Home Contests & Challenges Archives Company of Heroes 2: WAR PAINT contest

WAR PAINT - Q&A

Replies

• skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    georider said:
    no as they are the skin editor add faction west german and there are the skins , as well as puma.
    sorry if I was unclear, that is what I did, the panzer and the puma work but the Panther does not. Maybe I spelled something wrong, what should the files be called ?
  • f_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f_x
    georider said:
    no as they are the skin editor add faction west german and there are the skins , as well as puma.
    sorry if I was unclear, that is what I did, the panzer and the puma work but the Panther does not. Maybe I spelled something wrong, what should the files be called ?

The directory is "panther_ausf_g".  Inside, the file is "panther_dif.tga"

• skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crap thats the problem, I called the files panther_ausf_g as well thanks
  • Grumpntug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grumpntug polycounter lvl 11
    I build for a bit then i get that an item with the same key has already been added. How do I fix this? I just kept making new mod files and that fixed it for a bit then suddenly it stopped again.

EDIT: Seems to be an icon I'm adding. Odd.
  • Grumpntug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to break my submission up into 6 packages.  a package for each armor type and a package for the winter versions of each armor type. Does that mean I'm going to have 6 slots on the workshop page? What does that mean for once (if) it's in game? Will you guys be combining it all? I'm just re-doing the dif, nrm, spc, and gls of all the models which bloats it all pretty heavily.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    My mod builder just compiles endlessy when I just try to build a skin mod with just a replaced TGA - so I can't do anything right now. Any ideas ?
    I posted 2-3 days ago, I really need some help with this : /

• georider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    You are going to have 6 slots occupied with these skins, In the game means nothing either icon will look as it was in the big one sga.
    Where is the catch with 6 different upolads , since each one is individual that doesn't mean that the will all get the same amound yes/no/see later, and example is you get 10 yes for medium armor , but from these 10 persons 3 doesn't like heavy , that means that heavy will get 7 yes and 3 something else.
    Such is what it might happened to currate item in workshop, but for competition the final entry, which will go inside, is from relic's personel, I assumed the above won't be a problem.
    My personal point is go as you planed with 6 different packs , go for it No-discund to your work , that is something yours , as artist you have your point of view if you try to make all sactisfy , at the end you will ruin your work. Trust me I'm talking trough experience , all these months no matter the details or whatever you add , comunity cares only for patterns , so one color variations have following funs from those who undestands the skinpack theme. No accusing no jugding on that point of view for skins , that is what I get as feedback and I understand it , but since I get envolved with skins for once more in coh2 and spend sometimes more than 12 h per day , I total understand an author and a developer , that's why I never accuse policy for DLC's and extras, all extras mods or not are hours for personal time from our time in that life and it never gave back, only the satisfaction of creating something.
    Go for it, is the most detailed work i ever see in coh2 , since the custom skinners like myself never envolved with so much depth in nrm etc etc due to limitation space.
  • Grumpntug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah. I don't really have a choice. It's more of a warning for relic that I'm going to be throwing down 6 skin packs. The voting thing is odd because it's all really one set. But we'll see what people do.
  • Grumpntug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also strange issue packing here... summer version is under 200 winter version with same number of textures and everything is 205 mb. This is tough to troubleshoot :-/
  • f_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f_x
    Grumpntug said:
    Also strange issue packing here... summer version is under 200 winter version with same number of textures and everything is 205 mb. This is tough to troubleshoot :-/
    It looks like you made it past that last hurdle.  Congrats!  The skins look awesome and I for one hope to see them in-game.

About the different sizes - that stems from the fact that the packages are compressing the texture images.  Since the images themselves are different, it follows that they don't necessarily compress the same.  A simpler image will compress more efficiently, but most of us are aiming for the other end of the complexity spectrum.

I've never had to do this, but I'm already thinking ahead in case my pack(s) land just a few MB over the limit:  the UV layouts are packed tightly but there is still always some negative space between the polys which is unused.  In my case they still have a lot of high frequency color details such as weathering which were applied globally.  It's possible that filling those areas with a solid color would reduce the file sizes, without changing the final look when applied to the vehicles.
  • Starbuck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starbuck polycounter lvl 2
    f_x said:

I've never had to do this, but I'm already thinking ahead in case my pack(s) land just a few MB over the limit:  the UV layouts are packed tightly but there is still always some negative space between the polys which is unused.  In my case they still have a lot of high frequency color details such as weathering which were applied globally.  It's possible that filling those areas with a solid color would reduce the file sizes, without changing the final look when applied to the vehicles.
    That's a great idea if it in fact reduces the file size. 
  • AAM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AAM
    Hi all,

I'm having an issue with the inventory preview of a skin pack. Per wiki instructions, I am using a 280x280 TGA file. When the file is set to burn to RGT, an archive is built, but does not appear in the inventory at all. When set to burn to DDS, it appears in the Steam workshop, but the inventory preview remains blank. Is there something else that needs to be done?

