Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - Master Thread

Replies

• Goobatastic
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    Hi guys,

Could be a stupid question but can you drag out an alpha similar to zbrush?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Hi guys,

Not yet, that's something we would like to add.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Just a quick question. Been having this "halo-ing" effect when the masks transition from one material to another using colour ID. I have tried the following solutions:

* Baking an ID mask without anti-aliasing.
    * Using a combination of blur/levels and custom generators to grow/shrink masks. 
    * Covering the entire model in a material and then using the color ID to mask the metal on top.
    * Manually painting out the edges of the mask to try and minimize the mask.

Graphics card drivers are up to date (NVidia GTX770)

Regards.
  • Goobatastic
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    Froyok said:
    Hi guys,

Not yet, that's something we would like to add.
    Cheers for the reply Froyok.

Another quick question. sorry about having so many :).
    Is it possible to use paint layer and convert it into a mask?

• Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Baj Singh said:
    Just a quick question. Been having this "halo-ing" effect when the masks transition from one material to another using colour ID. I have tried the following solutions:

* Baking an ID mask without anti-aliasing.
    * Using a combination of blur/levels and custom generators to grow/shrink masks. 
    * Covering the entire model in a material and then using the color ID to mask the metal on top.
    * Manually painting out the edges of the mask to try and minimize the mask.

Graphics card drivers are up to date (NVidia GTX770)

Regards.
    This kind of artefact between a metallic and non-metallic surface is inherent to the metallic/roughness model and will always appear in any engine that uses this model. You can reduce it by having a higher roughness and darker color on your transition between the 2 materials.
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    I'm working on making a good bridge between Designer and Painter, trying out and looking at a number of different methods, but so far I've been unable to find something that really suits my fancy.

My setup is that I have these complex graphs in Designer where I Tri-Planar map my materials, and I'd like to blend between them with masks in Painter while being able to actually see the change in Painter.

Somewhat like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UGczlDM6b8
    At about 51 mins he paints a mask, but to see the result he's got to go back to Designer. Is there a better or different method that does what I need? I've read feature notes about a "Live Link" but am unable to find any documentation.
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Is there no Spec/Gloss template for Painter? 
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    There will be soon!
  • Fabian Fischer
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabian Fischer polycounter lvl 8
    Is there no Spec/Gloss template for Painter? 
    Hey Brygelsmack,

in the meantime you can download a Spec/Gloss Shader from Substance Share. (https://share.allegorithmic.com/libraries/15)

Best Regards
  • Son Kim
    Offline / Send Message
    Son Kim triangle
    I'm expecting Substance Painter 2 release/announcement at GDC, is this crazy talk?!
  • Jerc
  • ericktjoe
    Offline / Send Message
    ericktjoe polycounter lvl 4
    Great to hear that! I've to pay again for upgrade *sob*. Any discount later?
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    My guess / hope for SP2: Linux support. Since it was mentioned as in consideration for Allegorithmic's tools.
  • Son Kim
    Offline / Send Message
    Son Kim triangle
    I hope UDIM support is in SP2, either way I'll probably upgrade.
  • Ispheria
    Offline / Send Message
    Ispheria polycounter lvl 3
    Does this mean that orthographic view and iray will only be in painter 2? If orthographic view is already done and you haven't released it for some reason, then it kind of feels like that reason is because it's going to be only in painter 2
  • GhosTDoG
    Offline / Send Message
    GhosTDoG polycounter lvl 6
    Hi,

I did read somewhere that there might be a folder restructuring for the (custom) shelf folder in the "documents" path for Painter 2?
    Can I keep my custom shelf folder(s) or will it lead to conflicts with Painter 2?

Thx

• Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Your custom shelf folders will still work with the new shelf organization when we roll it out in a couple of months.
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    What could speed Painter up?  I mean generators and procedural materials/masks.      I see approximately 50% of CPU load and even less of GPU while red line is progressing , but almost full 16gb RAM usage.   I was going to buy a new video card but have some doubts now. Maybe I need more memory?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    What's your graphic card model? If it's capable enough, I would say additional ram is more likely to speed things up.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    @Jerc

Something to keep an eye on that I've been noticing.

When opening Painter, sometimes, it will not utilize my entire GPU. I have GPU-Z open and the times that my card hits 100% clock speed, the viewport seems to be running fine. However, there are many times where it won't even hit 50% clock speed with the same project, or even get past idle clocks. That causes insane viewport/performance lag. Furthermore, nothing else is a bottleneck when this happens. CPU, GPU Memory, and RAM are all well below 100%. Something just seems to be up with the clock speeds. 

This has happened on a GTX 770 4GB, a R9 290 8GB, and a R9 390 8GB
    I'm not sure what the fix is -_-
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I've been experiencing a similar issue on my side today, we are looking into it.
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Jerc said:
    What's your graphic card model? If it's capable enough, I would say additional ram is more likely to speed things up.
    Nvidia  GF 660ti 2gb.    From couple years ago probably.    I somehow like Substance Painter , especially  it's nice real time preview and automatic approach.    But most of my time I  look at the red line progressing.  
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I would definitely say more ram then, if your ram maxes out, that mean Painter has to offload stuff to the hard drive and swap, this can cause serious slowdowns.
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    Do I understand right that "Compute tangent space per fragment" in Painter = "Compute binormal in fragment shader" in xNormal and Designer?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    dzibarik said:
    Do I understand right that "Compute tangent space per fragment" in Painter = "Compute binormal in fragment shader" in xNormal and Designer?

If I'm not mistaken, they are the same.
  • OccultMonk
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Ability to make instanced layers/groups. This is useful when you have a lot of texture sets and need to have consistency in masks, colors and materials.
  • OccultMonk
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    In substance Painter: An option to export in 8K. You do not even have to be able to work in 8K as long as there is the option to let the textures re-generate to 8K. Of course Substance painter should then also recognize 8K basemaps.

