Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Beast - A Character Art Contest

Replies

• biotron
    Offline / Send Message
    biotron polycounter lvl 7
    I sort of agree with the reasons for not extending the deadline, even if that doesn't benefit me, yet, even in the "real" world, deadlines get extended all the time. Blizzard is a good example of this. They'd rather get it right than deliver on schedule.

But I understand those who don't want to extend it. That's fair.
  • Macrow
    Offline / Send Message
    Macrow polycounter lvl 8
    True, deadlines do get extended at work environments sometimes.

Though, with your example, if Blizzard does it, they want to get it right because doing so affects their sales.  It's in their best interest to delay a deadline.

This situation, however, was an open challenge set to see who will best rise to the challenge.  Extending the contest only benefits those who failed to meet it, and undermines the effort of those who sacrificed more time and effort to rightly meet it.
  • Pixelgorilla
  • Endritv
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv polygon
    biotron said:
    I sort of agree with the reasons for not extending the deadline, even if that doesn't benefit me, yet, even in the "real" world, deadlines get extended all the time. Blizzard is a good example of this. They'd rather get it right than deliver on schedule.

But I understand those who don't want to extend it. That's fair.
    That's a business, completely different scenario, in a business everyone is working together towards delivering a good product.

This is a competition, in a competition no one is working together. Extending a deadline would only benefit those who didn't manage their time, instead of those who did what they were supposed to do in the first place.
  • 3pi
    @Macrow @Endritv Do you guys even work on this challenge or just chat?
  • Jerc
  • Pixelgorilla
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelgorilla polycounter lvl 2
    I can only speak for myself, but I don't do these contests for the prizes. I see it as an opportunity to push my abilities and hopefully gain knowledge and experience in the process. So from my point of view, in the spirit of artistic solidarity, I don't see any negative connotation in someone getting their project completed and submitted due to a deadline extension that they would have otherwise missed. Not everyone who (potentially) misses the deadline does so out of poor time management (everyone has a different situation, personally and professionally). There are some, but I don't think it's accurate (or fair) to lump everyone who can't make the deadline into that group. In the spirit of friendly competition, I'd be happy to see the deadline extended. People are doing some mind blowing work here, I'd like anyone who is able, to get their chance to get their project in to the judges.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    thanks for the extension.

i might have a chance to finish now. it isnt that i didnt manage my time well it is just that i actually started very very late because i been too busy and barely worked on my entry so far. i think i worked a total of 7-8 calendar days so far(spread around couple months) on my entry with around 3-5 hours each of those days.

all that being said i might actually finish within deadline if i do some hardcore crunch/rush work.

considering that, it can also be called unfair for people like us because people who did finish will have even more time to polish and add more details. there is always room for polish and improvement in any work.
  • Endritv
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv polygon
    3pi said:
    Apparently you are the one who is just chatting instead of working since you want an extension of the deadline bud. I don't have to be in the competition to give my opinion. You really don't seem to understand that's it not about the quality of the contest, it's about who put the most effort into it, and respected the rules.
  • Sandy
    oho....very discouraging news for me  i was take leave from office three days for finishing my entry and last week days i really work hard day and night only for meet the deadline also i almost  near to close finish ...really i feel very discouraging . but i think its  good for all who's need more more time ..
    also good for who's one near to finish i think its a good chance for improvement much more ...best of luck all ....
  • Macrow
    Offline / Send Message
    Macrow polycounter lvl 8
    3pi said:
    Why?  Any answer to your question doesn't refute the validity of the point.

To answer it, no, I didn't work in this challenge.  I surely meant to, but with my busy schedule, I simply lost track of time.

I could be one to push for an extension, but I've accepted it, knowing that if I had joined, i would want the same respect.

But hey, whatever.  It's done now.

Pixelgorilla said:
    I can only speak for myself, but I don't do these contests for the prizes. I see it as an opportunity to push my abilities and hopefully gain knowledge and experience in the process. So from my point of view, in the spirit of artistic solidarity, I don't see any negative connotation in someone getting their project completed and submitted due to a deadline extension that they would have otherwise missed... etc.

Good for you, man.  But you're not everyone here.

While there's no guarantee of one's victory, I'm very sure some here seriously pushed themselves a large part due to the incentive of the prizes.  Maybe someone truly needs those prizes to help their career.  There's nothing wrong with vying for an incentive.

You might just take this as a learning experience, but honestly, who doesn't?  We all do, from the entrants to the spectators.  Love and learning is standard.   For some others, this is something more--a great opportunity.

If some people had work schedule and family lives, who doesn't?  We all do.  But hey, wasn't that's the challenge?  Wasn't that the very hurdle itself?  Some folks gave up more and did more than others just to clear it.

But it's over now.  Que sera, sera.
  • Macrow
    Offline / Send Message
    Macrow polycounter lvl 8

Sandy said:
    oho....very discouraging news for me  i was take leave from office three days for finishing my entry and last week days i really work hard day and night only for meet the deadline also i almost  near to close finish ...really i feel very discouraging .

Case in point, folks.  Some folks have made some real sacrifices to meet that deadline.  To push it back now just undermines whatever they sacrificed to do it.  I just hope this extension doesn't hurt their chances at victory.
  • 3pi
    Macrow said:

Sandy said:
    oho....very discouraging news for me  i was take leave from office three days for finishing my entry and last week days i really work hard day and night only for meet the deadline also i almost  near to close finish ...really i feel very discouraging .

Case in point, folks.  Some folks have made some real sacrifices to meet that deadline.  To push it back now just undermines whatever they sacrificed to do it.  I just hope this extension doesn't hurt their chances at victory.
    I think that extension will dramatically hurt their chances :) well, if many new people show up, it will be tough... But hey, their "sacrifice" is not sacrifice...They haven't donated heart or kidneys. They too have more time to improve so i don't see any problem..On the contrary, they are one step ahead!!
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    edit* found answer.
    delete post please if you can.

• tungerz
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon

Props to all the entries :)

Stunning works

Congrats to the winners (ô¿ô)