 years.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    I think with xsi and Maya the emphasis to start fresh with a modern architecture was pretty exciting 17 years ago. Particularly in the case of xsi allowing new technologies to be developed a lot faster with less hassle. And in the case of Maya having the whole app built on top of its scripts folder where just about everything under the hood was accessible and easily found with a txt editors find in files feature as everything was echoed in the script editor.

Autodesk doesn't just acquire and destroy. A lot of tech gets folded in when acquired?

Max going by the wayside is not the worst thing in the world.
    As it might be time to again start something new from scratch. implementing a new architecture foundation that doesn't have that added onto over several years feeling.

I'd like to see Stingray "folded in" to a new paradigm or at least Maya to the point where it wasn't a competing Engine... But simply Maya's Realtime engine. Viewport 3.0!
    Instead of art to engine... Art and engine?
    Where connections and set driven keyand attributes and the DCC development logic could drive real time development logic for prototyping as content creation was building or powerful enough to be compiled as a realtime interactive for publication.

Most likely that much power under the hood integrated completely would probably have to come from a ground up overhaul?
    But as far as I know Autodesk still has bragging rights to a pretty large brain trust to make it happen?
    If not...
    I wish one of the competing Engines would do the same in reverse? DCC content development in engine development married as it were?
    Would make for some powerful ease in rigging and deformation as realtime interactive ideas!
    And I think revolutionary?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    I think Max has been 'put aside' for game development, to a degree. In particular, to me the lack of an Indie pricing scheme for Max indicates that Autodesk isn't as focused on keeping it a primary tool for game development, compared to Maya. If/when they come out with 'Max for Indie Game Devs', then it will be back in action.

And as others have mentioned, it's still going strong in terms of Arch vis etc, and it is still used in lots of AAA game studios.

i've been told that autodesk also expressed this intent more or less publicly: to keep max for archivz, design, etc and focus maya on entertainment and that they did so several years ago at developer events, around the 2010 releases. their selection of features ever since seems to back up this divide - to me anyway.
    which also explains why max is losing ground in games, you don't need much of a pipeline to model and export static content - and animation and dynamics are maya's domain more than ever. so the choice for studio-wide app seems pretty straightforward.

• McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I haven't used Maya for a very long time, not too fond of the UI, but doesn't 3DS Max still have better modelling tools for polygon and lowpoly work?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I know Max is currently a bloated mess, but I think gobbling up other programs in the past was made max so great (A lot of those additions seem dated as hell now, but they were amazing back then)

Polyboost (Graphite), Character Studio, Mental Ray.

Think about it this way: If Max gobbled up and integrated:
    - HeadUs UV Layout
    - Knald
    - Bodypaint
    - Hairfarm
    - Popcorn Time

It would be even harder for people to give up.

Max is in this unfortunate position where they have to support too much legacy crap, and they probably shouldn't add to the bloat. But the bloating is what always made Max indispensable.

• skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Autodesk needs to do a clean slate with max, purge all the legacy useless stuff or have a legacy mod option and start pushing into the future
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    McGreed said:
    I haven't used Maya for a very long time, not too fond of the UI, but doesn't 3DS Max still have better modelling tools for polygon and lowpoly work?
    These days, the differences are extremely minimal, no matter what the fan boys of each may say. Especially with the new improved bevel tool in Maya, I think they're basically equal, but each definitely has their own positives.

But you know how these conversations tend to go.

On the topic of Max going away...
    I'm guessing they'll make a new program, before they think of getting rid of max or Maya. They probably don't want to risk losing the market-share that is Max. So, unless they could replace is adequately, it seems unlikely.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Joopson said:
    McGreed said:
    These days, the differences are extremely minimal, no matter what the fan boys of each may say. Especially with the new improved bevel tool in Maya, I think they're basically equal, but each definitely has their own positives.

But you know how these conversations tend to go.

On the topic of Max going away...
    I'm guessing they'll make a new program, before they think of getting rid of max or Maya. They probably don't want to risk losing the market-share that is Max. So, unless they could replace is adequately, it seems unlikely.
    The absence of modifiers in Maya is still huge.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    @Grimwolf You say that because you're used to that method of working. I've never had the want for modifiers, in the Max sense of the word. In fact, I always found the modifier system to be clunky, going from Maya to Max in college for a few months. But again, that's because I'm used to Maya's method of working. Modifiers definitely have their purpose, as does Maya's history system. They're different ways of working.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    The thing is, if they kill Max, who says all those users automatically switch to Maya? 
    They would risk losing a quite large portions of their customers to modo, blender, cinema 4d, etc.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    But to be honest.. it's unlikely max is going to die anytime soon

Softimage died because autodesk never wanted softimage, the software

They wanted the engineers behind it

so they just bought the entire company and took the engineers.

3ds max was from the start designed to be autodesk's flagship entertainment program
    so.. yeah

No worries man

I still wouldn't use it over blender or modo though.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    lefix said:
    The thing is, if they kill Max, who says all those users automatically switch to Maya? 
    They would risk losing a quite large portions of their customers to modo, blender, cinema 4d, etc.
    When they killed Softimage they assumed everyone was going to just roll over and buy maya/max licenses. In some cases that happened, in some it didn't.
    fdfxd2 said:

Softimage died because autodesk never wanted softimage, the software

They wanted the engineers behind it

so they just bought the entire company and took the engineers.

