Home Technical Talk

[Photoshop Extension] Lazy Save

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
TooLzor polycounter lvl 10
Well I made a new topic for this extension as the other one was partially from an old idea and I can keep this a bit cleaner
So, Here again is another Photoshop Extension for CS6/CC+(tested on 14 and 15 so far)

I introduce Lazy Save.

Lazy Save is another way to save out images from Photoshop quicker than having to deal with the save as file type.

Currently it supports Jpeg, PNG, Tiff and TGA file Types. I can of course add more if people want but I had started it for a non game/texture need. I got to the point of cursing a lot when having to save out icons or images from a PSD and having to select the same filetype multiple times

So, now this extension fills that gap for me and I figure maybe someone else might find it handy too :awesome: I made it as easy as I could to work with. 
https://youtu.be/_c0KQaJIWZQ

I hope people enjoy it and hey, as usual I'm up for adding more types if people want this was just the main ones that I use myself (outside of Tif as I don't usually use that someone just suggested it :tongue: )

http://travisevashkevich.com/LazySave.html

I also made a Discord server for being able to troubleshoot/communicate with users easier 
https://discord.gg/USBnrMa
Hope to see you guys there!

Versions:
V 1.7.0
-------
Both Donator and Free:
Decided to un-lazy myself and put the installer I use for Pixelmate in use for LazySave as well.

Donator Only:
Donators now have access to SuperPNG for channel packing. This makes it so you can have an actual alpha channel to pack into (regular png is just transparency)

V 1.6.6
-------
Fixed bug where resizing wouldn't work with Channel Packing if selected.

V 1.6.5
-------
Fixed bug in both versions where trying to save in selected group mode while NOT having a group selected resulted in folder stream being created 
instead of just the image being saved...

V 1.6.4
-------
Redid where settings are saved so Lazy Save shouldn't required users to run in Admin mode
-I've had reports this affects drag and dropping files into PS in admin mode

Donators:
If you're using UDP's in the default location (not setting it to a custom spot)
You'll have to manually set the custom location OR copy them from the Adobe/PSVersion/Presets/Scripts/LazySave/UDP folder to 
Win:  AppData/Roaming/LazySave/
Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/LazySave/

V.1.6.3 (BIG UPDATE)
--------
Donator Only:
-------------
Auto Detect TGA Bit Depth (Toggle) added in TGA settings.
-Works for auto Detecting Alpha Channels in all export Modes. Useful in channel packing so you don't have to change bit depth manually each time

CC Versions
-------------
Removed Mode changing from Settings Window and it is now available directly in the pane via the flyout menu (where you say close tab/ tab group etc.)
This was done to make mode switching easier and more intuitive with less downtime/clicks and traveling around the canvas
--See this tweet for visual explanation ->

All Versions:
-------------
-Added Stack Traces to alerts in crashes. If something crashes now it should tell you what the last place it was before it crashed so you can tell me easier.
-Channel Packing can now pack with naming conventions via putting your usual RGBV groups inside an Orange group that has the name you want your image to have (group wise)
--See this tweet for visual explanation ->
-Added alert when you don't have an open document and when you don't have a saved document (no longer doesn't do anything when hitting buttons on non saved doc)
-Added Open Image After Save (extra settings tab) which will open the saved image inside PS after a save

Bug Fixes:
-------------
-Fixed bug in Group Contents mode where Saving out layer names WITH relative paths wouldn't actually save and would silently fail.

V 1.6.2
--------
October 14/2016
Fixed naming issues with various modes.

V 1.6.1
--------
October 14/2016
Added Extra Settings Tab to settings/UDP.
-Extra settings allow users to set relative paths for their image saving.

Added What You See Is What You Get Mode (WYSIWYG)
-This will allow users to save out whatever is on their screen without having to make a group. But this means that you will get an image based on your PSD/Custom Name

Added Custom Pathing for UDP
-You can now set a path for where your UDP's will be stored (great for people using laptop/desktops or team settings)

Added Group Only toggle in Extra Settings
-This will make it so ONLY what is inside the selected group(s) gets saved out.

