Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: How to use already made diffuse in Quixel?

After watching Quixel tutorials in youtube and browsing the web, I am still at a lost on how to do this. This will be my first time using Quixel for texturing. I polypainted in Zbrush and able to baked out the color vertex into my low poly using Topogun to use as my color ID for Quixel. I also have a separate polypaint in Zbrush, material color and patterns for my model....I wanted to use Quixel to get the material texture for the clothes in my character (leather, cotton, wood etc)...how do I apply my actual "diffuse" color/patterns into the quixel workflow?

Any explanation, link, tutorials, is greatly appreciated..sorry for the noob question

Replies

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    you mean you want to add a color layer that is not created in DDO?
    just add it to a layer in photoshop, it will be added inside the ddo stack as well.

sorry if I'm misunderstanding the question
  • flipside8404
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you mean you want to add a color layer that is not created in DDO?
    just add it to a layer in photoshop, it will be added inside the ddo stack as well.

sorry if I'm misunderstanding the question

Sorry if my question was a bit confusing...but yeah, I wanted to add color and patterns/decals not created in DDO..
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    then I think that will do the trick,

Just think of it as a contribution to photoshop, you can still use photoshop the same way as you always have.
  • flipside8404
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Every Quixel Suite project has AFAIK a group where you can put custom layers,but creating a layer and not putting it in those groups (called custom masks or something) can lead to some crazy mess in DDO.
  • flipside8404
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub wrote: »
    Every Quixel Suite project has AFAIK a group where you can put custom layers,but creating a layer and not putting it in those groups (called custom masks or something) can lead to some crazy mess in DDO.

Thanks for the heads up!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you start the project there should be a slot for "pre baked diffuse" or something like that. You can add it there, or add is as a layer as others have suggested.

This is true for the 2.0 beta and I think 1.* versions of the Suite as well. For legacy dDo you have to put it in a special place as mentioned above.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Yes, post 1.7 (or something — check the release notes) you can add layers anywhere without consequence; though previously you did indeed have to place custom layers in each material's custom blank layers as Fansub said, of which there was 6. So if you're running 1.8 and you can't find any blank named layers (try searching layers for "custom") that's probably why.
  • flipside8404
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the input...but I am about to pull my hair out...Quixel or Photopshop keeps crashing..first after inputting the maps (mesh,colorID, normal,ao,heightmap) it wouldn't pick up all the material ID colors (I used the swatches from DDO for photoshop), after manually assigning the material color and creating the base layer, not all base material are made (i.e. eyeball, iris, pupil, leather)..reloading the maps and recreating a base layer would give a different color ID material not being recognized and a different material not being produced within the base layer.....another instance, created all base material but this time there was a large color bleed in between the color maps (all in the same time using the exact same maps)....other instances the suite will just crash...

I am using Quixel 1.8 and PS CC 2015...any input or suggestion to get a decent base layer?
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    You should ask a moderator to move this thread in the Quixel Suite sub-forum,you will get the help you want there :)
  • EarthQuake
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    When you start the project there should be a slot for "pre baked diffuse" or something like that. You can add it there, or add is as a layer as others have suggested.

This is true for the 2.0 beta and I think 1.* versions of the Suite as well. For legacy dDo you have to put it in a special place as mentioned above.
    the Albedo base map slot is the word you are looking for, at least for 1.8 and below. It's towards the bottom of the stack where you import all your bake maps before starting the project.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, you can plug in a pre baked Albedo, Spec and so on in the Base Creator. :)