Home General Discussion

Dominance War VI

Replies

• Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    I'm a lonely freelancer, so if you hang out with me you get a free beer and 20$
    Free beer and 20$? Awesome! I'll hang out with you.

I haven't been aware of this whole DW story, it's sad, the pledge actually sound like comedy.
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    It has 13 backers contributing $8,682. One of those backers is contributing the majority at a stellar $8,000. Lolwut

This is just about the silliest thing I've seen all week!
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I always assume large donations when there's only a few are from close family or friends. But who knows.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Prime8 said:

I haven't been aware of this whole DW story, it's sad, the pledge actually sound like comedy.
    have to buy the ticket to japan yourself though ;)
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Prime8 said:

have to buy the ticket to japan yourself though ;)
    Don't worry about that, I'll send you a PM later haha
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    .. ok this is strange.. 
    DW started so nice and small and ended to be way too overblown and out of focus.
    All the prices and what not is nice but what really matters is working together, having fun and learning something.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    kickstarter event is canceled now. its gonna be awkward to start removing all those links after this much build up : S
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    ''Various rewards have been removed. New rewards will go live on Monday, May 16th, 12pm EDT. Friends, family, artists, and sponsors will be contacted in the next few days to see if a BIG ELECTRICAL SHOCK can be given to Team V2 on Monday afternoon. Let's see if we can give this campaign a big and proper Kickstart into the right direction!

Please keep in mind this is an "all-or-nothing" deal. If the campaign does not reach the funding goal, then the project cannot move forward. So know that any amount given on Monday afternoon can make a big difference. This is also an incredible opportunity to be a part of a special project! Help the campaign reach its goal by sharing this on Facebook, Twitter, and other social networks. The more people know about this, the more support the campaign will receive.''

Ugh, He didn't learn his lesson and will restart a kickstarter on monday,

• Polyjunky
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyjunky greentooth
    Tits said:
    ''Various rewards have been removed. New rewards will go live on Monday, May 16th, 12pm EDT. Friends, family, artists, and sponsors will be contacted in the next few days to see if a BIG ELECTRICAL SHOCK can be given to Team V2 on Monday afternoon. Let's see if we can give this campaign a big and proper Kickstart into the right direction!

Please keep in mind this is an "all-or-nothing" deal. If the campaign does not reach the funding goal, then the project cannot move forward. So know that any amount given on Monday afternoon can make a big difference. This is also an incredible opportunity to be a part of a special project! Help the campaign reach its goal by sharing this on Facebook, Twitter, and other social networks. The more people know about this, the more support the campaign will receive.''

Looks like August now. "Form Team V2 has been removed. A Full Reboot will take place in August, 2016. For all inquiries, please contact us."
  • Squals
    Offline / Send Message
    Squals polycounter lvl 5
    A damn shame where all this ended up, DW was a great competition with incredible entries in the early days.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    What in the hell is going on?!?  I go on vacation and everything goes to hell lol.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I've written, deleted and re-written my response about six times now, so I'm just going to keep this short.

For someone who was there and was heavily involved in the community and the contest during that time, I will confirm pretty much everything Gav said.

It's true... All of it!

• PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    So................ Comicon 2016 is starting.

Is it OK ? Is there anything I should know of ?
  • throttlekitty
    Tits said:

And again, there's no "what can backing this project do for you?" in there, just pushing the audience's responsibility to the vague thing. Anyway, the page now reads different, maybe with a bit of forethought something could happen?

Form Team V2 has been removed. A Full Reboot will take place in August, 2016. For all inquiries, please contact us.
  • RogerP
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    PyrZern said:
    So................ Comicon 2016 is starting.

Is it OK ? Is there anything I should know of ?
    I mean there are no prizes or anything involved with this one so if you're ok with that. I've done it the past two years and I've had fun. Don't see anything wrong with it :smiley:
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    They came up with that theme for ComicCon last minute I think. It's kinda boring 
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    The previous year's Fusion theme or before that were quite fun. I'm not sure about making Undead heroes/villain though. 
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    man this rollercoaster just keeps on going doesn't it...
  • RogerP
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    I think there's an overall sour taste in the air for GA/Fred at this point. More people would be joining this without questions otherwise. It might be a "less interesting topic" this time around, but I do believe this whole kickstarter situation and some of the other things coming back into the light are playing a big factor here.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    RogerP, I agree it could be playing a factor to some degree...but come on, zombies?  Themes work better when they are more open ended so people have more creative freedom.  This is possibly the worst theme I have seen in a comicon challenge yet.
  • RogerP
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    slosh said:
    RogerP, I agree it could be playing a factor to some degree...but come on, zombies?  Themes work better when they are more open ended so people have more creative freedom.  This is possibly the worst theme I have seen in a comicon challenge yet.
    I'm there with ya man!
  • FredH
    Offline / Send Message
    FredH polycounter lvl 18
    Some additional info about Team V2 and why a team is needed.
    - http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/threads/64932-GameArtisans-Team-V2-and-FredH

Thanks

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    "With a team in place, all issues related to lack of funds, personnel, time management, deliveries, etc, will vanish."