Added Text to Settings so you can see what your file path is without having to go to the folder (mainly because of relative paths possibility)

Fixes:
---
Fixed Resizing. Should now work in all modes correctly

V 1.6
--------
October 10/2016
==Lazy Save Donated Version Changes==:
Fixed Group Visiblity after multi export.  (used to set all used groups to off for visibility after running. This is now fixed) (Lazy Save Donated Version ONLY)
User Defined Presets(UDP) are a go! (UDP Available in Lazy Save Donated Version ONLY)
-Want to quickly change your setup/folder/naming conventions with even less clicks? Now you can.
-With UDP you can define your settings for different things like what output folder to use with what image settings/naming conventions etc.

==Lazy Save All Versions==:
Settings are now retained across documents and photoshop sessions.
-Settings are JSON instead of PS's built in one which wasn't reliable and would not remember your settings all the time.
-Added Windows Batch script to install to the default PS location (instead of users having to manually do it)

V1.5.5
August 28/2016
-Multi Image exporting is now available in the Donated version of Lazy Save. 
--You can select multiple groups and hit the image button and it will export each group :)

-Added toggle for group exporting to make it export from bottom to top or top to bottom. This will make it so you can have your files exported to your liking :)

V1.5
Aug 15/2016
-Implemented Channel Packing! (Woo!). This is available by using the Layer Colors Red, Green, Blue and Violet(Alpha Channel Color)
--To access Layer Colors, right click a group and at the bottom it says Red, Green, Blue etc. 
RGB packing can be done in JPG/PNG and TGA
RGB Alpha packing can ONLY be done in TGA
--Packing Combinations Available:
1. To Pack one texture and an Alpha -> Color the group you want to have full RGB -> Red.  Color your Alpha channel group ->Violet.
2. To Pack R/G/B/A with individual textues -> Color whatever group you want with it's respective Red/Green/Blue/Violet (Alpha is optional) 
See the video here if you need help understanding 
-Fix bug with Resizing. Works again.

V 1.4
July 31/2016
-Created a fallback in the case that my website goes down and the user still has internet connection
The checks now do ->see if online, if online check to see if it can load 1px image from my website. If they can, load online page, else load offline page
-Settings has gotten extra tabs added to organize new and incoming features easier
-Added Possibility to override File name when saving images out. Toggle on and fill in text box in settings.
-Added Group Layer Exporting for JPG/PNG and TGA image types (doesn't make sense to do it on Tiff afaik)
--Select your group(s) to export the layers from. This will NOT go into the child groups and will not export children from an also selected child group (selected parent and another group inside for example)
--This is to make sure things get exported correctly and without having to account for sub group naming and such.

V1.3
July 3/2016
-Updated Icons thanksk to my friend Mad on GameDevLeague
-Added Bug Report button
-Free versions have Support Me button 
-CC versions online use a hosted webpage as their presentation so I can change graphics and 
let users know of updates etc. easier
-CC versions have packaged offline version as well so no net means they can keep using Lazy Save

-All Supported Image types now have their control options available in the settings panel. 

June 6/2016
-Added toggle to Settings to turn on and off alerts on Save
-Changed big part of the scripts to make it so there is less copy pasting around them. This should make it easier to do patches/updates
quicker later
-Added Image Save settings to Readme

June 2/2016
Initial release

Replies

• CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Another Photoshop Script, on a roll and I haven't even started :frown::smile:
    How is your C++ knowledge, you've got a gem of knowledge with C++ :smile:

Ps. Were you effected by the Fire ?
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Another Photoshop Script, on a roll and I haven't even started :frown::smile:
    How is your C++ knowledge, you've got a gem of knowledge with C++ :smile:

Ps. Were you effected by the Fire ?
    Thanks for the appreciation.
    C++ was actually the first language I learned in uni and I've only been going since 2010.

Haven't done c++ in PS though, these extensions were all in js/extendscript.

Yeah actually I just got my car back today which I got a month before the fire happened. It was in my friends place that I was living with's driveway... The house is gone.

To be honest, these extensions and such have been a great distraction for me and has made it easier to keep my mind off it. The area is better than it was a week ago when i was up with my brother to retrieve his truck... It was majorly smokey and was hard to look at with all the devastation... it'll get there eventually.

Thanks for asking :)
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you loose anything ?
    I began to script Ps scripts but I have to finish my site so I had to stop, two years ago I didn't realize the stuff in building a web site from scratch.
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Only lost some clothes and a suit really.. and my cult classic movies. Stuff that was not important enough to grab at the time haha
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    Clothes are clothes, hopefully nothing unique you liked.  
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Not really anything I can't replace I guess. Still sucks to have lost it in the first place.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Hey this looks great.

