Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[FINISHED!] Engra Deathsword, Warhammer fanart

tda
polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
tda polycounter lvl 16
Latest ~
He's finally done. This was by far and away my most ambitious project I've ever attempted. I'm spent haha, time for a little break! Huge thanks to everyone who commented, all the critiques, and everyone who came to chill on twitch, it all helped a huge amount. I doubt i would have seen this through without the feedback I got.

I made a fun little vid using toolbag 3's new animation stuff, you can catch that here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWTLEsCk1iA
And as always there's more pics on Artstation - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/z6yN6

-------------

So this is a pretty huge project for me personally. Ever since i saw this piece by Adrian smith years ago i always wanted to make it but i knew i couldn't do it justice. Now i'm finally ready to bite the bullet and see if i can nail this.

Here's the concept, the single most badass piece of warhammer art there ever was

And here's where i'm at. Super early days yet but i want to get the thread rolling. Obviously the proportions of this guy are pretty insane but once the armor is on there it makes a lot more sense. I didn't spend too long on the anatomy as it's going to be mostly covered anyway, right now i'm trying to make sure everything fits and it all lines up with the concept. I'm just eyeballing it, i didn't bother to draw any orthos.

Feel free to crit it to death, even at this stage. I want this to be absolutely the best i can do :) Anatomy crits on the arms are especially welcome as they will be partially uncovered in the final.

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Cranking on the highpoly tonight. Trying to model fast and smart and not worry about pinches here and there. I know i'm going to be bashing this up a ton in zbrush so the surfaces can be a little gross for now. Posting this pic i'm already noticing loads of errors, weird how they only jump out right as i'm about to hit post :)

• jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    oh man, i love everything about this concept! cant wait to see what you come up with

• tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks jose!

I've been pushing on with the basic highpoly over the past 2 nights made some headway, trying to stick to the concept as closely as i can. Almost time to start some sculpt action, i can practically taste it. I'm also planning to spend some time this weekend checking proportions, make sure i'm on track before getting too detailed.

• gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    Fuck dude, this looks so badass! I love it! :D
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    @gfelton thanks dude! still a long way to go. some updates from the past few days ~

still heavy wip on the arms. anat crits especially welcome, dark denotes the areas that can't be seen so i'm not worring about those

• Eleszar1
    Offline / Send Message
    Eleszar1 polycounter lvl 11
    looks great keep going mate :)
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks @Eleszar1!

I've been hitting some of the adornments and weapons tonight, got a bunch of stuff ready for sculpting. I also dropped the cash on quadchamfer today and HOLY SHIT. I dunno how i ever did HP without it.

• almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master

For real though Engra is one of my favorite chaos warriors cover art of all time. Can't wait to see this done.
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    tda said:
    I also dropped the cash on quadchamfer today and HOLY SHIT. I dunno how i ever did HP without it.
    I've been meaning to do this as well after reading perna's novels he has about it. How...life changing was the experience of switching to QC? lol, I'm not so sure how to word that but does it really live up to its reputation?
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    lol gir, yeah dude adrian smith is a god amongst men. glad to have your eyes on the thread dude! :)

@gfelton It's just a great tool man. I think it's the flexibility it offers that i like more than any specific result that you can get from it. Like any tool it comes down to your own skill in the end. I'm no master of highpoly like pedro, perna, lesperance, tor (the list goes on) so I still get pinches and shit all over the place that i sometimes struggle to fix, need to up my hard surface game.

progress was frustratingly slow today. fixed a bunch of scale issues and some other boring junk. i don't wanna post without art tho so here's the sculpt base for that brutal ax.