It could even be a hidden option that you manually have to turn on in the settings menu. Maybe with a warning that it could be slow and only works on Video cards with more than 3GB of ram. I know 8K textures are not really useful for games at the moment, but they are great for beauty renders in for example Marmoset. Quixel Ddo even supports 16K Textures. 
  • Sastrei
    Offline / Send Message
    Sastrei polycounter lvl 11
    Trying to verify - if I just have a low poly model, with no high poly, can I still texture it easily using Substance by using masks to identify different materials?
  • rube
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    Sastrei, yes, and you can still bake maps from just the low poly to use generators if you decide to.
  • Sastrei
    Offline / Send Message
    Sastrei polycounter lvl 11
    Rock on! Thanks for the quick reply. :)
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    I have a quick question. I tried to google that but was unable to find any info. I have lower amount of generators for masks in SP2 compared to SP1. Did generators got collapsed/removed or have I done something terrible? Even current substance documentation and official youtube videos for SP2 shows bigger amount of generators than I have.

• Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Since we introduced Smart Masks that basically allow you to save presets of the very powerful Mask Builder and Mask Editor, we removed the other too specific mask generators that were being redundant.
    You can still download them on Substance Share: https://share.allegorithmic.com/libraries?by_category_id=11
  • MmAaXx
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    huys, I just saw that I can finally force painter to export PNG at 8bit.  
    You made my day!

>>THANKYOU<<
  • Thall
    Offline / Send Message
    Thall polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys, is there a way to remove the white edge/halo that's generated when applying metal edge where. I've tried playing around with layer types, opacity and the generator variables, but I can't get a solid colour fade, just a white edge... This happens when I use very dark colours like a near solid black for instance.

Reference:

http://imgur.com/E4oX0Vn
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Quick answer : no. :)
    Long answer : That's a limitation of the metal-rough PBR workflow.
    See : https://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-conversion

• ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    I had a question about using Substances in the new Painter releases. Is it impossible to just import a .sbs file? If not, what is the best way to handle changes being made in SD that propagate to Painter? I remember a video on this but could not find it.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You can only import sbsar files. Reloading and updating a sbsar in Painter can be done through the right click menu on this material in the shelf if it was imported in the project, but will require a restart if the sbsar is part of the actual shelf folder. Although very soon all of this will be much much simpler and streamlined with the shelf makeover.
  • Bertmac
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    Thall said:
    Hey guys, is there a way to remove the white edge/halo that's generated when applying metal edge where. I've tried playing around with layer types, opacity and the generator variables, but I can't get a solid colour fade, just a white edge... This happens when I use very dark colours like a near solid black for instance.

Reference:

http://imgur.com/E4oX0Vn

I just blur the hell out of it and at a levels after to sharpen it up again.  

• Axcel
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    Hi
    I can't figure it out by myself, please help.
    How to quickly and efficiently move masks between layers? I tried export to clipboard, doesn't work. Copy and paste work only in SOME cases (why??), in other it pastes something else. Exporting to file and than putting mask from bitmap works but I can't paint on it!

• Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Right click > Copy Mask and Paste will work only if the target layer for pasting already has a mask (empty or not).
  • Lokiseven
    Hello there!

I wonder if it is possible now, to export all layers from Painter to Photoshop?
    Or if Painter does not support this feature directly, maybe someone knows a workaround for that ?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
  • remon
    Offline / Send Message
    remon polycounter lvl 3
    Any update on the layered psd files? or a date it will be released?

Cheers
  • TH98
    Offline / Send Message
    TH98 polycounter lvl 12
    Hey guys--a departing coworker left me with some .SPP files of assets, but no FBX or source files (I know, right)

Is it possible to retrieve the meshes from Substance Painter somehow? Or am I up shit creek?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Not really, once the mesh has been imported we process it. There is no way to retrieve the original mesh.
  • TH98
    Offline / Send Message
    TH98 polycounter lvl 12
    Nuts.  :(

Thanks for the answer! 
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    A minor change I would like to see (perhaps as an option users can define in settings) is an increase in the "Recent Files" list length — 5 entries seems far too few. 10-15 seems more practical. If I'm using incremental saves and multiple projects, 5 recent files becomes inadequate quite fast.
  • Falkrum
    Offline / Send Message
    Falkrum polycounter lvl 2
    Hello!
    Question here:
    How to reload a project textures? Right click on texture icon>Reload button does nothing for me.
    As i am right all assets that was imported to project stays in .spp file, so you cant directly update them?
    Or not? Because I can see path to project textures "/project", but where is it?

Edit: Actually reload button update texture itself, but it not update info from this texture across all project. I mean if you update ID map its not update color selection masks. How to do this without manual changing map everywhere it was used?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Bek said:
    A minor change I would like to see (perhaps as an option users can define in settings) is an increase in the "Recent Files" list length — 5 entries seems far too few. 10-15 seems more practical. If I'm using incremental saves and multiple projects, 5 recent files becomes inadequate quite fast.
    Noted ! Thanks for the feedback. :)
    Falkrum said:
    Hello!
    Question here:
    How to reload a project textures? Right click on texture icon>Reload button does nothing for me.
    As i am right all assets that was imported to project stays in .spp file, so you cant directly update them?
    Or not? Because I can see path to project textures "/project", but where is it?

Edit: Actually reload button update texture itself, but it not update info from this texture across all project. I mean if you update ID map its not update color selection masks. How to do this without manual changing map everywhere it was used?
    If you update your ID in the additional map slot of you texture set, it will update all the layer using it. Otherwise you will have to replace it by hand.