Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge April 2015 (29)

Replies

• rikcharr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rikcharr polycounter lvl 5
    @dsenter: Maybe it's just me, but your room looks a little shorter than the concept right now. Everything else is looking good so far.

This thread has been busy, didn't think I would miss this much already. I think I have enough time this month, so I'm going to give the environment a go. Looks like it should be pretty fun. Right now, I think I have my block out pretty well finished. Still some things left to do before I move on.

p2fb2Qc.jpg
  • Khaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty good progress on everything i'm seeing here :).

My progress on the incubator. need to do the strap and back support part. will probably give it some feet on the bottom too. lots of details left to do on the doors.

6lNTPHK.jpg
  • Gladius Altra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was unable to finish last months environment unfortunately due to catching something fierce that had me bedridden for 2 weeks. So this month I decided to start with the prop to get something done and then I'll move onto the environment. Here is my progress for tonight. Pretty happy with the pace and I seem to have gotten the scale about right (please correct me if I don't). By tomorrow I hope to have the high poly finished (with zbrush sculpting of imperfections) and the low poly built and somewhat unwrapped. I'm considering learning substance for this project and the environment.

@Khaja Your backpack+incubator looks to be a bit tall. The incubator itself in the concept looks to be near a perfect square If you fix the incubator shape it should shape up the backpack to the right dimensions.

Tx6f7hU.jpgKb49aUB.jpghmiizkF.jpg
  • dsenter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dsenter polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks @rikcharr. I heightened it a little bit but something does still seem off. In the mean time I added more detail to get a better feel for the space. I'm thinking I'll start blocking the tilable textures in Substance Designer tomorrow.

Blocking2_zpsvltn8gh0.jpg

Edit: Looking at this again, I think the room should be deeper. I'll fix that before I start texturing.

@Gladius I really like how your prop is looking. You should really consider using substance. If for nothing else than generating the edge wear on the incubator.
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonConley polycounter lvl 8
    @dsenter, that's looking really good. The more I do the more I wish I did more of a block out.

Update for today. Worked on the metal siding up top, and then sculpted a repeating brick material. Baked to a plane and have yet to do the albedo.
    Progress_zpstk8nlwbc.png~original
  • Skibur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skibur polycounter lvl 5
    Been working on the straps and stuff

fFKzGjM.jpg
  • dsenter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JonConley, I like that ground material! Your bricks are too large though, making the locker scale seem off.
  • MarekS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got stuck on my other project so, I decided to try something new. This is what i have so far.

front_p115.png
    open_p115.png

back_p115.png
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f1r3w4rr10r polycounter lvl 9
    @MarekS: You might want to try to flatten those angular surfaces out. Sure it's something you can fix later with a normal map as well, but starting correctly there might already be an advantage.
  • rikcharr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonConley - I agree with dsenter. The brick feels a bit large, but the floor looks nice. The vertical pillar on the left looks a little soft to me. Could just be the lighting, but it just stands out next to the horizontal i-beam.

Skibur - That's looking real good.

Haven't made as much progress as I would have liked. I think I can call my block out done, and move onto the brick, floor, and ceiling textures next.

7WY2aqJ.jpg
  • osamano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have only figured out the general lighting in UE4 with the box models.
    Room2.jpg

The scene will be made with more detailed models, then I will see about adding more lights.
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @rikcharr and @dsenter yeah the brick was too big. I had just baked it and toss it on a plane in Unity before heading to bed.

Also @rikcharr, I'll agree that beam seems out of place, currently it's just the ibeam rotated, I'll be going back at it in substance painter to add some damage to the top.
    Progress_zpsl5mwpwiw.png~original
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 10
    PFL for that prop!
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't get as much accomplished as I would have liked today. Ended up spending a lot of time doing some contract programming. Made a few pipe pieces that I used to add in most of the piping. I will work on the material for them tomorrow, along with actually getting a ceiling.