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    niiice! one of my favorite warhammer illustrations ever. you better do it justice, looking good so far though :)
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    thanks @lotet, I'm gonna try my best!!
    Loose sculpt of the weapons is done, these guys need more details but i'll get to that later. I'll re-evaluate how much i like the blade of the sword and the face on the axe at that time, not a huge fan of either right now. Need to tweak some volumes i think. Happy with the pommel on the axe tho, came out just how i wanted. May need an extra tooth :)

• gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    Though it's not done yet, your work feels very canon, I'm absolutely loving all of the adornment on each weapon. Hope you add some etchings to the flatter portion of the axe blade as just leaving it naked would miss a great opportunity to add some really badass chaos details. Can't wait to see it done! :D
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks @gfelton, im glad you think so. I was going to make that dark flat area of the axe kinda just look like a raw slab of iron but i'll experiment with adding some details in there :)

latest WIP- just working on more accessories atm, not had a lot of time lately

• tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Some updates from the past few nights, getting a lot more of the sculpted details in there now, starting to come together. Still TONS to do but i'm having loads of fun. Gonna hit those feet with another pass soon i think.

• CB_Productions
    Offline / Send Message
    CB_Productions polycounter lvl 2
    Nice progress :) Really like the details in the weapons!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    wow, those weapons turned out great, esp the sword! are you free-handing the legs or looking at some other references for them?
    the warhammer online guys made a pretty good model of him that I think you should check out (also you can see the legs there)!
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    thanks guys. @lotet yeah i'm freestyling the legs. I remember fanboying over the WAR online model back when i used to play, it's still up on a fanserver from what i hear?! I had to restrain myself from getting hooked again. But yeah i intentionally avoided looking at that as ref for this 'cause i wanted to do my own take, but I totally rushed and made shitty feet. I plan to go back to max or a dynamesh blob tomorrow and make something else, something like this WAR online concept maybe. I still need to build out the full knee guard too so the skulls aren't floating and i want to get some leather and maille under some of the exposed sections as a hint of some more cladding. Plenty to work on!

anyway, today's efforts. only had a few hours to spare, but we got some rough handz on the go

• BucketOfNuggets
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    This is looking really awesome man, can't wait to see it finished!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    @tda - haha, yeah, that game really was awesome. cool to know there are still fan servers. :)

The concept art form WAR was amazing, probably the best information for cannon designs out there. If you want some more fancy feet designs this one is pretty cool too.  anyway, the hands look great, I know your far from done but maybe some more skinfolds on the finger joints could help ad some detail to the hands.
  • Mateus
    Offline / Send Message
    Mateus interpolator
    This guy is huge! Must be taking a lot of work. I'll fav this and just keep an eye since I don't have anything to add (as usual).
    Great work so far.
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Thank you so much for the encouragment guys. Seriously though, any and all crits are super super super welcome. Rip into it, I listen to everything.

@BucketOfNuggets Thanks dude! Appreciate it
    @lotet I've been getting the withdrawl chills looking at all the WAR online models and concepts for reference haha. And yeah man I will be hitting up more details on the hands for sure, thanks!
    @Mateus Dude, yeah, it's taking a while. Even so it feels slightly faster than my last piece because the design is already done. Faffing with design is the real time sink. Like these feet actually, come to think of it.

These fuckin feet. I had planned to sculpt up some of the severed head trophies he has tonight, but I spent so long trying to make a design for the feet that I liked... Finding something that fit with the existing concept and shape anguage, didn't look goofy/clown foot-ish AND also fit with the warhammer chaos vibe, without explicitly copying another design? After like 4 hours at it i only have this super basic thing because i kept trashing them, so I just stopped and turned in for the night. I'm still not sure about them but I prefer these to what I had before at least. Sleeeeeep

• amirabd2130
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    nice. looking forward to this.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    @tda - haha, I know right, you shouldn't have mentioned servers stil existing, now Im almost thinking of getting into it again haha.
    anyways, I am way to engaged into these feet designs. they are looking way better now, but I made a quick PO to maybe give you a suggestions.
    I think they look a bit thin/flat, maybe adding a sort of "sole" could help thickening them up maybe? I like the front spike a lot, also couldn't resist adding some chaos markings on it xD