How do you handle alpha? PNG is on by default, but what about 32bit TGA vs. 24bit?, and TIFF alpha?

What compression level do you set for JPG? Just the last one set via Save As?
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Jpg is max quality progressive.
    Tga saves look at color mode and channels. If  the and more than 3 channels it saves as 32bit else 24
    Tiff I could use a good setting cause I've never used it so kind of just tried something. Think it uses lzw and keep layers. 
    Messed around trying to get the setting box to come up but then the folder wouldn't set correctly.

More than willing to add additional settings if people want them.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Hmmm would be nice to be able to set the JPG level in the Options. Too many people set it to 12 and forget it, when 7 or 8 or 9 gives an impressive quality/size ratio.
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Give me some settings that people use a lot and I'll go from there in the next few days (going into the city today so probably won't be happening today :))
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    That looks really useful, however if you add a prompt  "Saved as PNG - "[OK]" then the usefulness is diminished again
    i really would remove that, its just an unnecessary extra click

Also smaller buttons would be nice so it could be integrated into the UI permanently ( also without bevel and emboss >.> )

• TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike said:
    That looks really useful, however if you add a prompt  "Saved as PNG - "[OK]" then the usefulness is diminished again
    i really would remove that, its just an unnecessary extra click

Also smaller buttons would be nice so it could be integrated into the UI permanently ( also without bevel and emboss >.> )

For the alert I was already debating removing for that reason. I put it in because for myself it was good to know that it was actually running if I don't have the out folder open to see it.

Don't know if I can really make the buttons much smaller and maintain being able to see what is what but I might take a look when tweaking stuff tomorrow

• CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    The man is going into the city people sheesh :smile: He has been though some troublesome weeks. :smile:

• TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    K, I've put in a toggle for alerts @Shrike
    @Eric Chadwick What kind of settings would you suggest for image save types? 
    I'm gonna try to put in a textbox for JPG so you can set from 0-12 (same as in save), does anyone use anything other than progressive? (I only use progressive-3 pass so don't know if anyone else does something different.)

What kind of settings would you guys like to be able to tweak and what ones are just "standard" and shouldn't bother being able to tweak?
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I just found a way to reduce my copy pasting (for settings getting/putting) so the next update will include this and hopefully be more stable as well  (was stable before but less possibility for errors is the hope :P)

EDIT: Also, v 1.1 is out now. 
    -Added toggle to Settings to turn on and off alerts on Save
    -Changed big part of the scripts to make it so there is less copy pasting around them. This should make it easier to do patches/updates
    quicker later
  • MeshModeler
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    i love this

One request.
    Can we get options for resize at export? :D
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    @MeshModeler Just like 2 text boxes to over ride the document size?
    I can't promise it but I will look into it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Save options I personally use:

JPG = quality number, and Baseline Standard vs. Baseline Optimized. I never use Progressive, but maybe others do? Maybe if you're doing a web 3d game?

PNG = compression smallest, interlace none.

SuperPNG would be nice to support if the user has that installed, optimizes file size very well. Options would be Smaller Files, Quantize off, and Alpha Channel = None, or Transparency, or Alpha1. I can't see why you wouldn't want Clean Transparent to be always on.

TGA = 24bit or 32bit. I don't use RLE compression because some tools historically didn't like it, but I bet some people do use it. Lossless and saves disk space. Maybe just use whatever RLE on/off the user set last?

TIFF = Save Transparency on/off, compression type, and Discard Layers on/off. I never change the Pixel Order, nor do I use Macintosh byte order.

• TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Started work on the resize output. Hope to have it done today.
    Debating trying to put in more control for users for the image saving so they can customize it but that will take some time so it will be in a later update.
  • Eric Chadwick
    If you add format settings, I'd expect it to be in the Settings window, not in the quicksaves.

Quicksvae buttons should save without any confirmation. Or you could put something in Settings, "show confirmation on save" or somesuch, so people could enable it if they wanted.
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    If you add format settings, I'd expect it to be in the Settings window, not in the quicksaves.

