Home Contests & Challenges Archives Company of Heroes 2: WAR PAINT contest

WAR PAINT - Q&A

Replies

• puppeteer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    puppeteer polycounter lvl 4
    f_x said:
    I also tend to delete the tread tga's which the wizard creates.  If you are not going to change the tread maps, not having the files means the game will use the default set with your skin.  Having them included in your skin pack without modifying them is unnecessarily increasing your mod's file size.

Not only that, it also results in black treads where there should be transparency.
  • Grumpntug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grumpntug polycounter lvl 11
    Anyone else having trouble getting a copy of the game from the reclic crew?
  • f_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f_x
    Vailias said:
    I'd bet your colorspace is set in the file as sRGB, and that's not being taken into account when burned.

It was definitely worth a shot, but after trying various ways of removing the color profile (saving without it, save for web, stripping it from the file after the fact, etc) I still get the same results.  Sigh.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Grumpntug said:
    Seems to be taking awhile, I sent an email a couple days ago and still waiting for a key.

Hopefully they get them out soon as this contest is pretty short.
  • Grumpntug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice said:
    Grumpntug said:
    Seems to be taking awhile, I sent an email a couple days ago and still waiting for a key.

One of their crew messaged me here about it and I found out the steam ID needs to be the SteamID64 so I re-sent with that. I used this place to find out the ID64

https://steamid.io/

It's an odd process given the other steam workshop things I've done where you get the game for it but this SHOULD be what you need. I sent my gamer tag the first time because I'm not so smart and I think that put me back at the bottom of the stack in terms of email response. Just hope I get at least two weeks to work on it.
  • Shriken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shriken polycounter lvl 11
    f_x said:
    Vailias said:
    I'd bet your colorspace is set in the file as sRGB, and that's not being taken into account when burned.

It was definitely worth a shot, but after trying various ways of removing the color profile (saving without it, save for web, stripping it from the file after the fact, etc) I still get the same results.  Sigh.

so after some investigation into how the builder burns files, and the various formats it allows, the only way I can get normals and spec/gloss etc to build correctly is to turn off compression on the normal map file. I'm not sure if that indicates theres a bug with the compression on normal maps or if we are just missing some info on how we need to export the textures.

But for now, so we can continue skinning simply click the settings labelled below and untick "compressTextures" and they will look close enough to work with.

Hopefully Relic can confirm what we are doing wrong, but at least this works until then!

• soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grumpntug said:
    soulstice said:
    Grumpntug said:

One of their crew messaged me here about it and I found out the steam ID needs to be the SteamID64 so I re-sent with that. I used this place to find out the ID64

https://steamid.io/

It's an odd process given the other steam workshop things I've done where you get the game for it but this SHOULD be what you need. I sent my gamer tag the first time because I'm not so smart and I think that put me back at the bottom of the stack in terms of email response. Just hope I get at least two weeks to work on it.
    I just got a msg back too, that Steam ID thing is odd considering never having to do this for prior workshop contests. Oh well hopefully we'll get it soon. :) 
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Lets try this again. apologies if this is a double post. Posting seems to be problematic for me today

Its what you've all been waiting for:
    Meshes for all factions!

----------!Note!-----------

This is not an officially supported resource. 
    All included models are copyright to Relic Entertainment. 
    The models are provided as-is for the purposes of enhancing this competition.
    These are only to be used for modifying Company of Heroes 2.
    The UVs and mesh normals may not match exactly to the in-game models as these required cleanup after export. 

If you are changing the normal map or have details that need to match pixel to pixel, please check them in the game itself. 

US Expeditionary Force

Soviet Army

German Army
    *German Army does not include the Panther tank. Model would not export cleanly. 
    British Army

Oberkommando West

• Port-Seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Port-Seven polycounter lvl 7
    @Vailias: thanks for posting these, it's a huge help. 

