Home Articles

Holy crap, Arkham Asylum

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19

I'm extremely late to the party, I know. But I just finished that amazing game last night.

If its alright with you guys I'd like to forgo the music playlists and awesome videos to jog your memories back to August 2009 when I am sure you all enjoyed Batman: Arkham Asylum as much as I just did over the weekend. You see, I had borrowed it from a friend when it first came out, but rage quit (can't remember why) when the Joker does his death taunt (black background), which corrupted my save file. My fault, understood. Per a reminder found on Shacknews, I got the GOTY edition on Steam (final price to me: $3, after emptying my Steam wallet of $10 or so) and convinced myself to play a bit on Saturday. Which turned in to 8 hours by the time I had finished somewhere on Sunday.

This game, without doubt, is one of the best games I have ever played in my history as a gamer. It's so well polished. So well told. So well directed. When I finished the game, I was laying in bed and couldn't sleep because my mind was still 'there', in the Asylum, wondering about it blankly.

Rocksteady, in my eyes, has put the best use to the Unreal engine out of any developer to date. Including, dare I say, Epic. What I love the most about this is prior to its release, they were game developer 'nobodies' in the minds of the community. Talk about knocking it out of the park on your first big go. Stories like these are what make me the happiest as a developer.

id did it with Doom. DMA (Rockstar) did it with Grand Theft Auto. Valve did it with Half-life. And Rocksteady has done it with Batman: Arkham Asylum.

One of my very few complaints was variation in the set piece boss fights. Exponentially difficult enemies was good the first few times, but to pepper the game with these all the way up until the final fight had become a bit dry. Luckily for Rocksteady, the combat system was so solid and make-you-feel-like-a-fucking-badass that I was able to overlook it until I had finished the game outright.

Speaking of finishing the game, eesh - what a bummer for an ending. 'Have a good night, Jim!' then vroooosh - fly away, as if its the end of a comic. I can appreciate that choice, but to me B:AA was way more than a story told in the pages of the comics and I wanted something 'more' to the ending.

I loved this game. As I said earlier, its one of the best that I have ever played in my entire history as a gamer. Rocksteady went from a 'Who?' to a 'Would buy again, instantly.' after Batman: Arkham Asylum

Related Links

• Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY on Steam

Replies

• sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loved the game, wish the boss battles incorperated the tools more (like pulling down walls on Ivy's vines, setting charges to stop croc from running at you, etc). Going as Scarecrow from the game for halloween, hardest damn costume I've ever made. That was probably one of the best moments in gaming to, the Scarecrow sequence.
  • VidGameDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Superb graphics but...it just wasn't my cup of tea
    i mean no game is truly perfect, otherwise we wouldn't even bother making them =P lol
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Polycount news is now the old games Adam is finally playing. Don't you have a blog or something?
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    yeah man, I`d be careful what you post as news-worthy on the front page. Too many non sequitur posts and polycount will end up being the next Kotaku :P

Batman is a fantastic game, and I agree with everything your saying- but timing is everything.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    F that noise! I save Monday's for my random bullshit so you will read this post AND LIKE IT!
    Joking a side, don't be dinks. It was a random post for Monday's opener where I didn't want to scrounge for music and videos but instead talk about something from last year. Now drink your coffee and get over it while I make a post-it note saying 'Never do that again!' and put it on my monitor.

<3
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    I played it over at a friends. Even thou im not a batman person per say i had a lot of fun.
  • ngs616
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my opinion, (future king of the world)

Post like these are good too. It's about a great video game with amazing graphics.
    Graphics are a big part of why we are all here in the first place :)
    He was recommending a game that by a lot of people was overlooked.
    I played the demo, liked it a lot, but could not afford it. And if it would not have gone on sale so cheap on steam i wouldn't have bought it! I've yet to play the full version, been working too hard to break for it, but this post has me excited to play!

The new one looks like its going to be awesome.

Its good to start the Monday off with something like this. Those videos and songs are good too though! :D
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I just picked it up this weekend as well. It's nagging me to play (I played the stellar demo) but I'm trying to finish Fallout: New Vegas before digging into another game.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    *possible spoilers*

One of the best sequences of any game I've played, is where you're in the library (?), and the corridor gradually changes into the alleyway, and you walk up to the death scene of Wayne's parents. If you'd never known the Batman history, that would have been a brilliant way to learn about it. It gave me goosebumps when I played through it first.

And the first time you play through one of the Scarecrow's levels? Fuck me, were they amazingly executed.

I thought Killer Croc could have been more badass. His level/s were a bit of a letdown.

Otherwise, I loved it. Well done, Rocksteady.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Great game!

Cant wait for the next in the series :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Hehe, funny! I beat the game last night too for the first time. :P
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Man, I never beat this because my mobo died, but now I guess I'll have to. Seems a fitting way to spend at least part of my Halloween weekend...
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    I don't think it matters that you're a year late to this party, this game is so well done that it'll hold up for the next few years IMO. Hell, reading your article makes we want to go play it right now. The game is great, and I agree that Rocksteady played to the Engine's strengths to create this game and did one of the best jobs at it. Streaming between level areas was clever (i.e. crawling through an airvent). Man this game was good! You would never really expect this from a licensed title, but it now sets a standard. F**k it, i'm skipping work today! I'm gonna go play Batman!