Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge April 2015 (29)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Wulf polycounter lvl 7
RloDDkL.png

Hello everyone and welcome to the Monthly Noob Challenge for the month of March.

Welcome to the third installment of the challenge for the year of 2015!

Join our Skype group if you want! Add me on Skype and I will add you to the group.
Me: noble.wulf

You don't have to join the Skype if you don't want to though, and you don't need to ask to participate in the challenge, just start working and post your progress in this thread!

KF4R9g8.png

3HA1A91.jpg

Artist - Mitchell Mohrhauser
http://mitchsketch.blogspot.com/

5Twoeut.png

prop-design-portable-pncubator-by-sung-choi.jpg

Artist - Sung Choi
http://www.sung-choi.com/

5SGB61o.png

Feel free to approach either of the concepts however you like but I'd recommend making it as modular as possible to save time and keep things optimized. It's really up to you, and as long as you are learning, it doesn't matter right?

Also if you want to change up either concept a bit, as some people wanted, then feel free. Interpret these concepts to your liking.

There are some things that I would like to point out to for newcomers.
If you only want to do a few props as best you can, then feel free to go ahead and do it. This way you can gradually work on building up to a full scene before diving head-first into the whole ordeal.

B3Uy2w0.png

Please read all the rules before starting.

When you are just starting out making a scene, it can seem complicated or imposing, so take the time to break it down.

Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible and plan it out. A lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some reference images as well for different parts of the scene, maybe gather some refs and make it your own.

Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on.

Here are some specifics.
  • Try to post one critique for every post that you make. This will make for a better learning environment and help us all grow as artists.

• You must make your own textures, no stealing. We can't keep you from doing it, but the goal is to learn. You can use other textures and images to create your final texture, but please, no blatant copying of another artist's work.
  • You must use a game engine to present your work. Unreal Engine and CryEngine are very common engines that can be used, but feel free to use any alternatives that you want.

• You must try your best and finish as much as you can in the time frame provided.

• Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique. We don't need to have 1000 disjointed threads littering the forums.

• I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay very close to the concept, if not super close.

• Please stay away from using Ddo. It's great if you know what you're doing, and for a production pipeline supplement, but other than that, please don't use it. Ndo2 is allowed. This was talked about in the other thread, so please don't complain.

• Well that's about it. If you think that any rules should be changed, or there should be new additions to the rules, please let us know.
All that matters is that you learn, while being able to effectively critique others, as well as accept critiques on your own work. Remember to have fun. Cheers!

Replies

• skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
  • Haytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haytch polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, I've accepted the challenge and started work on it around 7pm today, i finished about 8:20 finishing the first prop (the lockers) I've done a short video recording my workflow, Feel free to give me some feedback as I'm self taught and Work on how I've taught myself, which may or may not always be the best way, I would also like a bit of critique etc here is a picture of the finished model in CRYENGINE

http://www.polycount.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27656&stc=1&d=1427919073

and the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERuveWHnCaM&feature=youtu.be
  • Mirhale
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mirhale vertex
    Liking the color scheme for this, +1!
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonConley polycounter lvl 8
    Crude block out in max:
    GEH2aEC.jpg

Fire extinguisher:
    ELffzkK.png
  • particleman1010
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    particleman1010 polycounter lvl 8
    I think I might try the Level this time. I have a level design question.

It looks like the process most adopt for game levels is to model props as individual models/objects and place them using the game engine editor, but I just can't seem to get into this process. I've been using 3dsmax for about 16 years, and seeing this concept art, my natural instinct is to just do the entire damn thing in 3dsmax first, then deconstruct it into game objects after the model is fully modeled and textured. This is partly because I am new-ish to level design, and 3dsmax is my happy place I tend to retreat to when other software gives me problems.

My assumption is that by avoiding a ton of back and forth, import/export, etc... the entire process will go faster. Can anyone explain why I am wrong about this?

Is the intent to avoid making objects too specific, so that they can be used to create a much larger level? I wouldn't have a hard time converting a specific detail mesh into a modular one, but I am having problems getting bogged down moving back and forth between software all the time.
  • lloydj14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lloydj14 polycounter lvl 6
    @ Haytch Firstly good start that not a bad effort for an hour 30 work. However you have deviated away from the concept. If this your intention that is fine but mention it otherwise I am assuming you are aiming for the concept. Also don't overlay a faded out copy of image over the top its distracting and makes it look a bit messy. The base texture seems good but I would work on the rust more. The rust feels bit all over the place I personally (I'm far from an expert) think it doesn't need as much and think about how/why/where the rust forms. I've just read this back and realise this seems quite harsh given you have only worked on it for an hour 30 hope it helps.
  • heyeye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6
    I think I might try the Level this time. I have a level design question.