• Grumpntug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at the files provided the number of PSDs dont match up with the number of vehicles per faction. That tells me there are probably shared files but it would be nice to know what the overlap is. I don't know what to be looking for. There's a texture break down on the wiki but it doesn't say file name, just vehicle type and the don't all match PSD names. It would be helpful to know what factions use what PSDs.
  • carpal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grumpntug said:
    Looking at the files provided the number of PSDs dont match up with the number of vehicles per faction. That tells me there are probably shared files but it would be nice to know what the overlap is. I don't know what to be looking for. There's a texture break down on the wiki but it doesn't say file name, just vehicle type and the don't all match PSD names. It would be helpful to know what factions use what PSDs.
    Yes, for example - Oberkommando West has 13 .psd's but 14 models. The missing .psd is SWS_Halftrack and none of the models look like this one actually. It is pretty specific.  Will try and give this whole thing a shot.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Model/texture overlap:

Soviet :
    KV1 and KV8
    SU-6 and Katyusha Rocket Truck

German: 
    Stug III G and E
    Panzer IV and  IV F1
    250 Halftrack and 251 Mortar halftrack

AEF: 
    M4A5 Sherman and Sherman Bulldozer

OKW:
    Goliath is a base German unit but the source PSD also appears to be missing here
    SWS_Halftrack IS actually missing the source PSD file 
    Panzer II Luchs is for a unit which is not pictured on the Skin-pack chart (do we need to skin that one if doing OKW?)
    (would be nice to see those texture issues fixed given the short turn time.)

British: 

Churchill - all variants shared. Minor model changes only.
  • georider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    I can't understand why you asking for meshes , you probably mean UVmap? , skins are already uvmaped , although there are not the easeast to understand or apply a propper cammo patern the vehicles/tanks have an already UVMAP (otherwise wont be posible to be inside).
    So skiners have to understand they way that existing uvmap works and make their own skins, personal I already skined every vehicle inside many times , and as well as from my exepience back in coh1 , sometimes the existing uvmap is not what a 2 D dev want , so we must be happy with the existing tools , in the past (coh1) there were no such tools, so if someone want to make skins he must understand the way that existing uvmap , the 3D dev way, working.
    In my personal point of view  the most dificult skins is the historical ones the ones that a 2D dev must get all his references make them close to reality, the ww2 one, and adjust them inside. The rest of the skins doesn't bother someone just choose a fictional or non fictonal pattern and add it .... , but for me it's a ww2 game , a ww2 post in a virtual enviroment and must be as must posible accurate as they were back then.
    So good luck , tools are there , ideas are in the books and references around the net globe, but history has happened , not accurate it in a wrong way and do not focus on banned and cursed matters.
    Thanks in advance.
  • reallymadmaveric
    Grumpntug said:
    For the axis side the panther , panzer iv and flak panzer(tank) and Puma armored car are shared files so you would need to make sure which ever german army you do make sure they are included
    The US M3 halftrack and Sherman 76 mm shared with the Soviets
    The British M5 is shared with the Soviets.. Im not totally sure but i think that is the lot but double check on 

http://companyofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Company_of_Heroes_2
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Georider - Everyone here understands how a UV map works.  All that's being said is that having the meshes would make working on skins WAY more efficient and involve a lot less guesswork and stabbing in the dark.  It should be about the art, not about surmounting a completely unnecessary barrier.
  • Spencer_Holmes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spencer_Holmes polycounter lvl 6
    I am trying to clone something and it don't come up with the option does anyone know if I am doing something wrong?
  • Shriken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shriken polycounter lvl 11
    @Spencer_Holmes I'm not sure the attrib editor is used for anything skin related, the mod builder set as a skin pack will work for it. But you need to set the game path in the mod builder options first at the top.
  • georider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    WarrenM said:
    Georider - Everyone here understands how a UV map works.  All that's being said is that having the meshes would make working on skins WAY more efficient and involve a lot less guesswork and stabbing in the dark.  It should be about the art, not about surmounting a completely unnecessary barrier.

I understand your point , maybe my english are not helping me to understand that, anyway , with that topic I also want to mentioned that the existing UVmaps are not so friendy using for skiners , thats why you must work hard to understand witch goes where.
  • Port-Seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Port-Seven polycounter lvl 7
    georider said:
     the existing UVmaps are not so friendy using for skiners , thats why you must work hard to understand witch goes where.
    And having a mesh to reference makes it easier, that's all.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    georider said:
    WarrenM said:

I understand your point , maybe my english are not helping me to understand that, anyway , with that topic I also want to mentioned that the existing UVmaps are not so friendy using for skiners , thats why you must work hard to understand witch goes where.
    For example, Im doing the tiger right now and the design I'm using has solid lines across it. When I look at the UV i see the top turret is split and unwrapped on different islands so the solid lines I'm using will not be continuous. I have to guess and check each time and load the game to see exactly where they are placed on the model. If I had the mesh I could just use quixel to preview or paint directly on it. It's a GIANT pain in the ass
  • realb33rm4n
  • georider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    skyline5gtr I have already understand the uvmap of king tiger, sturm tiger , jagdtiger , I have already make a basic skin where I draw my patterns and then add these in propper way in relic's UVMAP , as I said the existing uvmap is not so frioendy use for skiners and since the majority of my skins are reconstruction from my existing in coh1 , it took me over 2 months to readust in a propper way. So lads skinning in a historical way is not easy , skinning coh as well coh2 is just not add an apply pattern..... if you catch the point.
  • f_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f_x
    brandoom said:
    Maybe I can bug someone from Relic to upload a better West German - Hetzer .psd to the Tools Data app. Right now all the textures (spec nrm diff) are baked to one layer each =\
    If you can get them to do the same for the AEF Pershing and Calliope, it would be much appreciated!
  • JavaFern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JavaFern polycounter lvl 10
    German Army
    *German Army does not include the Panther tank. Model would not export cleanly. 

Oberkommando West

All is not lost, if you look closely they use the oberkommando panther model with a different texture for the german army
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JavaFern said:
    All is not lost, if you look closely they use the oberkommando panther model with a different texture for the german army
    I'd hoped so, but I hadn't tested the textures to be certain. :) 
    Thanks for confirming.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the mod editor tool, when you select all of the skins from the list why are the Germans Missing the Panzer 4 and the Panther ? How do you add them
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When packing i get this error 

Error building KurskSummer.mod: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Company of Heroes 2 Tools\AttributeEditorXML.exe failed with exit code -1. arguments --operation ModBinaryBurn --root 
  • reallymadmaveric
    they are in the west german list you need to select them as well as they are shared files as is the Puma and flakpanzer
  • f_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f_x
    In the mod editor tool, when you select all of the skins from the list why are the Germans Missing the Panzer 4 and the Panther ? How do you add them
    Most factions "borrow" a vehicle from another, in the sense that instead of having duplicate models and textures the game just uses the appropriate ones from the faction where that vehicle is originally found.  The Germans borrow the Panzer and the Panther from the Oberkommandos.  The Oberkommandos borrow the Ostwind from the Germans.  The Soviets borrow the 76mm Sherman from the US, and so forth.

I think if you create the mod with the wizard and start with the vehicles you need from the other faction, the mod might think you are providing skins for both factions.  There is probably a way to edit the attribute files and correct that, but I don't know it.  What I do is manually create the folders in the mod tool for the second army.  You have to create the same folder structure with the correct naming, including the unique id number in the summer and winter folders.  Then you have to add a bake directory and edit the settings.  It's a bit convoluted, but some of this is explained much better in these short tutorial vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y43EGd2vHSE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT4NjtKZaR8

If you are going to manually add those entries to your mod, I would still recommend creating a second dummy mod with both the German and Oberkommando vehicles so you can compare the folder structure and naming.

• f_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f_x

Error building KurskSummer.mod: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Company of Heroes 2 Tools\AttributeEditorXML.exe failed with exit code -1. arguments --operation ModBinaryBurn --root 
    I can't be 100% sure this is the cause, but a well known problem exists with mod tool and paths that are too long.  For example, something like this might fail:

C:\Users\me\Documents\coh2\working\test\competition\whatever\long\path\mymod

But the same mod files in a shorter path will work:

C:\Users\me\mymod

Are your files nested deep in a long list of subdirectories?  If so, moving it up to your home directory or desktop is worth a try.

Hope this helps.
  • AAM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AAM
    Is there a canonical list of units to be included anywhere?

For example, the Soviet faction is listed as "15 vehicles". There are only 12 source .PSD files in the official Tools Data distribution, of which two are shared (KV-1/KV-8 and ZiS-6/BM-13 "Katyusha"). This leaves an additional vehicle, which may be either the M4A3 Sherman (in the American art archive) or the Il-2 aircraft (in the Soviet archive).