Thanks a lot for your help!
  • georider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    280x280 is an openning picture and is in png format . the buildr makes the preview dds, and that icludes the icons preview tanks in medium -heavy-light
  • AAM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AAM
    Sorry, may not have been very clear.. The inventory icons for little slots are working - I replaced the default icon.png. The preview in the Steam workshop is working. What is not working is the preview in the pop-up window when the item is selected in the inventory, just over the item text. It does not affect the functionality in any way, but it looks really unfinished..
  • georider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    well rebuild it and update it
  • Starbuck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AAM said:
    Hi all,

I'm having an issue with the inventory preview of a skin pack. Per wiki instructions, I am using a 280x280 TGA file. When the file is set to burn to RGT, an archive is built, but does not appear in the inventory at all. When set to burn to DDS, it appears in the Steam workshop, but the inventory preview remains blank. Is there something else that needs to be done?

If I understand you correctly, you want a picture to appear of a vehicle showcasing your skin when you hover over the icon of light, medium or large icon?  If so, the size of that picture is 250x190 in .png file format.
    Hope that helps.
  • AAM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AAM
    I have already tried re-building with various options to get it working. The instructions provided by Relic did not work for me, as setting the burn file format to RGT broke the build completely - item does not appear in Steam workshop or inventory. The inventory previews are not being generated in any instance. Is there anything that needs to be set in the Attribute Editor, perhaps?

My inventory view:

Modding hub view:

• AAM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AAM
    Starbuck said:
    AAM said:
    Hi all,

If I understand you correctly, you want a picture to appear of a vehicle showcasing your skin when you hover over the icon of light, medium or large icon?  If so, the size of that picture is 250x190 in .png file format.
    Hope that helps.

Thanks! That's it exactly! And that is different from the preview image that is entered into the build menu or "info" folder? Does it need to be entered elsewhere?
  • Grumpntug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So in all the madness of breaking up my submissions and making files the right sizes and everything I forgot to name the mods with Polycount in front of them as required in the instructions. I have no idea what to do with that. I've done everything else and it would be very depressing to be disqualified because of that.

I suppose I could take everything down and re-submit if it is that important. I pushed pretty hard to make the deadline and I don' want to make it to here and get disqualified.
  • georider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    no , you have to rebuild and update , btw can you explain that? polycount goes where? I also forget that !
    so we have to name the skinpack polycount_something .....
    I have a sudgestion entries adding polycount name i.e description of icon must be acceptable, I mean is to difficult to me to rebuild these 2 curate items , modbuilder recently don't build in a propper way , many crashes , and i have to make a mod with vanila staffs and after rebyrn and reburn , please be advice on the above . Thank you in advance.
  • Starbuck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AAM said:
    Starbuck said:
    AAM said:
    Hi all,

Hope that helps.

Thanks! That's it exactly! And that is different from the preview image that is entered into the build menu or "info" folder? Does it need to be entered elsewhere?
    Yes.  There are three different "preview" images. One for each size (light, medium, heavy). The Preview image that's in the info folder is what people will see when they are browsing the Steam workshop.  That one is .tga with dimension 280x280 in the info folder only.
    Hope thsi helps. :)

• Starbuck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grumpntug said:
    So in all the madness of breaking up my submissions and making files the right sizes and everything I forgot to name the mods with Polycount in front of them as required in the instructions. I have no idea what to do with that. I've done everything else and it would be very depressing to be disqualified because of that.

I suppose I could take everything down and re-submit if it is that important. I pushed pretty hard to make the deadline and I don' want to make it to here and get disqualified.
    I would just edit in the workshop the name of your file.  Go to "edit title and description" in your workshop page and just add the Polycount word in front of each description.
    You might want to find out from Kyle_Re if it's really necessary to re export with that in the name of the mod.  That seems silly to be disqualified for something like that...
  • f_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f_x
    I'd love clarification on the Polycount name too.  Is it supposed to be a prefix for the mod name on disk, as in the .mod/.xml files we see from the mod tool?  Or is it supposed to be the public name that appears in the Steam workshop?
  • Grumpntug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got in touch with the good folks on CoH2 on twitter and they said it was fine that I didn't have the prefix because they have been watching the competition and forums closely. I did, however, have a normal map tweak I realized I missed and wanted to update my medium packs but I have no idea if that's ok to do or not.
  • georider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    Grumpntug you can update your skinpack part, inside game moddinh gub , publish again and the file will update , you can enter the upload description in view and discribe what changes you made , i.e include missing files etc etc. I can't see a point why can not use the update since 31st of jan.
  • realb33rm4n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi everyone I just finish my work but I some problem with normalmaps.

also wheels do strange things. when vehicles moves they change illumination from dark to lighten. 