W3uWw4V.jpg
  • Switchs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im a complete noob, I spent about 6 hours doing this, and then someone from 4chan came and did this :c https://i.4cdn.org/3/1428637180636.webm

JWfyNf4.jpg
  • lloydj14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lloydj14 polycounter lvl 6
    @jonconley lockers are looking pretty solid. Actually think i need to dull my own a little bit.

@switchs well we all have to learn :) He was obviously confident in what he does.

Hi all not took part in challenge for a quite a while. Here is a render out of 3Do of my lockers. Think it just a little to shiny/clean for the amount of wear and scratches on it.

gfFO0MQ.png
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland polycounter lvl 9
    @Skibur: nice straps

Sub-D Progress. Still need to cut in hinge for egg door and add the heating element under the egg box.
    x9XD5yz.png
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Making the prop challenge...Base mesh done, don't know if I'll be making a highpoly and baking normal maps or just finish this lowpoly and paint the normal maps in something like Substance Painter. Any C&C welcome : )

mVZQR5N.jpg
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Justo: I like your base mesh. Your floating vent on the egg box is a bit too far back. In the concept the cylinder and vent seem to line up vertically.

I cut in the egg box hinge and added the heating element. Most of the hardsurface is done, moving on to straps.
    S0iCNGs.png
    nEzi58C.png
  • Skibur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skibur polycounter lvl 5
    I think I'm done with the high poly. I just noticed that I forgot the two little latch things at the top of the front part.
    Oh, forgot the key slot as well :| Probably more I haven't noticed yet...

FI7fN2W.jpg
    CY8qLsr.jpg
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @DonEngland: Thanks! Hadn't seen that, I'll fix it. I'm digging your mesh too, though why use that glossy red? It makes it hard to appreciate the modeling, in my opinion.

@Skibur: Nice high poly man! Are you planning on baking it down to a lowpoly? How so, will you do it by exploding the mesh's parts?
  • PrimePriest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PrimePriest polycounter lvl 3
    @ Switchs: Did you expect anything less from 4chan? :D Keep up the good work.
  • dsenter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow all the props are looking great!

Here is where I'm currently at on the environment. I started in on the textures in Substance Designer. I like how the brick is looking in SD but need to tweak it in Unreal. My scene is way to bright at the moment, I'm strugging with the lighting. Does anyone have any advice? The room is sealed off but there seems to be light leakage or an ambient light I don't see.

What do you guys think the girder material is? It looks almost like its painted a dark yellow in some spots, in others it just looks like a bronze color or rusty iron.

TextureStart_zpsjeeguscn.jpg
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Justo: Thanks! For the vent and cylinder I am a bit torn. Right now I have the inner and outer boxes aligned. In the concept, it looks like the inner box has the cylinder and vent pushed back. You can see this in Skibur's egg box. This seems to be a trade off between matching the concept and making mechanical sense. I suspect that matching the concept is more important than being mechanically correct for portfolio purposes.

I generally use a highly reflective material when checking smoothing. I suppose it doesn't come across as well as wires.

Ortho wires
    PZDkEdn.png
  • rikcharr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dsenter - The albedo of the bricks looks good. I'm not sure if there is a normal map or not, if there is it probably needs to be stronger. Without seeing your exact lighting setup, I would say it is most likely a skylight that has its brightness cranked up to high. Could also be a directional light set not to cast shadows if your meshes don't have a back face, but I don't know for sure. As far as the girders go, I envisioned them as a bare rusty metal maybe with some paint/protective coating of some sort. Sort of like this.
    Picture-4-Sliding-hinge-joints-compressed.JPG
    BeamFracture2.jpg
  • rikcharr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not much progress here. Got the floor texture fairly well sorted, but the walls still need quite a bit of work. Hopefully I'll have a bigger jump to show next time.
    mv7gGOO.jpg
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyone seems to be doing a good job on the prop.

I didn't get nearly as much done as I had hoped this weekend but I did get a quick pipe material and made the box.

Zh21jea.png

bffDJXV.jpg
  • tetoranatti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tetoranatti polycounter lvl 2
    Completion other than strap. It's being prepared texture.
    Vhtds42.png?1
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    Hiya guys here is my incubator so far, I thought i'd give it a go as I always take on too big a projects and never finish! This time I'm going to stick to props :)

sdbbxEA.png

Any tips, appreciated :).