It looks like the process most adopt for game levels is to model props as individual models/objects and place them using the game engine editor, but I just can't seem to get into this process. I've been using 3dsmax for about 16 years, and seeing this concept art, my natural instinct is to just do the entire damn thing in 3dsmax first, then deconstruct it into game objects after the model is fully modeled and textured. This is partly because I am new-ish to level design, and 3dsmax is my happy place I tend to retreat to when other software gives me problems.

My assumption is that by avoiding a ton of back and forth, import/export, etc... the entire process will go faster. Can anyone explain why I am wrong about this?

Is the intent to avoid making objects too specific, so that they can be used to create a much larger level? I wouldn't have a hard time converting a specific detail mesh into a modular one, but I am having problems getting bogged down moving back and forth between software all the time.

Speed and flexibility. The slow transition between engine and 3d software can be fixed with better workflow habits.In early stages, importing placeholder objects with correct grid dimensions can be automatically updated as you save iterations in max. If scale is off between objects, its easier to know right away and correct it while the object is in its primitive stage rather than trying to go back and do rebakes, topology cleanups, etc..

In the later stages, objects in engine look completely different than objects in 3d programs. Hell, even engine to engine the way things calculate is different. It sounds like common sense, but the best place to finalize an asset is in whatever engine it's gonna live in. Getting comfortable with the shader tools in your game engine helps speed this up.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record I think, but yea, better to realize your objects suck in the earliest stages then the 11th hour and trying to wade through all your maps and topology trying to bandaid the issues.... been there, done that. Not fun, especially with deadlines.
  • Haytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haytch polycounter lvl 9
    lloydj14 wrote: »
    @ Haytch Firstly good start that not a bad effort for an hour 30 work. However you have deviated away from the concept. If this your intention that is fine but mention it otherwise I am assuming you are aiming for the concept. Also don't overlay a faded out copy of image over the top its distracting and makes it look a bit messy. The base texture seems good but I would work on the rust more. The rust feels bit all over the place I personally (I'm far from an expert) think it doesn't need as much and think about how/why/where the rust forms. I've just read this back and realise this seems quite harsh given you have only worked on it for an hour 30 hope it helps.

No that's a good reply thanks, i will finalise all the final textures when i am finished, i like to get a few props in for scale reference before i start working on the scene, I've used the locker as key reference, Here is an update on the project so far.... i've been working on this since 7:30 again, its now 22:25.... I started working on some modular Walls etcs, I'm going to move slightly away from the concept of a scifi scene and make it look more derelict and maybe sort of a gym entrance? or a public toilets... but here is the update so far... no real lighting done yet or color correction just getting the models in... i am working on the support beams now, and still recording my workflow too for youtube :)polycount_challenge__april_20015____1_update_by_haytch0-d8o4z0v.jpg
  • Haytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haytch polycounter lvl 9
    Haytch wrote: »
    No that's a good reply thanks, i will finalise all the final textures when i am finished, i like to get a few props in for scale reference before i start working on the scene, I've used the locker as key reference, Here is an update on the project so far.... i've been working on this since 7:30 again, its now 22:25.... I started working on some modular Walls etcs, I'm going to move slightly away from the concept of a scifi scene and make it look more derelict and maybe sort of a gym entrance? or a public toilets... but here is the update so far... no real lighting done yet or color correction just getting the models in... i am working on the support beams now, and still recording my workflow too for youtube :)polycount_challenge__april_20015____1_update_by_haytch0-d8o4z0v.jpg

Update###

Started working on the support beams, my next step is to do the floor and ceiling then to add some pipes and grafiti

here's the pic

polycount_challenge__april_20015____2_update_by_haytch0-d8o55a8.jpg

Im off to bed now, it's 11 here, goodnight all, happy easter if i don't speak to you all!
  • Haytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haytch polycounter lvl 9
    Here's my latest update guys, I was playing GTA on the ps4 whilst making this so took me a little longer, But i've got the floors done, changed the ceiling for now too, added the lights to the scene and some pipes, still need to work on the other props etc to mess the place up a bit, any feedback would be greatly appreciated right now.

polycount_challenge__april_20015____3_update_by_haytch0-d8o7nzh.jpg

peace.
  • particleman1010
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye wrote: »
    Speed and flexibility. The slow transition between engine and 3d software can be fixed with better workflow habits.In early stages, importing placeholder objects with correct grid dimensions can be automatically updated as you save iterations in max. If scale is off between objects, its easier to know right away and correct it while the object is in its primitive stage rather than trying to go back and do rebakes, topology cleanups, etc..