Throwing money and people at these issues isn't going to solve those problems. There's plenty of contests that do a great job with minimal money and staff. The Substance and Polycount challenges for example.
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    The issue is in 2016 I dont think most people are seriously interested in all of this:

"over 100 pages of HTML designs, graphic/logo designs, judge coordination, sponsors, prizes, prize deliveries, public voting, public events, Q&A, a pre-warm up challenge, a main challenge, a cinematic short (DW V), social media updates, newsletters, interviews, iCard interviews, Wallpaper/turn-table collection & presentation, and content/HTML pages that are made for other non-GAcommunities"

Its a lot of fluff when all that people really want is an inter-forum art challenge. Outside of an announcement post and maybe some banner images. I dont think you need  fancy websites, prizes, warm up challenge, a cinematic short, newsletter, icards, etc... 

The forums are already there just get the mods together corner off a piece of each site and let people post and compete.
    The ideas arent necessarily bad... Just really misguided I think.

• m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Well at least those who were quoted from this thread were credited lol.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18

DOWN WITH CGCHAT!!!!  

Oh how I miss them.
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    The thick plottens!

• Gav
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Someone couldn't handle the truth being spilled online.

• Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    @Tits

Tyrannosaurus keks.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I had no idea this was happening.

This is weird.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Hahahahaha.

FredH just called Polycount out.

Time to start our own big corrupt challenge, I guess, and call it Impotence War.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Fred... man... just let it die. You're done, so is GA, you killed it yourself.

Time to move on.
  • RogerP
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    I missed all this cause I was playing Overwatch!?!?! Damn it!

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Yeah I think even without all the past drama it will be hard to pull off, I think with Artstation becoming more and more important for game artists so will their challenges as well, also other sites challenges, were their main focus isn't on challenges themselves.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    HAHA! I was quoted.
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Thanks for the plug, though, Ryan Hawkins presents: The Character Art Podcast
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Oh shit i just noticed i got quoted too, loooool!

'sif i'm even important.
  • Emil Mujanovic
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I do appreciate that my post was so long that it wasn't worth quoting all of the other reasons why GA/DW/Fred is a garbage fire that should be avoided.  You know, the page long essay about how backwards voting is, the bullshit about prizes, about exposure, and the   It's also worth noting that this "response" does nothing but validate a bizarre logic where the money spent and debt accumulated, which no one asked for, goes from a "good deed" to a charity using your work as marketing material.

Okay, that's a bunch of numbers explaining where the money goes.  You bought big prizes out of your own pocket, which no one ever needed to make art (look at DW1 and 2), you built a gallery for local artists that no one ever asked for.  I feel like I'm walking back in time and saying the exact same thing as 6 (?) years ago - "Nobody asked you to do this."  Get an investor if money is an issue, if you can't find one that's probably a good indicator.  You can't do something nice for someone (if that's what you consider DW and GA to be), then ask that person to help pay for it.  Sort of defeats the purpose and is shifting the blame onto a community that never asked for it. 

Then. THEN. To take all of the drama, "scandal", mistakes, opportunities to improve and try it all AGAIN is just showing how delusional you really are.  Why not "go back to your roots"? Start a new DW that's small.  Mend fences with a community you've lost some favor with.  Learn your lesson and build it back up in a non-douchey way.  It's like none of this, any of the things that went wrong or how this could possibly seem harmful to artists, gets through.

It's fucking mind blowing. 
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy shlt. I was busy working on my proj I didn't notice this thing blowing up a mushroom cloud.
  • STRIKER
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    whoa GA is...gone? like literally the site is deleted....and his personal site...and his FB.
    looks like a meltdown incoming.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
  • Magihat
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    Fred was so transparent with his responses that he literally turned himself and his site into a ghost.
  • Fingus
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    why does he care so much about what polycount thinks? shouldnt there be tons of people that never heard of this drama that would want to back the kickstarter and stuff?
  • eXecutex
    Offline / Send Message
    eXecutex polycounter lvl 9
    Haha oh man, after all that stuff with the hype going on, he couldn't resist but vanish in a moment.
    Well, I guess it's time someone acts and make those challenges happen! No ?

Since I already started doing the monthly challenge I can handle the "Dominance" one for free :O
  • sziada
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Well, that happened.

Seriously though, he spat his dummy out over a single thread in Polycount? We can't have been his only 'detractors', who brought up his track record?

I'm thankful our overlords are kind here, scary to think that one guy can shut down a community overnight...