The engineers left. Fabric is all ex-Softimage, others went to SideFX. Autodesk just wanted to kill Softimage, it wasn't about acquiring anything other than a smaller marketplace and giving people fewer choices of where to spend their money.
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    lefix said:
    From what I've gathered just being a member of a few CG forums out here and lurking them from time to time, I've kinda gotten this consensus that Max's biggest strength is purely in its modelling tools and can confidently say that if Max were to just disappear off the face of the earth and suddenly lose all support from AD, most Max users would probably go to Modo over any of the other choices you have listed. C4D's modelling tools are juvenile in comparison to Max's but then again, Cinema's way of animating makes Max look like a bloated legacy application you might've heard about in some tech articles from the last decade. It feels to me like it might just be too much of a financial risk to just leave Max behind completely, but with just how much absorption happens with AD, that fear is grounded in reality.
  • RabidKitten
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love max, always have, but they could kill it off, and I'm not sure it would make all that much of a difference.  One can just use the last version and its poly tools will still be intact for as long as the internet exists and you can export OBJs/FBX to do the only thing max is the best at, polymodeling. 
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    pls kill this thread. its so irrelevant. software vs software especially when it comes to the "Death of Max" is a dead horse on this forum
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Sigh. This again. I didn't bother reading all the replies, so forgive me if this was said earlier but I would guess Max probably has a bigger market share than Maya due to it being used so much in architecture, oil and gas, simulation, etc. I've been doing 3d work professionally for over 10 years in those fields and have never seen a company or colleague in it using Maya. And that's not even factoring in that it IS still used in games and to a lesser extent films. So Max is not going anywhere. 
  • noodlemantra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think that 3dsmax is going anywhere any time soon. It's too much of a cash cow atm. I do think, however, that they might eventually bet on one horse to win the race. IMO, it just makes more sense. Focused resources. Focused efforts. Focused audience. It won't happen overnight though. You 3dsmax users don't have anything to worry about just yet. Personally, I think that they could probably keep supporting both 3dsmax and Maya for good 10 or 15 years more. Until overlap turns to redundancy.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Hm, i do wonder though, what could be really so different in 10, 15 years? If they pull either of those two apps towards eachother too much, users might start switching to blender, modo or other apps anyway. At least i don't see maya becoming so similar to max, that those users would just switch to max. Or wise versa. I mean, just changing the view cube made people complain or at least in my case, made it kinda useless (in maya).

So i'm not sure they really want to do that. With this in mind, i don't see much of a difference if they kill any of them in a year, or in 10 years.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think there was a pretty massive turn over on the 3dsmax team about three years ago and that slowed whatever they had in development and stunted further growth.

If I'm counting right, the 3dsmax team went through three project managers in 3 years and lost some of their senior developers that had been around for a longtime. With as... "cobbled together" as max's features are, they are where probably the only ones that could actually understand how max is put together and how it can move forward.

They have replaced those developers so they are willing to reinvest and rebuild but, the knowledge they lost is probably not coming back easily. I don't think the new people are quite up to speed and it's going to take some time. But still, if there was a time to kill it, that was probably it.
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    Max 2016 + 2017 are a clear display that the reformed team care and are doing a lot more than the old team under Ken.P. 
    There hasn't really been anything specifically for game development (only thing was the game exporter in 2017) which is why people on this forum might feel the development has slowed but i can't see it disappearing anytime soon. 

You have to understand the Dev team are a great bunch of people and want to do and are capable of doing all kinds of awesomeness but they are restricted in various ways by Autodesk.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed.
    With the compressed development cycle, to meet the demands of Autodesk's subscription model and yearly releases, it tends to lead them to focus on small, incremental progress that can be a marketing point in "what's new".

So they focus a lot of effort on things that they could get done in small sprints instead of focusing on larger issues or changes and then release those big shifts, whenever they're done. That's not to say they aren't working on big things and not overhauling long neglected backend stuff, they are. But those things can't all be done in a compressed dev cycle and they have to lay out enough breadcrumbs to keep people interested enough to keep up their subscriptions, so it ends up splitting their focus and slowing development even more and staffing issues don't make that process any smoother.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp said:

i've been told that autodesk also expressed this intent more or less publicly: to keep max for archivz, design, etc and focus maya on entertainment and that they did so several years ago at developer events, around the 2010 releases. their selection of features ever since seems to back up this divide - to me anyway.
    which also explains why max is losing ground in games, you don't need much of a pipeline to model and export static content - and animation and dynamics are maya's domain more than ever. so the choice for studio-wide app seems pretty straightforward.

They spun off 3dsmax Design to focus on arch-vis while the core 3dsmax team was focused on entertainment. They mostly did that because of the entertainment users (mostly game devs) complaining about a lack of focus on features they wanted. They've since s-can'ed the split product approach and they are back to one version.

They still seem pretty focused on entertainment but like I said earlier they've been rocked by staffing issues and a focus on upgrading backend, behind the scenes functionality. The general consensus is that unless max has a stable platform to work from and a strong base to build on top of, it's pretty useless to attempt to duct-tape on new features. 
  • swann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swann polycounter lvl 4
    <rant start>
    It's amazing how people will find any excuse to justify to themself that Autodesk didn't fucked up completely 3ds max and that's the reason why they can't make it good app anymore. And they will even pay for it. It's like watching Windows 8 fanboys all over again.

You can spend another 10 years fooling yourself that it will change for better, or start using programs that actually make your life simpler and give faster results. Don't try to tell me that in the age of VR/AR/Wearable we will be still forced to use shitty, half-backed program. If so, then hey, why don't we go back to using hammer and chisel instead?

Max is dead. Not because people stopped using it, but because it will take years to bring it source code to today's standards and make it actually good application again.
    <rant end>
     ;)