@DonEngland, Is your model unwrapped already? If not how do you colour things like you have?
  • dsenter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a whole lot to share tonight but gotta keep it going! Thank you for the feedback @rikcharr. Haven't figured out the lighting issue yet, I think it is related to my UVs. Anyway, I created these 2 textures in substance designer. Trying to bust these out fairly quickly and refine later. The basics are exposed for tweaking in UE. These are the painted brick and girder textures.

Painted_Brick_zpsvzrhbbzm.png

Painted_Rusted_Metal_zpsv422cbh7.png
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @dsenter: I like the brick substance. The yellow girder seems a bit too saturated. It may heavily contrast with the other elements in the scene.

@Holly Mellor: Nice progress so far. Will the egg box connect to the heating element? It looks a little too small right now. As for my model, it has multiple materials applied with different viewport colors. No UV's yet.

Some progress on the straps
    1d2KJ1a.png
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    DonEEEEEngland, way to raise the bar man, that looks great! Did you do that in Zbrush based on an imported basic mesh? Also, another question out of curiosity: I think I saw somebody else do the same with the straps in this thread (maybe it was your model, just a previous version), but is there a purpose for these straps to be arranged in such a way? I just want to know if it's like that because of the concept, or if that's actually seen in real life.

9pCRqSQ.png

Today was spent making the inside of the box and some details. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have finish this side of the highpoly and move on to the straps.

9eBNG0o.jpg
  • Skibur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skibur polycounter lvl 5
    @DonEngland, That looks really good. I would love to do the same, but I haven't really used ZBrush before, and I don't know if now is a good time to start...

@Justo, I'm also in the same boat with those straps. The concept shows them, but when you go to model them they seem really pointless.
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Justo: Thanks! Yes, that was a zbrush sculpt on an imported base mesh. Your mesh looks flat shaded, are going for a sub-d model later?

@Skibur: Thanks, ZBrush is great for organics.

The straps have slowed me down a lot. Those outer straps look like useless tape on models. I found a similar real world reference, but I'm not sure about which way to go with this. I will probably turn that area into a proper hip strap.
    6jU4UWb.jpg

No progress since the sculpt above.
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    rikcharr wrote: »
    Not much progress here. Got the floor texture fairly well sorted, but the walls still need quite a bit of work. Hopefully I'll have a bigger jump to show next time.
    mv7gGOO.jpg

The floor looks good so far, I'll like to see how you tackle the paint on the wall. It forced me to learn vertex painting haha.

May I ask how you got those glowing specks and fog around your lamps?
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    JonConley wrote: »
    Everyone seems to be doing a good job on the prop.

I didn't get nearly as much done as I had hoped this weekend but I did get a quick pipe material and made the box.

Zh21jea.png

bffDJXV.jpg

Nice, but isn't the locker a bit too tall? Or maybe just perspective distortion.
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Ok guys here's my blockout last 2 weeks, and the progress so far. Really slow progress since this is my first ever environment, but I've learnt: vertex painting, UE4 material editor, modularity, tiling texture strips and re-using the same texture all over again. Still working on this.
    2n081t5.png

30wwirq.png

2rrnw3s.png
  • rikcharr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy - I got the fog from this video:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOdTrIB5te0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOdTrIB5te0[/ame].
    I know you can get similar/better results with blueprints, but I haven't figured that out yet and don't know if I will have the extra time to spend on that and finish the environment right now. The glow specs are just a quick particle system I threw together and still need to adjust some values and refine the mask.
    N4EtnWy.jpg

Didn't have a lot of time this week, hopefully I'll have an update by the middle of the week.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @Wulf, if you read this, expect a guy named Justo to add you on Skype one o' these days. Eager to join you guys on Skype!

@rikcharr I love that tut hehe.

@Skibur and DonEngland, yeah, I think modifying the area is for the best.