• Mateus
    Offline / Send Message
    Mateus interpolator
    I like the sole thing!
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    I think @lotet 's idea works really well with the feet, you should try it!  
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    @lotet Great ideas man! I like the decorations and yeah it really needed some kind of sole. I did some quick experimenting based on your suggestions, i tried out a sole all around but i wasn't feeling it too much so i mixed some things around. I think i just want to have some gnarly metal at the front and a sort of heel at the back, but without the notched sole i drew into my own sketch. I felt like they had too much of a cowboy boot vibe going on in general so i thickened up all the shapes, made them come a bit closer to a biker style of boot. Kinda happy with it now.

Other than the feet i've only had time to work on some of the fetishes, I've just been so busy lately. Here's some snaps of them as they are right now. Looking at the concept i can't tell if the 2nd one is what i made or actually a goblet of some kind. I went with a head but I may go back and change this later if i fall out with it. Experimented a little with fibermesh as well.

• Mateus
    Offline / Send Message
    Mateus interpolator
    I like what you did to the feet, very good IMHO. 
  • Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Bolovorix ngon master
    Wow @tda, that sculpt is awesome! Love those Warhammer illustrations a lot too. Gonna sub so I can keep track of the progress on this guy. What are your plans for texturing? 
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    @Mateus @Bolovorix thanks dudes! Substance painter for the textures, for sure. Im hoping all the damage details i plan to add will pick up super well in the curvature maps and make for a tasty result

Some small progress. First pass of the bear pelt + cape combo, not totally satisfied yet. I've also spent a while putting lots of final level detail in to the shoulders and head that you totally can't see in this screenshot! I'm tempted to exaggerate the damage a little more but it might be too much when i bake. I think i just need to learn how to BPR better. I also figured out a chainmail micromesh for the backs of his knees which you totally can't see either! But i'll be using it elsewhere real soon

Things still to do :
    lots.

• skycity02
    Offline / Send Message
    skycity02 polycounter lvl 7
    amazing works, can't wait to see it textured :)
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    niice!
    Ive always had trouble getting fiber mesh looking any good, but that is looking pretty sweet!
    as for the details, its better/easier to exaggerate stuff and tone it down later, then the other way around.
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks @skycity02, @lotet. You're probably right about exaggerating now rather than later tbh. I'll probably wait until I have all the pieces detailed before I decide. Worked a bunch on the arms and hands tonight, shame that the "uncovered" flesh is almost completely obscured by the shoulder armour anyway :dizzy:

• tierzilla
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    oohhh yeahhh , i really like how the metal feels on the gauntlet !! mind to share your process? im also doing a warhammer character :proud:
    amazing , cant wait to see MORE!
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    @tierzilla thanks dude! I'll do a little breakdown for the next piece i detail out :)

Put in some more work on the arms tonight. I finished off the detail on the fleshy bits and added a strap which is maybe in the concept, maybe not.. but it helps that piece feel, well, strapped on :) I also detailed out the other unique vambrace, a load of stuff in the shoulders and made lots of things unique as opposed to a perfect mirror. Did some resizing here and there, slowly working my way down the subtools.

• Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Bolovorix ngon master
    That surface detail is really pulling everything together. Love the skin!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    got no crits, keep going! this is turning out badass!
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    thanks @Bolovorix @lotet . I didn't have a chance to work on this much over the weekend really, had a busy one. I did get some extra surface detail and stuff down on the helmet though, and it just occured to me i haven't shown his face yet so here's where that's at. Not sure if i want to go any further with it because honestly i dont know if i'm ever going to let it be uncovered (he looks totally wrong proportionally without his helmet) but it was fun to play with shapes.