I mixed the normalmap the gloss map and the specularmap with this settings in the burn settings:  (_nrm,_spc,r)(,,g)(_nrm,_gls,b)(,,r)
    with DXT5 compression.

• Starbuck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try just burning the _dif file only. Leave the others out and see how that looks..
  • f_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f_x
    For normals/spec/gloss, there is a checkbox that says "compress textures" which needs to be turned OFF.  And (not to make any assumptions) you only need to burn normals/spec/gloss if you have changed one or more of those maps.  If you did not change them at all, you can skip adding them to your mod and the game will use the default set.
  • realb33rm4n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f_x said:
    For normals/spec/gloss, there is a checkbox that says "compress textures" which needs to be turned OFF.  And (not to make any assumptions) you only need to burn normals/spec/gloss if you have changed one or more of those maps.  If you did not change them at all, you can skip adding them to your mod and the game will use the default set.

Ok I have compress textures ON for normalmap. Let me try.

@F_X thank you so much!!!! it works!!!!
  • Starbuck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why are you burning the nrm,spc,and gls anyway?  Have you adjusted these?  If not, leave them out of the burn process.  They will just increase the total file size of your skin pack and make uploading a pain.
  • AAM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AAM
    A couple of questions for Relic:

Is there any scope for the default decals to be disabled in the game at any point of the future? To what extent should our work account for existing decal placement? Is there a possibility of somehow clearing default decals by installing a custom skin pack? Is that an acceptable solution? If so, how would one approach that problem?

I am working on a Soviet historic theme, which is already imposing limitations. Originally, I had planned to present some of the camouflage patterns of the Red Army. Unfortunately, there were not that many historic Soviet camouflage patterns which are well-documented. Therefore, it is difficult to produce something that does not look like quite a lot like one of the patterns in the official distribution/Steam store without venturing into the realm of fantasy.

Trying to create a distinguishing appearance by adding slogans and tactical markings is likewise challenging in those circumstances: the best spots are taken up with the default decals. I've had some enthusiastic feedback about the look I am developing now, so it'd be a shame to have to strip back some of its most striking elements to improve visual compatibility.

Edit:
    What is the standard of historicity expected in the "historic" category? I have endeavoured to link together the units in my work as much as possible by location and time to the combat actions in the story-line, however it makes for a rather ad-hoc assortment. I cannot feasibly assign all of the materiel that is to be remodeled to a single unit. Is a fictitious Soviet unit, modeled on historic organisation and insignia, an appropriate way to create a thematic link?

Thanks for any of your insights in these matters!
  • georider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    AAM said:

What is the standard of historicity expected in the "historic" category? I have endeavoured to link together the units in my work as much as possible by location and time to the combat actions in the story-line, however it makes for a rather ad-hoc assortment. I cannot feasibly assign all of the materiel that is to be remodeled to a single unit. Is a fictitious Soviet unit, modeled on historic organisation and insignia, an appropriate way to create a thematic link?

Thanks for any of your insights in these matters!
    Historical accuracy for me is to look like they was, in your case you add more details making the units in the exact divisional doctrine, we used to do the same back in Coh1 mods where the old flames of war was our guide , but now I believe the way you making your mod is historical and accurate.
    Real , as starbuck said leave the nrm , spec glos out , only dif doing his job and if you have alp you just add the alp.
  • AAM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AAM
    If I add any unit insignia, default decals will create a historic clash one way or another. Hence my questions..
  • georider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    Yes understand , historical skinpacks need a blank decal sheat to play along. so they must add a blank decals in use.
  • realb33rm4n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starbuck said:
    Why are you burning the nrm,spc,and gls anyway?  Have you adjusted these?  If not, leave them out of the burn process.  They will just increase the total file size of your skin pack and make uploading a pain.