In the later stages, objects in engine look completely different than objects in 3d programs. Hell, even engine to engine the way things calculate is different. It sounds like common sense, but the best place to finalize an asset is in whatever engine it's gonna live in. Getting comfortable with the shader tools in your game engine helps speed this up.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record I think, but yea, better to realize your objects suck in the earliest stages then the 11th hour and trying to wade through all your maps and topology trying to bandaid the issues.... been there, done that. Not fun, especially with deadlines.

Thanks for your advice. Is there anything specific you can recommend as far as workflow habits?
  • Haytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haytch polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for your advice. Is there anything specific you can recommend as far as workflow habits?

I'm self taught so i can't tell you specifics but what i do is design the main prop that stands out, so I can use it as a scale reference, once i've done this I then start to model the modular pieces ie: walls, pipes, floors etc, then i start adding some lights into the scene, once that is done i will then make the rest of the props and add them to the scene, then go back and touch up all textures etc and finalize the lighting
  • Haytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haytch polycounter lvl 9
    Ok guys so here is my finale, 3 days, critiques please!

here's the fire extinguisher too...

extinguisher_by_haytch0-d8o86gf.jpg

polycount_finale_by_haytch0-d8o8cpv.jpg
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably going to take a crack at that prop ... maybe starting next week, tho. Gotta finish up a map jam this weekend!
  • YakZSmelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YakZSmelk polycounter lvl 11
    @Haytch

I didn't know grass grew from concrete. :)

The foliage is a nice touch but unless you're going to rough up that concrete (which you totally should!) I'd remove the grass. Right now you grass growing from freshly laid concrete.

Also it's unclear where the main light source it coming from, is it the light fixtures or the sun coming in from outside? It's pretty unclear if the light fixture are on at all, IF they are try varying the light color. Incandescent bulbs tend to give off a more saturated yellow light then sun light. Use this to add some more variety to the scene.

Continuing with the lighting, why is the ceiling so bright?!
  • Haytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haytch polycounter lvl 9
    YakZSmelk wrote: »
    @Haytch

The foliage is a nice touch but unless you're going to rough up that concrete (which you totally should!) I'd remove the grass. Right now you grass growing from freshly laid concrete.

Also it's unclear where the main light source it coming from, is it the light fixtures or the sun coming in from outside? It's pretty unclear if the light fixture are on at all, IF they are try varying the light color. Incandescent bulbs tend to give off a more saturated yellow light then sun light. Use this to add some more variety to the scene.

at the moment the ceiling is actually the floor raised up, yes i am going to rough the concrete up insanely so there will be lots of debree on the floor, and Yes i am struggling with the lights at the moment because even though i've set up lights i think i need to add some sort of glare near the bulbs for it to actually look on, the light source is coming from the outside but the lights play a part in the brightness inside. I will try darkening the ceiling and adding a few flares, thanks
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low poly with ao and normals. Will be taking it into substance painter and do most of the work there.
    fNPGSRz.png

I chose to go 512x1024 on the map to allow for the middle of the body to have as much space as possible to get the
    warning stickers and instructions in fairly clearly.
    Maps:
    7LP01TR.png
    Q1JsbhV.png
  • Haytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haytch polycounter lvl 9
    YakZSmelk wrote: »
    @Haytch

Fixed the lighting, all have to do now i do the floor

polycount_finale_2_by_haytch0-d8o9eb7.jpg
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey look, my second fully completed model:
    LIrLIMf.png
  • Jesse Walsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Walsh polycounter lvl 7
    Looks pretty good. I would watch where you spend your polys though. The main cylinder could definitely use a few more. It especially shows up at the bottom. Don't worry, polys are pretty cheap these days for console/PC games. Oh, also your plastic cone where the juice shoots out looks a little more like metal than plastic. If this is really your second model you are doing great!
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty good. I would watch where you spend your polys though. The main cylinder could definitely use a few more. It especially shows up at the bottom. Don't worry, polys are pretty cheap these days for console/PC games. Oh, also your plastic cone where the juice shoots out looks a little more like metal than plastic. If this is really your second model you are doing great!