I am leaning towards the Sherman, as it is seen more in the game. Does that mean that the mod needs to include a replacement skin for the American Sherman art as a "medium vehicles" collection? Thanks for your help.
  • georider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    Soviets using the M4A3 76 W as leand lease sherman , on the other hand USF using leand lease "soviet" halftrack it's the M5/M16 aa flack. British using the USF halftrack , germans of eastern front using Panzer IV and Panzer V of germans western front as long as the Puma, and Germans western front using Ostwind, goliath. Wheen you start skin editor if you msking i.e usf skinpack you must choose the above soviet halftrack etc etc.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So using the mod builder tool I was able to extract only 17 texture files from US Forces, it's listed under wiki as having 18 vehicles.  Any clarification?  From looking at the small thumbnails it looks like the missing texture belongs to M4A3_Sherman.  Any clarification?

Edit: Disregard this, just read through some of the older posts.  :)
  • Bartek_RE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys!
    My name is Bartek Nowakowski, and I am a Senior Artist here at Relic. I've been on the Company of Heroes franchise for over 7 years now, so I hope to be more than capable at answering any of your art and pipeline related questions :blush:  

We love what we see so far - keep going!
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartek_RE said:
    Hey guys!
    My name is Bartek Nowakowski, and I am a Senior Artist here at Relic. I've been on the Company of Heroes franchise for over 7 years now, so I hope to be more than capable at answering any of your art and pipeline related questions :blush:  

We love what we see so far - keep going!

• georider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    Bartek , in some models the uvmap mesh with the skin , i have 3 examples, 1st in hetzer the flame gun bore lent skin in the left side of the skin , 2nd in L/60 gun of panzer IV the gun barel lent part of the rear skin of the uper skirts and 3rd in pather , the gun bore lent skin from the rear escape hatch. In first look someone might say that these are minor issues but , for us who make historical skins meshing with decals and insignias. Is any posibility to fix these UVmap/meshes?
    Thank you in advance.
  • AndresTC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've followed the wiki to build a skin pack.  Finish everything hit build but I don't see the finish build file under ...Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes 2\mods\skins folder.  I do however see *.sga of skin mods I've downloaded from the workshop in that folder.  Not sure where to go from here, any ideas? :|

• georider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    soulstice said:
    So I've followed the wiki to build a skin pack.  Finish everything hit build but I don't see the finish build file under ...Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes 2\mods\skins folder.  I do however see *.sga of skin mods I've downloaded from the workshop in that folder.  Not sure where to go from here, any ideas? :|

make a mod folder outside my documents i.e desctop make a name "my mod" or whatever is your name mod, when you use tools make a atrib and a mod file in that dir with the same name as the mod , also open picture goes there , icons to icons skins to skins, after is the skin choise, then acording to your faction you will choose the skin , with click in the tanks/vehicles names summer/winder, remember the faction that using other faction vehicles , i.e east germans using west german pnzIV, pnzV, puma, vise versa west using ostwind, goliath etc etc....
  • realb33rm4n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the game it's very unstable and it crash so often... it happens only to me? it was very stable when I bought it 4 month ago. The steam error that appear after the game crashed is " Start game Fail (application already strarted )"
  • Yuriy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont know if anybody found this  -  if you choose brits to reskin , meshes are available from start. They are in the "dependencies" folders of each vehicle. And , actually , part of sbs files. So if you are using substance designer , you will able to see model right away.
    But i have couple questions , tho . Where is the Bren carrier skin ? There is no such folder and no mentions of shared textures\assets .
    M3 Halftrack is shared between Soviers , UKF and USF . Do we need to reskin this model too or we can skip it and just do only faction unique models ?  

EDIT: Ok , so when i opened brits valentine i got an error - file not found [valentine_path]/dependencies/bren_carrier.sbs .  
  • realb33rm4n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I cannot see any new skins. Also if I download new skins from the workshop I am not able to use them in game.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    georider said:
    soulstice said:

make a mod folder outside my documents i.e desctop make a name "my mod" or whatever is your name mod, when you use tools make a atrib and a mod file in that dir with the same name as the mod , also open picture goes there , icons to icons skins to skins, after is the skin choise, then acording to your faction you will choose the skin , with click in the tanks/vehicles names summer/winder, remember the faction that using other faction vehicles , i.e east germans using west german pnzIV, pnzV, puma, vise versa west using ostwind, goliath etc etc....
    Hey Georider,  I'm a bit confused I've already created a mod folder with Mod Builder and the folder is outside of my documents its just in my designated drive.  But isn't the final result with Mod Builder once I click build suppose to spit out a file into "Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes 2\mods\skins "?  I don't see anything in that folder after I hit build.  When I load up the game I also don't see my skins in the inventory?
  • georider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    if they are not there then the mod did not constructed properly . Be aware when you are using tools no coh2 must be running, or atrib editor or other tool .
  • georider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    Yuriy  british using the M3 from USF the one that have the enginees, Soviets have a halftrack a leand lease this one is M5/M16 (upgrade with quad 0.50 aa) , so USF using that halftrack with the last comander (one with calleopi).
  • realb33rm4n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got this error now: Error building myMod: Flex SDK JAR J:\Flex_sdk\lib\mxmlc.jar not found.
    I installed the adobe flex sdk but the error persist
  • realb33rm4n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I fixed the Flex_sdk error. The archive was corrupted and some files missing.
    But now I got this new error, here the log:
    Built skinpacco.mod.
    Building skinpacco.mod...
    J:\Giochi\Steam\steamapps\common\Company of Heroes 2 Tools\AttributeEditorXML.exe --operation ModBinaryBurn --root "J:\Giochi\Steam\steamapps\common\Company of Heroes 2 Tools\assets\data\attributes\attributes.xml" --mod "C:\mods\my_skin\skinpacco.xml" --burn_path "C:\mods\my_skin\skinpacco Intermediate Cache\Intermediate Files\attrib\attrib"
    Copying C:\mods\my_skin\locale\english\english.ucs...
    Writing C:\mods\my_skin\skinpacco Intermediate Cache\Intermediate Files\info\835262260c2c41c79c40ea7198b07a5a.info...
    Burning C:\mods\my_skin\preview.tga...
    J:\Giochi\Steam\steamapps\common\Company of Heroes 2 Tools\Burn.exe  --source "C:\mods\my_skin\preview.tga" --dest "C:\mods\my_skin\skinpacco Intermediate Cache\Intermediate Files\info" --plugin "generic-image to generic-dds" --param "alpha_edge" "False" --param "black_border" "False" --param "compress_textures" "True" --param "flip_image" "False" --param "force_format" "False" --param "mip_drop" "0" --param "preferred_format" "0" --param "rescale_np2" "False" --param "tex_sharpen" "False" --param "want_mipmaps" "2" --game_data "J:\Giochi\Steam\steamapps\common\Company of Heroes 2 Tools\assets\data"
    Embedding 1 assets in C:\mods\my_skin\skinpacco Intermediate Cache\ModIcons_835262260c2c41c79c40ea7198b07a5a.mxml...
    Embedding 1 symbols in C:\mods\my_skin\skinpacco Intermediate Cache\835262260c2c41c79c40ea7198b07a5a-Config.xml...
    Generating C:\mods\my_skin\skinpacco Intermediate Cache\835262260c2c41c79c40ea7198b07a5a-FlexConfig.xml...
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_66\bin\java.exe  -Xmx1024m -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -jar "lib\mxmlc.jar" +flexlib=frameworks "-load-config+=C:\mods\my_skin\skinpacco Intermediate Cache\835262260c2c41c79c40ea7198b07a5a-Config.xml" "-load-config+=C:\mods\my_skin\skinpacco Intermediate Cache\835262260c2c41c79c40ea7198b07a5a-FlexConfig.xml" -o "C:\mods\my_skin\skinpacco Intermediate Cache\Intermediate Files\data\ui\Bin\835262260c2c41c79c40ea7198b07a5a.swf" -link-report "C:\mods\my_skin\skinpacco Intermediate Cache\835262260c2c41c79c40ea7198b07a5a-LinkReport.xml"
    Error building skinpacco.mod: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_66\bin\java.exe failed with exit code 1.

• Horus1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what do they mean buy having a work in progress thread??? 
  • georider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    Real, "C:\mods\my_skin\skinpacco.xml"  rename the mod with the same name the same folder also that preview.tga must meshing the all skinpack.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey geo seems like you were right something wrong with mod builder on my pc.  I tried this on my laptop and the build spat out a file at the end.  thanks!