Yes  I change them for the winter pack and some of the summer pack but I will leave them out if notthing change.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The preview icons in game are not clear, I was able to get the inventory icon to work but not the picture that shows up with it of the actual tank. Instructions say to go to arrtibute editor which i do and can find, they i found the location but its just a blank text field. What do we put there and we do we put the preview icon in the folder structure ?
  • f_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f_x
    The preview icons in game are not clear, I was able to get the inventory icon to work but not the picture that shows up with it of the actual tank. Instructions say to go to arrtibute editor which i do and can find, they i found the location but its just a blank text field. What do we put there and we do we put the preview icon in the folder structure ?
    I am not an expert with the attribute editor but looking at an older skin pack where I got it working, here is where I put it:

Categories --> Inventory --> Skin Pack

In the Tree View there should be a folder with your modname, and in it one entry per vehicle weight class and season (<mod_description>_winter_heavy_armour, etc).  Click on one of them.

On the right pane, click on the "+" next to skin_pack_bag to open it, and there you should have the "icon_secondary".  From your description you've already made it this far.

Now copy the text entry from "icon", which will be something like "ModIcons_<long_unique_id_string>_icon".  Now paste it into the entry for "icon_secondary".  Append some other text to it so it's not the same as the original text from "icon".  So for example, the new entry might be "ModIcons_<long_unique_id_string>_icon_preview_heavy".  Now the mod tool will expect to find the file "icon_preview_heavy.png" in the icons directory, alongside your inventory icons.

Save and build the mod again.

• Stosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    I'm having an issue with my sdkfz 222 scout car. I've created my new skin for it as part of my mod, but it isn't updating in the game. I've done multiple updates with other vehicles and those have updated correctly. I thought I might have given it the wrong fine name and I'm not sure what the original file name was. I've named it both sdkfz_222_scout_dif and sdkfz_222_dif. Can anyone clarify that either of those are correct because both of those have not worked and the default light tan skin shows up. 
  • Starbuck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The file name is sdkfz221_dif.

• Starbuck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the Attribute Editor, go to icon_secondary and you should have:
    ModIcons_yourmodID_nameofpreviewpic

Put each preview pic(light, medium, large) in your UI folder with the size 250x190 as a png file
    Lemme know if that works
  • Stosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    Starbuck said:

Thank you, for some reason the link here with all the vehicles listed has it as a 222 http://modding.companyofheroes.com/skin-pack 
  • Starbuck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh said:
    Starbuck said:

Thank you, for some reason the link here with all the vehicles listed has it as a 222 http://modding.companyofheroes.com/skin-pack 
    Yep, the vehicle folder that file goes into is called sdkfz_222. 
    Easily confusing.

• Shriken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shriken polycounter lvl 11
    I'm struggling to find any maps for the bren carrier, the mesh was provided but its very difficult to finish my skin pack when I can't find the mesh resources such as the baked normal map :(. Am I missing something?
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starbuck said:
    In the Attribute Editor, go to icon_secondary and you should have:
    ModIcons_yourmodID_nameofpreviewpic

Put each preview pic(light, medium, large) in your UI folder with the size 250x190 as a png file
    Lemme know if that works
    Perfect worked thanks guys
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One other Icon question, with the preview swatch for L M H armor in the inventory, how do we get the little tank icon to show up in top left corner ?
  • f_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f_x
    One other Icon question, with the preview swatch for L M H armor in the inventory, how do we get the little tank icon to show up in top left corner ?
    You have to add it to your icon image manually.  I just did a screengrab of the skin inventory page in the game and lasso'd them from there.  Ditto for the snowflake for the winter versions.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lame sauce , thanks
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where do we put the steam workshop preview images, the instructions only say to select the file then burn them but not where to place them in the folder. When I do this my skins disapear in game
  • f_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f_x
    Where do we put the steam workshop preview images, the instructions only say to select the file then burn them but not where to place them in the folder. When I do this my skins disapear in game
    The images for Steam are independent from the mod tool process.  They don't need to be "burned" or be anywhere near the mod files.  Once you publish the mod from the game, a Steam workshop item is created and is owned by you.  From the Steam application you can find it (there are shortcuts to bring up just your workshop items).  When viewing a workshop item you own, you have a few options exposed on the right side including "Add/edit images & videos".  You can do this anytime but of course it's best if you upload your workshop images soon after you publish the mod so it doesn't sit there for too long with no pretty pictures for people to see.

The only images (besides the textures themselves) that are processed though the mod tools are the inventory icons, the preview icons, and the 280x280 preview tga.
  • f_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f_x
    Lame sauce , thanks
    I know!!!  When I first read that to make custom icons you need to install additional software I kinda expected it to at least create the winter and weight icons for you.  If you end up making more than one skin you will end up with your own template psd for the icons.