Home Unreal Engine

Need help troubleshooting metal material issue in UE4

Hello,

Need help troubleshooting metal material issue in UE4. Material does not look the same in UE4 as it does in Substance. Please take a look at the screenshots. The first two are from substance with the desired look and the rest are from UE4 where it is black and normal detail can only be seen from the side. I'd  appreciate any advice. ThxAny

Replies

• EliasWick
    Offline / Send Message
    EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
    Greetings, I am not a professional by any means. So I will just give some thoughts on what I think that It might be:

1. Have you used a "Sphere reflection capture"?
    2. Have you played around with your light settings?

Keep in mind that what you see in Substance designer or any other software outside of Unreal might give you a different result that what you expect.

Sorry for not being of to much help! If you have any questions regarding the Sphere reflection capture, just send me a message or answer here! :)
  • PacoChan
    Hi!

It's also important to disable the "sRGB" checkbox in the texture's properties. You need to do this with this kind of maps like roughness, metallic, etc, because the maps will generally be interpreted as darker otherwise. So materials will appear less rough and so on. I can't give a proper explanation since english isn't my native language and I still find hard to understand some things about sRGB, linear and gamma space and all that. But you will find a lot of info out there.

Greetings!
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    What material is that area supposed to depict? If it's cast iron it shouldn't be metallic, and also should probably be a little bit brighter.

Anything that's metal in UE4 is going to need to have a bright base color in order to look correct.
  • rayle1112
    Offline / Send Message
    rayle1112 polycounter lvl 6
    You have to uncheck sRGB in the roughness and metallic maps
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Also, when using PBR it's a good idea to keep your values in the range of 0.2-0.8 to prevent value multiplication issues in-engine. i.e: a fully red value in your albedo will multiply under a red light and blow out. Or what could be in your case: a fully black value will multiply in shadow and make the normal map invisible from certain angles. My guess is that that is your problem(provided you've set up your normal map and gamma in UE4 correctly)
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Also, when using PBR it's a good idea to keep your values in the range of 0.2-0.8 to prevent value multiplication issues in-engine. i.e: a fully red value in your albedo will multiply under a red light and blow out. Or what could be in your case: a fully black value will multiply in shadow and make the normal map invisible from certain angles. My guess is that that is your problem(provided you've set up your normal map and gamma in UE4 correctly)
    I'd say it's this as well. You can't have pure black and a metal, because metals are already set to black and use the original albedo color as the specular color. You're taking a black albedo and using a black specular color on it.