Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chrono Trigger Millenial Fair

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
praetus interpolator
I started working on this a bit ago as a home project to improve my hand painting skills as well as creating an environment using UE4. Most all textures are diffuse only and I am taking advantage of UE4 mainly for vertex blending as well as some fx work to come. I've gotten to a point that I feel confident in posting and garnering critiques to make it an overall better piece.

IYGWiEI.jpg

WY85TlR.jpg

I've taken some liberties with the design. Some things that work well in 2d sprites don't translate very well (or can be boring) so I changed some things while trying to keep the overall tone. I flaired the two main stairways to give them more character. I also curved the minor landing stairways as having them straight didn't work well as they felt too small. For this project I am focusing on this main area and leaving out Gato (the robot area) and the caveman area.

Still need to make
  • Trees
  • Flora
  • singularity
  • wind/animation for flags, ivy, leaves in wind.

I've included a few more prop shots so you can see some of the items up close.

LHBvA7x.jpg

trlOjsN.jpg

haCQ0Wi.jpg

Here's the ref.

3TqYcL4.png

Replies

• Stavaas
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Beautiful stuff so far, really brings back memories! Looks like you've really nailed the style already!
  • TomGT
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Nice! Immediately recognized the plaza. The UE4 shots appear a bit washed out though.

Are you going to let UE4 do the shadows and some AO for you? Otherwise some handpainted shadow splats beneath those generators for instance would be great.

I can feel a rush of nostalgia coming along already. Looking forward to your progress!
  • tomenjerry
    Offline / Send Message
    tomenjerry polycounter lvl 6
    Nice! played this on the DS couple months ago. Nice!!!
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    TomGT wrote: »
    Nice! Immediately recognized the plaza. The UE4 shots appear a bit washed out though.

Are you going to let UE4 do the shadows and some AO for you? Otherwise some handpainted shadow splats beneath those generators for instance would be great.

I can feel a rush of nostalgia coming along already. Looking forward to your progress!

I'm going to mess with the lighting in UE4 a bit and see what I can do. First tests with shadows are coming out way too dark so I've got some tweaking to do. Worst case I can do splat planes but it's something I'd rather not rely on.

Thanks for the support everyone!
  • Em.
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Love the color palette and translation from sprites to 3D, once you get the lighting and shadows worked out this is going to be sweet.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Got some lighting in there and starting to test some trees. Still a long ways to go. I also started taking advantage of vertex blending on the cobblestone floor and also the wall tiles.

IK8ZVem.jpg

DBMeoXd.jpg

7ZUREoK.jpg
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator

I managed to get Apex cloth working.  I might tweak it a bit but I'm pretty excited about it.  Never really messed with PhysX stuff before.  Fixed the trees up a bit and messed with lighting.
  • praetus
  • palexpereira
    Offline / Send Message
    palexpereira polycounter lvl 7
    Great job :) 
    Even with such a simple light setup, it really came together
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So, as a quick test I added a pixel post process effect.  I think I'll just call it the nostalgia filter

• Yogensya
    Offline / Send Message
    Yogensya polycounter lvl 9
    Beautiful work, it really feels like the game :)
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Palexpereira, Yogensya - Thanks!  I appreciate the encouragement.  I still have a ways to go and to get some tweaking done on some of the meshes.  I'm really not happy with the grass planes at the moment because they just feel way too planar, especially when viewed from a top angle.  I'm hoping to get some more work done on it tonight and post some updates.  The pixel filter is fun, but it takes away from the hand painted aspect I was going for.  Worst case I can render out a final movie with it turned on and off.
  • theblueturtle_
    Offline / Send Message
    theblueturtle_ polycounter lvl 3
    Love it. Excellent reinterpretation!
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Looks dope!

You should probably do something about the grass shading. They really look like cardboard planes now.. Maybe force the normals upwards? If that breaks the SSAO, see if there is some transmission shader you could use.