Quicksvae buttons should save without any confirmation. Or you could put something in Settings, "show confirmation on save" or somesuch, so people could enable it if they wanted.
    But of course dear Dawson ( @Eric Chadwick
    I wouldn't make it pop up the stuff when you're trying to save cause that would undo the whole "get rid of the alert on save" change :tongue:

I'd be adding it in settings.
    So far I've just started workin on the JPEG quality (it's in just not released yet) and the resize (bout 60% done). So far resize will work but I'm not planning on making it lock ratio's or anything.. just up to the user to put their raw output size. Going to also look at puttin something in for choosing the resampler as well. 

• Eric Chadwick
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Hopin it works well and is easy to use in the end (even if I do add all the extra options and what not)
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message

Jpg Options done. 
    Resizing now works as well. Going to add in another dropdown for resizing for scaling type (as I know someone will complain if I don't :tongue:)
    Probably going to have to do a little restructure when I go to add the other image options cause I'm thinking I'll do it an a 2x3 setup that way it's not super long on the screen and also kinda mimics the LazySave UI itself. 
  • kolayamit
    Offline / Send Message
    kolayamit polycounter lvl 13
    This is great!! Thank you
  • kio
    Online / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    are you guys aware of the generator feature?
    http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshop/2013/09/introducing-adobe-generator-for-photoshop-cc.html

it only handles png & jpg - but its quite nice none the less.

• TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    kio said:
    are you guys aware of the generator feature?
    http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshop/2013/09/introducing-adobe-generator-for-photoshop-cc.html

it only handles png & jpg - but its quite nice none the less.

I'm aware of it
    I find i annoying that they don't support all the very used image types.
    And in the past someone told me to watch it on large psds cause it saves any changes and can bog down. 
    To each their own though
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a bit busy with a new job (that can pay some bills :+1:
    So this is going a bit slower just because I still have to do the UI wireframing and such before I can start on more stuff. (and really want to make sure the UI makes sense)
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message

Starting to come along for blocking out the rest of the UI. Gonna try to get the TGA and TIFF UI done tonight and then start hooking it up over the next week.
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message

And now UI is done. Just have to do the backend hook up on ResampleType in the Resize part and PNG/TGA and TIFF then it's all ready to go :awesome:
  • Eric Chadwick
    Awesome progress on this!
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome progress on this!
    Glad you think so cause man this has definitely made me go "I need to make a tool to make my UI for pre CC Photoshop" haha I'm thinking a WPF program that just outputs the general stuff and you just have to do the backend hook up...but that's a pipe dream for now :tongue:
    "Hoping" that this week I can start getting most of it hooked up and ready to release...that's all dependent on how beat I am after labor work :tongue:
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, Lazy Save UI now remembers the users last settings correctly :)

Tomorrow (maybe) I'll work on making the settings actually influence the image saving correctly. Hooking up the UI to the saving actually went a lot faster than I thought it was going to.
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Managed to get the TIFF options done tonight so I have TGA and PNG left which hopefully should go faster than TIFF (god that thing has a lot of options to handle ...and read terrible terrible Adobe listener code of..)
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    IT IS DONE. V 1.2 is up.
    I played with it and didn't encounter bugs but it's always possible to miss some. Let me know if you encounter any :)

Also updated gifs to show off stuff a bit better
  • Grusti
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome!)) it so useful for. Do you have gumroad page for your tools? 
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome!)) it so useful for. Do you have gumroad page for your tools? 
    I was debating putting it up and I probably will put it up on gum road after I know it's decently stable.
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Well a friend said my icons sucked so he made me up some new ones and I've added and updated Lazy Save with these new ones.

• TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    I've put Lazy Save up on Gumroad now along with the new updated buttons I also added a fun new thing to the CC version
    It allows me to let people know via the panel that there is new versions or even update the look of Lazy Save on the fly with no active need to ReDL the extension. I'm hosting the page on my own site to do this.

There is also an offline page that is packaged with Lazy Save to allow users without a net connection to continue using it without interruption :pleased:

Give it a look and if you guys like it, maybe consider buying me a coffee :chuffed:
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't buy the man a coffee, buy him a tablet so he can use other Adobe tools mobile.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    That looks very interesting ! Unfortunately the Gumroad page doesn't seem to be functioning, I am getting this :

• TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    @pior
    Yup it's about to be back up now. I took it down because all the extensions were broken due to signing issues *Thanks Adobe*
    For anyone that wants to know, for the CC versions at least put this in your Manifest and it should sign correctly again
                <Host Name="PHXS" Version="[14.0,99.9]" />
                <Host Name="PHSP" Version="[14.0,99.9]" />
    @CreativeSheep This is probably what you needed as well.

• TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazy Save v1.4 is up now :pleased:
    Here's the change log.
    -Created a fallback in the case that my website goes down and the user still has internet connection
    The checks now do ->see if online, if online check to see if it can load 1px image from my website. If they can, load online page, else load offline page
    -Settings has gotten extra tabs added to organize new and incoming features easier
    -Added Possibility to override File name when saving images out. Toggle on and fill in text box in settings.
    -Added Group Layer Exporting for JPG/PNG and TGA image types (doesn't make sense to do it on Tiff afaik)
    --Select your group(s) to export the layers from. This will NOT go into the child groups and will not export children from an also selected child group (selected parent and another group inside for example)
    --This is to make sure things get exported correctly and without having to account for sub group naming and such.

It's up on gumroad so if you've gotten it already make sure to check this update out 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsP2R5yEqcI
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Bout to start working on the Channel Packing feature this week. 
    Trying to think of how to approach it best. I'm thinking of having text boxes you can enter the names of Groups into for RGBA
    Then when you try to save with Channel packing enabled, it would go looking for the Groups and pack an image with those groups. 
    Bout the only way I can think of it working well myself. 
    Thoughts?
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Channel Packing feature is almost done :) Works for single RGBA channels (as in not a RGB of one image and an alpha) but that will be done probably tomorrow night after I spend all day driving somewhere.

So here's a gif of channel packing :)
    In case you don't understand what is happening, 
    You set group colors (right click and the red/green/blue etc at the bottom)
    RGB violet(for alpha) are the group colors you can use to define what channel the group will be in.
    Combo of Red/Violet (for RGB of a group and violet as an alpha)
    RGBV (for each group in a sep channel  like in the above gif)

This allows the user to put WHATEVER texture in whatever channel they so want so that you have all the power and it's not dictated by me or by anything else except you. This makes it as agnostic from my tool to use as I can probably make it. 
    I think this is probably the best way I can handle this without having to make defined groups and have you move your groups/layers into those groups (which I think is redundant if I can just get you to set a color instead no?)
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazy Save 1.5 is out now on Gumroad  
    With it comes Channel Packing and a bug fix for resize on save (somehow got busted along the line)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDEjldY4GZA
    I'd love to know what you guys think about it cause I hope it is easy enough to use that people do actually use it haha. Remember, if you run into bugs you can hit the Report A Bug button to fill in a very small form and let me know about it. That's the best way to let me know cause I do read those and get in contact to find out more info if need be :chuffed:
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Added a few things to the trello board for possible upcoming updates. (group export ones were requested, the multi single is something I'm thinking of trying to make LS better in general)
    https://trello.com/b/Z9mvwXsk
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Doing a bit of development streaming. 
    Just finished doing a bit of dev on Multi Image export (can select several groups at once and export at the same time instead of the usual one at a time)
    Open to some suggestions now so if you want to come talk with me :D
    https://www.twitch.tv/toolzor/
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I released Lazy Save 1.5.5 today.
    Donation version now comes with the ability to save multiple images at once instead of having to go group by group. 
    Added a toggle for group export to export layers top to bottom or bottom to top.
    ALSO made a quick little video showing off the features of Lazy Save :D

• TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone on Twitter mentioned wanting to have User Defined Presets. 
    So far there hasn't been much elaboration on it but I'm curious to see what people here might think of such a feature and how/what exactly it might entail.

I've been thinking mostly that things like:
    -Quick Folder setup 
    Define premade folders(names and colors?) and a button press (likely in settings itself) would create the groups in Photoshop.

-Freq used Export Folders
    Maybe a dropdown of your last used folders (like 5 or something?) so you don't have to go through the file browser all the time if you're exporting to an asset folder for instance?

Any other ideas? I'm not 100% sure it'll get in but I'm curious to see what you guys think about it. 
    Here's a trello card (Hopefully people can comment on it or here either or)
    https://trello.com/c/Lbq9MtGB