Yeah, this is my second fully finished model, the first was the shield in February's challenge. I've started a fair amount and lurked around for quite a few years paying attention to how people do things. I had the cylinder at a higher poly but dropped it down based on the suggestion of others. Right now the entire thing sits at 1,242 triangles.
  • Jesse Walsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should post up your wireframe. I can't quite tell from your render, but maybe you could use a plane for the pull ring and apply those polys to the base?
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wireframe. I thought about doing the alpha plane, but like you said, geometry is cheap, so figured I'd spend the ~60 tris vs having alpha anywhere.
    yq2wFGr.png
  • Jesse Walsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geo looks nice. I'm just trying to be nit picky and help out I suppose. I'm kinda big on silhouette, so if it was me, I would spend the extra 60-100 polys to get the bottom more rounded. Honestly, probably not really worth it at this point. It is a smalllll part of the scene. Anyway, keep it up!
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geo looks nice. I'm just trying to be nit picky and help out I suppose. I'm kinda big on silhouette, so if it was me, I would spend the extra 60-100 polys to get the bottom more rounded. Honestly, probably not really worth it at this point. It is a smalllll part of the scene. Anyway, keep it up!

I do agree that it would benefit from it, and it really wouldn't be a whole lot added. I may go back through and change it, shouldn't take much effort. Thanks for the critique.

Figured I'd upload it to sketchfab. -edited to remove untrue statement about sketchfab

[sketchfab]a05bb8880abb41f28a8890d77318511f[/sketchfab]
    Fire Extinguisher by thejon113 on Sketchfab
  • ecas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ecas polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys

I'm also starting to do this project and I need some help with the workflow.
    What I did is to start the scene in Cinema4D and putting the ref image in the background, I also
    started to match the camera angle and focal length, I had a lot of problems with that maybe because the
    perspective is not real (?), and then I'm starting the build the basic objects, it's the same concept
    that particleman1010 talk about before.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but you guys model everything in 3D and placing in the game engine so you create
    the same room but not the same concept right?
    I mean you don't try to match the camera angle or the focal length, you are just doing it by looking at the image and try to have the same scale and details?
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f1r3w4rr10r polycounter lvl 9
    Hmm, at first I thought about starting on the environment too this time, but seeing how many people actually went for it, I think I'll just go with the incubator and maybe even animate it.
  • Haytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haytch polycounter lvl 9
    Ok, so... I think i've finished the scene now, would love some feedback from you guys!

polycount_finale_3_by_haytch0-d8ocwc7.jpg
  • Haytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haytch polycounter lvl 9
    Here is the final products :D hope you guys enjoyed....

Final Scene
    polycount_finale_3_by_haytch0-d8ocwc7.jpg

Fire Extinguisher - Poly Count = 804 TOTAL.
    extinguisher_1_by_haytch0-d8od0on.jpg

Boxes - Poly Count - 84 TOTAL.
    boxes_1_by_haytch0-d8od0pn.jpg

Pipes - Poly Count - Variety between 48 - 100
    pipes_1_by_haytch0-d8od0pc.jpg

Locker - Poly Count - 800 TOTAL.
    locker_1_by_haytch0-d8od0p3.jpg

This whole Scene was created in Blender and took me 8 Hours over 3 days, Importing Modular pieces, working on props and texturing, All props were made from scratch and textures were made from sample images in google search, some were made entirely from scratch.

Color Grading was done in photoshop for the final scene render and imported back to cryengine, all pics are realtime with no effects added to them.

If you guys have any environment art you want me to work on don't hesitate to contact me. my skype is: haytchey
  • ecas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ecas polycounter lvl 8
    @Haytch
    This is only the 4th of April and your scene is almost complete, insane progress.
    There are a few things I think you need to fix,
    1. There are a few straight lines in the floor, where there is ground and it's a bit
    weird, you should break the concrete a lot more, plus give it a few cracks in the middle.
    2. There is something going with this pipe, it looks squash maybe it's a camera.
    3. You have some very long bricks in your texture and they don't fit with the small ones in my opinion.
    4. I don't understand where this pipe goes.