Also @DonEngland, yeah, that pic was the completed "base" mesh, this post's pic is actually the finished highpoly (except straps). I now see the benefits of rendering something with a more reflective material...Some details are lost in this render:

3iY65Xh.png

What are you guys planning to do for the finished asset's plastic pieces of the straps? Making a very basic mesh that retains their form seems like way too many tris for their size.

Any C&C welcome. Next up, I'll open Zbrush and work on dem straps.

EDIT: Does anyone know which one is wulf?

9hVfAYH.jpg
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah the first guy is Wulf.
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Update on progress so far. Still have to optimize my lightmaps and placement of dirt and rust...they look a bit strange to me. Might also have to swap out some textures and optimize. Also don't know why I get that horizontal seam at the bottom of my screenshots. Also don't understand why my girder is reflecting light in the wrong places....

qryi5e.png
  • rikcharr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy - I don't know what is causing the seem along the bottom of the image, and the only thing I can figure for the highlight issues is that your normal maps could be inverted. Other than that, the lighting is looking a little flat to me, though that could be because mine is to contrasted and I've been staring at it for too long.

Current progress. The lighting is kicking my ass right now. Think I might be spending to much time on that and not enough on the assets. Still have a lot to do.
    jYNUPYt.jpg
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    mrgesy - I don't know what is causing the seem along the bottom of the image, and the only thing I can figure for the highlight issues is that your normal maps could be inverted. Other than that, the lighting is looking a little flat to me, though that could be because mine is to contrasted and I've been staring at it for too long.

Current progress. The lighting is kicking my ass right now. Think I might be spending to much time on that and not enough on the assets. Still have a lot to do.
    jYNUPYt.jpg

Yeah its not the normal map because I already took care of that problem. I found out it was the box reflection capture I was using and its location. I used sphere reflections instead and positioned them. And you're right, I do lack good shadows in the scene.

Yeah you've been working on the lighting too much :) Your girders look awfully gigantic! Your shadows are looking too dark also, do you have ambient light in form of skylight or PPV GI?
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Alright, I guess I'm almost done. Got the flu so I'm already tired and have no juice left. Might still tweak some things, but I sure learnt a lot this month!

29bd4k3.png
  • rikcharr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy - I think yours looks quite a bit better with that change, nice work. I do have a skylight in mine and just added a ppv right before I posted last night, but it was around 2:00 am and didn't feel like messing with it then. I've played with the settings a little and lightened the shadows to the point I can work on it and see what I'm actually doing. Thanks for the feedback.
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    mrgesy - I think yours looks quite a bit better with that change, nice work. I do have a skylight in mine and just added a ppv right before I posted last night, but it was around 2:00 am and didn't feel like messing with it then. I've played with the settings a little and lightened the shadows to the point I can work on it and see what I'm actually doing. Thanks for the feedback.

Np thanks for the feedback also. Really opened my eyes.
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Here is the final piece, reduced the lens flares and added a bit more dirt on the far wall module. Perspective looks very different from concept but I guess the concept has a false perspective.

sphc47.png
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Haytch wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've accepted the challenge and started work on it around 7pm today, i finished about 8:20 finishing the first prop (the lockers) I've done a short video recording my workflow, Feel free to give me some feedback as I'm self taught and Work on how I've taught myself, which may or may not always be the best way, I would also like a bit of critique etc here is a picture of the finished model in CRYENGINE

http://www.polycount.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27656&stc=1&d=1427919073

and the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERuveWHnCaM&feature=youtu.be

Sweet looking locker, but aren't the notes on the stickies a bit out of context? They seem to be referring to a high school scene whereas the concept and your interpretation do not.
  • Valitri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting back into this development stuff. Here is the fire extinguisher I came up with. Didn't put much time into the texture.
    Kfbpdv4.png
  • lloydj14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lloydj14 polycounter lvl 6
    @mrgesy Great job. I feel like have matched the feel of the concept superbly. Just one thing that is sticking out to me is the crispness/cleanliness of warning poster. I feel like they should just be a bit more crumpled/dirty to match with the rest of the scene.