Crazy idea:  put some parallax on the stone textures. Parallax on hand painted isn't that common, but I think it could be cool.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    ST4LIS - I definitely agree.  The grass is the number one thing I feel is killing the scene right now.  I've been looking at how some other games handle their foliage and am trying out some different methods tonight.  I tried to do a 2 sided foliage shader and they started to glow really weird and didn't look right.  I'll have to do some more research into it.  As for the stones, that could be a cool idea.  I might run some tests on it and see how it comes out.
  • wirrexx
    Online / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    I'd buy that remake in a heartbeat! My all time favourite game!!!
  • jacob thomas
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob thomas polycounter lvl 9
    This is such an awesome idea. Right in the feels of my childhood.
    You are off to a great start. My only thoughts at this stage is you are currently lacking the vibrance of the original, particularly in the foliage and the highly saturated balloons and tents.

*subscribed.
  • hobbes
    Offline / Send Message
    hobbes polycounter lvl 5
    I love the Pixel Post Process effect! Oh man does that take me back! Excellent work, keep it up!
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator

I got some more work done tonight on it.  Balloons are a bit brighter and I evened out the trees a little bit.  I also added a a painted backdrop to the forest that isn't terribly evident in these screeenshots but it stops the sky from bleeding through the trees at low angles and blowing out the brightness.  I also realized my opacity map isn't working on the purple stalls...oops.  Will fix.

I'd like to test some stuff out with parallax on the cobblestones as suggested but haven't had much luck as of yet.  It either didn't work at all or it did but it destroyed my vertex painting so I'm doing something wrong there so far.  I've turned off the pixel shading for now but I plan on rendering out two fly throughs at the end so I can show it on.  Next up is making some fx so that this looks impressive in real time.  I plan on making some leaves that blow off trees with the wind and also the singularity between the teleporters.  Let me know what you think!
  • Kel-Shaded
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    Loving this dude, great idea
  • hobodactyl
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Looking great, I love the nostalgia filter, it works on me :)
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    I actually prefer the environment with the pixel filter.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    haha I prefer it with nostalgia filter too!
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I think your lighting/shadowing could be improved a lot. Right now you don't have enough ambient light, especially under your tree line. The shadows are just black.

I'd suggest you remove the cast shadows from your ground foliage completely, your grass texture is really dense and with cast shadows turned on it just looks like cardboard. I'd also echo the point someone else mentioned above that you should point the vertex normals up so that it can look like it's inheriting more of the lighting from the terrain which will help a lot with getting it to shade better.

The same applies to your tree canopies, the leaf planes you've put on it just look like paper cutouts. Turning off shadowing of your canopies would be bad though so your only real option (if you want to address it) is to add more leaf planes. Constructing trees like that really works best when the trees don't self-shadow.

Improving the ambient lighting so that your shadows are not black will help in both those cases though so I'd do that first and decide from there what is necessary.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator

Changes - Took off shadow from grass planes and edited vertex normals to point up.  Also stopped shadows from being cast on the tree leaf planes.  Adjusted ambient sky light brightness and color to fill in some of the dark areas away from pure black.  Also, not terribly visible in still shots but I've added some leaf particles that blow in the wind.  Most the big stuff is more or less done aside from the singularity and some small changes.

As for the pixel filter, I like it but it does somewhat detract from the hand painted textures.  When I finally render this out for a fly through, I plan on doing one with and one without to test it.
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, this is awesome! Such nostalgia. The foliage looks like it could use some contrast. Everything looks a bit washed out.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    "Everything looks a bit washed out."
    Yeah, that seems to be a fine line at the moment.  Something I've seen said about hand painted environments is that they are low contrast so the characters will stand out from them and now fight for the eye, but how low is too low?  I'll have to take a look at this but it may be something I can fix qwith some post processing.  We'll see.  I've been lazy because of Fallout 4 but I worked on the portal a bit tonight.  Not sure if I'm set with this direction, but we'll see.  Also, I realize that it doesn't do much without seeing the material in motion since it is animated.  Maybe I can do something about that later.

• praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Frame rate w as a little low on capture, but it gives an idea of where I am at.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRLlA7rbhmA
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    More or less done.  Going to render out some final renders for artstation, but here is a fly through video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hW7XdV3yIo