Overall it looks really great, you should still polish a few things here are there and that's it.
  • Haytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haytch polycounter lvl 9
    ecas wrote: »
    @Haytch
    This is only the 4th of April and your scene is almost complete, insane progress.
    There are a few things I think you need to fix,
    1. There are a few straight lines in the floor, where there is ground and it's a bit
    weird, you should break the concrete a lot more, plus give it a few cracks in the middle.
    2. There is something going with this pipe, it looks squash maybe it's a camera.
    3. You have some very long bricks in your texture and they don't fit with the small ones in my opinion.
    4. I don't understand where this pipe goes.

Overall it looks really great, you should still polish a few things here are there and that's it.

Thanks for your feedback bud, Unfortunately The cryengine terrain is a bit crap, its smoothed out really hard and still is quite blocky, its at 2K resolution too, Yeah I have a fast workflow The bricks I do agree need to be a bit smaller, I'm thinking about changing the bricks to a damaged plaster or peeling plaster, and the pipe is fine theres just a shadow lol, and I'm not sure where the other pipe leads to either, outside somewhere? lol
  • Khaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm loving the environment work coming from this. as it is here's my progress on the incubator. couple of hours so far.

84Wbi4p.jpg?1

screenie from blender.. honestly i'm not sure about the circle on the side. it's skewed.. may just floating geometry it and then blend it in 3d coat.
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick progress on the locker before I shower and grab some lunch.
    The doors needs to be made a bit wider I think.
    rTRaHvP.png
  • Necrossx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Necrossx polycounter lvl 4
    Hey i'm a real noob at 3D, so i decided to give the incubator a go, I still have to figure out a lot of things, like the proper use of turbosmooth (that's why i havent used it here), baking maps, and how to actually use an engine to render it.
    But anyways, here's my progress at it, i really really need some feedback and suggestions on it RSmt37a.png

Also, i'd like to know if my approach on this circle part is the correct one this far
    btTMUmS.png
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so between everything else today I got the locker made and baked out the low poly. The low poly is 1,012 tris. I wanted to keep geometry for the handles and I kept 2 planes (form something like /\) for the hinge also.

Renders in marmoset with AO and normals.
    J4DyDnn.png
    gjECk6e.jpg

Wireframe. A bit could be saved in the handle.
    QKRgJvm.jpg

Maps
    UWMFmNq.png
    QBBVxoy.png
  • Skibur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skibur polycounter lvl 5
    I've been off the tools for about four years, but have finally decided that I should get back into it. I forgot how much effort is involved, even with a 'simple' concept.

Here's my progress:

WU7EqWp.jpg?1
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skibur wrote: »
    I've been off the tools for about four years, but have finally decided that I should get back into it. I forgot how much effort is involved, even with a 'simple' concept.

Here's my progress:

WU7EqWp.jpg?1

Looking good. I see a couple triangulation issues on the angled side. Also, it may need to be a bit taller (or not as wide) to get the same proportions of the concept.

Marmoset Render of my Lockers.
    XvqGD3Z.jpg
  • MrDakotaWood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to give the environment a shot since I've been spying on this challenge for about 6 months now without giving it a go (plus I need to get better at working with a proper PBR workflow) so here's my first asset for the scene, the Fire Extinguisher. I spent a while trying to get it to look right and even though I'm not 100% satisfied with it I'm calling it done since it's not a massive part of the scene. Any C&C/advice from veterans of the trade (or anyone really) will be most appreciated :D

9nivRTM.jpg
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland polycounter lvl 9
    @Necrossx: when placing that circle, you may want to keep the edge flow going around the perimeter of the outer edge of that panel. Right now, if you add a control loop to the perimeter, you will be adding edges into your circle. Those edges will keep your circle from being round.

I have blocked out the prop. I'm not sure what kind of latch to make yet. Does the locking mechanism for the front panel have a real world name? Looks like the yellow latch controls posts that go into the bottom panel while maintaining pressure on the egg box.

eSl1CNh.png
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Current Progress, spent a lot of the day fighting with Unity 5 and Substance to get things looking the same across both. Had issues with linear color and sRGB.