• amirabd2130
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    oh man, look at all those details
    can't wait to see this textured
  • tierzilla
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    this keeps getting better and better , amazing!
  • Mateus
    Offline / Send Message
    Mateus interpolator
    Hey man, looking awesome! If you don't mind, I'd like to know if you model the armor pieces just in the position as they are right now, or do you model them separately and then place where they must be later? Hope my question makes sense.
  • samwoodart
    Offline / Send Message
    samwoodart polycounter lvl 7
    This is such an incredible sculpt, wow
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    @amirabd2130 , @tierzilla , @Mateus , @samwoodart - Thanks for the encouragment dudes!
    Mateus - I think I get what you mean and it depends on the program and the object, generally though I tend to work on pieces in their final position. If a piece is very symmetrical and I'm working in max I'll often build it off to one side, make an instance copy, position it then continue from there.

So, long time since the last update! I've been busy on a bunch of things (*cough* No Mans Sky) but since the last post I've almost completely finished off the legs, upperbody, most of the accessories and lots of other little bits and bobs. It's taking a long time to go in and a-symmetrically detail the whole thing, way longer than i thought it would. I could do it all in the textures but I want to do it in the sculpt mainly because I'd like to do a nice set of posed highpoly renders before I move on to the lowpoly. I also have a little pipe dream of sending this guy to ownage to get him printed, so I want there to be a ton of unique detail in there should that ever happen. But yeah, unique detail all over takes time. Lots and lots of it.

Anyway, enjoy this stupidly large BPR. If anyone has any recommendations about sweet matcaps for rendering with BPR I would love to hear, getting a nice result that shows off all the detail is kinda difficult.

• gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    God damn, he's gorgeous. I absolutely love the fact you added the trophies like the heads and medallions and what not, It gives him so much character. Haha shit, I remember when I played Age of Reckoning on a private server and my character was covered in those heads. Really cool that you added them :D
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    tda said:
    Anyway, enjoy this stupidly large BPR. If anyone has any recommendations about sweet matcaps for rendering with BPR I would love to hear, getting a nice result that shows off all the detail is kinda difficult.
    I would use the standard materials instead of the matcaps, because those will actually respond to the scene lighting properly. Setting up an extra light behind the character to create a rim light on the shadow side will help with popping out detail. I recommend saving out your light scene so you can use it again and again on WIP images.

Then, I would render the image with a few different materials, because different materials will bring out different features. After that, you can mix them in Photoshop to create a look you like. To finish off, you could throw on a gradient map to subtly colorize it.

Anyway, I'm really liking all the ornate details you're putting into this. Looking forward to see it finished! :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @tda
    How are you doing the gilding on the armor, like the arrows and rims of the shoulder pads and shin guards?  Do you subD model to place and make them, or is it all in Zbrush still with extractions or something?
  • Kihlstrand
    Offline / Send Message
    Kihlstrand polycounter lvl 7
    I'm so gonna follow this thread! I wanted to do this character too at some point, but it is a monster project! Keep pushing :)
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    super cool stuff!
    the siluette of the leg bothers me a lot though. way to streamlined and clean.
    needs some edges between the armorplates

blue is old and red my suggestion.

good work otherwise!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    NIce work, all the detail is looking dope, I honestly wouldnt worry that much about symmetry. did you know that even the transformers and the ironman suit is mirrored from the legs down? so if its good enough for them, I think your gonna be fine.

as for some crits. the head hanging from his left shoulder pad is looking a tad weird I think. either the skin should be looser, or tighter, but right now your in some strange in between. 

the next thing would be the goblet, thats not a goblet >,<  I really think you should fix it. This model is probably the most accurate portrail of Engra out there, escept for the goblet. and I think its important that you display him "correctly" if you know what I mean. 

here is an amazing piece of art I did to show what I mean :P 

anyways!
    Other then that its looking awesome, keep it up!

• Leinadien
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinadien vertex
    Since it's not too clear in that concept of yours what the legs are like it might be a good idea to look at some real armors, hips down look a bit odd to me.