KL76v1M.jpg
  • dsenter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dsenter polycounter lvl 3
    Finished my blocking pass today. Still working out the lighting. I don't have much experience with UE so I'm looking forward to spending more time with the lighting. Blocking done in C4D and 3ds Max.

Blocking_zpsqyfjwopa.jpg

edit: spelling.
  • Whalebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whalebones polycounter lvl 11
    The one thing I would say is that the canister's material is very glossy, take down the gloss a bit, it just needs a little bit more roughness =]

It could definitely have benefitted from having some more geometry put into it as well, perspective wise, looking at that from first and third person you'd be able to look down on it and see the edges clear as day.

Hope that helps!
    JonConley wrote: »
    I do agree that it would benefit from it, and it really wouldn't be a whole lot added. I may go back through and change it, shouldn't take much effort. Thanks for the critique.

Figured I'd upload it to sketchfab. It doesn't do pbr, but good enough.

[sketchfab]a05bb8880abb41f28a8890d77318511f[/sketchfab]
    Fire Extinguisher by thejon113 on Sketchfab
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whalebones wrote: »
    The one thing I would say is that the canister's material is very glossy, take down the gloss a bit, it just needs a little bit more roughness =]

It could definitely have benefitted from having some more geometry put into it as well, perspective wise, looking at that from first and third person you'd be able to look down on it and see the edges clear as day.

Hope that helps!

Sketch fab doesn't allow for PBR materials. So I just had to set values, the screenshots of it are closer to what it actually is. I also do agree that if it were to be used close to a player more geo would be needed (and even a bit more around the main cylinder as is).

Here is a screenshot from within Unity at a relatively close first person view.
    oleL2a0.png

Here is another view from inside of substance:
    QoagaTd.png

As you can see there is a noticeable difference in the material between the 2, and I've been fighting with unity to try and get something a bit closer.
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland polycounter lvl 9
    @JonConley: Sketchfab does support PBR. When editing your model go to scene and switch the renderer from "Classic" to "PBR"
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland wrote: »
    @JonConley: Sketchfab does support PBR. When editing your model go to scene and switch the renderer from "Classic" to "PBR"

Did not know that. Was looking for it in the wrong tab. Thanks for the heads up. I've updated the model to use pbr now.
  • Jesse Walsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think my incubator might be a little bit to tall. I am making really low poly pieces and then quickly smoothing them out in zbrush. I'll probably use zbrush for all the detail stuff as well instead of trying to sub-d everything for a normal bake.
    dNmb5vH.jpg
  • ecas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ecas polycounter lvl 8
    @JonConley
    Awesome work but I think you have some problems with the normal maps, there is a
    bump on the entire model, I pretty sure it's a smoothing group problem
    the flat planes should look like this quick normal over paint.

As of my work, I'm having trobles to figure out how to start this kind of workflow, still need to do a lot more tests.
    Do you guys know any good tutorials that show this workflow?
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JonConley
    Awesome work but I think you have some problems with the normal maps, there is a
    bump on the entire model, I pretty sure it's a smoothing group problem
    the flat planes should look like this quick normal over paint.

As of my work, I'm having trobles to figure out how to start this kind of workflow, still need to do a lot more tests.
    Do you guys know any good tutorials that show this workflow?

You're right, if it was just a flat plane it would look like that, but I've been told by quite a few people that if you can use a single smoothing group over the entire model it actually helps eliminate seams. Since the bake is relative to the low poly surface it doesn't introduce any artifacts.

In marmoset with normals, metalness and gloss.
    If you look at the highlights going across the doors they are in no way mishapen. There are only 2 doors baked (the 2 on the left on top). Call those A and B it goes:
    AB BA
    BA AB

oVkADfc.jpg
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I ended up getting the floor bake done and created a material in substance painter. Then fixed some issues with the assets in Unity not looking right:
    8LBP46d.jpg
  • particleman1010
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mean you don't try to match the camera angle or the focal length, you are just doing it by looking at the image and try to have the same scale and details?

ogTcLab.jpg

I did a perspective match in 3dsmax, got me much closer to the right proportions than any other method. I think for this, since I have a pretty close match between the concept, max, and ue4, I am going to build most of the detail in max, then decide how to break down the objects for export. I think for a very small scene such as this, the workflows are about the same efficiency.

I assume it is better to modularize your workflow when there is considerably more repetitive details, like with larger levels. Almost everything in the concept is unique in some way.